Floyd Tweets Out The News; It's Official, Mayweather-Maidana II Is A Go

BY Michael Woods ON July 10, 2014

Mayweather-Maidana

Floyd has taken to Twitter, and made it official: for his next fight, taking place Sept. 13 at the MGM, his fighting home, he will again fight Marcos Maidana.

Maidana, a rugged Argentine, gave the 46-0 Floyd a run for his proverbial money when they clashed May 3, and he had Floyd on his heels. Some were asking if Floyd's legs had started to go a bit, if his reflexes had dimmed when the judges announced a decision, a majority nod for Mayweather.

Bum rushing the skilled pugilist, hitting him, high, low and even behind the head, the 35-4 Maidana gave Floyd the stiffest test of any man, since Jose Luis Castillo back in 2002. For that, he's been granted the license to try and do even better this time around.

"#Mayhem. Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 September 13, 2014 MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Live on Showtime PPV," the Tweet read.

Predictably, I think, fan reaction was mixed. Many fight fans would like to see Floyd take on, stop me if you've heard this before, Manny Pacquiao…or Shawn Porter…or Keith Thurman…or Peter Quillin. Many of those negative nellies think that Floyd was "letting" Maidana have some success early on in their tangle and that when he decided to use his legs and brain, he took rounds with relative ease. Maidana has no hope of winning, they say. Me, I think the kid should be rewarded for exceeding expectations…and I think the possibility exists that at 37, Floyd, who turns 38 in Feb., has started to slide. I saw him get caught with some punches that he didn't expect to, as if the reflexes that were present a couple years ago were no longer A plus grade.

Here is the release the promoters sent out shortly after Floyd's newsy Tweet:

REMATCH SET BETWEEN 11-TIME WORLD CHAMPION FLOYD MAYWEATHER AND POWER-PUNCHER MARCOS MAIDANA ON SATURDAY, SEPT. 13 ON SHOWTIME PPV® AT

MGM GRAND IN LAS VEGAS

LAS VEGAS (July 10, 2014) - Their thrilling first fight last May left sports fans clamoring for more. Now, 11-time world champion Floyd "Money" Mayweather and Marcos "El Chino" Maidana will do it again. "MAYHEM: Mayweather vs. Maidana II," a welterweight world championship fight announced today,will take placeSaturday, Sept. 13 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, live on SHOWTIME PPV.

Ticket information and information about an upcoming five-city, cross-country press tour starting thisMonday, July 14 will be announced shortly.

Despite the brutal nature of their first meeting, Mayweather has chosen to give Maidana a chance to redeem himself and earn a victory against the undefeated champion by facing him again in the storied MGM Grand Garden Arena. This exciting rematch will serve to test the skill and will of both men and finish what was started last May.

"Marcos Maidana is a tough customer and he gave me a fight that had me work for the victory," said Mayweather. "His style is difficult at best, but with experience comes a way and will to win. I'm not one to give second chances in the ring, but I want to give the fans what they want to see. I will be as prepared as I always am when I step in the ring on September 13. I only see the outcome one way and that's another successful night for me and my team."

"The rematch with Mayweather is the only fight that really motivates me," said Maidana. "I feel I earned it in the ring and Floyd owed it to me. I've already proved that I don't care if the man I have in front of me is the best pound-for-pound champion. I was close to ending his reign last time. On September 13 he will not get away undefeated."

"This will be another great test for Floyd as Marcos Maidana is hungry to prove he can not only give Floyd a good fight, but redeem his loss and hand Floyd his first defeat," said Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions. "Maidana is clearly one of the best in the division and earned this opportunity to face Floyd once again. But that is a big mountain to climb and Floyd will be prepared as he always is to prove once again why they call him TBE, the best ever. It will be another great fight and action-packed evening for the fans."

"SHOWTIME has established itself as the destination for the biggest, most exciting events in boxing, and we are proud to announce our next event with Floyd Mayweather," said Stephen Espinoza, Executive Vice President & General Manager, SHOWTIME Sports. "On May 3, the fearless Marcos Maidana attacked Floyd Mayweather with reckless abandon, landing more punches than any previous Mayweather opponent and giving Mayweather one of the toughest fights of his career. That peformance earned Maidana this rematch, and we are in for another electrifying night of boxing."

"The first fight between Floyd Mayweather and Marcos Maidana was incredible and it's an honor to have the opportunity to host the rematch at MGM Grand," said Richard Sturm, president of Sports & Entertainment for MGM Resorts International.  "These two world-class athletes put on a spectacular show in May and will do so once again in September when they step into the ring."

