Danny Garcia Destroys Rod Salka in Mismatch of the Year

BY Kelsey McCarson ON August 09, 2014

danny-garcia

Let’s face it. Nobody wanted to see TBRB, Ring, WBA and WBC junior welterweight champion Danny Garcia take on Rod Salka on Saturday except for the people who made the fight and perhaps some of the fight-crazed crowd that watched it unfold live at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Salka, a lightweight, didn’t deserve to face the king of the 140-pound division to the point that both alphabet orgs chose to refuse sanctioning the fight, so the bout was fought above the junior welterweight limit.

Garcia, from Philadelphia, defeated Salka by TKO in Round 2. Garcia knocked Salka down three times in the round, the last coming at 2:31. The hope now, of course, is that the card was just a prelude to a unification bout between Garcia and IBF champion Lamont Peterson, who defeated his overmatched opponent on the same card.

“I want to thank Showtime for giving me the opportunity to showcase my skills,” said Garcia after the fight, and he was exactly right. This was nothing more than a showcase fight for Garcia. Salka had no chance.

It was clear from the start that Garcia was the bigger and stronger fighter. Garcia must have felt it too, because he moved forward more than typical and carried the action to his smaller opponent. Round 1 looked like a sparring session between the man-sized Garcia and the smallish Salka, who tried to box from the outside but was probably surprised by Garcia’s edge in hand speed.

Garcia walked the smaller Salka down in Round 2 and put him down hard with a left hook. Salka rose to his feet but was met with the same terrible truth: Garcia was bigger, faster, stronger and better. Garcia landed a hard right hand to put Salka down again. Salka stood back up but was simply outgunned. A vicious left hook to the head proved what everyone knew before the opening bell sounded: this was an ugly and pointless mismatch that should never have happened in the first place.

After the bout, Garcia said he would fight whoever his manager, Al Haymon, chose for him next. Showtime’s Jim Gray pressed Garcia on whether or not he’d want Haymon to choose IBF titleholder Lamont Peterson next, but Garcia wouldn’t commit so fight fans should probably hope Haymon at least tells Garcia to pick on someone his own size from here on out.

SouthPawFlo says:

This was a Showcase fight to get Danny G's stock back up...

If You look at Garcias last 7-8 Opponents you can definitely see that he's been in with the Best of the Best, but I'm sure Al Haymon wanted him to look good as a way to Lead Into a Peterson fight....

In my opinion, nobody has fought tougher guys over the last 2-3 years than Garcia. (Morales, Khan, Judah, Herrera, Matthysse)

oubobcat says:

This was a Showcase fight to get Danny G's stock back up...

No doubt this was a showcase fight but because of the level of opponent this did absolutely nothing for Garcia's stock.

Garcia has fought a very tough schedule. He is in deed entitled to face a lesser opponent every now and then. However, someone like Salka is so far below Garcia that there is absoultely no need for that kind of fight.

As far as tough schedules in the sport go, I think Abner Mares and Carl Froch are the only fighters to have faced a tougher schedule of opponents than Garcia.

Kid Blast says:

test

Skibbz says:

What does the average joe know or see? He witnesses a brutal fight with hooks that hurt. Nothing more. He would have witnessed two boxers fight with Danny, the one he would presumably be rooting for, coming off the better with greater power and iq. Salka would have in the mind of the average joe just been someone who couldn't beat the champ. His stock rose, the average fan's memory is like that of a goldfish, quick to forgive and forget.

Now Garcia will likely make for a move toward 147 against an opponent who's record looks reasonable but his fighting prowess is not much greater than Salka's. Danny will have Haymon to thank once again..

Possibly, to us die hard fans, or at least to me I noticed right off the bat in seconds time that Salka had no right to be in there, and that was by the effect the missing and glancing shots had on him. I told my girl immediately, this is not going to be good. Then before it ended, I said this kid is going to possibly get seriously hurt.

I was honestly uncomfortable watching it.

oubobcat says:

I was honestly uncomfortable watching it.

