Mayweather Says Maidana Rematch Is Next

BY Michael Woods ON July 01, 2014

floyd Mayweather

The 'who is next for Floyd' sweepstakes usually drags on longer than this, but it’s looking like maybe we are getting clarity on who will glove up on Sept. 13 against the “Money” man, if you’re going by Floyd’s appearance on the BET Awards red carpet on Sunday night.

Hostess real Miss Kris asked Floyd what he has cooking, and the 38-in-February-year-old hitter, this era’s top dog and a master manipulator of the media, told her that he’ll be meeting a familiar face in his next tussle.

First, the 46-0 (26 KOs) Floyd got off a good line when asked how he’s managed to build what Kris termed “an empire,” and he gave credit to his makers, mom and dad. “I don’t know if I was made in the back seat of a Cadillac, but I’m here,” the Michigan native cracked.

And, what is next? “September 13th, back to business, Marcos Maidana, Floyd Mayweather part two, and then in May, I’ll have a big surprise for you, everybody tune in.”

I poked Maidana trainer Robert Garcia to comment on Floyd’s news drop, and requested comment from Showtime boxing boss Stephen Espinoza for a response well. I will add that material as I receive replies.

Mayweather and Maidana engaged in a much more fan friendly bout than everyone expected on May 3, in vegas, at the MGM, Floyd's home fighting base. Floyd emerged slightly more nicked than usual, with a majority decision.

I agree with the Maidana choice, if that comes to fruition. Maidana deserves the scrap, I think, being that he did better against Floyd than anyone since Jose Luis Castillo. Can he do better in the rematch? I'm doubtful...but what do I and everyone else saying that really know, being that most of us thought he'd win maybe a round in the first tangle. And also, maybe Floyd's legs are getting gray, and in fact, a physical decline is accelerating, and the Argentine can finish the job in September.

Follow Woods on Twitter. https://twitter.com/Woodsy1069

The fight is not yet signed. So expect the unexpected. There are tricks of the trade and optical illusions everywhere.

Money May is a master of getting many excited and than saying, "Fu€π you! I felt that way at that time, but now l've changed my mind." Holla!

The Shadow says:

Lol indeed! You never know! After all, Khan sat and stared at his signed contract for months, got so excited he flashed his pecker and ultimately struck out.

***

Hey, totally random comment: Deontay Wilder just posted an instagram post doing some comedy nonsense. However in the back you can see the COVETED UBF strap proudly on display.

The UBF championship, of course, is the same championship the Alabama boxer captured when he dethroned the formerly undefeated KO machine Charlie Zelenoff in a heroic effort, displaying grit, courage and skill.

The victory earned Wilder adulation and respect worldwide, similar to the notoriety bestowed upon legendary heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali in the wake of his knockout of George Foreman in Zaire 40 years earlier.

It is refreshing to see a champion so proudly represent his sport while paying homage to the sanctioning bodies that undoubtedly have made him the fighter -- and man -- that he is today.

Deontay Wilder - The Shadow salutes you.

***

While it wouldn't be shocking to see him flip-flop and do something else, it does appear someone has decided to get with the problem.

I see a vicious, bloody, destructive 10th round stoppage.

oubobcat says:

Radam, I was doing a search today and folks are going off the comments Mayweather made last night. However, I have yet to see anything "official" from either camp or any confirmations that contracts are signed.

That said, Maidana is the opponent that makes the most sense. He seemed to be the wide clubhouse favorite going in and it would have been a pretty big surprise if he did not get the rematch in September.

I wonder though if the lack of an official announcement has to do with the site location and maybe that is still being negotiated. Could the Barclays Center be under strong consideration?

Also, has the question ever been answered as to which promoter Mayweather will be working with to put on this fight? Is Mayweather Promotions able to stage this on their own or will they be working with someone else and may that someone else be Golden Boy out of necessity?

Another thought, rumors have been rampant the the PPV numbers for the first fight were disappointing. I think they are going to try to put together a strong undercard. But if Mayweather does not work with Golden Boy Promotions here, would that take out fighters that are signed to Golden Boy to be able to perform on the undercard? Oscar says he wants to make the best fights but what if Mayweather chooses not to work with Golden Boy for this PPV? Does that rule Golden Boy fighters out of the card? And of course the old question still to be settled, what fighters are with Golden Boy and who are not solely aligned to Golden Boy?

A lot of questions still out there and that is why I think we have yet to hear an "official" announcement from Mayweather's camp, Maidana's camp, Showtime, etc.

***

Deontay Wilder - The Shadow salutes you.

***

I see a vicious, bloody, destructive 10th round stoppage.

"Ameri-CAN beat Belgium. We CAN beat them all...kick @$$ 'cause Ameri-CAN."

Look as if the Ohio-an "CAN Man" got some followers with his "CAN" jive.

I told you guys that stuff that is accused of being hated jive comes outta boxing and becomes pop culture.

The "CAN Man" ain't looking so badly now.

"Why can we be friend?" This was an old song of GOAT Ali. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmYLrxR0Y8. Just let us all be friends with "CAN." Hehe! Holla!

deepwater2 says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;57174]The Yank fans of world football have gone Broner. They are calling themselves Ameri-CAN!

"Ameri-CAN beat Belgium. We CAN beat them all...kick @$$ 'cause Ameri-CAN."

Look as if the Ohio-an "CAN Man" got some followers with his "CAN" jive.

The "CAN Man" ain't looking so badly now.

