Mayweather's Superior Physicality Saves Him Versus Maidana

BY Frank Lotierzo ON May 05, 2014

mayweatherwins e84f9

Floyd Mayweather 46-0 (26) turned pro in October of 1996, almost 18 years ago.

And this past weekend former WBA welterweight title holder Marcos Maidana 35-4 (31) shocked the boxing world and gave him what was no doubt the second toughest fight, and perhaps maybe even the toughest fight, of his stellar career.

Mayweather's 12-round majority decision over Maidana is only the second time in 46 fights that Floyd has left the ring with some observers questioning whether or not he really won. The last time that happened was back in April of 2002, when Mayweather won a highly dubious unanimous decision over Jose Luis Castillo in their first bout for the WBC lightweight title. (For the record I had Castillo beating Mayweather 115-111).

This past weekend I had Mayweather beating Maidana 115-113.

For years we've heard how the way to beat Mayweather is to rough him up and make the boxing match a street fight. But most of his opponents who tried to do that were discouraged and defeated mentally, then physically, by the end of the fourth round.

Not Maidana.

Marcos stayed true to his word and really didn't give a damn about Mayweather or his reputation. For the first eight rounds Maidana threw the kitchen sink at Mayweather and Floyd was clearly rattled and confused by his wild punches and un-conventional aggression. So much so that Mayweather was making faces and gestures at the referee as to say 'can you calm this guy down?'

Mayweather began to seize the fight in the ninth round and fully imposed his will on Maidana, sweeping three, perhaps all four of the last rounds to pull out the fight. Once Maidana began to slow a little, starting around the seventh round, Mayweather was better able to keep him at center ring and blunt his aggression with left hooks to the body and right hands to the head. With Maidana slowed a bit, Mayweather's hand speed dictated his offense and his superior defense prevented Maidana from landing that one fight-altering punch he needed to in order to take back control of the fight.

After the fight Mayweather said, "It was a tough, competitive fight. I normally like to go out there and box and move. But he put pressure on me. I wanted to give the fans what they wanted to see so I stood and fought him."

Don't you believe it.

For years I've highlighted how at the end of the day physicality trumps strategy and no fighter does what he doesn't want to, unless he has to, including Floyd Mayweather.

And for the first eight rounds of the bout Mayweather was forced to fight it out with Maidana because he had no choice - Maidana made the decision for him. However, because Maidana threw so many punches at Mayweather in order to disrupt him and make Floyd fight him off, it ultimately took its toll on Marcos physically and he couldn't sustain his aggression.

Once Maidana's unrelenting aggression ceased and started coming in spurts, Mayweather's life got a lot easier.

Before the fight, I said that in order for Maidana to pull off the upset, he needed to possess a big-enough punch to make Mayweather uncomfortable and do things he didn't want to do.....and he'd also have to have the means to deliver it. And for eight rounds he did. The problem was that starting in round nine Mayweather still had a few gears left to continue going, whereas Maidana basically topped out and didn't have overdrive.

Mayweather's best round of the fight was the ninth. He hit a slowed-down Maidana with some tremendous hooks to the body, which in turn kept Maidana from pressing and bulling him against the ropes and working him over. With Maidana slowed and now thinking and plotting instead of attacking, he became a sitting duck for Mayweather's best offensive weaponry. Had Maidana owned just a little more punch and physical strength, he very well might have won the fight. But the reality turned out to be that Maidana only had enough punch and strength to bother Mayweather for a while. And imposing it on Floyd took a lot out of him and that's why Mayweather pulled away during the last third of the bout. As gifted as Mayweather is, he really couldn't box and pick his spots until Maidana got tired and slowed by the fast pace of the fight.

Maidana and trainer Robert Garcia had a terrific fight plan. They both did a great job preparing for the fight. As skilled as Mayweather is, he couldn't really get the upper hand in the fight until Maidana wound down some. The problem for Maidana was fighting at 100 mph took a lot more out of him than it did Mayweather due to Floyd's underrated upper-body strength.

It wasn't until the ninth round that Mayweather's pronounced skill advantage became the dominating force in the fight. Once Mayweather had Maidana to the point to where he could control him, it was downhill from there.

What really stood out about the fight was it usually only takes Mayweather two or three rounds to dictate the terms of the bout against most opponents, not eight.

There's talk of a rematch and I hope it happens because Maidana deserves the pay day. As for the outcome, I think Mayweather will win and endure less physical abuse and punishment the next time if they fight. And the reason for that is, I don't think Maidana can be any better than he was this past Saturday night. It's not like he can do anything different stylistically. Basically, he'll have to go after Mayweather again like a wounded animal and we saw that can only take him so far and won't quite get it done. Sure, Marcos may have more confidence and Floyd will be a few months older but, we now know that Maidana cannot sustain the needed pressure to overwhelm Mayweather.

