Danny Garcia, Danny Jacobs and Lamont Peterson Top Aug. 9 Brooklyn Card

BY Michael Woods ON June 24, 2014

Barclays-Center

I'm looking forward to boxing being back in Brooklyn, at Barclays Center, on Aug. 9, but I'm not guns 'a blazin' about the card as it stands now, I must admit. I'm never bummed at the prospect of seeing Danny Garcia and Lamont Peterson and Danny Jacobs live...but on paper, their foes don't scream "the best fighting the best."

As usual, when faced with this reaction, I am hopeful that my instinct is erroneous, and the bouts play out in a dramatic fashion. And I will admit, it isn't the rare instance when the makers of the matches are proven to know what they are doing, and the bouts turn out to be better than they appear on paper. Hey, maybe Edgar Santana knows his window to contend is closing and he springs the mad upset. Maybe Fletcher possesses skills and electricity which I haven't picked up on YouTubes. Maybe Salka pulls a Mauricio Herrera and outboxes Garcia. One never knows, until one knows...

UPDATED TUESDAY NIGHT: I reached out to Showtime boxing boss Stephen Espinoza, to give him an opportunity to give some insight on this top of the card. He told me he wanted a Danny Garcia-Lamont Peterson fight, but "couldn't get it." Asked to elaborate, he said it wasn't a money issue, but that promoter Golden Boy couldn't make it happen now. He likened it to how HBO and company couldn't make a Sergey Kovalev-Adonis Stevenson bout without first having to craft interims for each. I noted how that pairing would have been met kindly by fans. "Including by me," he responded.

He said also that he thinks Salka is "slightly better than Gabriel Bracero" because of his wins over Rigo Alvarez, Canelos' bro, despite the judges saying otherwise, and then 18-0 Alexei Collado, in his last outing. Espinoza deems the 35-year-old Santana, a winner of three straight, a "live dog."

And what of Fletcher? "Of the three opponents, Fletcher seems like the biggest question mark," he said.

I checked in with fighter/Showtime analyst Paul Malignaggi to get his assessment. The vet said that usually, summertime cards aren't blockbusters and are often landing strips for lesser known fighters to shine. "I don't think anyone expected last years' July 26 Showtime card to be a blockbuster on paper and it turned out to be possibly the best card of a very solid year on the network."

"I don't expect anyone to show up just to lay down and give the bigger name fighters an easy title defense," he continued.

He called Santana "a solid technical fighter" with some pop. "He can punch, I know, I have sparred him." He also said that Garcia has shown himself to be susceptible to crafty boxers who can stick to a gameplan, and Salka maybe could do that. "He was robbed blind against Canelos' brother and I'm glad to see him rewarded for the performance instead of being robbed and hidden under the rug like so many robbed fighters wind up."

And as for Jacobs' foe, Paulie said he hasn't scouted Fletcher much, but that fight is "a step in the right direction up the ladder" for the Brooklyn boxer. "He's young and improving both physically and mentally."

All in all, Malignaggi says that it is sometimes good for lesser fighters to get a shot, as he did against Miguel Cotto in 2006, as Chris Algieri just did against Ruslan Provodnikov. "Sometimes it's not bad to give lesser known fighters a shot if they have the ability to compete."

Measured stuff from the vet; we shall see how it plays out, right friends?

Here is the release which was sent out for the Golden Boy promotion, portions of which will run on Showtime.

promotions

DANNY GARCIA, LAMONT PETERSON AND DANIEL JACOBS TO HEADLINE GOLDEN BOY PROMOTIONS’ RETURN TO BROOKLYN’S BARCLAYS CENTERSATURDAY, AUGUST 9 LIVE ON SHOWTIME®

TICKETS GO ON SALE FRIDAY, JUNE 27 AT NOON ET

BROOKLYN (June 24, 2014) – Golden Boy Promotions is back at Barclays Center onSaturday, August 9, with a SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® tripleheader featuring the sport’s brightest young stars in pivotal world title fights. Boxing on Brooklyn’s biggest stage will be Unified Junior Welterweight World Champion Danny “Swift” Garcia who will meet“Lightning” Rod Salka, IBF 140-Pound Titleholder Lamont Peterson who will face New York’s Edgar “El Chamaco” Santana and Brooklyn’s own Daniel “Miracle Man” Jacobs will challenge Australia’s Jarrod “Left Jab” Fletcher for the vacant WBA World Middleweight Championship.

