RINGSIDE REPORT Another Counter Right Wins WBC Title for Stiverne

BY David A. Avila ON May 10, 2014

Stiverne

LOS ANGELES - In a much better rematch, Bermane “B-Ware” Stiverne stopped Chris “The Nightmare” Arreola to win the WBC heavyweight world title in an exciting slugfest while it lasted on Saturday.

Stiverne (24-1-1, 21 Kos) out-fought a hungrier and better prepared Arreola (35-4, 31 Kos) but when it came to landing the big blow, he did that, bigtime, in front of more than 4,000 fans at the Galen Center in downtown Los Angeles.

“I was winning the fight. I was hurting him anytime I wanted to,” said Stiverne.

Arreola led the charge in first round. He followed up with four more before Stiverne landed two of his own including a good body shot. An overhand right by Stiverne staggered Arreola and served as a precursor. The Las Vegas heavyweight then talked to Arreola at end of the bell.

A big right hand by Arreola scored and gave the Riverside heavyweight the second round. Stiverne tried to battle back but seemed unhurt by Arreola’s punch. It was the first time in two fights that Arreola actually won a round against Stiverne.

The bombs flied in round three as Arreola landed half a dozen right hands. Stiverne stayed in the pocket and exchanged but Arreola got the better of it. He smiled toward the end to replicate what Stiverne did in the first round. Already this fight was much better than the first encounter.

Stiverne landed the best combination early in round four but Arreola stormed back in the second half. Stiverne seemed to figure out Arreola’s rhythm better in the round. He also used a stiff jab to keep Arreola from rushing in.

Arreola had a better round in the fifth but still Stiverne was able to land stiff jabs and blows to the body. When Stiverne stuck on the ropes Arreola was able to land his combos.

“I was winning the fight,” said Arreola, who like Stiverne was landing plenty of shots.

Stiverne was cruising along and moving along the ropes as Arreola looked for some more openings to land his combinations. Suddenly a counter right from Stiverne landed crisp and Arreola went down in sections. The Riverside heavyweight beat the count but looked wobbly. Another four-punch combination sent Arreola down again and through the ropes. He untangled himself but stumbled as he got up. Stiverne rushed in again and unloaded some combos that rocked Arreola. Though he didn’t go down he looked unable to protect himself as referee Jack Reiss wisely stopped the fight at 2:02 of the sixth round.

“He caught me the same way again. The same (crap) as last time. The exact same punch,” Arreola said, disappointedly.

Stiverne is the new WBC heavyweight champion and first from Haiti to win the heavyweight world title.

“He caught me,” said Stiverne about the exciting heavyweight fight. “I counter-punched him with the same punch as last time. It was exactly like we planned.”

Arreola was gracious in defeat.

“I tip my hat to him. He’s a world class champion,” Arreola said.

Two judges had Arreola ahead 48-47 at the end of five rounds. One judge had it 48-47 for Stiverne.

Next stop

Before the fight it was announced that the winner would meet Deontay Wilder. But Wladimir Klitschko said he is very interested in fighting the winner and a fight with him would bring a lot more money than Wilder. Expect Stiverne to fight Klitschko.

Don King, who promotes Stiverne, said he’s undecided about who the new champion will meet next, but that it will be very soon.

Other bouts

Floridian prospect Amir Imam (12-0, 10 Kos) remained undefeated by out-boxing Cuban veteran Yordenis Ugas (15-3, 7 Kos) over eight rounds in a junior welterweight bout. Imam was able to stun Ugas a few times over the fight but the Cuban fighter kept the pressure on and used many of his tricks including trying to trip and punch Imam at the same time. Imam won by scores 79-73 and 78-74 twice.

“Everything we worked on in the gym worked,” said Imam, who is promoted by Don King. “I want a world title fight as soon as possible.”

BJ Flores (29-1-1, 19 Kos) barely broke a sweat against Adam Collins (12-10, 8 Kos). A left hook body shot by Flores hurt Collins, then a classic one-two combination sent the Ohio cruiserweight to the floor. He was counted out at 1:58 of round one for a knockout.

