Algieri Would LOVE To Fight Pacquiao...IF The Price Is Right

BY Michael Woods ON July 08, 2014

Chris-Algieri

Manny Pacquiao needs a dance partner for his November 22nd date, and New Yorker Chris Algieri, last seen giving a lesson in perseverance and top-level pugilism and ring generalship against Ruslan Provodnikov on June 15, is willing to rumble with the Congressman.

If…

If he can secure what he believes is a reasonable payday for his effort.

The 30-year-old Long Islander has been busy as all heck enjoying the spoils of his win against the feared Siberian in Brooklyn, and that includes a stint on the CBS show "Unforgettable" on an episode which ran on Sunday night. He told me that he won't give up the day job, for Hollywood, and that he's keen on tackling Pacman. He'll even go to Macau to do the violent waltz: "If the deal is proper, I am in. I am a world champion----pay me."

Indeed he is; the WBO 140 pound crown resides in his Huntington, Long Island home. But Algieri (20-0 with 8 KOs) isn't a brawler with a tunnel vision mindset fixed on getting the fight at all costs. No, the fighter owns a Bachelor's and Master's degrees, and is no dummy when it comes to doing the research to gauge his worth.

"I'm tough, not stupid," the boxer told me. "My risks have been calculated--time to get what I deserve. I have options."

Promoter Joe DeGuardia has been back and forth the last few weeks with Pacman's promoter, Bob Arum, and is getting an assist from old Arum pal ArtiePelullo. Pelullo has a piece of Algieri's contract, secured when he put his guy Provodnikov in with the junior welter who looked on the road to being a quickie steamrolled victim, but re-set his faculties, and then boxed a master class in Brooklyn.

Algieri didn't dispute it when I probed and described the current offer on the table from Top Rank to meet the 36-in-December-year-old 56-5-2 Filipino, as a seven figure deal. I get the sense it's a low seven-figure deal, and he'd like the pot to be bolstered. The fight would be in China, he said, and the contracted weight would be over his current class of 140 pounds, which he said he makes with no worry. The travel is no impediment, but he could secure some good scraps at 140, and continue to build his brand, so I get the sense he isn't feeling like he has to latch on to the current terms offered by Arum.

Life is tribal and sports are tribal, and marketers do like to have options to sell to, and when searching for a telegenic person to pitch a product or service. People do tend to root for those that look and talk like them, and could the Caucasian hitter from New York fill a niche that has been hard to find in the last few decades? Indeed he could…and I think he knows it. He knows he doesn't NEED to be a "B-side," and is quite rightly immensely proud of himself for gaining that WBO strap: "I am a world champion…that should be a substantial payday, no?"

Rhetorical question, friends…

You'll recall that Manny Pacquiao's last fight came against Tim Bradley. Bradley was guaranteed $6 million for that scrap. The fight before that, foe Brandon Rios was guaranteed $4 million to travel to Macau and fight the Congressman. Juan Manuel Marquez was guaranteed $6 million when he tangled with Pacman in December 2012, while Bradley was guaranteed $5 million in his first fight with Pacman, in June 2012. You can quibble and take issue and debate this compare and contrast, and note that the Provodnikov was Algieri's' first mega-rodeo event. But Algieri isn't really having it…

"Bradley was another undefeated world champion (in the first fight), like myself," he told me. "And I'm more marketable and just beat the most feared man in the sport. For short money." Algieri continued: "Rios (entering the Pacquiao bout) was coming off a loss to a man (Mike Alvarado) that Provodnikov destroyed. And I beat Provodnikov, by a wide margin, in my opinion."

Money matters aside, I delved into what the Pacquiao-Algieri fight might look like. Manny moves way better than Ruslan…could that prove to be a problem? Is it a 50-50 fight, in his eyes?

"Nope," said Algieri, a former kickboxer who built a 20-0 record as a pro. "I win. I'm bigger, longer, stronger. I'm not a stupid fighter. Skills pay the bills."

LOL, and it came back around to money. Yep, bills need to get paid. And to engage in this most dangerous game which in fact is not game at all, boxers deserve to get paid handsomely. How handsome a stack would Algieri need to get 'er done? Handsomer than is on the table now…

Stay tuned…

Follow Michael Woods on Twitter. https://twitter.com/Woodsy1069

The title says it all.... And only if the price is right....because there's no way he has a " Tim Bradley " chance of winning that one.

Carmine Cas says:

Should be interesting

It's rumored that Algieri had already been offered the fight.
It appears the Bobfather is true to his word.
The fight probably makes financial sense to top rank...especially they fight in China.
Personally its a fight I won't buy on PPV.
I think its an easy one-sided fight for Manny.
Algieri did fight the Russian Rocky for peanuts.
He should be well compensated.
But don't expect the whole world to be watching.