I put this in a different thread but this reminded me of Gatti-Gamache about a decade ago. You could see the size difference when the two were in the ring together. You could instantly see how much heavier Garcia's punchers were than Salka's. And you knew this was not going to end well for Salka.

As a long time boxing fan, it was uncomfortable to watch. This was mismatch that could have turned bad. Not only was Garcia much more skilled but so much bigger and stronger. And much like Gamache against Gatti, Salka if one thing had a ton of heart and was 100% going to go out on his shield. That was very apparent as that 2nd round was moving forward. I was just holding my breathe that he wouldn't get seriously hurt.

Denise Alvarez says:

Garcia knew he was given the decision over Herrera as a gift from those judges in Puerto Rico. The fight last night proves it. Salka was cherry picked to fight Garcia and showcase his talents and even knock Salka out! Garcia hasn't had a KO in 2 years. Garcia did perform well exhibiting his signature, accurate, powerful punches, but who wouldn't against a joke like Salka! I can't wait for Garcia to move up to 147 so he can play with the big boys- Thurman, Porter and even contender Frankie Gomez.

The Good Doctor says:

Welcome Denise!!! Always glad to see a new person with a great point of view.

You speak of Garcia moving to 147 to play with the big boys and I am one who wishes he would..................but it ain't gonna happen. Garcia knows in the back of his mind that 147 would be a tall hill to climb for him. He can run 140 and line up a bunch of tomato cans and keep his record pristine. I think the only thing that would push him to 147 is a completely beatable opponent not much better than Salka or a serious check. It would not shock me if he stuck around 140 for a while if Mr. Crawford came calling. That would be a great fight and if I had to lean, I think I would lean towards Crawford.

Welcome Denise!!! Always glad to see a new person with a great point of view.

Danny Garcia was 1-1 against Terrence Crawford in the amateurs. I thought that TC should have been 2-0. "$wift" doesn't want to see "Hunter" in the pros. I will bet my fat uncle's truck on Hunter being victorious. Holla!

Welcome Denise!!! Always glad to see a new person with a great point of view.

mortcola says:

Garcia is riding a wave. He is a B fighter at best, with an A killer instinct and heart. But he got beaten cleanly by Herrera, and every big left hook he has thrown, including the one that decapitated Salka, has been a Hail Mary with Garcia looking down and away....he will be beaten up soon, but he will show cojones while it happens.

Onyot says:

The advisers, managers, promoters and network that staged the Garcia-Salka fight, in doing so, committed a tortious act against the paying boxing fans and all those who paid to watch the fight and may be held civilly and criminally liable for the said tort. A resident of the US or a public interest group in the US must file a class action suit against all of them to recover compensatory, moral and punitive damages against all of them for the tort which was committed and for such similar torts that may be committed in the future. This is the best way to stop the foolishness going on in the sports of boxing.

Skibbz says:

Let's see what happens at 147. How durable do you think he is? He withstood the speed and accuracy of Amir, took punishment from Lucas and elbowed his way to victory but I don't recall him going down in the pro's.

His problem as you pointed out is that the better boxers will see his intentions from a mile away. Herrera showed that and I'm sure that the better opposition at 147 will show it too.

The Commish says:

Danny had best stay at 147. The top option for him is a lucrative unification fight against Lamont Peterson.

As for the mismatch we saw on Saturday, I was praying Salka would stay down after the second knockdown. However, he is a very game young man, and arose for the execution. Asd he did, I was hoping ref Steve Willis would wave it off, but he didn't. When he didn't, you knew what was coming.

It was not pretty. I echo oubobcat, who, in an earlier post, said he felt uncomfortable watching that. I was hoping Garcia would graze Salka with the hook, or pull it, but such was not the case. The finiishing blow landed hard and with a thud heard several rows back. It was sickening. It was frightening.

The match was pathetic. It should not ever have been made.

-Randy G.

I understand the indignation... And I emphasize with the cries of protest. All justified to some extent.
But we never hear these complaints before ... At least not with anywhere near the same intensity when Sugar Ray Leonard was beheading the likes of Aldo Gonzalez, Bruce Finch, and Davey Boy Green....or when Tyson ran amok among some of the " lesser qualified" heavy weights.

