Canelo Beats Ever-Moving Lara, Via Split Decision

BY Michael Woods ON July 13, 2014

Canelo vs LaraCanelo Alvarez clashed with Erislandy Lara on Saturday night, July 12, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, and on Showtime pay-per-view. The Cuban boxed in ultra-crafty fashion, using his feet even more than his fists, to keep Canelo a step or two behind. We went to the cards, cognizant of a typical judges' dislike for "runners." Dave Moretti saw it 115-113 (Alvarez), Jerry Roth 115-113 (Lara) and Levi Martinez had it 117-111, for Canelo.

To Jim Gray, Canelo insulted Lara, for running. You win by punching, not running, the Mexican said. He did that the whole fight, the winner said. Did he not expect that? No, he wanted a toe to toe fight. He said Lara is a great boxer but needs to throw more blows. Would he fight Lara again? "When he learns how to fight, then I'll give hima rematch," he said. Is Cotto next? In November? He said he will rest, party for his birthday, then decide.

Gray asked Lara if he thought he won. Yes, one hundred percent, the Cuban said. Lara said the people present, "especially the Mexicans," that he won. He said Canelos' body shots had no pop. And does he now respect him? No, he said...and he still wants a rematch.

Canelos' inability to shrink the ring, make Lara go where he didn't want to go, cease his movement, hurt him. Will there be a push to switch trainers?

Lara went 107-386 to 97-415 for Canelo.

Both men weighed 155 pounds on Friday. Canelo was 171 to 166 on fight night.

In the first, the 31 year old Lara (19-1-2 entering) moved, moved, popped the jab with the longer arm. Canelo (43-1-1 entering), almost 24, followed the mobile Lara.

In the second, a right sent Lara sprawling back. He then ate a straight left which made the crowd buzz. Canelo picked up Lara in a clinch and threatened to dump him at the 46 seconds mark. He wanted to show his strength. Eddy Reynos asked Canelo to watch out for the left, and move at the waist after the round.

In the third, Lara mostly moved, but also landed a clean left, while the crowd got edgier. Lara mostly moved right, and Canelo was late with long rights.

In the fourth, Canelo got cooking early. His attitude was fiercer, but there was a mouse under his right eye. Reynoso told the kid to not get desperate.

In the fifth, Canelo ripped to the body. The distance between the men had closed some. But Lara was still able to dictate the distance between, mostly. He landed one vicious right hook on the Mexican, too.

In the sixth, Lara moved too much for the fans' liking. Canelo followed but without much luck. He missed badly a few times, showy, ugly misses.

In the seventh, Lara moved, flurried, and then slid away, with Canelo staring after a miss. A punch caused by a punch formed on Lara's right eye. It might have come off a leaping left uppercut by Canelo.

In the eighth, Lara moved but forgot to throw. His trainer Ronnie Shields told him to use the jab, and the one-two. "The guy is walking right to it," Shields told the Cuban.

In the ninth, we saw Lara paw at his eye, and Canelo look more confident. Lara slipped in a wet corner and the crowd roared. As with every round, it was tight.

In the tenth, Canelo swung wildly, as he looked to land a bomb on the slippery Lara. A Lara combo landed clean, and his movement was back to being constant and quick. He took the round…

In the 11th, the slippery eel Lara managed to get away from Canelo, even when he was a foot in front of him. A right hand caught Lara as he was pulling out, at 50 seconds. Reynoso told Canelo it was a "very close fight." In the 12th, Canelo came out crazed. But Lara came out the same savvy cat. No knockdowns, we went to the cards...

SouthPawFlo says:

I can't name a round when Canelo landed at least 2 clean punches to the head in a combination, but Lara landed 1-2's and 1-2-3's all night!!!

I scored it 115-113 Lara

DaveB says:

Lara stunk out the place. He is the new Rigondeaux without all the skills. Fight could have went either way and I don't fault Lara for not trading but it was ridiculous to just run as much as he did and not fight in more spots than he did. Yes he scored well when he punched but that was an awful excuse for a prize fight. I don't want to see a rematch and I'm putting Lara on my do not watch list. He already said a rematch would be a replay and it would. It is a good thing for him he is not under Arum's banner. Arum would boycott him too. This was no robbery.

