Roach Considers Pacquiao-Provodnikov

BY Michael Woods ON May 18, 2014

The Sweet Science

Juan Manuel Marquez was markedly non-committal when asked early Sunday morning by HBO's Max Kellerman if he will next glove up against Manny Pacquiao,  either because he's a savvy negotiator or because he truly doesn't know what direction he wants to go toward following his May 17 win against Mike Alvarado in LA.

If Marquez decides to stick with the storyline he's floated before, that he wants to exit the Pacman rivalry carousel on a high note, off a Dec. 2012 KO win, who then is in the mix for Manny's next?

What about another guy trained by Freddie Roach, the Siberian Rocky, aka RuslanProvodnikov? Roach has been getting him ready for a June 14 scrap in Brooklyn, at Barclays Center, against Long Islander Chris Algieri.

The tutor said that Ruslan is already in great shape, and has been hurting sparring partners at the Wild Card. So what about it Freddie, might Ruslan get the nod to fight Pacman next if Marquez steers away from a fifth tangle?

"You never know," Roach said. "It's a lot of money. I won't blame him if he takes it, it'd set him up for the rest of his life. It could be possible. Never say never."

Woods on Twitter. @Woodsy1069

deepwater2 says:

What a great fight that would be. It could happen. Manny vs Juan will not fight again. JM will never do it. He will take those bragging rights to his grave. The Cold War will be over soon. Rejoice and imagine all the match ups.

The Good Doctor says:

I would be surprised if the powers to be at Top Rank lets this happen. This fight would risk putting a high degree of damage on their cash cow possibly ending his career or putting a dent in what could be one their next cash cows. If TR does this, I think secretly they would think it was Pac's last fight.

The Shadow says:

I think they might, Doc. Keep in mind, Provodnikov isn't a Top Rank fighter. They just got options/rights to him for one more fight, I believe it is.

So now is the time if they want to make money off Provodnikov also, while also negotiating in more rights to his future fights, should he beat Pacquiao. Arum is a shrewd, smart guy.

oubobcat says:

Pacquiao is Arum's main guy far and away at the moment. Provodnikov is a high risk low reward opponent. Even taking the Freddie Roach factor out of the equation, I don't see Arum looking to make this fight. He is a shrewd business man no doubt and no way he risks his main meal ticket against Provodnikov at the moment.

Marquez is option A, B and C right now for Arum. He will do all in his power to make that fight.

Provodnikov grew up eating raw meat and fish as a child.. He'd set aside his friendship and admiration for Pac in a heartbeat to better his financial position

Nothing personal of course.

PAC should be able to finess a victory if that fight takes place.

Of course the Insatiably Hungry Siberian Rocky can potentially land the game changer.

But I don't think Pac is ready to revisit the canvas any time soon. He'll box smoothly avoiding excessive confrontation enroute to a wide UD.

I'd rather see Provodnikov against Soto Karass, Guerrero, Thurman or Porter.

Damn you cold war.

The Shadow says:

Nothing personal of course.

PAC should be able to finess a victory if that fight takes place.

Of course the Insatiably Hungry Siberian Rocky can always potentially land the game changer.

I'd rather see Provodnikov against Soto Karass, Guerrero, Thurman or Porter.

Damn you cold war.

From the horse's mouth: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k3MP5E3uK-w

flackoguapo says:

I think Arum will do it because it almost guarantees a "fresh" rematch between PAC and TSR. Any big shot that hurts Pacquiao or if he loses to Ruslan, we get a rematch.
I want to see Ruslan vs Broner. Broner was able to survive against Maidana, I wonder how much war he has left in him. He showed to have some grit then changed my thinking when he tried to cry/fake his way out the fight. Ruslan fights at such an intense pace that It'd be the ultimate test for Broner as far as his offensive output and defense, IMHO.

thegreyman says:

A clash between such aggressive fighters, both with so much heart, would surely be a great show. However I do agree with Bsugar that Pac would showcase his slick skills and box his way to a UD.

I think a fighter like Provo, whose favourite food growing up was raw bear heart, will guarantee a great fight against most of the names in the light welter/welterweight divisions. Opposition like Porter or Soto Karass would be great to see against him, though I think Thurman may be one raw animal that Provo would struggle to digest. Not so sure on seeing him against Broner... I think that's a step in the wrong direction for Ruslan- he needs to be fighting the bigger names in the division, not the chumps.

For me, the fight I'd most like to see made for Provodnikov would be him against Maidana- pure fireworks- though we'll see how he fares against Algieri first- a tough, skilled boxer to boot, and nobody to be underestimated.

Skibbz says:

Some great comments on this thread, keep 'em coming!

I want to see this fight happen before the year is out should Provodnikov get past the New Yorker Algieri. (it won't be a cakewalk..)

I think having each other as an opponent would bring out the rawest fight in both fighters, something we all want to see and that could deliver to use the fight of the decade, or it certainly would be for me anyway.

I agree with the Grey Man too on Thurman. I like Thurman and I think he has the skill set and attribute to take it to Provodnikov. Attack meets Attack. His only problem would be getting chin checked by the russian who doesn't punch lightly. He's been wobbled in the past and it would be good to see how he handles a big whack from the Russian.

@Flacko Ruslan vs Broner?? Oh I think many boxing fans would pay to see that just to see Broner lose... The effects of bad public image at work!

Latest Articles