Guerrero Should Not Have Rust Issue Vs. Kamegai

BY Michael Woods ON June 20, 2014

Robert-Guerrero

Robert Guerrero has taken some time away from the ring, for various reasons, among them a promotional beef, and he is coming back against a foe unknown to most all here in the US. The Ghost will take on Japanese vet Yoshishiro Kamegai at Stub Hub Center in Carson, CA in a bout which will run on Showtime Saturday night.

Hall of Fame analysts Al Bernstein offered his take on what we should be on the lookout for when the welterweight Californian, last seen losing to Floyd Mayweather on May 4, 2013,  and the 24-1-1 underdog from overseas clash.

Bernstein calls Kamegi "very tough," and says the 31-2-1 (18 KOs) The Ghost, an ex champ at junior lightweight and featherweight, has been off for 13 months. This is his third fight at 147, and I expect him to not get too stressed in getting the W. Kamegai says the Japanese boxer is a skillful technician, who sometimes suffers concentration lapses.

His record tells us he has power, but the caliber of foes he's face pale tremendously compared to Guerrero; his best win is up for debate. Both are 31 years old.

I expect the left-hand stance to bother Kamegai, for him to get touched with straight lefts from a man whose strength and ruggedness and seasoning will set him apart after a couple rounds. Guerrero's intensity as a hitter, his desire to close the show, will be glaring, I do believe.

Readers, talk to me. Is there any way Guerrero looks past Kamegai, and we see a shocker upset?

oubobcat says:

I do not see this as a competitive fight as well.

Kamegai is tough but limited. He is frankly a very crude fighter who will try but is just in way over his head. Despite what his record shows, I don't think he is that big a puncher either as most of those knockouts came against bad opposition to say the least.

Johan Perez out boxed and out classed Kamegai last year. He also avoided most of Kamegai's punches (Perez is not a defensive wizard by any means) and when Kamegai did land it did not faze Perez one bit. Guerrero is a much better fighter than Perez.

The question to me is whether or not Guerrero can get Kamegai out of there or if this will be a lopsided decision. That will be up to Guerrero. If Guerrero decides to put his foot on the gas and let his hands go a little more, he gets the stoppage. But if he is content to take what is given and lay back in a methodical fashion, will end up going to the cards.

deepwater2 says:

Man that was a close fight. Was it ring rust for Robert? His legs looked very old because he didn't move side to side at all. If that was Thurman in there against him I see Thurman getting a knock out.
Supposedly Broner might fight RG next. Before this fight I would pick RG , after this fight and the lack of movement I might have to pick Broner. Lets see what the shadow Al Haymon does with Robert but if its Thurman or Broner up next I see RG getting a loss. Probably a TKO because Thurman and Broner have more bombs to land then Kamegai.

thegreyman says:

Do you think his 'Crossfit' training had anything to do with that?

They had him doing lots of weight lifting, not sure how that will have affected suppleness and mobility.

deepwater2 says:

Do you think his 'Crossfit' training had anything to do with that?

It might. I was thinking the same thing. I saw him in some videos doing the cross-fit and it did not look like it was helping him at all. He looked like he was doing it in poor form and he was dead tired. I tried a cross-fit workout called the Murph. No weights. Run 1 mile, then do 100 pull-ups,200 push-ups,300 squats finish it off with a 1 mile run. My body would look great if I kept to this workout but I don't think it does too much to help boxing. I really don't. I felt tired and sore for 5 days and I could barley punch the bags.

Editor Mike says:

Day-um. That's a HEAVY DUTY workout. You best have some supple tendons and such for that work load, man!

Ha..... looking at Deeps regimine almost made me barf just reading it. How about half of that over an eight hour period.

Do you think his 'Crossfit' training had anything to do with that?

That will be a 100 percent YES on his agility and mobility. It was so obvious. Dude's legs were shot from the jump. He had absolutely no boxing bounces. He had no zest in his shots. And his movements were boxing laxidasical. Somewhat like the hesitant movements of contest-posing bodybuilders.

The "Ghost Dad" Ruben G is an idiot for letting his son do that New Jack heavy weight-lifting garbage.

I have no doubt that the heavy weight lifting did it. Weight lifters can tell you better than I. But they have to drinks excessive about of water and liquids. Plus heavy weight lifting cesspools a lot of liquids in one's kidneys. Plus no boxer wants to be water heavy and have to cut that excess weight close to fight time. Holla!

Wow! That was a bit too much for one session. You should have done more like one mile, then 15 pull-ups, 25 push-ups, 25 squats and finish it off with couple of 50-meter sprints and a couple of 10 meter duck runs. Now that is boxing "crossfit." Holla!

deepwater2 says:

It is a heavy work load but its breaks down something like this.
1 mile 8-10 minutes
Pull-ups do 10 then rest 20 seconds, 8 then rest, 6 then rest. 6 sets of 4. 10 sets of 3. 10 sets of 2 . 1 set of 1 .
Push-ups do 25 then rest. do 20 then rest. do 15 then rest. 4 sets of 10.
Squats do 20 then rest, 10 sets of 15 . 10 sets of 10 . 6 sets of 5
Then 1 mile 12-15 min
Then lay on the floor 30 min

Latest Articles

reportfromgolovkingealepresseratmadisonsquaregarden
robertogarciabreidisprescotttopsfnf
arumgoesallinonalgieri
canbryantjenningshelpamericanheavyweightsturnthetide
checkoutthisgettoknowyavideoonsergeykovalev
perezandjenningsinnystateofmind
commissionerscorneronjudgingmisstepsalgierisdeepcutmore
kovalev2daysonhbosaturday
provodnikovriosintheworks
releasethegolovkintripleginnyc

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?