It is was a robbery. The red-headed hype got another gift. So high his arse, the powers that be are trying to lift. Holla!

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

This was a black eye for the sport of boxing in my opinion. Lara clearly out boxed Canelo and landed more clean and effective punches than Canelo. This isn't the amateurs where punches on the elbows, arms, and shoulders count. A professional fight is scored by criteria such as clean and effective punches landed, ring generalship, defense, effective aggression, etc. Lara was the ring general tonight and put on a master class performance for those of us that are students of the sweet science. The bottom line is that Canelo is the establishment fighter and got a gift decision. 117-111, really! Stevie Wonder could have scored the fight better than that judge.

DaveB says:

Nah, this is the Bambi thing you always talk about. He,he

I agree DaveB.... It was a very tactical fight. It reminded me of Algieri vs Provodnikov.
Except Lara never got hurt. I actually forgot to record the fight. And I'm not upset..lol
I thought Lara won a close one. My question to the judges is: should we penalize fighters for boxing in a non fan pleasing style?

DaveB says:

In truth I thought Lara did just enough to win. There is always that one ridiculous scorecard so much that it has to be expected. I'm not saying it is right but it pretty much happens 100% of the time. I just don't like Lara's type of fighting. As a fan I want to be entertained. I'm not saying you fight the opponents fight or a style that he wants, it is boxing after all. If it were just fighting and trading punchers would rule or whoever gets in the first hard shot. I think Lara is a great boxer but he has a stinko professional style. People paid money to see that garbage. I don't know if people like him will consistently win fights because, in truth, his style is offensive to some people and he is being judged by those people that matter. This fight was such a waste of time and I don't feel that strongly about it regardless of who won. I am happy for boxing that Canelo won for the future matches he will have. Lara can go back to Friday Night Fights.

riverside says:

Lara is got nobody to blame but himself, the fight was very close could gone either way. Unfortunely he was not going to win a close fight, he needed to push the fight and win with conviction take chances and beat the crap out canelo just like money may did. By joining anti big money oscar band wagon he is screwed Now!! Also Lara doesn't seem to have any fan base I saw a handle of quiet Lara fans ,20 at the most.

I guess we don't have to read between the lines here DaveB ...I think you made your thoughts loud and clear. Lol... Just makes me wonder how Floyd beat him so easily.

flackoguapo says:

I think Floyd has a way different focus and anticipation on defense than Lara. Lara almost only relies on circling or literally backing away while Floyd has the reflexes and the know-how to stay "in range" while not getting hit. Canelo did miss some shots wildly but it wasn't as if Lara's footwork was that mesmerizing. I saw Canelo land solid left hooks

to the body and effective head shots after the 7th round. The stream sucked so i couldnt see the beginning of the fight as well as i wanted to but I was impressed by Canelo still having that much thump in his shots that late in the fight(relative to how

winded he looks in his previous bouts)

stormcentre says:

Floyd has the type of defence that allows him to avoid and/or nullify punches without actually removing himself from his own effective range and ability to land.

Lara does not, and that combined with both his knowledge of his own punch resistance, and the punch resistance itself, meant that Lara had to run; which itself is highly subjective as to whether it is a defensive move - or one driven by fear.

Naturally the Canelo supporters will appeal to the latter.

Lara, though, surely must have known that he needed to stand and (seriously) trade at some point to remove the doubt that he was running when (as he would surely say) he was only using his ring generalship.

Is it ring generalship or running?

Since Lara never cleared that up, we will never know; despite how Lara seems to have not cared to sort it out in previous fights as well, and also the fact that when he seems to have cared about it he has kissed the floor.

Oscar had a reason to be concerned, he remembered when he fought Trinidad; something Lara should have also thought of.

flackoguapo says:

yup. Lara coulda' got away with fighting the way he did if he was the "A" side. He isn't though and the fight was too close. I'm starting to see the trend on that "one" judge always having the back of the "A" side fighter....