Caleb “Sweet Hands” Plant (1-0) needed only one punch to knock out Travis Davidson (2-3) at 47 seconds of round one of a middleweight contest. It was Plant’s pro debut and hopefully didn’t spoil him into thinking all fights will be as easy. Davidson is a southpaw from Virginia and Plant fights out of Tennessee.

Razvan Cojanu (10-1, 5 Kos) stopped Rodricka Ray (5-7-1) at 2:51 of round five of a heavyweight contest. Cojanu, who fights out of Van Nuys, Calif. was much taller but was forced to deal with a lot of holding. He finally unraveled some blows to the body and ended the fight.

Mario Barrios (4-0) defeated Jaxel Marrero (1-3-1) by unanimous decision in a featherweight match.

El Dude says:

Bermane was swinging, stinging and took the fight away from Chris Arreola in the 6th round with an explosion of an assault. The bombs kept launching and the devastation kept landing. Chris seem to have had the fight under control with Bermane on the run but Be Ware of the Bermane guns. During the 6th both camps seemed to be restocking but Bermane was actually stalking. Bermane mid through the 6 launched his assault scoring 2 Knock-Downs followed with a nuclear KO assault that left Arreola to a crisp while the ref called it quits with a Tech.-KO.
By El Dude.

Ditto to El Dude.

Driving back to the SDC, that's how it happened. And y'all know me. I'm down with O-P-P!

Big props to the Haitian.

Eating crow is quite a sensation.

Yummy, YUMMY!

It hurts my tummy! Hehe! Holla!

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

I'm glad that you are eating your crow like a champ Radam G. I told you that Bermane was going to serve Chris. Be prepared to eat more crow because Gary Russell Jr is going to serve Lomachenko.

Carmine Cas says:

Damn that right hand came from left field, Cristobal had the fight under control. That's boxing for you.

oubobcat says:

This was a fun heavyweight fight. There was plenty of action and ebb and flow in this fight. Hopefully, this gets some buzz going about the heavyweight division again.

Arreola has been through a lot of wars, both in the ring and outside the ring. I think he entered the ring a bit shopworn and that showed in the fight. Yes he did have success early but did begin to fade midway through. He has never been knocked out like that before despite eating some big time punches in the past from the likes of Stiverne and Klitschko before.

I really, really hope Sitverne-Wilder happens. That will be another very good and intriguing heavyweight fight. Wilder would be taking a massive step up in competition and a lot of questions about how good a heavyweight he actually is will be answered. Its the kind of fight too where I can easily see both men touching the canvas at some point and the winner ultimately being the one who is able to fight through adversity more. I can't wait, lets get this one scheduled.

you are correct that somebody is hitting the canvas oubobcat,... my feeling is, if Wilder goes down first he won't be getting back up.

DaveB says:

It is funny but I thought Stiverne was in control of this fight throughout. Even when Aerrola was winning rounds he didn't seem like he ever hurt Stiverne but it seemed like Stiverne was always capable of hurting him. It seems that when Aerrola steps up he can't get over the hill. I don't see him progressing from this point toward any championship but in hw boxing even the impossible is possible. I do hate to see Don King back in the heavyweight picture. It is like going back in time. Bad times. I would have liked to see Wilder get his shot and then the winner fight Klitschko. At least that would make it more exciting than seeing Klitscko win, most likely, and then have Wilder challenge Klitschko. This will be the same script we have had for it seems the past 20 years. But either way the hw division has more excitement about it than it has in about a decade, save the David Haye fight which bombed. Stiverne is still an unknown quantity. The only one he has fought outside of Aerrola of note is Ray Austin. Could it be he just has the right style for Aerrola? He does have quick hands and devastating punching power so he will stand a chance with anyone and perhaps could be the real deal. But I really don't know any more about him than Wilder except he beat Aerrola and I don't know how good Aerrola is. Congrats on achieving your dream of becoming hw champion. That is no small achievement.

vjoe says:

Very entertaining fight. Stiverne reminds me of Michael Dokes with a lot more pop (old fart observation). Also, there's been a fair amount of disparaging of Arreola skills, but I thought this was one of his better performances. He may never be champ, but if he would approach all of his fights like he did this one, he could still have significant fights ahead. I too thought he was winning, but I never felt like he had things under control (and he didn't). Anyway, thanks ESPN and thanks to Stiverne and Arreola for showing up big time.

