BKB Fight Results; Rosado Stops Rugged Man Vera in the Pit

BY David A. Avila ON August 17, 2014

bkb

LAS VEGAS - If anything the geometric design of the pit fighting concept proved to be a big factor in most of the fights and it was in the main event as Gabe Rosado overcome a knockdown from Bryan Vera and rallied to win by knockout on Saturday.

A crowd of more than 2,500 saw the debut of Big Knockout Boxing which turned out to have not as many knockouts as expected. But the main event saw Rosado knock Texas tough Vera with a counter right that ended the night with an extravaganza knockout.

It was the best knockout of the night that saw four knockouts in total after eight bouts.

The configurations of the pit which were circular on nature and 17 feet in diameter proved room enough for those fighters who like to box and move. But the lip surrounding the pit proved to loom large as an obstacle in every fight. It did so in the Rosado win.

Vera connected with a right cross on Rosado whose foot was near the lip. The force of the punch and the lip tripped Rosado who went down and it was ruled a knockdown by referee Kenny Bayless. Rosado protested a bit then resumed fighting and deposited Vera with an overhand right seconds later. Surprisingly, Vera got up.

From the third round on Rosado connected with that overhand right at will. He even threw in some Sugar Ray Leonard windmill moves that seemed to entertain the crowd. Vera was lost at that point. But he’s not a fighter who quits.

Vera amped up his attack and kept Rosado moving away and firing that right on occasion. The Texan never quit and was looking for that knockout.

In the six round, Vera attacked again and ran into a counter right from Rosado. Down he went and his head seemed to catch the lip of the pit. His neck kind of contorted. He got up stumbling all over the pit and Bayless stopped the fight.

“I did hit him with a big shot. That’s what I do,” said Rosado of Philadelphia. “I’m going to be a boxer.”vera rosado

Other bouts

Junior middleweight David Estrada defeated Eddie Caminero again and once again it was a bruising and exhausting fight for both. Estrada’s strength and stamina proved the difference as he knocked down Caminero three times but couldn’t put the tough kid from Mass. away. After seven rounds Estrada was given the decision unanimously.

“He knew he was tough I fought him before on Shobox,” said Estrada.

Oxnard’s Javier “Pelos” Garcia knocked out Darnell Jiles at 1:48 of round five to win the BKB welterweight title in a rough fight that saw some intentional head butts. A left hook ended the night for Jiles who didn’t respond to referee Russell Mora’s instructions after getting knockdown.

Kushid Abdulaev, who now trains in Oxnard, knocked down Ricardo Pinell with a right cross in round five to win by unanimous decision in a middleweight contest.

Boston’s Gabe Duluc won a majority decision over San Antonio’s Kendo Castaneda despite being deposited to the floor by a five punch combination. Duluc out-boxed Castaneda to win the majority decision after five rounds.

Oxnard’s Herbert Acevedo blasted Raul Tovar three times in three rounds. A left hook tagged Tovar in round two. They resumed and a right hand put Tovar down again but he beat the count. In the third round a left-right-left combination from the Oxnard fighter put Tovar down for good at 1:39 of round three.

Lekan Byfield out-pointed Don Mouton after five 2-minute rounds of exchanges. Mouton nearly stopped Byfield but referee Jay Nady decided he was clear enough to continue in round three. A left hook nearly ended the round. All three judges scored it for Byfield.

The action began with big heavyweights Kevin Pollard winning by technical knockout over Chicago’s Boban Simic at 1:30 of the third round. It was clear thatPollard seemed a little more comfortable despite the alien confines and small dimensions. Pollard’s strong jabs set up the stoppage after snapping Simic’s head a few times.

“He was solid. All respect to him,” said Pollard.

That's a small space .(I hope that rim is padded)....I wondered how Rosario knocked out the usually durable Vera when I read the results yesterday. But looking at that ring tells the whole story. I'll see if I can find a video before I say too much more.

That lip is a stupid idea. A good way to ruin and ankle or knee. Remove it.

Froggy says:

I thought the same thing, since this was their first event, hopefully the first change will be the "ring" !

The Shadow says:

here it is my friend

[video=youtube;vlSMtxxn_a8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlSMtxxn_a8[/video]

I had no doubt that The Shadow would find that video. Holla!

Good looking out Shadow, I could not find it.

2 minute rounds, small ring, definitely had a lot of acton.

Maybe this is the answer for Lara. Or would he just run outside the platform as well?

Chris L says:

Looks like a bit of a gimmick, the ring could be dangerous and it more or less forces fighters to go toe to toe with no ropes to fall back on.

Noticed that the wins don't get added to fighters records too (as they shouldn't).