"Why can we be friend?" This was an old song of GOAT Ali. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmYLrxR0Y8. Just let us all be friends with "CAN." Hehe! Holla![/QUOTE]

Go Belgium! I want that $500 meal.

deepwater2 says:

oubobcat says:

[QUOTE=deepwater2;57187]Does Chino get to wear the Mexican gloves this time? Floyd paid him over 1 million to switch gloves last time.[/QUOTE]

dino da vinci says:

[QUOTE=deepwater2;57177]Go Belgium! I want that $500 meal.[/QUOTE]

Now technically it doesn't have to be a $500 meal. It could be a $280 meal with a 25% tip. It could be a $312.47 meal with a 31.5% tip. Remember Deep, bail not included.

[QUOTE=oubobcat;57197]I think Mayweather will drop the gloves matter and hone in on something else. He may insist on a re hydration clause (not sure if he did so in the first fight or not) where Maidana cannot gain more than a certain number of pounds after the weigh in.[/QUOTE]

Money May will complain about Maidana mouthpiece being steel or sumpin' [$¡¢]. But one thing he will be happy about is that trainer Danny "Grandpa" G fired Alex Ariza for getting caught giving Maidana Superman adrenaline pills between the rounds. Holla!

deepwater2 says:

That could happen. I think MM was around 165 in the ring.I also see the ref giving more warnings and taking points from MM when he gets rough. I hope Chino started training already because you know Floyd already has to get an advantage.

Skibbz says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;57233]Until the contract is signed, sealed and delivered, I don't believe a word that comes out of Money May's face hole. Too many lies, he has told. OMG! He will come up with ur-nother [$¡¢] one, and say that he's putting the fight on hold. YUP, RIGHT! He won't soon forget what Chino did to his arse that night. Hehehe!

Lie, lie, lie, lie, lie. Politrickers and boxers. It is otherwise called feinting. I believe that Money May is feinting all with fighting Maidana in September. Listen to the song: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbJNkH-pDd8. Holla![/QUOTE]

I've always went by that rule myself especially when one of the fighters is FJM Jr. He knows his way around both inside and outside the ring so until it's concrete it's all speculation and fuel to the fire.

I'm not too happy with it being Maidana, I watched the fight over again last Sunday and after Maidana's steam had finished his boxing was too crude and simple to trouble Floyd. Really dirty fight too, from both fighters, and Weeks didn't do his job adequately. There's plenty of worthy opponents for 'The Best Ever' to face... Now he's recycling a fight against a fighter he's already beaten.. If it's to be that is.

Me personally if I was Chino I would have never given in to Floyds glove demands the day before the fight.
Chino was within his contracts and the commissions rights to use those gloves, let Floyd miss his 33 million dollar payday and look bad.

[QUOTE=amayseng;57259]I think a rehydration clause is bullshit. making weight is making weight, my God you cant impede a man's natural way of replenishing his body. A rehydration clause is a bitch move if you ask me and an unhealthy one for Chino if he accepts it.

This time I think Chino will be very stubborn to give in to any demands. In fact I dont think the fight gets made.[/QUOTE]

oubobcat says:

As for the gloves the last time out, if the reports are true then Maidana had well over a million reasons to change gloves that night.

[QUOTE=Radam G;57264]He will give in. And his trainer D "Grandpa" will too. Grandpa has already fired $&¢ coach Alex Ariza for his corner work of giving Maidana sips and tabs of $uperman adrenaline. And look how quiet that jive is being kept. Holla![/QUOTE]

Very true RG, what do you think he was giving him?

[QUOTE=oubobcat;57268]I agree with you amayseng on the re-hydration clause, though think this is the ultimate strategy Floyd uses.

Since the glove matter was so well publicized (and still is), I think Floyd drops it entirely and instead goes for that re-hydration clause.[/QUOTE]

I agree and I can see that happening. IF you stop your recovery and replenishing your nutrients well you are asking for a bad night in the ring. Chino better not agree to it.

[QUOTE=amayseng;57273]Very true RG, what do you think he was giving him?[/QUOTE]

Tablets and sips of adrenaline. The liquid form is used in the corner for closing cuts. Ariza was the cut man. But an old trick of the trade is sneak some into your mouth for energizing you. The game is tricky. And every trick known will be used. Holla!

Skibbz says:

Add his incomparable ring IQ and his close to perfect technique and it doesn't matter what Maidana comes in at.

[QUOTE=Skibbz;57305]One thing to mention though, for 15 years floyd has routinely been beating guys who weigh in on hen night 10-15lb's heavier than him. It's never been anything he's lost sleep over. His legs maybe slower now but they're still some of the quickest in the div as are his reflexes.

As for the gloves, it was just another way to boss Maidana around, he had to show the guy who doesn't respect him who's running the show.[/QUOTE]

Amen! Holla!

Latest Articles

mikejonesreturnstoringwillcomebackleadtogloryorqwhatmightvebeenqlastchapter
maidanapaysmayweathercomplimentsincode
trainersanchezsaysnowisthetimeforthetopgunslikecottotoacceptgolovkinchallenge
ivanredkachnowtrainingwithrobertgarcia
sindyamadorfightsanahitorresincoronaca
chrisalgierionnewfoundstarstatusandchargenov22isaqppvripoffq
maidanabelieveshellbeatmayweatherinrematchdoyou
pacquiaogetsawinintaxcase
andrewardslawsuitagainstgoossendismissed
pacquiaoalgieripresstourinfohere

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?