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

I'm not able to reply to your specific post on my phone, but I have a question for the posters on this site regarding this fight. How did you score the Julio Ceasar Chavez vs. Pernell Whitaker fight. That fight is a microcosm of this fight in how people scored it. Those that appreciate ring generalship, defense, and footwork thought that Whitaker out boxed Chavez. Chavez supporters felt that his BODY attack and constant aggression won him the fight. The same can be said about the Canelo vs. Lara fight. Those that prefer the sweet science of boxing believe that Lara won a unanimous decision, albeit a close one. Canelo supporters feel that his body attack and aggression solidified his victory.

flackoguapo says:

I see what your saying. I haven't seen that fight in a while but I thought Whittaker took it. Lara literally runs to the farthest side of the ring and waits sometimes. That's not ring generalship to me. Especially when the rounds are close. If if was a full on clinic

I can accept that facet of his game but when the rounds are close and you're the "B" side, I wouldn't play my hand that way. We all knew Lara had to come in and really beat up Canelo and not subtly.

Skibbz says:

The fact is Lara fights too much like an amateur and not enough like a pro. The Pro's are much less about hit and not get hit. Sure there's that aspect to it too but you're there to fight your opponent and beat him, not score points and run all night.

Canelo needs to find someone to teach him how to close a ring off. Dan B could be the man. Thurman can cut off a 24ft ring and make it look easy

Skibbz says:

Also ring generalship is how you command your opponent on the ring. Making him
Chase you is not ring generalship but running away. Forcing your opponent out of position (i.e adjacent to your straight shot) then you have succeeded in some ring generalship. Dominating the ring and making it yours is ring generalship.

Getting on your bike and using the full size of the ring is not.

Also ring generalship is how you command your opponent on the ring. Making him

Getting on your bike and using the full size of the ring is not.

Excellent comments by Flackoguapo Storm and Skibbz..... I thought Lara did enough technically but if that type of fighting gets rewarded too much some fights could regress into a "hide and seek marathon game of tag" which would not be appreciated by the ticket buyers.

You can't beat a financial powerhouse like Canelo without a completely dominant performance.
When you advertise that your going to school a man that means your going to beat him up. Not just make him miss two hundred punches.

@ShoulderRoll, I respect your opinion and I thought Lara edged him out too but there's not much in common with Lara vs Canelo and Chavez vs Whitaker. Pernell was elusive but he was always in scoring range. He tagged Chavez repeatedly as he was using lateral movement. He didn't just eat up 2 minutes of the clock every round.

That fight was universally condemned as a robbery in the media for the next five years.

Personally Lara was not a particular favorite of mine ...there are better Cubans out there. ...but I expected him to out class Canelo who looked like he could have boxed another two rounds after the fight ended.

Canelo seems to have fixed his stamina problems or at least is pacing himself better. But I doubt he will be able to get his weight down to 154 much longer.

But if he can, I believe Demetrius Andrade...Jermell Charo...andJames Kirkland would be several fun, fan friendly fights awaiting him if Cotto isn't next....and I'm sure there's another Easter Bloc fighter out there with a 400 - 3 amateur record waiting somewhere just under the radar that hasn't been discovered yet...lol.

The Commish says:

This is the perfect example of why it's so hard, so difficult, to score a fight. Read each post here. Read 'em carefully. Some of you thought Lara won convincingly (as did I & judge Dave Moretti). Some of you thought Canelo won (as did judges Levi Martinez & Jerry Roth).

Some of you were so turned off by Lara's fight plan that you've placed him on your "Don't Watch" list, along with Richar Abril and Guillermo Rigondeaux (quite possibly the world's most-gifted boxer!).

This was a bit like Chris Algieri v Ruslan Provodnikov. A boxer/mover/elusive competitor histhe constantly coming in, power-punching foe.

Half of us saw the aggressive power-puncher winning Provodnikov/Alvarez). Some saw the elusive boxer winning (Algieri/Lara).

That's boxing. That's why the scores of the three officials read the way they did. They weren't like that because of incompetence or dishonesty (which a few of my e-mails & texts claimed ("Well, looks like Golden Boy got to two of the judges" read one of my texts). That just wasn't the case.

At the final bell, I was thinking Lara won by split decision, but really felt it should be unanimous. I saw him land the greater frequency of shots, while Alvarez' hardest punches landed on nothing but the MGM Grand Ballroom's air. Several of his body hooks got in. Many more were blocked. Sure, Lara was landing what many of you saw as "pitty-pat" punches, but Alvarez didn't come into the ring with that swelling under his right eye.