You are dealing with the "theatre of the expected." And there is a lot of tricks of the trade in full effect. And optical illusions are everywhere.

All up on the pugvine, the word is that "Algieri has the right complexion to get the selection. But his arse will have no protection." And the scribes are taking off running with it. But they aren't telling you how many injuries that C-Al suffered from tSR mauling on his arse. And I ain't going there. I'm just throwing it out, because everything eventually comes out.

C-Al is damage goods now. And it will be kept on the down low, as the high ups try to cash him out. I hope in China, "MURDER!" They don't shout. Holla!

oubobcat says:

It does appear that Arum has zeroed in on Algieri as the opponent. I am a little surprised as I am not sure how marketable the fight will be. But then again there wern't many available opponents and the one Arum truly wanted, Marquez, seemingly had zero interest.

Ultimately, Algieiri will get more than what is currently on the table but it won't be substantially more. Bradley, Marquez and Rios each are big names and brought something a lot more to the table. Algieiri is a new comer to this level and had not accomplished anywhere near what the other three had when they stepped into the ring with Pacquiao.

I do hope Top Rank learned from the Rios fight and puts on a strong undercard. That does not seem to be their philosophy but maybe with recent PPV numbers they up the ante a little bit. If, for example, Provodnikov faces the winner of Rios-Chaves and a couple other decent fights are added that would help get some buzz going and add to the value of the card.

mortcola says:

You all know that I am an Algieri fan. Worked out with him, lots of analyzing him in the gym ring and the arena. He is kind of a prodigy, having improved 200% (approximately) in the last year, learning and implementing exactly what he needed to learn. He was a good gym fighter but hittable back then, and you saw how he kept Ruslan’s significant pu chess in single digits AFTER getting his brain scrambled - his learning curve was the best I’ve seen. But I am both realistic, and in all modesty, a guy who got a Ph.D. and a published book WHILE fighting - I am known for my knowledge of the fine points. HOWEVER, and this is the realistic coming out: even prodigies need lots of experience, and while he WILL analyze and decipher aspects of Pac’s game for a few rounds, its just too much to take on at this point. Pac just overwhelms him after a noble effort. No shame there. But this is a med-school fund fight, and I don’t think he can last the distance, has never seen angles and footwork like Pac will present, and will get worn down. But don’t underestimate the savvy of a guy who did what he did AFTER a potentially fight-ending first round. He may supply Radam with some good rhymes, but I am pretty confident I know what I’m watching. Four or five rounds of solid counterpunching and keeping Pac off balance, and then he gets buzz sawed one too many times. Think I’m just blinded by my homie still?

C-Al would get a giant college superfund. But by round three, he'd be busted up and super stunned. He'll believe that he had been in a Pinoy beehive. He'll be concussed and out like a light before round five. Hehehe! Holla!

The Commish says:

It's rumored that Algieri had already been offered the fight.
It appears the Bobfather is true to his word.
The fight probably makes financial sense to top rank...especially if they fight in China.
Personally its a fight I won't buy on PPV.
I think its an easy one-sided fight for Manny.
Algieri did fight the Russian Rocky for peanuts.
He should be well compensated.
But don't expect the whole world to be watching.

For those who don't watch, they'll just have to watch HBO the following week to see the kid from Long Island pull off his second upset of the year when he beats Manny Pacquiao!

-Randy G.

-Randy G.

Hehehehe! Nice, Commish! You got jokes! Holla!

The Commish says:

What a night that'll be for Algieri. He's gonna' make more than $1 mil--just wait and see--plus it's an early Christmas present with the massive upset of Pacquiao. Two upsets in one year.

Will that make Algieri 2014's "Fighter of the Year?"

-Randy G.

Hehehe! C-Al had a Christmas in June. Two of the judges were descendants of Ali Baba and the 40 thieves. And they straight-up jacked tSR. Being adjacent to "The City That Never Sleep," they had sleep in their eyes and a dream on their minds. Having not been too sleep, probably because of night noise, they were blind and confused as a couple of delirious bats. Hehehe!

The New York judge thought that he was Santa (Big) C. And the Connecticut judge thought that he was the friendly Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer. So the New York Judge Santa (Big C) rode the Connecticut judge friendly Rudolph, and they dropped C-Al a Chistmas-in-June GIFT for bytch tapping, not pro scrapping. C-Al was nice, not naughty. So he got the gift of a lifetime.

Playing the slot machines in Macau, he won't be worth a penny, nickle or dime. The judges there are going to treat him like slime.

Once again, in New York, those two judges were sleepy, since the city, and every borough adjacent to it, never sleeps.

They sleep judging, and thought that they were at a Fred Astaire Dance and an Algieri storybook romance.

