After Cotto, How About Sergio-Pacquiao...Or Sergio-Mayweather?

BY Michael Woods ON May 22, 2014

Sergio Martinez
Sergio Martinez has been sending signals that he very well could be that guy who is 100%, who isn't coming into his June 7 MSG scrap against Miguel Cotto nursing an injury or two.

F'rinstance, as pointed out by Nathan Lewkowicz of Team Martinez, Sergio has done one open workout, in camp in Miami, and will also work out in public on fight week. Sergio, the 39-year-old who took up boxing at 20, will show off his mobility, which is supposedly better now than it has been in some time, following multiple knee surgeries, at a sporting goods store in Manhattan.

The last time Sergio put on public displays of healthfullness was for the Matthew Macklin fight, in March 2012. He fought Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, and then Martin Murray after that.

Lewkowicz said that camp has been stellar, and not just because Martinez' limbs are cooperating with him. He's holed up in a hotel in Miami, and isn't in a rented house with trainer Pablo Sarmiento, and Pablo's galpal, as was the case in a prior camp. "It's no nonsense...and no roommates," Nathan told me. "He's away from everyone, there are no headaches. It's the calmest camp he's ever had."

Training in Cali, in Oxnard, was not that...

Nathan and I touched on the Miguel Cotto conference call, and I mentioned that Freddie Roach played on a theme that Martinez is bringing up injuries, readying an excuse for when he loses. I noted to Nathan that it's us, the media, who has more so been asking about injuries, so I'm not sure I'm on board with Roach's theory. "Exactly," Nathan said, "the media brings it up. Sergio doesn't really bring up injuries at all."

Nobody but nobody is looking past Cotto, but being that Martinez is 39, it's only prudent to at least ponder what comes next if and when he beats Cotto. What about it, then? What would Sergio do following a Cotto win?

"He has one more fight on his HBO contract, and there are a lot of options," Nathan said. "Pacquiao out of nowhere was mentioned by Top Rank. As far as an agreeable weight, who knows. We'd have to see what the offer was, and then see if that's doable, try to find a way to get to the weight. I mean, people kill to get a chance to fight Manny."

Also, Golovkin...HBO would love to make it, and if it makes economic sense...

"Plus, he'd love to fight in Argentina again, he loves fighting there. I mean, he can't fight Peter Quillin, because of the politics, so there aren't that many middleweight options."

I asked if, when his HBO contract is up, Sergio would consider jumping ship. Knowing that loyalty is huge to him, I asked Nathan if the longtime HBO relationship would factor in. "He's extremely loyal to HBO," he said. "He likes the team, he likes Peter Nelson, Ken Hershman, all the people that work there. That's a huge consideration."

And what about Mayweather? He'll need a dance partner for his second 2015 bout...how bout Martinez? "I don't think Mayweather would be part of the discussion," Nathan said. "Because Sergio would have a chance to beat him, and his foes are carefully chosen to lose to Mayweather. The odds would be like two or three to one...and Floyd likes eight or ten to one. He knows he'll sell a lot of tickets, his money is guaranteed...why screw that up?"

Follow Woods on Twitter https://twitter.com/Woodsy1069

As much as I like Sergio, I think after he KNOCKS out Cotto he should either fight GGG or Pac.

GGG would retire him, and a Pac fight would provide tremendous interest and revenue.

Even if Pac weighed in at 150 and fought for the legit MW title at 160.

Now that would be courageous. Pac might just have the foot and hand speed to out point SM. Maybe.

deepwater2 says:

If Sergio fought these two it would have to be at 154, 160 is too much to ask.
The guy that said Floyd wouldn't take the fight is right, too much risk.
Sergio fights relying on reflexes just like Roy Jones did. After his last two fights and numerous injuries I can see Sergio's timing being off . If Cotto boxes smart and stays outside when he has to, and closes the gap when he has to then I see Cotto winning.

No! M-Co is going to whup Ser-Mart's arse, and bust his ribs and mug instead of those shaky, bad knees. Holla!

RG you think Sergio is old or still not 100% healthy? or both?