Boxing fans just enjoyed watching Tyson knocking guys out.

I admit ... neither Jacobs, Garcia or Peterson looked as good as Leonard or Tyson did destroying overmatched competition but when did it become "offensive"?

It was brutal in some cases and beautiful in other cases. Personally I enjoyed the brief action as a opposed to having no televised boxing at all.

Have we become so jaded and intolerant?... or am I too easy to please?

I understand the indignation... And I emphathize with the cries of protest. All justified to some extent.
But we never heard these complaints before ... At least not with anywhere near the same intensity when Sugar Ray Leonard was beheading the likes of Aldo Gonzalez, Bruce Finch, and Davey Boy Green....or when Tyson ran amok among some of the " lesser qualified" heavy weights.

Boxing fans just enjoyed watching Tyson knocking guys out.

It was brutal in some cases and beautiful in other cases. Personally I enjoyed the brief action as opposed to having no televised boxing at all.

Have we become so jaded and intolerant?... or am I too easy to please?

And that is the question. When does the excitement and fun of watching our beloved sport with enjoyable knockouts cross the line of putting a beating on a guy who should have never been in there to begin with?

The fact that the majority commenting on the concern and discontent of this bout shows there was problem. The problem, a young kid, over his head, overwhelmed in every department had his health in jeopardy from before the bell rang.

A few minutes into the action and I along with many others sat uncomfortably with a sickening in my stomach as I watched Salka get battered. And what did Garcia do? He hammered him out of there as best he could. It makes me think of Pac, the complete opposite looking at the ref to stop the fight, pulling punches out of concern for his beaten opponents. Of course Pac never entered the ring wearing a mask or Kissing his biceps like a tool as he was announced. Danny Garcia I will now be rooting to see you get put down in embarrassing fashion.

Khan was putting it on him until being caught.

Even though it seems Danny has had some breaks, (the khan hook while not even looking, the elbow to LM), he has gotten it done one way or another, besides the LOSS he really took from Herrera.

riverside says:

Amay, Danny was a very likeable guy up until MH fight, Now it seems over the media/Social Media, he is on everybody crap list, if he had a chip on his shoulder, now he is carrying more weight. He blames management for picking his last fight, but he is the ultimate facing the critics, not Haymon. I don't know how good of marketing it is, having one opponent overwhelmly match on paper and reality come true reaching fight time, Danny just pretty much beat the crap out of hopeless Salka.The Garcia/Salka fight its different as to somebody else has been flatten ala Spinks/Duran/ Mares/ Manny, and the the list goes on, in all those other fight I mention, the boxers were evenly matched, somebody just got caught and the fans cheered and everybody was happy. This set up of Salka/Garcia looks more like premedicated beating. I really think Spadafora with his wisdom and expirience would of gave Danny a better fight! Since Danny can't pick his own fights, what does Haymon have for him next? I'd look to see him fight Thurman at 147.

Agreed. DG's mouth is causing his own troubles. In an interview he was asked about the MH close bout where most though MH won, DG responded with a chip on his shoulder stating if MH wanted it again he would give "it" to him again. HUH?? Give him what? You never gave him anything in the first bout, MH boxed those titles off of him and got robbed for it.

It is this nonsense, ala Tim Bradley, where a fighter begins to talk nonsense and insult the fans where he starts to really lose popularity among us.

And btw, kissing your biceps while you are being announced is Adrian Broner territory!

riverside says:

We've been on top of all of Danny and Papa Garcia rants, Mauricio tweeted Danny swift Garcia on sat Night, MH Quoted "should be ashame of yourself Danny keep wearing that mask" another tweet stolen from the Rocky Movie quote " Danny why don't you try knocking me down MH". kinda of hillarious. Keith (one time) Thurman also got into it with Danny Garcia.

Yes I saw those and laughed. I especially liked the "try knocking me down" message.