Come November in Macau, if Chris Algieri is lucky enough to get the dance, he will be a roast turkey being serve for Da Manny to chew up and spit out. Not another early Christmas gift will C-Al get. His band of thieves are banned from the Island Chinese City. And on him, there will be no pity. He will not get an itsy bitsy of a chance in Macau. And that is life. It is full of strife. Holla!

thegreyman says:

Hahaha best comment on robbery I've ever read, very nice Radam!

Write yourself a robbery and give yourself first place for that!

Skibbz says:

Nice post RG.

Let's be honest, Provodnikov is not a highly technical boxer. He's a slugger who wants to fight and put a real beating on his opponent. Chris Algieri was tapping away from Ruslan all night, evident from the way he doesn't fully retract his jab all the time and just fires it several inches in front of his face. He doesn't sit nearly as much as he should do on his rear foot because he's only interesting in running away.

Now Provodnikov may not have been the man to teach him his lesson, but are you being serious Commissioner? I respect your opinion, but I believe you're allowing your heart dictate on this matter. Manny Pacquiao, one of the all time greatest fighters in the history of the sport, lose to a Chris Algieri? Nonsense.

kelseym says:

Here are my thoughts on this fight:

Meh.

deepwater2 says:

The Commish called the huge upset for Algieri the first time so he might be on to something. Might be time to drop a few smackers on the big underdog again.

oubobcat says:

Nice post RG.

Its hard for me to see Algeiri pulling the upset in this one.

Styles make fights in this sport. Provodnikov had a style that Algieiri could have success against. Provodnikov also has flaws within that style (not cutting the ring off, not effectively using the jab as Skibbz points out and not going to the body consistently enough to take the legs from a fighter who moves) that Algieri was able to exploit. Algieri deserves tons of credit for what he did and the heart he showed but Pacquiao fights in a much different manner than Algieri.

This biggest problem I see for Algieiri against Pacquiao is how does Algieiri deal with Pacquiao's speed. Pacquiao possesses a tremendous hand speed advantage. He will throw quick punches in combination and get out before Algeiri knows what hit him. If Algieri leads, Pacquaio will quickly counter with two or three shots before Algieri has time to move out of harms way.

As for Algieri, he needs to get Pacquiao to somehow respect his power so Pacquiao hesitates and doesn't open up as much. But I don't think Algieri can do that. He just doesn't hit hard enough or throw in combination fast enough to get Pacquiao's respect. And Algieiri does not have what would be called fast hands. His hand speed is not bad but not top level either. So Pacquaio will be more willing to open up not fearing being countered as much by a slower fisted and not that hard punching fighter.

I will say I was wrong on Algieri before the Provodnikov fight. I hope I am wrong here. I want to see a good fight. And there is no question I will be buying. But right now I am foreseeing a one sided Pacquiao dominated decision win.

What a night that'll be for Algieri. He's gonna' make more than $1 mil--personallyait and see--plus it's an early Christmas present with the massive upset of Pacquiao. Two upsets in one year.

Will that make Algieri 2014's "Fighter of the Year?"

-Randy G.

Great opportunity for Algieri....he earned it. And he will earn every penny of his compensation. personally I think he joined the sport too late to accumulate the skills he needs to beat a boxer of Manny's quality.

Is there any public demand for a Pac-Algieri fight? Does anyone outside of the hard core boxing fans know who Algieri is? I don't think so. Nobody wants to see Chris run, I mean box and stick jabs out for 12 rounds. No thanks.

He won't last 12 rounds in Macau. He'd be Da Manny's first kayo since 2009. Haters think that Da Manny has lost his power. NYET! Wrong they are. C-Al will be kayoed. Holla!

I don't want to see this fight RG. Algieri will move like Denny Tarrio and try to survive. Maybe you are right but I'd rather see Da Manny in with Matthysse or Garcia or Khan. Give Macau some fireworks!

The Commish says:

I wish I could say I wasn't factoring in my heart with Algieri, but I can't. He's been a longtime friend, as has been his entire team. But every fighter, short of Rocky Marciano, takes at least one fight too many. Just ask Jeff Lacy, boxing's most recent "I-shoulda-stayed-retired" case.

I guess some of us have different opinions as to what a runner is. Richard Abril is a runner. He is a jab-and-grab runner. His fights are unwatchable. Jab. Grab. Jab. Grab. Wrestle. Hold on. Clinch. Jab. Grab.

Chris Algieri does not run. He slides away. He creates angles. He boxes. He is blessed with everything. Everything except Lucas Matthysse-kind-of-power. But he's no runner. Count the times he clinched Provodnikov. You can't. He didn't clinch, despite the horrific swelling under his right eye, caused by the first-round left hook of Provodnikov.

