Mauricio “El Maestro” Herrera, Yet Another Riversider Looking to Sizzle

BY David A. Avila ON July 09, 2014

Mauricio-Herrera

Mauricio “El Maestro” Herrera has battled some of the best junior welterweights in the world and beaten most of them.

So why can’t he get a little more attention?

“It’s funny but after my last fight some fans recognized me on the street and asked for my autograph and photo,” said Herrera, who resembles Argentine soccer star Lionel Messi. “That had never happened to me before.”

A stirring performance against WBA and WBC junior welterweight champion Danny “Swift” Garcia changed all of that this past March.

“A lot of Puerto Ricans came up to me after the fight and told me I won,” said Herrera. “That made me feel good.”

Herrera (20-4, 7 Kos) hopes to continue those feel good performances when facing Venezuela’s Johan Perez (19-1-1, 13 Kos) at the MGM Grand on Saturday, July 12. The Las Vegas fight card will be televised on Showtime PPV.

Time after time, the junior welterweight from Riverside, California has shown a fearlessness that belies his unintimidating looks. From the very first time he stepped in the boxing ring as a professional, Herrera faced quality opposition.

“My first fight was at junior middleweight against a much bigger guy, Angel Osuna,” said Herrera, adding that Osuna recently suffered a career ending injury in the boxing ring when he was knocked out of the ropes by Hugo Centeno and fell hard on the edge. It resulted in a subdural hematoma but luckily Osuna survived. “I didn’t care if they were bigger or had good records. I just wanted to fight the best.”

Herrera realized when he started at age 27, he couldn’t afford to gradually climb up the professional ladder. But despite beating quality opposition and dangerous fighters that others avoided, Herrera fell beneath the radar.

It seemed that nobody was paying attention to Herrera, who fought under Thompson Boxing Promotions the same group that discovered Tim “Desert Storm” Bradley and Josesito “Riverside Rocky” Lopez.

Apparently someone else was watching.

Golden Boy Promotions had been watching with keen interest “El Maestro,” especially after the come-from-behind win over Ruslan Provodnikov that some ranked as the Fight of the Year in 2011. Then, in 2012, Herrera had another breathtaking performance against undefeated Mike Alvarado in Las Vegas. The clincher was his brilliant display of boxing with the champion Danny “Swift” Garcia in Bayamon, Puerto Rico this past March 15.

When Herrera’s contract with Thompson Boxing ended, he was immediately approached by Golden Boy Promotions. He signed and now is set to perform on the big stage.

“It feels good and exciting, it’s a big card,” said Herrera, age 34. “I can’t really ask for anything more.”

Herrera trains in a desolate hillside gym in Mira Loma that can only be accessed by driving on dirt roads. Visitors are scarce, especially during the summer when temperatures surpass 100 degrees inside the boxing facility. One day, three unexpected visitors arrived.

“Oscar (De La Hoya) came down last week with Robert Diaz and Eric Gomez to watch me train. I didn’t know they were going to come,” said Herrera. “Everything is coming together.”

Herrera asked the Golden Boy trio that he fight the best junior welterweights in the world. Though offers have come from many welterweights, the Riverside boxer with a style that can best be called similar to James “Lights Out” Toney prefers to make his mark at 140-pounds before tackling the 147-pounders. And when that happens, he can think of a few fellow Riverside County prizefighters that would stir up the neighborhood.

Years ago Herrera sparred both Josesito Lopez and Tim Bradley. All three knew that they might meet again someday in the future.

“Bradley said we couldn’t spar anymore because he could foresee us fighting against each other one day,” Herrera said, remembering that day. “Tim is looking for a fight and now that Top Rank is working with Golden Boy again it’s a fight that can be made.”

The other big match would be Herrera and Josesito Lopez.

“Put me and Josesito and me in the ring and see what happens. We’ll make it our retirement fight,” says Herrera.

But first Herrera must get by the talented Johan Perez, who has victories over Steve Forbes and Yoshihiro Kamagai.

“He’s a good fighter and very tall,” Herrera says of Perez. “I just have to get past Perez for everything to happen.”

riverside says:

Who is making it to the fight? hit us up.

Tim Bradley is one paranoid dude sometimes. He dissed and kicked me outta his dressing room years ago because he rightly guessed that he would one day fight Da Manny.

I had been attending most of TB's bouts. It was just a coincidence that I was in the neighborhood. Even when he beat Junior "bulls**tter" Witter, I was there. When he beat Kendall Holt, I was there. And the night that he was initially awarded a win against Nate "The Galaxxy Warrior" Campbell, I was there. And this when it HAPPENED.

TB STRAIGHT-UP dissed me: "Hey Filipino, wassup with you? You be at all my d@mn fights, man! EV'YWHEREEE! You gots [$¡¢] ta gooo! You're spying for Manny PakCOW [sic]...." Holla!

oubobcat says:

Perez fought Steve Forbes about a year and a half ago and had a tough night inside the ring. He was lucky to get that decision.

However, something clicked with Perez and he has fought much better since including impressive wins over Kamegai and Spadafora. Its not just that he won but that he showed improved defense and boxing skills in those fights. He is getting better as a boxer.

We all know about Herrera and his controversial loss his last time out to Danny Garcia. It seems most people are assuming based off that that Herrera will win on Saturday. I'm not so sure.

I think this might be the most competitive fight of the night. I also think it will provide some pretty good action. It should be an interesting fight and one I am looking forward to on the PPV undercard.

Skibbz says:

After his showing against Provodnikov I have nothing but respect for this hard working warrior pugilist. He deserves cracks at better belts but the powers that be don't want to give him the chance. But it's up to him to take the stepping-stone belt and knock on the doors with it. He can do it, and he will get another major title shot sooner rather than later. Wish you guys all the best Riverside.

riverside says:

Thanks Skibbz, Hopefully everything work out fine, M-H is relaxed pumped up and motivated,after fighting in Puerto-Rico, Vegas is like fighting at home. I'd like to see a quick start, take the early rounds. Perez has never been at anything close to this stage might have the jitters. Gonna be a good one.

Skibbz says:

I agree I think Herrera will take it to him early and show him who's the more skilled boxer. Perez will come to fight but he's going to get beaten by Mauricio no doubt, Mauricio is one cool head in the ring.

Latest Articles