"MAYHEM: Mayweather vs. Maidana II," a 12-round world championship bout for Mayweather's 147-pound titles taking place Saturday, Sept. 13 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, is promoted by Mayweather Promotions and Golden Boy Promotions and sponsored by Corona. The event will be produced and distributed live by SHOWTIME PPV and is the fourth fight of a lucrative six-fight deal with Showtime Networks Inc.

Their first meeting, "THE MOMENT: Mayweather vs. Maidana," was an epic 12-round showdown that ended in a majority decision (114-114, 117-11, 116-112) in favor of the pound-for-pound champion Mayweather. Maidana came out of the gate with his trademark wild style, making Mayweather uncomfortable and keeping him on the ropes in the early rounds of the fight. Using his typical animalistic style, Maidana attacked Mayweather with punches from all angles and by the end of the night, had landed more punches on Mayweather than any other opponent Mayweather faced throughout his undefeated career.

This style contrasted in a beautiful symphony between the two fighters with Mayweather's legendary defense on full display from the pound-for-pound great. After taking time to adjust to Maidana's style, Mayweather was able to find his rhythm and use his expert technique to keep Maidana's aggression from getting the best of him. Mayweather's ring intelligence guided his game plan as he displayed a series of combinations and counterpunched effectively to win the fight. Both fighters left everything in the ring, but Mayweather's undeniable ring savvy led to a 12-round majority decision for him over Maidana, but also left the fans clamoring for more.

Undefeated Floyd "Money" Mayweather, (46-0, 26 KOs), an 11-time world champion in five weight divisions, is boxing's biggest star and its undisputed pound-for-pound champion. His speed, defensive prowess and ability to read his opponents have carried him to 46 victories over his already legendary career. Prior to the aforementioned exhilarating first fight between Mayweather and Maidana, Mayweather had already faced boxing's most feared opponents and been a part of its biggest events. He solidified his worldwide popularity when he faced then-undefeated boxing phenom Canelo Alvarez last September. The mega-event, which set the record as the highest grossing pay-per-view event in television history with over $150 million in revenue, showed once again that Mayweather's drawing power is unlike any other. During Mayweather's extraordinary career, he has amassed wins over numerous world champions, including Arturo Gatti, Zab Judah, Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Juan Manuel Marquez, Shane Mosley, Victor Ortiz, Miguel Cotto, Robert Guerrero, Alvarez and most recently Maidana, marking his 46th win. The Grand Rapids, Mich., native, who fights out of Las Vegas, averages more than one million pay-per-view buys per event, which is the highest pay-per-view buy average of any boxer in history, and is the only fighter to participate in two events which generated over 2 million pay-per-view buys each. In 2007, Mayweather co-headlined a pay-per-view event with De La Hoya, which generated the largest number of PPV buys in history. Mayweather has continued to rack up the accolades since defeating Maidana in May, as he has been named the world's highest-paid athlete by Forbes and Fortune/Sports Illustrated for the last calendar year and nominated for "Best Male Athlete" and "Fighter of the Year" at this year's ESPN ESPY Awards.

Thirty-year-old Marcos "El Chino" Maidana (35-4, 31 KOs) put on a show this past May when he stood toe-to-toe and challenged the king of boxing, Floyd Mayweather, before losing a majority decision that left the MGM Grand Garden Arena and sports world buzzing. More people than ever were able to gain an appreciation for the soft-spoken Argentine brawler with this great pay-per-view performance that earned him another shot at Mayweather. Maidana put himself on the map when he stunned the boxing world in December 2013 with a dominant victory over up-and-coming superstar Adrien Broner. Hailing from Margarita, Santa Fe, Argentina, Maidana first emerged on the world scene in 2009, when he won the interim WBA Junior Welterweight World Championship with a stunning sixth-round technical knockout over Victor Ortiz. After three defenses of his title, Maidana lost a 2010 Fight of the Year candidate to Amir Khan, but he regained the belt with another classic against future Hall of Famer Erik Morales in 2011. In 2012, Maidana joined forces with renowned trainer Robert Garcia (2012 Trainer of the Year) and has since gone 4-1 with 3 knockouts with his only loss coming at the hands of Mayweather.

Talk to me. You like? Dislike? Can Maidana get the W in a rematch..or will Floyd have a much easier time against the rumbler in this rematch?

oubobcat says:

Well we are now official and know the site will also be MGM and not somewhere in NY.

I will say right off the bat I am very interested and think Maidana deserves another crack. It will be very interesting to me to see what adjustments both make come the rematch. Mayweather is also doing a lot of talking about a surprise next May but first he better be focused and take care of business in the ring in September.