“This is my third fight at Barclays Center, and it feels like a second home to me,” said Garcia, the undefeated Philadelphia native. “I’ll be ready for Rod Salka, and I’m going to give my Brooklyn fans another great show.”

“This is the biggest stage I have fought on in my career, but that doesn’t intimidate me,” said Salka. “Danny Garcia is beatable, and I’m going to show the world how it’s done. My experience has prepared me for this, and I will be ready on August 9.”

“I’m really excited about this fight and about making a statement to the boxing world that I’m the true junior welterweight world champion,” said Peterson. “I know Danny will be watching me, and I’ll be watching him. After August 9, there will be only one fight to make at 140 pounds.”

“I want to thank Lamont Peterson and his team for giving me this opportunity. This has been a long time coming for me and I’m just so excited and thankful to finally be getting a crack at the world championship,” said Santana. “This is an absolute pleasure for me to get this opportunity, especially since the fight is taking place right here in my hometown of New York. I haven’t fought here in a couple of years and I expect to have a ton of people there to support me come August 9.”

“This whole comeback has been a dream so far, and what better way to keep it going than with a world title fight in my borough?” said Jacobs, who battled back from a bout with cancer to earn a shot at the WBA championship. “This is the fight I’ve been waiting for and no one will keep me from that belt.”

“I know that the hometown crowd will be in Jacob's corner, but that's fine,” said Fletcher. “My goal like Daniel's is to win the WBA Middleweight title – and regardless of where the fight is taking place, I intend on having my hand raised and hearing the ring announcer say ‘AND THE NEW WBA Middleweight World Champion Jarrod "Left Jab" Fletcher...!’”

“We are thrilled to be able to bring such a stacked card; this should help answer any and all questions about the future of Golden Boy Promotions – it is brighter than ever,” said Oscar De La Hoya, president of Golden Boy Promotions. “Barclays Center and the Brooklyn fans have been great supporters of Golden Boy boxing, and we can't wait to bring them another great show on August 9.”

“SHOWTIME continues to deliver the deepest fight cards in boxing,” said Stephen Espinoza, Executive Vice President & General Manager, SHOWTIME Sports. “Three world title fights featuring young, dynamic, American champions at the electrifying Barclays Center in Brooklyn is a recipe for great sports television and the standard for SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING.”

“You know it’s going to be a great night of boxing when Danny Garcia and Brooklyn’s own Danny Jacobs are on the fight card at Barclays Center,” said Brett Yormark, CEO of Barclays Center. “Both of these boxers have captivated audiences in their previous fights at Barclays Center and we are delighted that they are returning to Brooklyn’s most celebrated ring. Golden Boy is once again delivering great boxing to Barclays Center.”

Now in his third year as a world champion, Danny “Swift” Garcia (28-0, 16 KOs) has already made five successful title defenses. He’s defeated Amir Khan, Erik Morales, Zab Judah, Lucas Matthysse and Mauricio Herrera. Still just 26-years-old, Garcia’s fan base is growing with each bout, which isn’t a surprise given his fan-friendly style and willingness to fight all challengers.

Unbeaten in four of his last five fights, with the only loss coming via controversial decision to Ricardo Alvarez last December, Bunola, Pennsylvania's “Lightning” Rod Salka (19-3, 3 KOs) is a skilled boxer who doesn't mind battling it out in the trenches if necessary, making his upcoming bout with Garcia one fight fans won't want to miss. A professional since 2007, the 31-year-old Salka just handed highly touted Alexei Collado his first loss on April 18, and he expects to shock the boxing world once more on August 9.