Am wondering what Rosado will do from here, now he is the bkb middleweight champ will he keep on fighting there or will he come back to boxing?

BFF says:

i cant believe this ring was approved by the sanctioning body. this style of fighting cant be good for pro boxers because the wear and tear would accumulate fast in this all brawl toe toe style and it would only shorten their already short boxing careers.. it kind of reminds me of a street fight setting and the lip of ring is the curb of a sidewalk, BKB might as well have made the canvas out of asphalt.....

That ring was not approved by boxing sanctioning of the alphabet-sanctioning organizations. It was approved for combat competing -- not per se regulated traditional professional or amateur boxing -- by the NSAC.

There will be no recording of this throwback style of ancient boxing in Egypt on the pugs' record books. The only difference in these bouts and ancient ones, is that the pugs had on trunks and gloves, instead of just hand wraps. Holla!

The Commish says:

ould never have approved that "pit" or whatever they call it--not with that circular curb. I believe the curb/lip is padded, but that will make little difference if a fighter if a fighter falls hard and the curb "karate chops" his neck. There will be injuries and they WILL be serious.

Perhaps they can remove the curb and paint a circular (choose a color) line around the pit. Then they should have a line judge who is responsible for deducting points any time a fighter steps outside the line. It would be so much better than having to wait until a BKB fighter suffers a debilitating spinal chord injury from landingon the curb.

I can't believe the NSAC approved that!

-Randy G.

stormcentre says:

I think they have that idea (circular ring without ropes) from Russian Sambo fighting.

It is just a throwback to the origin of boxing which started in ancient Egypt. Those pugs, with white rags wrapped around their hands, fought naked in a pit. Holla!

The super elites naked-arse pugs of ancient times wrapped "leather thongs," known as "himantes" around their hands and wrists, according to ancient writings and painting found in Egypt, Greece and Rome. Holla!

Here goes the bout with super-closeup view. Holla at it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpwtB_faVxE&list=. Holla!

Wow. ...a fighter could get some serious leverage by placing their back foot on the " curb " and pushing off while they punch....Or be tripped moving backwards. .....brutal.

Thanks for the vid Shadow.

The Commish says:

It is gonna' take some time for me to get used to BKB fighting.

But I will keep an open mind.

-Randy G.

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=The Commish;61841]It is gonna' take some time for me to get used to BKB fighting.

But I will keep an open mind.

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

Commish, it has some interesting angles to it.

Considering the budgets, imagine some MMA guys joining in to take on boxers, playing up that whole "MMA vs. Boxing" narrative that always promises to get ink.

Or what about some of these matchups:

Ricardo Mayorga vs. Rosado for the BKB title
Kimbo Slice vs. Audley Harrison or some other faded heavyweight with a bit of a name
Kimbo Slice vs. Chael Sonnen
Tony Thompson vs. Shannon Briggs
Dereck Chisora vs. Shannon Briggs (after two more defeats, Chisora will likely be their heavyweight poster boy)
Roy Jones vs. Anderson Silva (holy sh*t!)
Randall Bailey vs. Jesus Soto-Krash or anyone
Mike Alvarado vs. Randall Bailey
Michael Katsidis vs. Juan Diaz
Jorge Linares vs. Daniel Estrada

I'm sure either of these can be had for reasonable six-figure sums.

I would watch this at the edge of my seat with popcorn solidly in tow!

The Commish says:

[QUOTE=The Shadow;61849]Commish, it has some interesting angles to it.

Or what about some of these matchups:

Ricardo Mayorga vs. Rosado for the BKB title
Kimbo Slice vs. Chael Sonnen
Tony Thompson vs. Shannon Briggs
Roy Jones vs. Anderson Silva (holy sh*t!)
Randall Bailey vs. Jesus Soto-Krash or anyone
Mike Alvarado vs. Randall Bailey
Michael Katsidis vs. Juan Diaz
Jorge Linares vs. Daniel Estrada

I'm sure either of these can be had for reasonable six-figure sums.

I would watch this at the edge of my seat with popcorn solidly in tow![/QUOTE]

Those are some very interesting matchups, Shadow. I am going to send these to Gerry Cooney so we can talk about them on the air on Friday.

This is the sport I think Shannon Briggs should go to.

-Randy G.

Latest Articles

myhowthingshavechanged
ndambeatsstevensinibfmiddleweighteliminator
samsolimannearingendofnyccamp
teamfighttowalkhostingsecondannualgala
wbcibfwbahavesecondsummit
heatherqtheheatqhardyheadlinesupcomingbroadwayboxingcardinsupportofbreastcancerawarenessmonth
usaolympianjoseramirezwillbehonoredatfresnostatevssandiegostategamethisfriday