Roach Admits He'd Rather A Provodnikov-Algieri Rematch Than Pacquiao-Algieri

BY Michael Woods ON July 15, 2014

Freddie-Roach

If and when all i's are dotted, and t's are crossed, and Chris Algieri is officially announced as the next foe for Manny Pacquiao, Pacman trainer Freddie Roach will be tasked with getting the Congressman into fighting form, physically and mentally, for the rangy mover from Long Island.

And part of that effort will be to make damned sure Manny isn't thinking Algieri is a powder puff pushover.

Me, I'm guessing that Manny wouldn't fall prey to that thinking, not after seeing Algieri show a lion's heart and the caginess of a hyena in getting the better of Ruslan Provodnikov on June 14 in Brooklyn.

"Algieri won a world title, that doesn't happen every day, that doesn't happen by accident," Roach told me, when I asked if he thought Algieri was "just" a "runner."

Roach said that in fact, he thinks that maybe the Siberian Rocky Provodnikov may have underestimated then 19-0 Algieri a tiny bit. "And he didn't have his best night," Freddie noted, something that I pondered that evening, as I thought I had seen Ruslan a bit crisper, a bit more lively, in prior outings. "Ruslan was looking for the one punch KO too much. Those early knockdowns got him a little excited. And Algieri is popular in NY. I thought (and still think) my guy did enough to win, by a little bit…but it was a close fight."

Roach told me if and when Algieri nails down the Manny slot, after his promoter JoeDeGuardia hashes out final terms with Bob Arum, he'll still sort of wish that Algieri would be facing Provodnikov in a rematch, ASAP. "I'd rather that than the fight with Manny," he stated. "But Bob Arum said that Algieri is the one. Stylewise, I'll have to change Manny's mindset. He doesn't like movers. He's better when guys come right at him. Algieri should be in good shape and we can't take this fight lightly."

That brings me to a final point; me, I'm liking this clash of styles, and believe I will be watching with fierce interest when Manny and the New Yorker bang gloves. You might say that is because I am a New York guy. You could be right…but I don't think you are. Mark these words…the majority of you folks announcing on Twitter that you won't buy the PPV will indeed buy it, because if you don't you will risk not being able to say you watched it when the "mover" from NY became a real "mover" and shaker when he outboxes the Congressman. Will that definitely happen? C'mon, I'm no majestic prognosticator. But I see there being enough doubt in the air, enough of a possibility, that reason dictates I must watch. I wouldn't counsel you to do so; that's not my job. But I do counsel you have an open mind on this one, and see the possibility that the underdog just might do it again, pull off a bigger shocker than he managed against Provodnikov.

Follow Woods on Twitter. https://twitter.com/Woodsy1069

The Commish says:

Looks like me and Mortcola will have to be the two guys all of you beat up on over the next few months as we cheer on Algieri!

-Randy G.

oubobcat says:

I am warming more and more to the idea of Algieri fighting Pacquaio. It might be because this appears to be the direction we are headed and I am trying to sell the fight to myself knowing I will buy it. But I am looking forward to it a little more this week than I was last week when we heard it would probably happen.

Algieri fought better than I thought he would against Emmanuel Taylor in February.

Then in June, Algieiri far exceeded what I thought he could do against Provodnikov.

Maybe in November, he can once again exceed expectations and give a surprise to Pacquiao.

I don't mind the fight, but it is not a PPV worthy fight

oubobcat says:

I don't mind the fight, but it is not a PPV worthy fight

I admit, even last week when I wasn't as psyched for the fight I knew I'd be buying. But you could be right, a lot of people may not be purchasing this one on PPV. But with the Macau revenue stream, I don't think Top Rank is as concerned with the PPV numbers. Of course, they want it to sell and not totally flop but it doesn't have to do mega numbers either on PPV here for them to still make a lot of money.

Carmine Cas says:

And still the WBO Junior Welterweight Champion of the World! I hope I'm in Macau for this one.

Hehehehe! U.S. Prez O pardons a turkey in November. Da Manny is going to roast one. And give him a surprise of two swollen, closed eyes. C-Al is going to be staggering around dat squared jungle like a blinded turkey with bat eyes. He'd be running into Da Manny's missile-and-nuclear shots like a bat's blind arse run into the walls of a cave. Hehehe!

And that is if C-Al quit acting like Marquez by believing he is worth a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And da Bobfather is not going to give him that type of money. This we know. Now C-Al can take $1.5mil arse thrashing. Other than that, all this money, he'd be trashing. Holla!

C-Al and tSR should dance again to settle the controversy, though. I wanna see the rematch. C-Al fought like he was doing a new version of the dance known as "The Cabbage Patch." Hehehe!

JMO, but I think that tSR would have him doing a new dance of KTFO and counting sheep. Haha! Holla!

Latest Articles