I don't agree with the decision.

But I am not going to go crazy and holler robbery or fix.

That's boxing and that's scoring.

You saw it your way. The judges saw it their way.

I saw it my way.

-Randy G.

Skibbz says:

I don't think many of us were turned off by Lara's fight plan, but more by the fact that in a PPV fight Lara, who claimed time and time again he would be schooling Canelo, decided to paw and run for the majority of every round. Occasionally he would spear a jab and a cross behind it but not often enough.

If this was an amateur fight he would have won for sure, but this is the pro ranks where you seek to damage your opponent, hence lighter gloves and no head guards. To also come into a big house filled with Canelo fans and employ amateurish tactics was foolish, it was never going to win him the fight. I said it before, he looks too much on his amateur days to be a successful pro.

Canelo wasn't perfect but he fought at every opportunity and landed the better shots through out. Lara was just using his legs and not his arms.. It was a horrible fight to watch because unlike other sweet scientists Lara wasn't throwing!

It was also unlike the Algieri fight because at least Algieri was throwing punches even though they were just to keep Provodnikov at bay. Lara was just on his bike rarely stopping. He was move and move, no stick!

oubobcat says:

I don't agree with the decision.

But I am not going to go crazy and holler robbery or fix.

That's boxing and that's scoring.

You saw it your way. The judges saw it their way.

I saw it my way.

-Randy G.

I agree, there was no dishonesty, incompetence, corruption, etc in the scoring. It was a difficult fight to score. It was very similar to the Provodnikov-Algieri scoring debate.

In the Provodonikov-Algieri fight, I scored it for Provodnikov 115-112. But I could see and fully understand the argument for Algieri.

In this fight, I scored it 115-113 for Canelo. Again, I see where the Lara people are coming from and understand why they scored the fight for Lara.

There were a lot of close rounds in this fight. In my opinion, what carried the close rounds for Canelo was the fact that his punches in those rounds carried more impact than the punches Lara landed. I would not call Lara's punches pitty pat but they were not as hard as those landed by Canelo. Lara's were flashier. But Canelo's body shots were hard and had impact. In my opinion, carried more weight when scoring the particular round. And thus, I gave some of the closer rounds to Canelo and had him come out on the winning side.

I don't agree with the decision.

But I am not going to go crazy and holler robbery or fix.

That's boxing and that's scoring.

You saw it your way. The judges saw it their way.

I saw it my way.

-Randy G.

You are nice with it. I'm not. The billion-dollar fix was in. Mexican super-duper billionaire Carlos Slim's phat arse was hiding in plain sight. Now here comes the $2bil in revenue gitdown [$¡¢] between M-Co and Canelo. Holla!

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

Most of you haven't mentioned Canelo's inability to cut off the ring. If you have a guy that is supposedly a "runner," the primary objective should be on cutting off the ring, which Canelo did a very poor job of. Lara decided when he wanted to stop and exchange with Canelo, thus he was the ring general. Canelo scored to the body at times, but many of his shots were caught on the elbows. Canelo is the fighter that was exposed last night, how many times did the guy swing and hit nothing but the ropes? Canelo is so much a part of the boxing power structure that it will require the average fighter to knock him down several times or knock him out in order to win. Money Mayweather barely won on the score cards against him even though he thoroughly out boxed Canelo and who is Lara in ccomparison to Money Mayweather? Nobody. The fight game is shady, Canelo got schooled. He landed two significant head shots the whole fight, one of which opened up a non-significant cut on Canelo. Come on people, keep it real!

The Commish says:

Radam! Do you really think, as you said, "the billion dollar fix was in"?????

Really?

Just to make a Cotto-Alvarez fight?

It was a close decision. This wasn't a clear-cut, easy-to-score fight that 99.9% percent of us saw one way and the judges saw it the other. This was aboput as close as they get. Hey, I scored it for Lara. You scored it for Lara. Many of us scored it for Lara. Many others scored it for Alvarez.

The billion dollar fix was in?

Uh-uh (shaking my head, "No!)!

