Joe DeGuardia Has Started Initial Talks To Make Algieri-Pacquiao

BY Michael Woods ON June 17, 2014

Joe DeGuardia-woods

Hey Joe DeGuardia how does it feel to promote the most buzzed-about boxer on the planet, Chris Algieri?

"It feels spectacular," the New York based promoter told me on Tuesday late afternoon. "The interest, the accolades, I'm reading all the comments, they love him.

"It's a pleasure, he deserves it all. He's been doing nonstop interviews, the radio station 1010 WINS had him on in drive time this morning, Fox Business is having him tomorrow, downtown."

DeGuardia, no fool, is striking while his iron is glowing, and told me he was on the phone with Top Rank boss Bob Arum Monday, and will get on the horn with him later in the week as well. DeGuardia called their chat "initial talks," and lauded Arum as "the premier promoter in the world." The vet dealmaker surely knows what he sees in Algieri, DeGuardia said, that his outside the ring resume, articulateness, looks and in-ring chops could prove to be a transcendent package, a most alluring B side to Pacman. And one PR folks wouldn't be afraid to book onto a Tonight Show, or The View, or what have you...

DeGuardia pointed out that as it played out Saturday, it was his kid who emerged as the "Rocky" character, making it to the final bell with one good eye after hitting the deck twice in the first round.

He said he's getting calls for Algieri to maybe fight the best and brightest in and around 140 pounds, so it sounds like he's in a sweet spot even if Marquez suddenly does the Algieri drop, and reduces his ask to $15 million for another Manny scrap. DeGuardia did sound open to taken this kid to Macau, though, if the price is right. "But I'd like that to be in New York, it would sell out either of the arenas here..or it would be great in Vegas.. but obviously finance dictate and I'm a realist. The key is to negatotiate something to get them in the ring."

thegreyman says:

Too right he'd better do it quickly. I can't see many fight fans finding Algieri's style the most entertaining in the world. In fact I find him a pretty boring fighter to watch- I don't think I've really enjoyed any of his fights.

It wont be long before his name drops off the radar again, what with the number of big name fights coming up in the near future.

If DeGuardia is going to make this one happen, he'd better make it snappy, because there's a whole bunch of welterweights people would rather see in the ring with Manny than Algieri.

deepwater2 says:

Algieri should be called the golden goose. His story of masters degree ,well spoken , middle class upbringing is opening more doors then his boxing ever could. After fox business news , the view,tmz keeping up with the kardashians ,the bachelor ,dancing with the stars ,etc etc are soon to follow. Forget medical school. Just the idea of going to medical school will put him on the reality show circuit path to riches that is so popular these days. If victor Ortiz can jump into TV land then so will this kid. Maybe a part in a marky mark movie?
I don't think Ruslan would be able to do what this kid is about to do outside of boxing. The close decision between the two makes more sense now.

oubobcat says:

The problem for Pacquaio and Arum at the moment is that there simply aren't many available candidates.

The Golden Boy shake up still needs to play itself out. This could take awhile and only then will we know what fighters realistically from Golden Boy will be able to square off against Top Rank fighters.

There is Marquez though indications are at the moment this will not be easy to make. Arum will try, try and try some more though.

I think Mikey Garcia is in play. I seem to be in the minority here with the lack of options he has to be getting some consideration at the moment.

And then there is Algieiri. If Marquez doesn't want it and it turns out to be too soon for Mikey Garcia, then Algieiri seems to be the only other option.

Skibbz says:

I would love to see Algieri take on some more 140'ers. I think the most attractive fight for Algieri would be fighting the Nebraskan hero Terence Crawford. Oh that would be a beautiful affair.

I think Algieri needs to pay a visit to Dan Birmingham. I see Dan being able to teach Algieri how to be a boxer instead of looking like one. He may even be able to show Algieri how to skin the hide of his opponent and become a fit of a boxer turned boxer puncher. Algieri certainly possesses an easy on the eye style and he can take it far, but he must improve his boxing skill. Provodnikov had oppurtunities that a better boxer would have taken.

Algieri is a sucker for the right when he shuffles to the left, his left hand is low and his shuffling pace and feet are just asking for a right hook. You could even feint the right, move him to the left and smack him with a left hook he doesn't expect. I hope he moves around the US and spars the best opponents he can because sooner or later his lack of experience will catch him out.

The Commish says:

First of all, congratulations to Star Boxing's Joe DeGuardia for the incredible night he enjoyed as a boxing promoter. One of his guys retained a world title, another of his guys was victorious in his challenge for one.

Demetrius Andrade never looked better in retaining his WBO Light Middleweight Title while Chris Algieri pulled off the "Upset of the Year" in his win over Ruslan Provodnikov.

DeGuardia joins me & Gerry Cooney on this week's "Friday Night at the Fights." Hope some of you can tune in. We are on from 6-8pm (ET) on SiriusXM channel 92.

-Randy G.

The Commish says:

-Randy G.

oubobcat says:

-Randy G.

Kind of getting lost in the shuffle in the wake of the Provodnikov-Algieiri fight is the performance of Demetrius Andrade. Andrade did what he had to do against Brian Rose and showcased his skills in that fight. And he closed the show in proper fashion. He has a very bright future in this sport.

