Team Provodnikov REALLY Wants Brandon Rios Next

BY Michael Woods ON August 19, 2014

algieri_provadnikov

The proverbial ball is in Bam Bam's court. Team Provodnikov, led by manager Vadim Kornilov, tells TSS they are aiming to have The Siberian Rocky back in the ring in November, and would be overjoyed to have Brandon Rios standing across from Ruslan on that date, and on HBO.

"We're working on it," Kornilov told me. "As soon as Rios gets over his fears of Ruslan, we will make the fight. His promoter and manager already said in the press they want to do the fight. A November date is being is being discussed, no site has been planned yet, but we are okay to fight anywhere but the opponent's hometown!"

So, Rios is the most likely foe for Rocky/Ruslan? "I think it is very likely for the Rios fight to happen, if he's not going to back out," Kornilov told me. "Everybody is all for the fight."

I don't see Rios as the timid or backing out type. I reached out to him for a response, friends.

The Commish says:

boxing's version of "Demolition Derby."

Both guys can't stand opponents who move on them. Both guys love it when opponents come right at them.

Maybe this fight should be new combat sports BKB's first PPV event.

I'd pay to see it.

I hope the fight can/will be made...in a ring, in the Pit or in a phone booth.

Just make it!

-Randy G.

Make this fight and put it on the Pac Algeri undercard and you have solid PPV sales

Froggy says:

Good idea ! Roach will have two of his guys get decisive victories on the same card !

boxing's version of "Demolition Derby."

Maybe this fight should be new combat sports BKB's first PPV event.

I'd pay to see it.

I hope the fight can/will be made...in a ring, in the Pit or in a phone booth.

Just make it!

-Randy G.

Hehehe! You got jokes. I've not seen "a phone booth" since the teen years. And that was on movie sets. Phone booths are extinct. I Skyped some of my younger Fil-Am, Fil-Mex and Fil-Can cousins and asked them about phone booths in North America. They made my 30-$omething-arse feel like the oldest dude on the planet.

In history books, museums, old Flintstone cartoons and old movies are the only places that they have seen phone booths. [World War II and Viet'Nam War $uperman booths are what I called them.]

WTF! Now I know how my granny was feeling when my then 7-year-old arse told her that her fancy "dialing" phone was broke. It was so odd that it appeared like 30 seconds to minutes for every number to finish circular dialing. In the 1980$ and 1990$, if the phone didn't have quickie-push buttons, it was ancient technology that got on the last nerve of the instantaneously generation X-Y.

Times are a changing. I can't wait for the first bout on the moon or in Mars. And youngans at that time will be laughing at my old arse reminiscing about the fights at casinos, arenas and stadiums on planet Earth. Holla!

oubobcat says:

Personally I'd love to see this fight. There is no way it can't be good. It would be a slugfest from the moment the opening bell sounds until the fight comes to a conclusion.

For Provodnikov, this fight makes a ton of sense. As we saw in the Algieri fight, Herrera fight and some in the Bradley fight, anyone who gives him movement can have success. Rios though prefers to slug and even if he tried to box is not nearly as athletic or capable to do so as the three above fighters.

For Rios, this fight makes little sense. Provodnikov is relentless and will be pouring on the pressure and punches from the opening bell. This is the kind of fight that could take a lot out of a fighter like Rios. Rios is better off targeting someone else at this point in his career. One fight for example that makes a lot more sense for him right now would be a rubber match against Mike Alvarado.

stormcentre says:

Ditto - all the above.

There is no way it can't be good, and I personally have looked forward to it almost as much as a 3G V Froch, Kessler, Bika or Ward fight.

It will be a blood bath with mucho punches thrown in absolute spite.

Skibbz says:

It would be a great fight for Provodnikov and I think it would be just as good for Rios. He can display his courage to his fans and everyone watching (almost everyone watching) will be on the edge of their seats because every punch could be the final blow.

I'd really like to a determined effort by Ruslan to go to the body... Rios is at home when his brainbox is steeped in treacle so to take him out I think you've got to sink him with torpedos to his body. Target the liver!

riverside says:

Hopefully it happens, doesn't look like Brandon Carried his punch from the lightweight division up to welterweight, and there is not way he can keep up with Ruslan in a telephone boot war. I would be surprise if Robert Garcia has Brandon Box a little bit and pick his shot, we would probably see that for the first two rounds. The outcome Brandon will be too brave, his corner will have to come in to rescue his well being.

Rios may be beat to a pulp and end up speaking and acting permanently like the way he was joking around making fun of Roach for having a disability. Karma is a B

Froggy says:

Oh, the irony !

Rios is already slurring his words and has been for the last year. Sometimes its not as pronounced. After his last outing against Chavez it was barely noticable.

Maked me wonder if he's making a conscious effort to completely sound out his words.

Denise Alvarez says:

I like Ruslan, he is a powerful slugger. I think he narrowly lost to Chris Algeri, who outboxed Ruslan, but this will probably be a easier fight for him. Rios doesn't box, he just likes to brawl and smother, but Ruslan is going to beat the heck out of Rios. Just might be the lesson Rios needs! Rios might be able to hang for a awhile but wait till the fight is over and see how Rios face looks!

flackoguapo says:

This fight reminds me of a Mexican, gangsta' pit-bull vs a Siberian Husky. And I love it. These dudes go to war and they both have awesome attitudes on the way they go about it. I can see Rios getting stopped but I do not see it being a one sided beat down as some are seeing it. Provo is there to be hit all fight long and Rios will graciously welcome your punches to his face so he can let his off. This can go back and forth early and the man with the most endurance of all kinds will come out winning by stoppage down the stretch. Too much will be taken out of the one who gets the worst of it early. Provo has an edge IMO because he is explosive and can get off his punches sooner. I also think he has better stamina than Rios has recently shown. Rios has a nasty left hook and seems to go an extra "all out" when he smells blood in the water. Hard to pick a winner in a fight with these types of styles.

Latest Articles

thefirstannualcommonsenserulesawards
billywrightthe50yearoldheavyweight
jojodanrematcheswithkevinbizierfriday
theavilasfighteroftheyearandmore
tarverwantstofightdavidhaye
stevensonandsukhotskiymakeweight
boxingoddsbeterbievvspagefornabavacantwbonabolightheavyweighttitlevacantibfnorthamericanheavyweighttitlefriday
boxingoddsbiziervsioninibfwelterweighttitleeliminatorfriday