Washington, D.C.’s Lamont Peterson (32-2-1, 16 KOs) is a gifted boxer-puncher with much heart and talent. Like Garcia, the 30-year-old Peterson is another longtime champion. He has held a version of the 140-pound crown since 2011, defeating the likes of Amir Khan and Kendall Holt. Peterson is coming off an impressive 12-round unanimous decision win over previously unbeaten Dierry Jean in January.

Unbeaten in eight of his last nine bouts, including his last three straight fights, New York City’sEdgar “El Chamaco” Santana (29-4, 20 KOs) was long considered one of the city’s top prospects, and now the current NABA champion will get his long-awaited shot at a world championship. Owner of wins over Josesito Lopez, Grover Wiley and Luis Hernandez, the 35-year-old Santana always comes to fight, and he will be bringing it from rounds one through 12 onAugust 9.

Perhaps the most inspirational figure in boxing today, Brooklyn’s Daniel “Miracle Man” Jacobs(27-1, 24 KOs) seemed to be a lock for world title honors before cancer threatened his life and kept him out of the ring for 19 months. But when he returned, he picked up where he left off, securing five straight wins, all by knockout. On August 9, boxing’s most amazing comeback story could get a new chapter if Jacobs can win a world title at home.

Fighting out of Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia, 30-year-old Jarrod “Left Jab” Fletcher (18-1, 10 KOs) is a former star amateur who competed in the 2008 Beijing Olympics as the Australian team captain. Turning pro in 2009, Fletcher has won all but one of his 19 pro bouts. Currently on a six-fight winning streak, Fletcher is in the best form of his career as he approaches his first world title shot.

The event is promoted by Golden Boy Promotions and is sponsored by Corona and AT&T. Tickets priced at $250, $125, $75, $50 and $25, plus applicable taxes and service charges go on sale Friday, June 27 at noon ET and are available for purchase at www.barclayscenter.com, www.ticketmaster.com, all Ticketmaster locations, by calling 800-745-3000 and at the American Express Box Office. For group tickets, please call 800-GROUP-BK.

Follow Woods on Twitter. https://twitter.com/Woodsy1069

Skibbz says:

This is a disgraceful card in my opinion. What a step down in competition. Genuinely defies belief. Danny is taking someone he can beat with an arm behind his back after a disappointing and unimpressive last display against Herrera, who I believe did the job on him but got robbed. This will be a snooze fest. I won't be watching this, maybe I'll catch the highlights if there's a KO.

The guy's nickname is Left Jab? I don't think Jimmy Lennon Jr can save that one.

riverside says:

looks like Oscar rushed to put something together and show everyone that he is calling the shots. I hear you this card stinks!! Danny Vs Salka?. Salka was beaten by Canelo's brother? not good for Danny!

thegreyman says:

Yup, terrible opponent for Danny. It seems that if one of Haymon's fighters looks less than great in a fight, he gives them a few cadavers to look good on, while increasing their record a little bit. If this really is the #1 140lber's last fight in the division, he should be ashamed of himself. No fighting pride and no respect for the fans.

deepwater2 says:

Danny got whooped by Herrera at his phony homecoming so he needs an easy confidence builder. The guy with 3 knockouts is a dangerous opponent they will say. Pathetic for Garcia at this stage.
Santana is still fighting? What circuit did he go buy his last set of wins ?
Have to root for Jacobs even though it looks like a set up easy fight. Showtime will lose money and viewers on this one. I will DVR it just in case a fight happens but this is one of those nights to take the wife out.

For some reason when I first heard the announcement I thought Garcia and Peterson were fighting each other. But this event is extremely weak. The tickets better be sold at discount prices. Personally I'd rather watch the new prospects on Showbox.

oubobcat says:

A couple thing to comment about this card.

First, I would have no problem with this card if these guys were fighting five, six, seven times a year. Unfortunately, most world class fighters do not keep a busy schedule and instead we see them perform two to three times a year. So when they do fight the competition needs to be solid. Is the competition solid here? On paper, its hard to make that argument.