A fight I suggested afterward that I think would be very interesting for Andrade would be James Kirkland. Its a contrast of styles to say the least. Its a test for Andrade and one he would need to pass if he wants to be in that upper echelon of fighters that many of us think he has the potential to be.

Look at the 154 division for a second. There are a lot of good young fighters. The Charlo twins, Julian Williams, Willie Nelson, Hugo Centeno Jr., Dononique Dolton, and others to go along with some of the big names in or lurking around the division. This is going to be a division in the next year or so that produces some very compelling fights.

The Commish says:

I'm impressed you know about Dominique Dolton, Bobcat. This guy looks to be a 154-pound Adrien Broner, minus the sleeze factor. I had the chance to call one of his fights in November 2012, but then he went on a hiatus in 2013, as I believe he was having promotional issues. I really hope he breaks into the bigtime.

Yes, Andrade v James Kirkland would be fun. Kirkland is perhaps boxing's most exciting fighter to watch. It's fun to imagine the pressure he'd put on Andrade and how much leather he'd eat as he came in behind those two A-bombs he calls fists.

Demetrius Andrade finally arrived on the bigtime scene last Saturday night. I am sure Joe DeGuardia, along with his future Hall-of-Fame matchmaker Ron Katz, will put him in some very compelling matches.

-Randy G.

oubobcat says:

-Randy G.

I like Dolton a lot and think he is really flying under the radar at 154. He has exceptional hand speed and is very athletically gifted. He is technically very sound as well and improving every time I see him.

Hopefully his management issues are a thing of the past now and Dolton starts to become more active again.

He had a fight with Centeno scheduled earlier this month but had to pull out because of an injury. It would have been a good fight and a fight I think Dolton would have prevailed.

Dolton is definitely talented and a prospect to keep a very close eye on.

thegreyman says:

I agree completely Skibbz. Algieri only ever seems to move in one direction- towards the right hook. I think he does it to favour the long jab of his. But he's undisciplined in bringing it back, and a good right hooker could floor him if they time him correctly. Provodnikov was mostly looking for the left on Saturday. He might have had more success if he'd manage to jab in range and throw the right.

thegreyman says:

Maybe not in Arum's stable yes, but there's a ton of great welterweights around. I'm sure they could be enticed by a fight with Pacquiao (maybe I hope more than I'm sure actually...)

The idea of either Mikey Garcia, Algieri or Marquez doesn't excite me. Garcia would be the most exciting of those three I think.

Danny Garcia, Keith Thurman, Marcos Maidana (if he doesn't get the Money May treatment), even Shawn Porter if he's game for fighting a third time this year, provided he beats Brook (which I don't believe he will, but a lot of you guys do I know).

Froggy says:

Pacquaio is a PPV fighter, who would pay to see the fight ? Nobody !

mortcola says:

"With the majority concensus of the boxing press seeing Ruslan as being robbed, and much of the public divided I think the Pacquiao Provodnikov bout it still an option. Algieri will be biting off more than he can chew taking great leaps in the level of opposition that he simply isn't ready for.

Hey Skibbs - W/O re-hashing the disagreement re the scoring or the consensus something you might find relevant - first, about the “sucker” for the right hook, etc, I can tell you from personal experience as well as having a trainer who a VERY fast and gifted pro (same backstory as Chris, MMA background, fewer than 10 fights before winning the Golden Gloves) who is a regular, some would say main, sparring partner for him, and my observations of him in training, Chris has world-class level anticipation, and IQ to learn from just a little experience during the fight, like a chess player, what moves to expect ahead - I know this is gym stuff, but he is extraordinarily hard to hit cleanly, or twice by the same punch. What makes it meaningful is that it was that very ability that allowed him to quickly adapt to Provo and make it through the fight as well as he did. The defense has a great deal of subtlety, natural gifts combined with a the ability to follow a very steep learning curve. Second, which I learned from my trainer, his sparring partner and close friend, is that a large part of his preparation actually a turning point in his training, was months spent at Garcia’s gym out west, sparring with Brandon Rios and the tough nuts out there. What you’re seeing, and what we don’t know is the actual potential, is a guy who is literally learning and growing on the job - he is one of the few guys who does more than add a percent or two of ability in the gym (was it you who said that?) - he is a far more polished fighter, even on the level of fundamentals like not leaning forward,weight distributed too much to the front, serving up his chin to the counter, that were weaknesses practically yesterday. One scenario is that he had his peak moment surviving and upping his ability to its theoretical max in going the next 11 1/2 rounds with an arguably dominant boxing performance, and that you’re not going to see anything better - that was the peak moment. Another is that you see him live out his amateur career AS champion and improve on the same curve as in the last two years, in which he implemented his learning far faster than a normal boxing student, kind of a savant w/o the idiot. Next is that, as his detractors say, the first time he is pressed by a more polished and busy contender, he will collapse - well, I’ve seen it before, lots of times. but I am telling you, from seeing him up close and in the arena, over a short period, he is both gifted in an unusual way and LOVES what he does. We will get a chance to discuss things in the next few years, I’m sure.

Latest Articles