Mayweathers' Foe and Site For Sept. 13 Still TBD

BY Michael Woods ON May 20, 2014

floyd

And so it begins...Well, it actually began on the early morning of May 4, at the MGM Grand, in the media room, not long after that exiting snafu led to people getting trampled.

What's next for Floyd?

Who's next?

Maidana rematch?

Khan?

Floyd is The Man, the lead dog in the game, and he corrals a certain quantity of news coverage. Sometimes its with TMZ sort of stories...sometimes it's with more legit, less salacious material, such as who he's going to fight next.

Right now, we have some non-TMZ type news to digest, namely that Floyd's next fight will occur on Sept. 13.

Showtime boxing boss Stephen Espinoza told TSS that "Money," who some thought looked like he'd slipped a half notch against the wild-swinging banger Maidana, will box Sept. 13 against foe TBD.

TBD, huh.

So, it looks like we're going to go into theorizing mode for the next, oh, three plus months. I won't pretend to be pleased with that, friends. Why, you might wonder...Well, that's because I don't know that focusing excessively on such a matter is in the best interest of the sport as a whole. Me writing this piece, and marshaling my energy and time, means that another story falls through the cracks, another deserved pugilist might not get a bit of ink that he or she deserves. If we go so star centric, and go all in on Floyd all the time, with a soupcon (that's my Jon Stewart reference did ya get it? lol) of Pacquiao, then we are too much indulging in hit craving. We are too much giving in to a give the people what they want, even if it's a diet of Big Macs and Diet Cokes...when the people are best served, know it or not, with a heavier input of fruits and veggies.

Anyway, here's your two patties, special sauce, etc....Espinoza told me that only the date has been cemented, which means we will all perseverate on opponent choice in excess for the next couple months.

Me, I like the idea of Maidana; I believe the man earned the right to a rematch. How about Espinoza? "We're in the very preliminary stages of discussion," he said. "Is Maidana in the lead? I wouldn't say from Floyd's perspective. Personally, I think a rematch with Maidana would be very interesting, considering how entertaining and competitive the first fight was. But Floyd likes to do the unexpected."

We can scratch the Pakistani-Brit Amir Khan off the list for the Sept. 13 waltz. "Khan has been very consistent that he doesn't want to interfere with Ramadan," Espinoza said. "We've discussed all the top guys at 147, you look at a top ten list and there isn't a name that hasn't been discussed."

I threw my own "unexpected" TBD at Espinoza. I think if Floyd were to fight WBO middleweight champion Peter Quillin, a charismatic and not untalented hitter, that would be perceived as a compelling scrap, and Floyd would still be favored. "It would be entertaining," allowed Espinoza.

The site, Espinoza said, hasn't been chosen, though of course the MGM is Floyd's homebase now. "He's very comfortable there, he has a special relationship with them, I'd say they are always in the lead...but there's no shortage of suitors."

As for my theory that talking about Floyd's next for ten months out of the year sucks some of the oxygen suited for other talents out of the room, Espinoza said the concept isn't idiotic in the least. But, he said, he thinks Mayweather has brought a megawatt spotlight to the whole sport, and by virtue of that, he's lifted all the boats. "The way Floyd has elevated the entire platform, everyone's benefitted," he said.

There was some breaking news on Tuesday, namely that Manny Pacquiao chose to re-sign with Top Rank, and Bob Arum, a person Mayweather has intermittently shown disdain for. I asked Espinoza for his take on the development. A contract extension was not a slam dunk, perhaps, in the eyes of some who thought Manny might follow the advice of some in his circle, and ask Arum for some time away, so the Manny-Money fight could more easily be made, without a baggage issue. (Arum promoted Mayweather, and they parted in bitter fashion almost ten years ago.) "That re-signing doesn't impact me, but if Pacquiao thought it was the best business decision, I applaud him," the boxing boss said.

But should fans hoping for that fight cry an extra measure of tears into their beer tonight, because the hopes for that mega-match got flushed? "I don't know what the future holds," Espinoza said. "I know Floyd consistently has wanted a Pacquiao fight, and has tried to make it, and a variety of obstacles have come up along the way. He hasn't been shy at times about his feelings for Top Rank, so yes, that could be an obstacle, unless a reconciliation is achieved."

Follow Woods on Twitter @Woodsy1069

It has to be Maidana if its not Paquioa... And its not going to be Paquioa......no need to even put it to a vote. Get Maidana and set the naysayers straight and put the doubtful back upon the right path.

oubobcat says:

Maidana seems to be the logical choice. But that said, would not classify him as a lock yet.