I do think we are going to see a strong undercard with a strong supporting co-feature fight. Broner-Matthysse has been tossed out around on twitter but that strictly appears at this time to be nothing more than a rumor with nothing substantive right now. Even if not Broner-Matthysse, a fight of similar magnitude. And then get creative with the other bouts like Kamegai-Soto Karass or something similar where the styles of the fighters would make for a slugfest.

Of course, right now to we do not know who the promoter of the event will be so that will have a major impact of who lands on the undercard and is still a major question to be answered.

Skibbz says:

Again Team Mayweather proves to be too smart.

Firstly, they know they got Maidana's number.

Secondly, Maidana killed himself morning till night getting into the best shape of his life - how did it stack up vs Mr #1 P4P? No where near good enough. So what does that tell Chino and his team? Train harder. Chino will over train and will lose before he steps into the ring.

Thirdly, Maidana's camp out won't be fixing up a new battle plan - they're going to come in with the same tactics only they're going to try bring in a bigger and better engine.

Along with every other boxing fan who knows the pedigree of these two fighters, I believed Floyd would make easy work of him in the first fight. He did. Just because he allowed Chino to maul him and possibly win 3-4 rounds doesn't mean a thing. He let the hot head cool off his steam till he was warm enough to touch. It's clever boxing, especially when you're a great defensive boxer.

Floyd will do what he does best, get in great shape and work things out on the night. Chino will over do it in camp, get consumed by the sight of Floyd standing in front of him during the fight and punch himself out again before 6 rounds.

Another UD for Mayweather and a very disappointing match up. A mockery of the fans and an exploitation of their addiction to PPV.

What's the big surprise for May... Amir?

deepwater2 says:

Floyd will have Chino in a pair of pillow gloves. Floyd will also demand that the NSAC appoints a referee that will not let Chino get away with any borderline rough stuff while Floyd uses his illegal elbow. Floyd will cruise to an easy UD12 Chino will have at least 2 points deducted while getting warned numerous times.
Golden Boy will be the promoter in association with Mayweather Promotions.

The Commish says:

Geez, I can't believe you guys are writing Maidana off like this. While I, too, see another points victory for $$$May, I don't believe that he is going to have an easier time fighting off the hard-charging Argentine in September.

I keep hearing and reading that $$$May will "keep this fight in ring center." Do you really think he can do that round after round. Maidana throws punches. Lots of them. Sure, he'll get hit. But he's willing to stand and trade with $$$May all night long.

As far as the officials, do not expect TMT to walk in and tell new NSAC Executive Director Bob Bennett who should work and who shouldn't. The former Special Prosecutor for the FBI is not a guy to be dictated to.

For those of you who aren't going to buy the event, I feel sorry for you. I believe you are going to be missing a good one.

-Randy G.

The first fight was very close. Madaina gassed big time in the last few rounds and the second half was a bit boring and uneventful.

Floyd had a tough time with Chino so I respect him for making the rematch. However I still have no interest in dropping 70$ on it, especially with Floyd stating he will fight on his bicycle this time.

Lucas M would knock Broners head off which is what the world wants to see and would help PPV numbers but Broner wont take that fight he knows he will get beat half to death.

I could care less about Floyd's "surprise" next May. I mean really, didnt he say before "pac is next"?

he doesnt bait me

-Randy G.

The piracy on the mainland USA will be in full effect. Or even those homes that can pick satellite TV will see the duplicate fight free again.

The results of this dance will be the same as the first one. Showtime providers are weak in blocking hackers from Showtime PPV signals. I will be in the P-Island and will be seeing the fights free from the American Forces Network anyway.

In the old T$$ Universe, we had a Reader/Poster name Hakim who was hooking up da hoods in several Cali locales. And when I teased him about it, dude invited me to throw down. But when he identified me at a gym, and not hiding in plain sight, he claimed to have been just jiving.

The last that I heard of him, he was during time for cable piracy and identity theft. He is probably bunking with SCLA Ali. Hehe! Holla!

Occasionally in boxing one fighter can reach his peak while the other fighter begins to decline. sometimes the difference is only a decline in desire.

after 37 years of abstaining from vices like alchohol, even when he's in the midst of some of the most lavish parties thrown since King Solomon walked the earth, The man may be secretly craving a taste of Las Vegas's most expensive champagne.

at some point every athlete wants to be able to live like everybody else.

