Deontay Wilder Beats Up Internet Bully

BY Kelsey McCarson ON May 09, 2014

wilder592014.jpg
Undefeated heavyweight prospect Deontay Wilder, who many feel is America’s best hope for near-future heavyweight glory, put the beat down on internet bully and general malcontent Charlie Zelenoff.

Wilder told TMZ that Zelenoff had been harassing him, his family and even going so far as to say he was going to “murder” Wilder and “tape [his] daughter’s mouth shut.” According to the report, the last bit is what really got Wilder going.

As you can imagine, and you don’t have to because you can watch it on video, things got ugly pretty fast. Zelenoff’s best punch is the one where he sneaks up on unsuspecting victims and catches them off guard.

If you don’t recall, he did something similar to Floyd Mayweather, Sr. a few years back, too.
But Wilder was ready for it, and so it was a fairly short time before Zelenoff was ready to turn tail and run away.

Wilder put him down quick, and did not appear to throwing punches with full velocity.

To his credit, Wilder said afterward he was trying to knock some sense into Zelenoff, something that hasn’t seemed to work judging by this clown’s history.

“I genuinely care for the guy,” Wilder told TMZ. “I want him to stop [harassing people] before he messes with the wrong person. You never know who you’re dealing with.”

So how is one to take all this in? The best thing I’ve come up with so far is simply this: if there is ever a case to put your hands on someone who is clearly mentally, emotionally and/or spiritually ill, this might be it.

Regardless, Wilder will continue his career in boxing with even more attention now than a guy with 31 knockouts in 31 fights would be getting anyway. The video has just about gone viral and will probably go on to have a long life of internet fame.

But can Wilder do the same? While I am probably one of the original Wilder bandwagoners, it seems host of HBO Boxing telecasts, Jim Lampley, wasn’t so convinced on the matter when I talked to him earlier this week.

Lampley said he needs to see more before he hails Wilder as the next big thing in the heavyweight division.

“Wilder is seen as a big puncher,” said Lampley. “Is that legitimate or matchmaking? I think that’s open to debate.”

Lampley said he hasn’t seen anything yet in Wilder’s game that would give world heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko any trouble at all. He said Wilder still possesses too “limited offensive technique and concept” to have anything but a puncher’s chance against Klitschko.

In fact, Lampley said if you’re the type who is looking for someone to snag the crown from Klitschko anytime soon, you might need to look past Wilder altogether.

“You have to look at somebody more sophisticated in their makeup at this point than Wilder,” said Lampley.

But Zelenoff? Nah, he’s got plenty enough skill for that…

El Dude says:

El Dude respects Deontay Wilder and I said it before, "Wilder is my favorite HW prospect", but it is my dream to lace them up like a "gentleman" and step in the ring with this humble Giant of a Warrior. Deontay Wilder is doing everything right by KOing all who are in his way. I am from the old-school meaning I don't agree with the critics who say that Wilder hasn't fought anyone and I sure in hell don't agree with racism. Wilder is young and gifted, he reminds me of the fighters from back in the day who were more than capable of going 70-100 plus fights in their careers. My opinion, "Wilder is just beginning and will rule the HW division for at least a decade". Wilder has lots of hard work ahead of him but that's only because he is a true prospect of the sport of Boxing. El Dude humbly requesting to be next. El Dude is in it to win it unlike a babbling fool, who dared disrespect Wilder and his family to. I enjoy Boxing in and out of the tube, and just like Marcos The Bee-Hive Maidana, El Dude can go Kamikaze and 2-for-2. I have my dreams and I don't daydream for I am in in a mission like a rivaling king. I have respect for the sport and all who play the game but I come not to lose for I am El Dude. Set it up for I know what I do, I am a gentleman who loves to duke it out and this is the truth.
El Dude.

The Commish says:

You are a gentleman, El Dude, above all else. Charlie Zelenoff is not. Chuckie Z. is an internet troll who likes to harass fighters, call them names and threaten their families. As many of yopu know, I have become close with Deontay over the last few years. He was a guest on my SiriusXM show last night. In fact, he was my on-the-scene correspondent who covered the Bermane Stiverne-Cris Arreola weigh-in for me. Following the weigh-in, he joined me & Gerry Cooney for around 20 minutes on the air. On the air, we only talked about the Stiverne-Arreola fight. Off the air, we chatted about his beatdown of Chuckie Z.

Chuckie Z. is a manjor-league creepazoid. He is truly not firing on all cylinders. It would not surprise me if he really needs to be institutionalized. He's THAT off.

I do not condone Wilder beating on mentally-ill Chuckie, but I understand it. It wasn't just the racist remarks Chuckie hurled at Deontay. It was the remarks--and threats--against his family.

Chuckie Z. needs one of two things. One is a padded room in a mental facility, where he can talk to his friends from the distant planet of Eros on toy phones. The other thing he needs, if room and board at such a facility cannot be arranged, is a Corleone Family-style attitude adjustment. You get the picture.

I only get worried that Deontay--or other high-profile athletes--will get in serious trouble for dealing out beatings to peabrains who deserve to be beaten.

Deontay is so close to a title shot. We'd all hate to see him blow it on a mental defective like Chuckie Z.

-Randy G.

El Dude says:

El Dude is a gentleman who stands against racism, harassment, crime, drugs and I don't pity the fool who do what they do. I am not hating but I am in it to win it and I love to write about Boxing almost as much as I do sparring.

The Shadow says:

-Randy G.

Wonderfully put, Commish!

patenosky69 says:

Deontay Wilder I very good but hi not have fight yet a good boxing man like the two rusian heavyway champion today only two heavyway good champion the two brther rusian if Deoantey ko one of the two
champion and then I velieve Deoantey is very good......

dino da vinci says:

I'm with P69 on this one.

Where in da double heck is D69? I expected for him to be in the Universe after what M-Co did to Ser-Mart. Holla!

The_King_AJ says:

Zelenoff is clearly genuinely mentally disordered, no pride in clowning someone like that, although it could perhaps help them make the connection that being a prick is not going to work well for them....which is why I think this guy needed it.

Nevertheless....he took a Deontay Wilder punch like the heavyweights couldn't.

Latest Articles

gennadygolovkinvsdanielgealeliveroundbyroundresults
goodboygetsitdonegolovkinstopsgealeinroundthree
bryantjenningsbeatsmikeperezontwoofthreecards
undersizedheavyweightsbattleinmadisonsquaregarden
doncharginhooksonwithgoldenboy
roachcontemplatingtrainingcampwithpacquiaoandcotto
freddieroachtalkscottogolovkincottocanelo
thefarhoodfivemostmemorableshoboxmoments
golovkingamefaceonandgealemakeweightinnyc
mikereedsignswithtoprank

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?