Golovkin-Chavez Dead For Now; How 'Bout Golovkin-Ward as Plan B?

BY Michael Woods ON May 07, 2014

GOLOVKIN 82ce5

Triple G is going for Plan B, as it looks like a proposed Gennady Golovkin-Julio CesarChavez Jr. match in the planning stages for July 17 has blown up, and will not occur on that date.

Golovin promoter Tom Loeffler told TSS that a Golovkin-Chavez fight is "dead for now, unfortunately."

He said that promoter Top Rank told him they aren't optimistic they can get on the same page with the son of the Mexican legend, who seems to be angling for free agency status. He's not been willing to extend his contract with the Las Vegas outfit, which, from my viewpoint, has done a stellar job getting him to a place, with perseverance and patience, where he's one of the top three draws, from a TV/premium cable perspective, in the sport.

"We have moved on discussions with HBO for a date in July, on HBO, looking for the best available foe," Loeffler said.

Readers, you have a preferred stand-in for Junior? Andre Ward has been saying he wants a bout, and has complained that Dan Goossen hasn't been burning up the phones looking for a waltz partner; how about a Golovkin-Ward clash? I'm not keen on Marco Antonio Rubio, and Martin Murray is booked for a June 21 scrap against Max Bursak, in Monaco. Sam Soliman and Felix Sturm are booked, against each other, on May 31, in Germany. I see no need for a Brian Vera clash, coming off a Vera loss, to Junior, Curtis Stevens has already tried to climb that hill, Matt Macklin is hooked up with Daniel Geale in a few weeks, Danny Jacobs and Peter Quillin are Cold War Kids, Gabe Rosado has swung and missed...shall I go on?

Ward...Golovkin...make it 'appn, cap'ns.

Follow Woods on Twitter.

El Dude says:

Genady G. Golovkin vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr is the Middle-Weight fight that the fans have been calling for. It is a disappointment for us fans who want to see this fight happen soon. GGG is an awesome warrior but in GGGs defense he has stated that he wants to fight Chavez jr next and Chavez accepted the challenge before his victory fight vs Bryan Vera but GGG just lost his father and he has been in mourning and this explains his recent return after a long layoff. Erislandy Lara has also called out GGG and that would be one heck of a fight if it ever went down but GGG knows that Chavez is a less of a challenge than Lara because of the foot skill yet GGG could make 3x more $ fighting JR than Lara. Andre Ward has been laid of since 2011 and for Ward to return straight cold vs either GGG or Chavez is a big mistake for the SMW champ who may have no other choice but to step in the ring vs the hungry.
by El Dude.

Carmine Cas says:

by El Dude.

El Dude Ward walloped Edwin Rodriguez last November, I guess it's still hard to remember because he's been inactive still. But isn't this the fight that fans have been clamoring for?

I love it, as I stated for GGG-Kessler, this would be even more a litmus test for Golovkin. Personally I would have love to see him lay a beating on Chavez and gain the exposure simultaneously. But a Ward fight would be Golden, can't really think of anyone else. Maybe Kovalev but he's at 175, Lara is tied up with Canelo and Showtime.

El Dude says:

you are right, I was typing out of my mind and relying on my quick memory bank and for some reason I was picturing both the Dawson fight and the Edwin fights in 2011 but he fought them both a year apart. You are correct and El Dude made a mistake. Ward fought once in 2011 vs Ward and in 2012 vs Edwin. I will correct my mistake with an apology.

oubobcat says:

I have stated this before but there are only a select few opponents realistically available for Golovkin this July. Some fighters have bouts scheduled and other are not available due to the Cold War politics. Those I see as being available are: Rubio, Matt Korobov, Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam and Mikkel Kessler. Of those names, that one that just glares out is Kessler.

Is a Ward fight next for Golovkin really realistic? I would absolutely love to see it but don't think it happens at least that soon. Ward is tied up in a very bitter litigation case with his promoter Dan Goosen. Ward states he wants to fight under Goosen but his court actions say something entirely different. And from Goosen's prospective, why should he be out working very hard to secure a fight with Ward when Ward has made it abundantly clear he want nothing to do with him. Naturally, Goosen is probably focused on other things and other fighters more so than Ward at the moment.

I think we are going to see Golovkin-Kessler in the summer. This will be Golovkin's biggest test and is a can't miss action fight because of the styles of both men. Its not a bad consolation to the Chavez fight honestly and probably will go to HBO World Championship boxing so will save us fans a few bucks from having to buy the PPV.

The Shadow says:

I apologies to Andre Ward and all who read my post as well as this forum for I made the mistake of stating that Ward had been inactive since 2011 when in fact it was 2013. I was picturing both the Dawson fight and the Edwin fights in 2011 but he fought them both a year apart. Carmine Cas, you are right, I was typing out of my mind and relying on my quick memory bank. You are correct and El Dude made a mistake. Ward fought once in 2012 vs Chad and in 2013 vs Edwin. I will correct my mistake with an apology.

The Mod says: "You're forgiven."

The Shadow says:

Tom Loeffler is walking a fine line between promotion and slander. I'm not digging it.

GGG's team don't want it with Ward. What they need from Golovkin is for his KO streak to continue and climax with Martinez. This is the plan.

I repeat: this is the plan.

They are not confident he will stop Ward. They're not confident he will look good. Hell, they're not even confident he will win.

Not yet, anyway.

And looking good is what Golovkin's reputation is built on. They are not going to let all that equity go up in smoke with a proven spoiler, who's been known to traumatize people (mentally) in the ring. It's not worth it.

On the business end, I understand. As a fan, it's a damn shame.

deepwater2 says:

How bout ending the cold war . Kid coco vs ggg ? Why not ? Plan b for ggg ?- Rubio ? Ward should fulfill his contract.

The Shadow says:

I agree. HBO should make that fight. Ball is in their court...

Don't think Rubio wants to give up his mandatory shot.

Or what about Thee Latin Snake?

By the way Deep, I was watching Collazo and trying to study some of the things you mentioned. Eye feints, shoulder feints, little slick tricks. He's a tricky guy in there.

gibola says:

Golovkin-Chavez Dead For Now; How 'Bout Golovkin-Ward as Plan C? .....and how about Ward-Kovalev as plan B? Golovkin can make 154, he admits it - he shouldn't be fighting at 168. He should be fighting the Cottos, Chocolates and Canelos. Ward-Kovalev is a much better fight in my view and a more equal size match-up. They're both on HBO and both need opponents - why is it not happening or even being discussed?

deepwater2 says:

Cool,those tricks might have kept him on his feet until the final bell but Khan was a beast in there.

Latest Articles

kovalevwillhavemorethancaparelloonhismindaugust2nd
quotesfromfinalkovalevcaparellopresser
sadamaliandanthonypetersontofightatbarclaysaug9
adrienbroneremmanueltayloronforsept6incincy
ideasforprovodnikovsnextrioschaveswinnerherreraandmaybebradley
salitarunningnextqbrooklynbrawlqsept18
dannygarciaqineedaknockoutq
kovalevingoodplacebutotherswouldmarvelatthawingofcoldwar
thefightnetworklookingtocapturethecultureofboxing
visaissueclearedupdiegochavesiscleartofightrios

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?