Maidana has a real chance to make history. I suspect he never got out of shape after the first fight. Maidana reminds me of those mutants who lived in the mountains and preyed on people in that movie "The Hills Have Eyes". (I mean this in a good way)

I can picture Maidana training in the wilderness, cut off from civilization, feeding of the land with his weirdly scoped short barrel rifle while punching the bark off balboa trees from sun-up to sundown. A man whose singular focus is on his prey.

Maidana is totally insulated from the mind games...he doesn't care about the conceit and vanity of celebrity and the trappings of stardom. Maidana specifically said after the loss he would not fight anyone again for an entire year if he couldn't get another fight with Mayweather. He was adamant about this... (despite Broner crooning for a rematch). That's an awesome display of conviction and true dedication. An now that he's come within a hairs breadth of defeating the #1 P4P fighter in the world he's more motivated than ever.

Ariza is out of the picture and the old school training is back according to trainer Robert Garcia, I wouldn't be surprised if they had Maidana chasing Rhode-Island-Red roosters around a muddy pen to get prepared.

Maidana will be training with whatever allowable pair of gloves permitted by the Mayweather camp and by fight time he'll be making those gloves sing like handheld bricks.

Money May had best dust off his supposedly never-needed-before "A-Game" for this fight. Maidana is thirstier than ever. He can smell victory cooking on the grill like a freshly butchered carcass.

This is going to a be an edge of the seat affair.

Skibbz says:

I think Brownsugar that Floyd is battling something more than a want to be like every one else. He is a living legend on the big stage fighting to prove to everyone else that he's not human.

By taking Maidana again he is further bolstering his legend because he will not lose. Why are you all giving Maidana a chance in this fight? I've watched the fight over many times and Maidana barely has a look in.

If you were to be scoring in Maidana's favour, you could only at most give him 3 or 4 of the 12 rounds. Floyd will win this fight comfortably. Maidana's style will get pulses racing for a few early rounds but that's all!

I believe this dance will be as close as the last one. In that one, I scored it 5-4-3 for Money May.

With the shift punching and jabbing and stabbing that Maidana uses nowadays, he has Money May's number. Or any shoulder-rolling pug's number.

Maidana is just not adroit enough to pop Money May with enough blinding shots to put him down. And that is the only way that Maidana can win this thing. Holla!

Maidana is a live dog... Rob Garcia has shown he can be taught new tricks. Like jabbing more and avoiding the Mayweather right hand ( better than most ).
I appreciate your opinion Skibbz but even you have to admit the first fight was a bit of a challenge.

3 or 4 of the 12 rounds you have to be kidding.

Watch the first 6 rounds and tell me which guy you would have rather been.

Skibbz says:

A challenge in the sense that he had to allow the steam to cool before turning up his own heat. Team Chino did it wrong, they took it straight to the crescendo with no build up. Had Maidana been able to keep the steam going for 12 rounds then you can call it a challenge. The output and pressure wasn't maintained into the second half of the fight and Floyd was picking him apart with 50% of his punches landing all throughout the fight from the first round.

Floyd was so smart, he kept hitting him to the body at every opportunity then sitting back and goading the hot head forward. His concentration kept him from slipping, even whilst Maidana was landing repeated illegal shots to the back of the head and had a cut over his right eye. Maidana was too crude in his approach and spent his energy too early in the fight, with compliments from the Mayweather body shots.

3 or 4 of the 12 rounds you have to be kidding.

Watch the first 6 rounds and tell me which guy you would have rather been.

I would have given Maidana a maximum of 4 rounds. After round 6 he was a dead horse. Floyd went to the body and took Maidana's wind. He gave him further oppurtunity to spend himself and the one dimensional brute did it because he doesn't think inside the ring.

You build up to a crescendo, you don't start at one. 12 rounds isn't a drag race and you have to pace yourself and maintain your defence no matter how brutish your style. Even sluggers have to take care not to get whacked to the body because your energy will go, and remember that when you miss a shot to the body it takes almost as much as when you take a shot to the body.

The Shadow says:

Some guys just can't get a break, huh?

First they said Maidana was robbed. Then it turned into, "Floyd won't fight him again, he was too tough."

Once rematch rumors emerged, out of thin air, the narrative became, "he's going to give him rehydration clauses," as if the dude can possibly get any heavier than he was before.

Now that the fight is official, lo and behold, guys are calling it a cherry pick, saying "oh, he's just going to run around and pot shoot him."

But I thought his legs were gone?

Some guys just can't get a break.

The Argentinian bad a$$ is going to get tortured. I am very fastidious with my words. And "torture" is the only one that comes to mind. It will not be the same fight. No way, no how.