I expect some ring rust and Sergio taking to the 4th stanza to get going. Cotto may win the first 2-3 rounds then after Sergio starts sitting down (realizing fighting off his back foot is not gonna be the answer) I expect him to pound out Cotto and his poor defense, just like Floyd did with hooks and uppercuts.

I just don't believe that Ser-Mart matches up stylistically well with M-Co. M-Co is a natural left hander, as is Ser-Mart. And Ser-Mart is jiggery as heck compared to the smoother, more calm M-Co.

M-Co will hurt him to the body with hooks and uppercuts, and then switch to southpaw and rock and sock him with left crosses and straights. He is also going to beat Ser-Mart to the punch and counter jab and stab him at will.

Ser-Mart's jiggery, hands-down style will be no match for M-Co's sneak-and-stealth switching; nor shift punching. I'm riding with M-Co by late round K-O. Holla!

oubobcat says:

I think right now plan A, B, and C for Pac next is Marquez. Arum is going to do all in his power and then some to make that fight happen. Martinez will not be in the discussion at this time if he beats Cotto.

As for Mayweather, Martinez is loyal to HBO. We can safely cross that fight off the list.

If Martinez wins, I see HBO pushing for an eventual Golovkin fight. Also, if the Cotto fight is close and compelling a rematch there would not be out of the question. But I think HBO wants to start putting Golovkin in bigger fights and would love to start that with him fighting for the Lineal Middleweight Championship against Martinez.

The_King_AJ says:

Will he fight Pacquiao? Imagine Pacquiao getting the middleweight title against Martinez? The fight would probably be at 156lbs, but Martinez could make that fairly easily.

Enough with the catch weights. I am a huge fan of both fighters but if you want a mw title then fight at the mw weight for the legit title. With SM being 40 at that time there is no reason for Pac not to go for the legit title at that weight. he could come in around 150 and with his foot speed may be able to out point sm at that stage.

Skibbz says:

If Sergio fought these two it would have to be at 154, 160 is too much to ask.
The guy that said Floyd wouldn't take the fight is right, too much risk.

The thing is Cotto is damaged goods too. Martinez has knee issues which could stop him from being on his bike all night long but that could work to his favour if you ask me. He will be more inclined to bang the smaller guy (although Cotto probably carries the more power) and he will probably catch him cleaner thanks to his better technique and athleticism.

I just see Cotto trying to take Martinez into the kitchen mid fight to see how the older man takes the heat... but he's going to get clipped by a Martinez left hook that he never saw coming.. I got Martinez mid fight KO.

thegreyman says:

Can't see either of them moving up to 154/160 this late in their respective careers. Not for Martinez anyway.

The Good Doctor says:

Oubobcat, I agree with you on the part where it is almost impossible to get a Mayweather/Martinez fight. Too much risk, not enough gain for Floyd and I could see Floyd making Martinez come to a catchweight which diminishes the fight as well. I think Martinez wins over my dude Cotto and then takes another fight with Chavez Jr. He can get big bucks for beating the brakes off a guy again. In addition, I think Martinez deserves to be on the clear A-side of a big fight. I think he would be against Jr.

King Beef says:

"Enough with the catch weights"..Agreed!!!! But Serg is gonna have to look pretty damn bad for Roach and Co. to let Pac in there with him at a full 160; besides I think Cotto beats SM in June.

oubobcat says:

I think Chavez though is going to steer away from risky fights at the moment. I think Haymon is in his ear and whispering that there is big money to be made on much easier fights for him if he signs with him when his Top Rank contract ends. Chavez and his people are going to finish out their Top Rank contract soft and then explore other routes once that contract expires.

I don't think Chavez Jr ever fights at 160 again so thats out for Sergio if he beats Cotto. The two biggest names in boxing, Floyd and Manny should step up and take a crack at history and try for the Middleweight Championship. I mean Sergio is not that big for a middleweight and he is pushing 40. I doubt Floyd or Manny would go after history (and a big PPV money fight) but they should. Sergio is the best option for both men. GGG is too big and strong.

Latest Articles