Diego Chaves Gets DQ'd in a Strange Referee Decision, Making Brandon Rios the W

BY The Sweet Science ON August 03, 2014

The Sweet ScienceA bad taste, that's what the Brandon Rios win by DQ over Diego Chaves left everyone with. The fight started out as a war between two fighters that perhaps don't show much technique but usually provide entertaining fights. But what started out as an action packed fight, soon became a rough and ugly brawl.

Referee Vic Drakulich tried to gain control of the fight and the first point deduction came in the third round for Diego Chaves. Grabbing, low-blows, rabbit punches, you name it, this fight had it all, and they came from both fighters.

Rios got a point deduction in round 5.

Drakulich warned both fighters several times, the fighters and their corners were not happy with him and constantly complained. Another deduction came in round 7 again for the Argentinian. In round 8 it turned into an MMA fight, both went down, the fans were not happy. Then in round 9 after a grabbing session Vic Drakulich stepped in and separated the fighters, sent Chaves to a corner and waved his hands in the air... Huh?! That's what the majority wondered... even Chaves shrugged and you could see the confusion in his face.

The referee had stopped the fight 1:26 of round nine. Chaves was disqualified and Rios declared the winner, much to the amazement of everyone watching. The scorecards through round 8 had Chaves winning in two cards by one point. Rios was up by one point on the other card. Rios didn't make it to the press conference he was rushed to the hospital complaining about an apparent eye injury and dizziness.

The boxing commission later said Drakulich had warned the corner several times and the DQ came for using the forearm to rake across the eyes. A controversial decision by the referee that ended up putting another loss in Diego Chaves' record one that maybe he didn't deserve or at least not by DQ.

In the title fight of the night at The Cosmopolitan, Jessie Vargas retained his title and undefeated record by winning a unanimous decision over Russian Anton Novikov. This fight was not free of controversy, as many considered the scorecards were too wide 118-111 twice and 117-112. The right winner was picked but the fight was much closer than the judges scored the fight.

dino da vinci says:

Boy do we have work to do.

oubobcat says:

It was another one of those nights on the sport of boxing. On this card, I figured Vargas-Novikov would be a clunker and Rios-Chaves would be a fight of the year candidate. Well Vargas-Novikov was a pretty decent fight between two evenly matched fighters. I would not call either guy elite by any means and this was more like an ESPN main event than an HBO fight. But it was a decent crisp fight that was very competitive. Of course, then we had the decision that still has me scratching my head. I am not saying that Vargas couldn't have won (I had it 114-114) but the margins of victory on all three of those cards was preposterous.

And then the Rios-Chaves fight showed flashes of the brawl many of us expected but had its fair share of ugliness. Okay more than its fair share. Chaves was holding a lot and according to Rios going after his eyes when holding. Rios also was bending his fair share of the rules as well. The fouling, holding and dirty tactics go worse as the fight progressed. We also saw spots of very good action. But in the end a DQ came and left mot who watched with a bad taste in their mouth.

Boxing as well all know is the theater of the unexpected. One bad fight on paper turned good and a good fight on paper turned bad. And each ended in controversy. The theater of the unexpected once again.

riverside says:

I feel like I wasted my evening last night watching the fights for the exception of Kovalev.!I've never been to much of a fan of Rios, he played the victim In the interview given by Max. as we all saw yesterday he is no altar boy, he did his share of fouling and fighting dirty. His smirks in his face is consistent with a rebellious teenager. As for Vargas, I had him losing the fight, at best a draw. One fight I would love to see is Rios vs Ruslan. i's like to see Rios knocked on his @ss.

I agree Riverside.....I had Vargas winning the first 3 and the 10th and tied the 12th
The middle rounds were mostly dominated by the Russain.
Vargas definitely wilted in the second half the fight could have easily gone the other way.
Vargas couldn't keep a consistent jab going after round 5.

I do not think I can recall Vargas winning his last 3 fights. It is as if he is the rich kid at school who gets straight A's and makes the basketball team because his parents fund everything.

How does he keep getting all these nods?

Rios did not look good in my opinion. He looked overweight and flat for the most part. He is a very very tough guy.

That fight was Chaves to lose, and he did so to speak.

How does he keep getting all these nods?

That fight was Chaves to lose, and he did so to speak.

Rios reminds me of Gatti .... He should be matched accordingly... Those first four rounds were disturbingly brutal.

oubobcat says:

How does he keep getting all these nods?

That fight was Chaves to lose, and he did so to speak.

Rios did look a bit flabby, didn't he. And his punches did not really seem to have much an impact at 147 against a big natural 147 pound Welterweight in Chaves.

If he's matched with Provodnikov next, Rios will get broken down quickly. Obviously, the flaws of Provodnikov we saw against Algeiri, mainly not being able to cut the ring off, won't be an issue against Rios. Provodnikov hits too hard and Rios' punching power is just not the same at 147 as it was at smaller weights. I see Provodnikov walking through Rios' best to keep landing and landing on Rios. I think it'd be a fun fight to watch while it lasts but don't see Rios having much of a chance to prevail either.

The Commish says:

Well, we know that Brandon Rios intends to stay at welterweight. What you see is what you get with his body: A bit of chunk on the trunk!

Obviously, the most action-packed fight which can be made with Rios in one corner is a fight with Rusland Provodnikov in the other. Both guys love it in close quarters and both guys hate to pursue their adversary. With Rios, Provodnikov, a small gym ring (14'x14') will be sufficient. For that matter, so would a phone booth.

But you don't think Rios' people will be dumb enough to make that fight, do you?

But then, who should Rios fight next? Boxers like Timothy Bradley, Devon Alexander or Amir Khan, or sluggers like Provodnikov or Keith Thurman?

Moving to 147 may not have been in Rios' best interest!

-Randy G.

oubobcat says:

Moving to 147 may not have been in Rios' best interest!

-Randy G.

You know, I was thinking about whether Rios would be matched with Provodnikov. That was the talk before this fight with Chaves that if Rios wins Provodnikov would be next.

I believe Rios' manager is Cameron Duncan. Duncan is one of the best, if not the best, managers in the sport. If Rios is with Duncan, I don't think Duncan puts him in with Provodnikov.

I think Duncan will instead push Rios towards a third fight with Alvarado. Its marketable, HBO will certainly buy and pay some good money for and its much less dangerous than Provodnikov. Lets think about it...Alvarado has been beaten once by Rios and the 2nd fight was close. Provodnikov is a relentless hard puncher who will keep coming. He could do some serious damage to Rios and its a fight where Rios would probably be an underdog. Duncan is a very smart man and unless they are blown away with an offer to fight Provodnikov will steer Rios in a different direction for the betterment of his career.

The Commish says:

AQ fight against Alvarado would certainly make sense from a management point of view, but I recently spoke to an executive at HBO, who told me that Alvarado is being viewed as damaged goods at this point. I have to agree.

We have spoken in earlier posts about fighters who have taken too much punishment. I believe Alvarado is one of those guys. I just don't see HBO accepting him as the next opponent for Brandon Rios.

-Randy G.