Second, I have a big time problem with the Jacobs-Fletcher fight being for the vacant WBA Middleweight Title. Does anyone know how many WBA Middleweight Champions there are at the moment? There are two currently (Golovkin is "Super Champion" and Dmitry Chudinov is the "Interim" Champion). The winner of this fight becomes the third WBA Middleweight Champion. Come on, this is getting out of control now to have one sanctioning body have three champions in one division.

To the fights themselves...Salka is not a bad club fighter and has exposed weaknesses in prospects in the past. He beat Canelo's brother and was absolutely hosed on that decision. Salka followed that up with a win against a previously undefeated Alexai Collado. Both opponents had glaring weaknesses pointed out by many prior to entering the ring with Salka and Salka was just skilled enough to take advantage of those weaknesses.

Does this earn the Lightweight Salka a shot at the Junior Welterweight Champion Danny Garcia? Absolutely not. This could be a very bad fight too as Salka moves (I mean moves) constantly and Garcia will be chasing. Salka will sit down in spots to throw and get back on the bike. We could see more of a track meet here than actual fight.

Edgar Santana might be the best opponent on this card. But what has he done to earn a shot against Lamont Peterson? Since beating Josesito Lopez in 2008, Santana has fought off the radar against very limited opposition. He even has a lost to journeyman Manuel Perez in 2012.

Jarrod Fletcher was starched by Billy Joe Saunders in two rounds a couple years ago. On paper, it does not look like much a challenge for Danny Jacobs and as far as a title fight goes, well see my rant above.

I guess in this sport you never know. I was shocked last week when Kamegai gave Guerrero such a tough fight. But at least there I knew Kamagai would be tough and aggressive and try to make the fight. Here, I don't know if that can be said about any of the opponents on this card. I admit though I will tune in regardless of my feelings and cross my fingers that I will be pleasantly surprised.

By the way, here is how the card should have looked:

Main Event - Danny Garcia vs. Lamont Peterson
Co-Feature - Shawn Porter vs. Kell Brook
Middleweight Attraction (no belt on the line) - Danny Jacobs vs. Jarrod Fletcher
Sho Extreme Featured bout - Rod Salka vs Edgar Santana

This would have been a fantastic card and one that would have been very realistic to pull off for August 9th.

deepwater2 says:

The Garcia fight is an insult to boxing fans . Why couldn't Philly fighter Hank Lundy get the call? That would be exciting at least.
M. Herrera ruined Garcia's "make believe homecoming" and he needs a confidence builder but this fight is a bad joke. Rod Salka is not in top 10 Jr Welters, or the top 20, or the top 30,or the top 40,or the top 50,or the top 60, or the top 70. He is ranked # 77 in the world.

What is big mouth Angel Garcia going to say about this fight? I bet for the first time ever Angel Garcia will be quiet and try and hope that no one notices this fight until after Danny gets a KO then Angel will call out the big names and say he doesn't pick the opponents and Danny did what he had to do.

Maybe by the grace of God Danny rolls an ankle and loses the title being unable to continue..

This card is terribly weak. However I am a huge Jacobs supporter, he should be taking out kid Chocolate

at this point though.

Hayman is becoming garbage.

Skibbz says:

Hahaha Angel Garcia stuck for words will be a sight to see. He's going to have to put his hands up and admit to the lack of quality in Danny's opponent. The entire card looks de facto fixed. It's so poor, I mean there are a load of guys who could have fought for those belt(s). Danny wants to take it a bit easier now after he's been gifted a few decisions? This isn't a sport for softies..

@Amayseng Hayman is garbage, we only have him to thank for the quality of fights we're getting. Also why do people subscribe to Showtime if so much of what they do is PPV anyway? All the big fights are PPV's, with the lowest quality bills put up for the subs..

The Commish says:

Average card at best. Maybe I'll be the only reporter at ringside!

The problem with a Peter Quillin-Danny Jacobs fight is that they are friends. Very good friends! Sure, I know friends can fight. Doesn't make for all-out action, however.

ho-hum. Maybe if fans stay away,Haymon/Showtime will get the message.

-Randy G.