-Randy G.

Have not seen the whole fight yet but from reading pages of posts looks like I was right on with both how the fight would go, Lara moving too much, landing cleaner, Canelo pushing the fight with it being close and the interpretation of the fans and judges being bias to what they feel wins fights.

I did see a few rounds and I have to say Lara really was on his bike quite a bit.

SouthPawFlo says:

There's no way that Lara Lost the fight 9-3, I don't care how you cut it, he CLEARLY won more than 3rds...

Lara landed the clearer, crisper punches he frustrated Canelo and the Left hand couldn't miss

Radam! Do you really think, as you said, "the billion dollar fix was in"?????

Really?

Just to make a Cotto-Alvarez fight?

The billion dollar fix was in?

Uh-uh (shaking my head, "No!)!

-Randy G.

Boksing ain't ever been clean. I can name tons of shady, sleazy, sneaky activities. The fix was in because it could be. Not necessary to make a bout with Cotto.

The Texas Mandingo Kirkland might interrupt that. Team Canelo ain't that smart. The team is beginning to believe the hype. Holla!

DaveB says:

Cotto-Alvarez. Wow, wow, wow. Sorry I got side-tracked salivating over that fight. Okay back on topic. This is always the problem with these close fights. It really depends on what you like. I can't see how people would call this a robbery. Mayweather does use his defensive ability to stay in the pocket and a elusive style to avoid punches that is more pleasing than Lara's run style. Mayweather's style is not pretty or fan pleasing but is very effective and there is no doubt as to who has won. Mayweather also stays with it from the opening bell to the finishing bell. Lara should have defined the fight. It was in his power to do so. Most fighters will avoid him except for maybe Thurman. Lara is a stylistic nightmare. Like Canelo said if he wants to run a marathon go do that. That was a God awful fight. It is like a professional basketball team that wins 20-16, holds the ball and sits on the lead. Yes they won but it is awfully hard to watch. But boxing has subjective scoring and a case can be made for each man. Ring generalship is a term that everyone knows when they see it but people see it differently. Yes close fights are always controversial but I understand the other man's opinion. I never say someone doesn't know boxing because they have a different point of view, especially in fights like these. Not only are close fights controversial but some will even say they are clear cut beatings. Most don't. This fight was so mundane that it doesn't stir my passion. I certainly wouldn't ask for an investigation.

Most of you haven't mentioned Canelo's inability to cut off the ring. If you have a guy that is supposedly a "runner," the primary objective should be on cutting off the ring, which Canelo did a very poor job of. Lara decided when he wanted to stop and exchange with Canelo, thus he was the ring general. Canelo scored to the body at times, but many of his shots were caught on the elbows. Canelo is the fighter that was exposed last night, how many times did the guy swing and hit nothing but the ropes? Canelo is so much a part of the boxing power structure that it will require the average fighter to knock him down several times or knock him out in order to win. Money Mayweather barely won on the score cards against him even though he thoroughly out boxed Canelo and who is Lara in comparison to Money Mayweather? Nobody. The fight game is shady, Canelo got schooled. He landed two significant head shots the whole fight, one of which opened up a insignificant cut on Lara. Come on people, keep it real!

They are blinded by Canelo's red dome. It's flashing like a police siren. And a lot of people believe the Po-po is always right with the fight.

Canelo is HYPE. Da sucka can't fight. He's a gift collector. And it is not politically correct nowadays to whup a red-headed step child. And make him mind and mild.

The red-headed hype oughta go and catch a ride with the red-nose reindeer Rudolph. Santa (Big) C is bias anyway. Why does he gotta have on red! Danggit!

Red is da bomb! Ev'ybodee and dey momma wanna get with it and give a gift or two.

The wifey is calling me to bed. And she got on red. Hehehe! Imma give her a gift or two. Night-night-night, WORLD! Holla!