Clinching? Wladimir Klinchko grabbed onto Alexander Povetkin 171 times in 12 rounds. Why would a 6'7", 245 pound powerhouse clinch? Over and over and over and...

Chris Algieri doesn't clinch. Chris Algieri doesn't run.

Eventually, Manny Pacquiao is going to have that one fight too many. If B-Hop stays around, he too, may also come crashing down. Who knows, $$$May may also short-circuit in the golden years of his boxing career.

Chris Algieri may not beat Pacquiao, but he will not embarrass himself along the way, either.

-Randy G.

oubobcat says:

Chris Algieri doesn't clinch. Chris Algieri doesn't run.

-Randy G.

I agree Algeiri won't embarrass himself. And he is not a runner by any means.

He fought Emanuel Taylor in February on put on an impressive boxing display to me. He often stood in the pocket but slid from side to side while throwing and landing. He did not run but moved and created angles to land punches and avoid Taylor's. It was the definition of the sweet science in that fight.

He didn't run against Provodnikov either. Yes he used his legs he used them to create angles to land punches. He was standing in the pocket quite a bit and would slide effectively to avoid punches and land his own. And he did get hit quite a few times as well. But definitely not running.

I don't mind the Pacquiao fight. Would I rather see Pac in with someone else like from the Golden Boy/Al Haymon camp? Yes I would. But that's not realistic at the moment, we all now that. Algieiri is not a bad option, is a pretty good fighter and will give a good account of himself in this fight. It won't be boring. I think Pac is too much for Algieiri but I also though Provodnikov would steamroll Algieri.

I think that C-Al and tSR should settle the alleged robbery dispute by dancing in Siberia. And we do want fireworks in Macau.

Let the future doctor prove his mettle by getting a win in Siberia. Nyet! Holla!

The Commish says:

Whew! It's gonna' be a long four months of back-and-forth between us as we jaw about this fight.

But it's gonna' be fun!

-Randy G.

I agree Algeiri won't embarrass himself. And he is not a runner by any means.

We are playing with semantics, C-Al is smartly a runner. And it is nothing wrong with running. It comes with the territory. And it ain't no shame in it. C-Al ran like a bambi bytch again tSR.

One does what it takes to win. Even if you are given a GIFT. You don't judge. You fight the way you fight. If running is your cup of tea, you do that.

If clinching is your thing, you do it. If slugging, shoulder rolling, jabbing and grabbing, stepping on toes and hitting and/or whatever is your thing, DO IT. It's your thing. Do it until you are satisfied.

Call a spade a spade. Don't hide in the shape. Holla!

The Pugvine in the P-Islands is buzzing about how C-Al is overplaying his money hand to get a dance with Da Manny. C-Al has been offered $1.5mil, according to electronic interceptions. But he wants closer to $5mil -- "I'm not an unknown anymore.... I just want what I deserve," he says. OMG! Dude is already MANIC and full of feces. WTF!

Few people knows his arse outside of his stomping ground. Da Manny is one of the most known and identified person in the world. Outside of New York, C-Al can come to boxing locales and 95 percent of the dudes and dudettes won't know his arse.

A little success from a gift always destroy that person for bigger fish and success.

C-Al is going to likely end up fighting Broner for $750,000 and getting KTFO. Ain't no way in hell that he is going to rise from fighting for $100,000 in a highly-disputed win to getting to 3, 4, or 5mil to get KTFO by Da Manny in Macau.

C-Al ought to count his blessings and take what he has been offered. Because that is the most that he is going to ever make IMHO. Holla!

deepwater2 says:

CA vs Broner is a fight I would like to see. What would the pre fight antics look like? How would CA handle Broner's verbal abuse? Would Broner be able to walk down CA?

deepwater2 says:

You are right . CA's promoter Is flipping out. Arum is going to take away the offer if it is not accepted today. 1.5 plus some PPV % is fair. Ruslan P is the only big name on the kids resume. Bradley got 3 million but his resume was loaded with top guys. Chris A should take the money and the chance of a lifetime.

Carmine Cas says:

They should settle on two million and call it a fight. Algieri-Broner would be interesting as well, I think Chris is too smart to let Broner's antics phase him and takes Broner to school.

oubobcat says:

CA vs. Broner would be an interesting fight. I think Algieri would win that match.

The reason, and I have said this many times about Broner, is that Broner has way too many dead spots in his fights. Algieiri has no fear to throw and as we saw against Provodnikov has the stamina to maintain a high punch output for 12 rounds. Broner does not hit as hard as Provodnikov at 140 either so don't see Broner's "power" deterring Algieiri in any way from opening up and don't see Broner being able to hurt Algieri either.

I think Algieri would control the dead spots and out hustle Broner to win a decision.

Latest Articles