In addition to that we also know that Marcos doesn't posses enough of a punch to really get Mayweather off his game to the point where he can seize the fight. Floyd was never really shook or in trouble once in 12-rounds.

“If I had my gloves I would have knocked him out,” Maidana said. That may be the case, but it's doubtful that the so-called "punchers gloves" that Maidana wants to wear would make that much of a difference. At least I don't believe so.

Mayweather has shown in past bouts against Jose Luis Castillo, Shane Mosley and Miguel Cotto that he takes a really good punch. If Maidana can't hurt him enough to where he can push him off the cliff, he can't beat him.

Based on the 12-rounds they just fought, it doesn't look like that would be the case in a rematch. History had shown that when the "boxer" beats the "fighter/attacker" in the first meeting, the rematch is usually a rerun of the first encounter.

Frank Lotierzo can be contacted at GlovedFist@Gmail.com

El Dude says:

All that stood out from Floyd Mayweather was his superior clinching abilities that he utilized vs Marcos Maidana as he clung for dear life. Floyd landed more jabs to the body which fallaciously added to the compubox stats while Marcos the Bee-Hive Maidana scored relentlessly with bombs. This is not a color thing nor political, this is the same case of the little man being screwed by the big corporations, greed 101. Boxing is scored round by round and the most significant punches outweigh the lesser jabs, Marcos did not need a KO to win vs Floyd, that is a fallacy that has been used to confuse the world. BTW, isn't the champ the one who should be producing all the KOs instead of running around and clinching like a rookie.
by El Dude.

by El Dude.

Much respect for you coming in here and stamping down your thoughts and opinions on how this fight would play out.. You were correct and I looked like a dummy. Mad respect to Chino and Garcia. Their game plan worked.

I also had Chino winning. He swept the first 6 rounds with only round 2 being very very close, Floyd was winning it but I feel Chino took it by a hard combination to the body which buckled floyds legs. Effective punching which is hurting the opponent beats a few clean pot shots here and there.

Floyd won rounds 7 and 9 I believe cleanly other than that I am not sure what other rounds he could have taken.

Chino took Floyds legs and steam hurting him badly in the first two rounds, people do not realize that.

And I also say that the compubox stats were terribly OFF as usual. Chino was landing hard thudding body shots almost every round, some times 4 and 5 at a time during a 15 punch output with floyd bent over trying to defend himself.

For Floyd to call himself TBE is a complete and disrespectful joke in every way.

El Dude says:

"No" fan of Boxing is a dummy for you are an awesome participant and supporter of this beautiful sport that we all love. In the Boxing ring anything can happen and sometimes we don't see whats coming. It is OK to give your predictions and to voice your opinions because this is America the land of the free and the brave just like you, Maidana and "May".

I appreciate that.

Madaina has me as a fan for life for beating Broner to a pulp, one of my most enjoyable boxing moments of my entire life.

I just thought Floyd would pot shot at distance all night at the end of his reach and play safe using his footwork to win a boring fight.

Madaina and Garcia both knew this and jumped him from the start and got to that body and took his legs.
What an incredible job by Chino and he should never stop saying he won.

He beat Floyd up all night long, battered him, broke his spirit early and bullied him around. He controlled most of the fight and landed the better blows. He should have won.

Flo Lo...your article is dead on the Money.

MisterLee says:

Yo Frank! Great article!

I would have given Chino rounds 11 & 12 tho. I thought Floyd dind't do enough, and Chino was able to sustain a tempo that didn't suit mayweahter and was still landing good body shots and occasional head shots. Tss rules!

Yo Caveman, you should do another 10,000 word manifesto about how Maidana won and DO NOT forget the pendelum graphics!!!

brownbomber says:

Amyseng you are the biggest closet floyd hater I have ever seen. You are not even in the fight game and you just spew nonsense. Go play baseball buddy.

Skibbz says:

I don't see how so many people believe Floyd was rescued by his physicality. It was his skill that did it again.

A fighter should first be extremely fit and strong, then he should work his technique to perfection. That's what most guys can achieve with hard training. The next level comes with having the former attributes coupled with intelligence. If you add experience to that pugilistic cocktail you're looking at an elixir of boxing immortality. Floyd has all those ticked off, twice.

The joker in the pack is power, something you are born with and that can't really be improved to the same extent as the other attributes. It's the joker because you need none of the others if you have power and you land on the button. You don't need power to become a world champion, but possessing power can make life in the ring easier.

First 2 rounds I gave to Floyd. Maidana was doing his best to land that one shot but Floyd was defending himself incredibly well, and countering when the opportunity presented itself.