SouthPawFlo says:

I have the fight recorded and anyone who believes Canelo won the fight 117-111 tell me the 9rds that Canelo won....

vjoe says:

Haven't seen the whole fight, but what I've seen thus far impresses me as a very close fight with Lara going totally safety first and Canelo pushing the action with mixed success. That said, I don't see the split decision as some huge miscarriage of justice. Lots of close rounds where a difference of opinion at to who took a couple of rounds changes the outcome. fwiw, what I've seen of the fight doesn't show Lara running for his life, but taking few if any chances to land a telling blow. As to the conspiracy buffs/anti-Canelo crowd, I don't believe Canelo knows about any fix and I give him props for taking on a guy that we all knew would give him fits.
btw, for a fun fight where someone literally runs for his life, check out duran vs lou bizzaro....great stuff.

"Father, Have Thou Forsaken Me?"

It is the human way for the naive-poor-performing protagonist to not know about the "fix."

"The Harder They Fall."

Professional Pugilism history is littered with a long trail of pugs, phonies and prophets believing that they could fight, as the magical fix was in full effect.

The hurt bitnezz [$¡¢] is and always will also be the dirt business. And it ain't changing because of one type of mafia to the next. Cable PPV is the millenium mafia. And it is all about control and moolah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiowJ8GhiOg.

Only ______ ______$, ________$, _______$, _______$ and ________$ beat feet because of the catch-bunkum "Conspiracy _______$."

There tons of conspiracies better known as TsOTT and OIs. Holla!

mortcola says:

[QUOTE=SouthPawFlo;57975]Anybody who scored that fight 117-111 for Canelo is obviously a Golden Boy Employee...

I scored it 115-113 Lara[/QUOTE]

BTW - comparisons to Algieri/Provodnikov don’t hold up. Algieri punched and landed frequently, and his win was justifiable by the punch numbers, by the brilliant way he adapted after a devastating early knockdown that half-blinded him, and by how ineffective he made Provodnikov, who never landed as cleanly to the body later in the fight as Canelo did. Lara is brilliant but boring (the entertainment comes from having an offense to match the defense, not by blood and guts) and doesn’t land or even try to land as effectively as Mayweather does. Willie Pep analogies re winning a round without throwing a punch just don’t cut it. This was not a robbery, but a challenge to what you value in boxing.

flackoguapo says:

Lara lost because he forgot to thank TSAH. First time I seen one of his fighters not mention him, I think haha

vjoe says:

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

What's good for the goose is a good for the gander! If Lara lost on Saturday, so did Mayweather against Cotto and Maidana. Using the logic of many of the posters on this thread, Mayweather was not the aggressor, didn't throw enough punches, and blocked too many punches with his elbows and shoulder lol. Canelo landed a lot of body punches on Lara's elbows and arms, weren't they beautiful? They sure slowed Lara down, he was on the verge of getting dropped. I feel like Roger Mayweather, some of you don't know........

[QUOTE=vjoe;58078]Concerning the alleged "fix" in this fight, ESPN/Dan Rafael scored the fight 116-112 Alvarez......are they/he completely incompetent or part of the conspiracy? Or could it be that this was a fight with a lot of close rounds that could go either way depending on where you were sitting, what style of boxing you prefer, etc? We've all seen fights where a fighter took a dive or the judging absolutely stunk, but claiming a fix in the Alvarez-Lara fight seems a long reach to me (reminds me of the folks who want to impeach the President whenever they don't like his policies).[/QUOTE]

Certain policies of the U.S. Prez are fixed. It is called "Congress controlling the purse stings." Certain ways and policies of boxing are fixed. It is call "The (mafia) money fighter," and nowadays [for this bout] The (mafia $howtime) "A-side fighter." Many things in life are FIXED. Boxing is a metaphor of life. Splitting red herring and monkey jiving don't change the actuality of the reality.

BTW your Dan Rafael example is weak. His knowledge of boxing is ________ ________. He is a fanboy. Tell me how Teddy Atlas scored. And some of the other scribes that know boxing.

You accept and believe what you believe. More power to you. Long live boxing. And it will never stop being the way it is. Holla!