The Commish says:

It is interesting how some of you saw Arreola in control, while others saw Stiverne in control. I was of the feeling Stiverne was more in control than Arreola, but had to battle out of some troublesome moments before he fired that lightning right hand which caused the delayed-reaction first knockdown of Arreola.

Stiverne is a terrific finisher and did not allow Arreola any time to clear his head. Stiverne was all over Arreola from the moment he got up.

By the way, is there a heavyweight out there with faster hands than the new champion? I don't know of any.

Also, kudos to referee Jack Reiss. He did a terrific job.

There had been talk that Wladimir Klitschko and Bermane Stiverne would square off next for the unified title. I received a text from Deontay Wilder which read, "I am next, Randy. Trust me on that one." He was at ringside and had a hence `to speak with WBC Prexy Mauricio Sulaiman, who also had a chat with Wilder's advisor, Al Haymon. So, I now gotta believe that, in the Fall, the new heavyweight champion will make his first defense against Wilder.

It'll be the fastest heavyweight in the world against the hardest right-hand puncher in boxing.

Stiverne held up under Arreola's best shots. Wonder if he can do the same if it's a Wilder right which finds his chin instead of an Arreola right?

-Randy G.

oubobcat says:

I had Stiverne ahead 48-47 entering the fifth round and thought he was starting the come on in the fight. I generally see eye to eye with Teddy Atlas and think he does a great job calling fights. For this fight though. I think he was a little biased for whatever reason towards Arreola and his commentating reflected that when calling the fight on the air. I think that some who watched the fight may have been steered into thinking Arreola was doing better than he was due to the commentary provided.

Jack Reiss did a very good job in this fight. I initially thought that maybe he should have stopped the fight after the second knockdown. It was a tough call and with it being a championship fight certainly do understand why he gave Arreola one more opportunity.

A Stiverne-Wilder bout would be tremendous. It is the kind of fight needed and needed to be televised once again by ESPN to keep the heavyweight momentum going. Both can punch and both have suspect defense. Stiverne holds that left low and would be susceptible to Wilder's right. Wilder has a bad tendency of pulling straight back with his chin in the air. Somehow, I sense both would find a way to touch each others chins and both may end up touching the canvas. It would be a lot of fun from a fan's perspective and the type of fight that would get a lot of buzz going before and afterwards.

Don't get ¢op¥, SRD. I might just be back in the "City of the Angeles" to see L-Vo go demonic on your boy G-Russ Jr. Hehehe! Holla!

DaveB says:

Funny Michael Dokes was mentioned. His aunt used to be my old bosses' parent's housekeeper. Yeah they had bucks and I know she does now. Well going by that analogy Aerrola reminds me of Greg Page in that he is so inconsistent. Greg Page had more talent than anyone I ever saw almost and fought great at times and crappy at times. I do hope Wilder gets his shot first but with Don King and the WBC I'll believe it when I see it unless Wilder knows something we don't. If the Klitschko fight offers more money I think they will try to go that route. I'm sure HBO will want to try to get in there once things are settled. What a fight to have had on ESPN.

Latest Articles

maidanabelieveshellbeatmayweatherinrematchdoyou
pacquiaogetsawinintaxcase
andrewardslawsuitagainstgoossendismissed
pacquiaoalgieripresstourinfohere
algierichallengespacmantotheicebucketalstest
foxsports1andgoldenboycelebratefirstbirthdaytogether
mikejoneshasanewtrainer
mayweathercanfightwhohewantswhenhewantsperiod
mayweathersbacktoschoolgiveawayaragingsuccess
austintroutanddanieldawsonfightforsurvivalatpechanga

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?