The thing is I like Danny Garcia, well liked. I always thought despite his dad's psychotic actions he was well composed and carried himself well. He is a really good fighter on top of it. I accept his crazy father, at least he brings some excitement and hype, but anytime a deserving fighter is robbed it will cause strain to the fighter who undeservingly wins and keeps those belts. At that point it is up to DG to carry himself with some dignity, and this he has not done by talking like he smoked MH in the first fight. It just looks bad, it's dishonest and clumsy and insulting to the fans who know what really went down.

Despite all this grief DG is now conducting himself with cockiness, classlessly and without humility.

Just like Tim Bradley, it is on him how he now looks.

I think the next solid test he has he loses and then it may be downhill from there on out for him especially if he steps up to the big boys at 147.

This was the type of Fight where the "A" side buys 200 tickets and passes them out to his entire immediate family. ...for once Grandma and the kids get to watch. Even a representative from PETA , GREENPEACE, and the fighters exProbation Officer gets a ticket.

And the A-Side fighter gets to do everything he's not able to do against comparable talent...did you see Lamont doing the Ali Shuffle while throwing Bolo Punches?... He didn't try any of that stuff against Lucas Mattysse.
Peterson was having an absolute blast out there.

Its been suggested that Garcia should have followed Pacman's humanitarian example by easing off the gas and playing nice with Salka.

A noble concept....and probably a good approach...... but since when does an athlete take it easy on soft competition?. When an NFL football team is routing the competition with a 35 point spread...... its the coaches who intentionally slowdown the offence by swapping out their star players to allow the third and fourth string a chance to play.

An Athlete is a natural born predator and will slaughter lesser competitors with extreme enthusiasm..

I remember when we faced a weaker wrestling team in a dual match during high school. The other team was under-coached, under-funded, and under-motivated. It was rumored that at least one or two of their team members were smoking cigarettes and drinking cheap wine in full view of their coach in the guest locker room.

I was salivating when I saw my frightened chicken chested opponent shaking across the other side of the matt. I lost control at the whiff of fear and weakness and ran across the ring ...snatch my prey in a nonstandard bearhug and slammed him to the mat so hard his whole team stood up and cried foul. I tried to plant that guy like bean sprouts.

The move was illegal but was so spectacular the ref just called the pin ....which happened in the first ten seconds of the match.... As the ref raised my hand I only wish that I could have kissed my bicepts like Garcia as I walked off the mat.
My opponent who was only half conscious and had to be helped off the mat....poor kid.

Such is the nature of boxing only more brutal

I suspect card was simply created as a Showcase to promote the fighters in the local Venue... While creating interest in the the casual fan ...

Sure you hard core guys know there was only one possible outcome in all three fights. But the casual observer just wants to see a show and on that level it delivered.

It not like this type of thing hasn't happened thousands of times before and will happen again. The losers knew exactly what they were getting into and will die for the chance to do it again.

Give the fighters an easy payday...

Give the fans some action

While marinating the next big event. Didn't say it was right....just business in the world of boxing.

Peterson was having an absolute blast out there.

Such is the nature of boxing only more brutal

Give the fighters an easy payday...

Give the fans some action

deepwater2 says:

This fight card was the first of its kind because my hospital got a bunch of tickets on the arm. Human resources sent out an email saying that that a handful of tickets is available for free ,first come first serve. I called in on Friday and asked the receptionist if any tickets were left, she said no one took up the offer. Absolutely no demand for this card. You won't see this with Hopkins v Kovalev. I would like to see the gate on this card. Dibella, Joe and sal m are shaking their heads at why the undercard wasn't stacked at least. Roy Jones at least played a game of basketball before fighting that Lucas guy.
If Garcia fought a guy in the top 20 at his weight it might have been different.

I agree no demand whatsoever.
Still 7000 poured in to watch the mismatches for whatever reason.
Plus Jacobs is always a huge human interest story.
What I wouldn't give to see any live fights in my home town.
And im not talking about MMA.

These fights killed Robin Williams.

May Robin Williams keep 'em laughing in the next life. His comedy lives on in this life. Condolences to his fam. Holla!

King Beef says:

Agreed B-Sug; Garcia had to do what he did to Salka to erase the memory of Herrara from our minds.

Latest Articles