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=mortcola;58054]117-11 might have been really bad, or it might have been a clear value judgment about what is valued in boxing. Lara was MASTERFUL in his anticipation, equal slickness in moving right or left, producing a completely unpredictable target. But he didn’t punch much. Canelo didn’t punch enough - barely used his jab at all in spite of the fact that when he used it, he landed and it usually earned him at least one more shot - usually a body punch courtesy of a couple of milliseconds the jab slowed Lara by. Canelo’s body shots were HUGE - more than half landed on the body or the top of the HIGH belt of Lara, and were worth, to most of us who score fights, as much as head shots, definitely more significant than the insignificant few combos Lara landed to Canelo’s head - sharp but no effect, as opposed to the body shots which always visibly hurt Lara. At best, if you value sporadic but accurate counters and defense-minded ring generalship, Canelo could not have won by more than two points - he didn’t sustain more than three or four salvos in the whole fight. I agree with the criticisms that 117-111 was unrealistic, although I understand how it could have been justified by boxing standards other than corruption. But if Lara had thrown or landed half as much as Mayweather did in his comparable defensive shut-down of Canelo, he would have won clearly.

[B]BTW - comparisons to Algieri/Provodnikov don’t hold up. [/B]Algieri punched and landed frequently, and his win was justifiable by the punch numbers, by the brilliant way he adapted after a devastating early knockdown that half-blinded him, and by how ineffective he made Provodnikov, who never landed as cleanly to the body later in the fight as Canelo did. Lara is brilliant but boring (the entertainment comes from having an offense to match the defense, not by blood and guts) and doesn’t land or even try to land as effectively as Mayweather does. Willie Pep analogies re winning a round without throwing a punch just don’t cut it. This was not a robbery, but a challenge to what you value in boxing.[/QUOTE]

They sure don't. That comparison is silly; asinine at best.

Algieri threw a thousand punches, landed a third more punches than his opponent and outlanded him in power punches.

The "running" Algieri threw more power punches alone than Lara did total punches the whole fight.

You're better off comparing Lara to Joe Frazier. Lol.

You're absolutely right. It was a close fight. And that's it.

Excellent post.

mortcola says:

[QUOTE=mortcola;58199]Thank you, Shadow. For a demonstration of how boxing scoring reprises one of the great parables in the history of philosophy, read the nice Wikipedia entry here: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant
Highlight: "We have to remember that what we observe is not nature in itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning." - Werner Heisenberg

If you need some clarification on why I recommend this, just ask. BTW, only the blind men accuse each other or the elephant of being corrupt or incompetent. That is a mind-fart. Radam, Shoulder Roll, lots of us here too, know boxing very well. What we don’t always know is how to account for smart people seeing the same thing in a very different way without anyone being a moron or a crook.[/QUOTE]

Accounting for that is not hard to do. It is perceive notions and bias eyes. I didn't have a dog in this fight. Just a perceive notion, no bias eyes.

I expected for Lara to get ROBBED from the JUMP. And for passive fans to say that he wasn't. So I've taken a position of neutrality and let those in the know, such as Teddy Atlas, Paulie M, Virgil Hunter, Barry Hunter, Ham Johnson, Jesse Reid, Abe Sanchez, Don Turner, Max Kellerman and TSS's own S-To, among others holla.

Nine to three by Judge L.M. was clearly corruption and incompetent. Holla!

gibola says:

Before the fight I wanted Lara to win but he was so negative that I'm happy he lost. Yes, he probably did land more punches but his performance was so horrendously negative that he left himself open to losing on the scorecards. Like Whittaker v Ramirez 1 and ODLH v Trinidad, he left room for cards to go against him - rightly or wrongly (but this fight was closer than those two). That wasn't 'boxing and moving' it was running and for that reason I'm glad he lost. Even if he had won, his career would have been damaged terribly and no-one would have wanted to see his next fight. It was similar to Rigondeux, but at least he boxed, moved, countered and looked to hurt Donaire when he punched. Lara just ran and poked out the odd 'don't hit me' one-two. Lara will regret the performance for many years after his anger at the scorecards passes.

The Commish says:

A nice suspension should follow. A very long one!

-Randy G.

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=The Commish;58245]You are so right, SouthpawFlo. Both the Nevada Commission, as well as Martinez' home commission--New Mexico--should call him in and have him watch the fight again, showing which rounds--and why!!!!!--he gave to Canelo.

A nice suspension should follow. A very long one!

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

You don't think his scorecard was defensible? I'm glad you're the type of commissioner that takes no jive!

Latest Articles