I see Quillin mentioned in the article. He could be a real wildcard here. Floyd The promotion could focus around Floyd going for another belt in another weight class against an undefeated fighter.

However, I think Quillin is angling to get Canelo down the line and may see that fight as more winnable than Floyd. Still, money talks and he could easily change course.

Danny Garcia is a wildcard as well. He has not shown a ton on interest in a near term Mayweather bout. But do any of us really know what's going on behind the scenes. Could he be feigning interest publicly to drive the price up higher? I don't think so but not out of the question.

Some have suggested Shawn Porter. I don't think that is likely. Mayweather just fought an aggressive brawler and I don't think he wants to face another one not named Maidana next. Plus Porter is younger and a bigger Welterweight (has fought as high as Middleweight and fought most of his career until recently at Junior Middleweight) than Miadana. Porter may get some consideration some day but not for September.

I think the real wildcard is Keith Thurman. He is young, undefeated and has a high KO mark. He is very charismatic as well which would help drive the PPV sales. He is not the all out pressure fighter or Maidana or Porter and Floyd may prefer to face that type of style instead of the aggressive pressure fighter. The Maidana rematch will always be in his back pocket if he goes a different route in September.

If Mayweather say wants to face a different style fighter than Maidana or negotiations for a Maidana fight hit a snag, I think Thurman will be guy.

Skibbz says:

Maidana would be good to see in there but it could be better. I'd fancy Thurman taking it to Floyd, it'd be entertaining and we may even see Floyd's first loss.

Porter has Brook coming up so that's not really possible. Khan has Ramadan so he's not an option either. DSG has no chance and I have no idea how they'll spin that one but I guess i'm not in the promoting biz..

Maidana Thurman would be the fight I want to see.. Unless Floyd fights a Pacquiao or a Thurman it doesn't really interest me because I don't see anyone even coming close to beating him.

gibola says:

In order of preference my choices for PBF's next opponent would be - Pacquaio, Thurman, Khan, Garcia, then Maidana. Pacman isn't going to happen so I'll move on. Thurman can box and punch and seems genuinely fearless so he'd be my next choice. I maintain Khan is one guy with a shot of outboxing PBF and winning 7 rounds (I accept he could also get ko'd). Garcia is unbeaten and seems to find a way to win so he deserves a shot. I think he's too slow for PBF but he's earned the right to fight. I thought Maidana would get outclassed by PBF so his performance was good, but PBF underperformed and I think he'd win easier second time - unless he's in decline.
What's intriguing for me is that I think Thurman, Khan and Garcia would beat Maidana. If PBF is slipping just a bit based on his last showing, perhaps a Thurman or a Khan could give him a real fight. Maidana is a powerful, aggressive, crude, slow guy (despite Robert Garcia sorting out a few rough edges). I was amazed PBF struggled so much to tame him and I do wander if it's a sign of time and decline. It was a close fight. He's one of the greats, but nobody goes on forever and if PBF keeps fighting he will lose someday soon. It could be in September.

Hard to disagree with any of that.

stormcentre says:

There are guys in light middleweight that would, of course give Floyd a good run for anyone’s money, or at least make the fight entertaining.

For instance; Lara, 3G, Trout and the like. I’m not saying they would all win. But even in welterweight there's a few good scraps there for Money May. Thurman may put up some good resistance while it lasts and so would (might?) Kahn and Bradley.

That said it’s entirely Floyd’s prerogative whether he strays up to light middleweight, as for the most part he’s a welterweight and has cleaned house there.

I do think that Maidana performed better than I expected, but I won’t be surprised to see Floyd fight him again and do better this time.

Floyd can and will learn from what Marcos did that others usually don’t.

But, in my opinion, the problem for Floyd will be, if he’s to do it differently with observable success and ease - and they're almost the same ingredient for Floyd and subjectively scoring judges - it will require him to expend more energy fighting in close, rather than languishing on the ropes.

Also, it will also require Mayweather to control the ring a little more and not show so much respect to Maidana’s power.

Those small changes are just the types that seem surmountable but bring veteran boxers undone in the twilight of their career.

As, dare I say it, it means you're fighting the other guys’ fight, and Mayweather not only despises that - his success is largely built on him not doing it.

However, when it is all said and done, if Money May were to close out his career with a rematch - ah-la Castillo style - where he demonstrates his sportsmanship by providing a rematch and noticeably dominates the fight; it would probably seal his legacy and go a long way towards addressing many of the negative comments that are and may be said about him in the future.

Latest Articles