Like Radam said in another thread, I don't know why people are so silent about it. I just don't know. (Maybe there's a confidentiality agreement?) This dude coulda sat with Floyd Landis on stage 17.

"When you're that good that you're able to take a great fighter and make him look as if he's a journeyman," Mike Tyson says of Floyd Mayweather, "you're going to build animosity because that's just a human trait and that's what this country produces."

Say what, Mike?

"When you're that good that you're able to take a great fighter and make him look as if he's a journeyman, you're going to build animosity because that's just a human trait and that's what this country produces."

Now that Maidana won't be able to duplicate that performance -- he won't -- I guarantee a myriad of others excuses will surface.

"He was demoralized because he couldn't wear his gloves."

"Vegas was in his pocket!"

"They probably dehydrated him!"

Some guys just can't catch a break...

***

Post Scriptum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCRhzrSRA0 (x = one small dose of synthetic test + elevated hematocrit)

[url]http://youtu.be/YUTvaU5fXO4

The Shadow says:

Some guys just can't get a break, huh?

But I thought his legs were gone?

Some guys just can't get a break.

The Argentinian bad a$$ is going to get tortured. I am very fastidious with my words. And "torture" is the only one that comes to mind. This will be completely different. Watch carefully. Different pace, different punch output, different endurance, different performance.

Like Radam said in another thread, I don't know why people are so silent about it. I just don't know. (Maybe there's a confidentiality agreement?) This dude probably coulda sat with Floyd Landis on stage 17!

Say what, Mike?

Now that Maidana won't be able to duplicate that performance (punch output, pace, endurance and performance), I guarantee a myriad of others excuses will surface.

"He was demoralized because he couldn't wear his gloves."

"Vegas was in his pocket!"

"They probably dehydrated him!"

Some guys just can't catch a break...

***

Post Scriptum: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCRhzrSRA0 (x = one small dose of synthetic test + elevated hematocrit)

[url]http://youtu.be/YUTvaU5fXO4

The Shadow says:

Some guys just can't get a break, huh?

But I thought his legs were gone?

Some guys just can't get a break.

"When you're that good that you're able to take a great fighter and make him look as if he's a journeyman," Mike Tyson says of the widespread criticism of Floyd Mayweather, "you're going to build animosity because that's just a human trait and that's what this country produces."

Say what, Mike?

Now that Maidana won't be able to duplicate that performance, I guarantee a myriad of others excuses will surface.

"He was demoralized because he couldn't wear his gloves."

"Vegas was in his pocket!"

"They probably dehydrated him!"

Some guys just can't catch a break...

***

[url]http://youtu.be/YUTvaU5fXO4

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=brownsugar;57890]You get no argument from me Skibbz.... I agree totally ... But a lot of people didn't see it this way and if Maidana can get more moments like this ....technically he could score the upset of the century....[/QUOTE]

Yes, excellent analysis from Skibbz.

Sure, Maidana hit Floyd more. But did he score more? That's the real question.

Last I checked, rabbit shots, low blows and hitting arms and elbows aren't scoring blows.

I mean, sure, I would've rather been Maidana in terms of damage sustained.

With close to a hundred rabbit punches, a dozen blows to the balls, busting somebody open with butt, Muay Thai-knee, tackling, biting, and hitting your man with that Ronda Rousey armbar, you're bound to leave a mark.

Especially when the guy you're facing is naturally three weight classes below you inside that ring (165 super middleweight vs. 147 welterweight).

By comparison, all he took was a few forearms and gloved punches from a guy with eight knuckles on his miniature hands.

(To Maidana's credit, that's how you fight Floyd. It's up to the ref to enforce the rules. I'm sure Maidana would've hit him with that Guile kick from Street Fighter 2, had he known how to do so.)

That said, it's a boxing match, not a street fight.

And within the rules of boxing -- scoring clean punches, defense, ring generalship and effective aggression (when dfense renders aggression INeffective it > in the scoring department) -- this was a par-for-the-course, though tougher-than-expected, 8-9 rounds for Floyd.

Mayweather won that fight handily.

Latest Articles

mikejoneshasanewtrainer
mayweathercanfightwhohewantswhenhewantsperiod
mayweathersbacktoschoolgiveawayaragingsuccess
austintroutanddanieldawsonfightforsurvivalatpechanga
teamprovodnikovreallywantsbrandonriosnext
rocnationsportswantsrigo
jeanpascalwaitingforadonisstevensontosteptotheline
kovaelvtoauctionitemsformago
bkbfightresults
kellbrookdethronesshawnporterincaliforniaonshowtime

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?