What's important to also note is that Floyd wasn't working hard rounds 3,4,5 and 6. He accepted Chino was going to try blow all his steam and let him. His defence is more than capable of handling Chino no matter how dirty he made it and he soaked up the pressure until round 7. Then, once Chino had tired himself out Floyd started building on the bridgehead and cruised to an 8-4. I'm not even a big Floyd fan but fight fans blind themselves in the heat of the moment and don't see what's really happening in the ring.

Pretty disrespectful comment....

I give credit where credit is due and I enjoy Floyd's craft, he boxed Canelo's ears off to where it was embarrassing.

He out skilled and out witted the Ghost.

Shane put him on queer street and he buckled down and came back with a vengeance and literally beat shane up.

However, I think Chino did a job on him, won more rounds, beat him up and should have won.

I also do not agree with Floyd calling himself TBE with the likes of Ali, among others who are around because it is an insult to them and their era. What active athlete calls themself the best ever? It is quite ridiculous.

Either way I guess you are against free speech, thought and one's ability to freely have boxing disagreements and discussions if it is against your own personal opinion.

quite telling

michigan400 says:

I watched a heavily pixelated version of the fight Sunday am online. I thought Floyd pulled it out but just barely. I could have seen it going either way. My thoughts are this - Floyd fought a tough WW that was not old, shot, injured or coming waaay up in weight or seriously weight drained and on top of all that, had mental toughness. The fact is that Maidana was underestimated by the money team (and pretty much everyone else) to such a point they did not impose a fight night weight limit or anything screwy on him. They just figured an easy nights work. Floyd fights a guy who is at 100% and surprise, surprise,,,, he looked beatable without all the pre-fight BS tricks. Floyd did not look like he got old overnight to me,, he just started to beleive his own BS that he was the GOAT (I think they call it "Broneritis" LOL!) and didn't need to get the upper hand everywhere before the fight like he usually does. I guarantee that will NEVER happen again. It's gonna be catch weights, fight night weight limits, Floyd gets to wrap your hands, pick out your underwear, dictate what you can eat and gets custody of your 1st born child if you want to fight him from now on. I used to think Pac had no chance to beat him but still wanted to see the fight. Now, I think he has a REAL chance, not just a punchers chance. Floyd would probably still win but I think Pac would give him more scares than Maidana did and it would be a good, competitive fight.

The Commish says:

tR: Nothing like that anthology with the pendulum graphs. It is a TSS classic!

-Randy G

The Commish says:

I just had the luxury of sitting back and watching the fight again. There is no question in my mind that the phenomenal skills $$$May has had a lot to do with him being able to withstand the constant pressure and vicious body blows of Chino. But skills alone did not see $$$May through. If all he had were skills, he would have been KO'd. He also was in tremendous condition.

In the ring, $$$May knows how to relax...hoq to stay calm under attack. Muhammad Ali used the same kind of skills, conditioning and calm to weather an early assault by George Foreman, to wear him down and stop him.

The fight was not the one-sided 117-111 that judge Burt Clements had it. This was a two-sided fight all the way and we should accept $$$May's victory without cries of "fix" and "robbery." I think we'd all love to see a rematch (which I believe $$$May will win a little bit easier).

As for brownbomber, I didn't know any of the posters on this great site had to be in the fight game to have an opinion. My feeling is that everybody who posts on here is in the fight game, and from this corner, they get treated as colleagues. One of the great things about this site it that each of us can make statements, no matter how absurd or ridiculous, and they won't be chastized or humiliated into going somewhere else.

I hope you are not an Adrien Broner fan. That's because I am not a closet critic of his. I am one of his biggest detractors. I just figured I would tell you that, because if you find my anti-Broner rants somewhere else on this site, you might go berserk on me. I just figured I'd get it out in the open for you right here.

To amayseng, I apologize for you. I just had to.

I had a feeling brownbomber wouldn't do it.

-Randy G

deepwater2 says:

Freedom of speech is not to talk about the weather.People have a right to express their opinions.
The word hater is thrown around way too casualty these days. The word hater is used to stifle speech, instead of arguing the premise of the argument, it is meant to shut down all arguments.
Using logic, I hate young men that punch Grandmas in the face and steal their purse. The individual known as A. Broner has been arrested for punching a grandma in her face and stealing her purse. Therefore I do hate A. Broner for his despicable actions. .

To amayseng, I apologize for you. I just had to.

I had a feeling brownbomber wouldn't do it.

-Randy G

I appreciate that Commish. Thanks.

I do not take anyone's verbal bashing at me personally. Some people just can not understand that it is OK to like and dislike things about a fighter. I guess if you are not on the bandwagon and think for yourself you are a "hater". Which is about the dumbest term ever. I am 35 and just cannot morally use that word, it is quite ridiculous.

Though you are right. What makes this site superior to all the other sites is that discussions and debates here are done without calling people names or trying to degrade them. That nonsense is for the other sites.