Floyd Mayweather Figures Out Argentina’s Marcos Maidana Late In Fight

BY David A. Avila ON May 04, 2014

Mayweather-Maidana c5815

LAS VEGAS-Floyd “Money” Mayweather sweated out a close victory over the rugged fighting Argentine Marcos “Chino” Maidana by majority decision on Saturday.

A rematch may be in store.

Few expected the fight to be as closely fought but Mayweather (46-0, 26 Kos) had probably never seen before the overhand blows that Maidana (35-4, 31 Kos) used with impunity before 16,268 fans at the MGM Garden Arena. It took the clever WBC and WBA welterweight champion half of the fight to figure out where to duck and move.

“He really came to fight,” said Mayweather, 37. “He had an awkward style, he was a difficult guy to fight.”

The clumsy looking but effective style of Maidana scored in the first two rounds with overhand rights that looked like scorpion stings and landed often on the back of Mayweather’s head. By the third round Mayweather began to find the mark for his patented right hand leads, but Maidana seemed unaffected. In many ways it reminded some of the Ricardo Mayorga-Vernon Forrest fights a decade earlier.

During some wild exchanges that saw elbows flying and overhand rights in round four, Mayweather emerged with a cut over his left eye. It had been years that the Las Vegas boxer had suffered a cut. He’s rarely hit but he was confused by the awkwardness of Maidana who landed more blows than any previous opponent, at 221 blows connected.

Mayweather finally scored a clear cut round in the sixth with some perfectly timed right counters and several left hooks. But Maidana still remained dangerous and was able to score too.

Flashes of the Mayweather speed were apparent in the seventh round as he fired a four-punch combination and slipped away easily. Maidana fired back but his blows were stymied by Mayweather’s defense.

Mayweather began to work the body with stiff jabs and some left hooks. It seemed to bother the Argentine, who backed off a bit. From that point on Mayweather began to control the fight from the outside with pinpoint counter rights and lefts. Maidana never allowed him to feel comfortable and kept the fight interesting.

“I was in a tough competitive fight,” Mayweather said. “I take nothing away from him. I couldn’t see for two rounds after the head butt. Real champions adapt to anything.”

One judge scored it a draw 114-114, but two others saw Mayweather winning 117-111 and 116-112.

“I thought I won,” said Maidana. “He did not fight like a man like I expected him to.”

Mayweather said he would be interested in a rematch with the rugged Argentinian.

“If the fans want to see it we can do it again,” said Mayweather.

Unlike Broner, who never was able to figure out Maidana, the Las Vegas speedster kept the fight in the middle of the ring and shot rights to the head and body. It kept Maidana from attempting bull rushes as in the first half of the fight.

Richard Schaefer, CEO for Golden Boy Promotions, said it was the most blows ever landed against Mayweather in a prize fight.

Mayweather, considered the undisputed best fighter in boxing at any weight class, is approaching the record of Rocky Marciano as the most wins by a world champion from the U.S. without ever experiencing a loss in his career.

Other bouts

United Kingdom’s Amir “King” Khan (29-3, 19 Kos) showed how to win the Mayweather sweepstakes by dominating former welterweight world champion Luis Collazo (35-6, 18 Kos) with three knockdowns in winning by unanimous decision.

“He was pretty awkward,” said Khan about the left-handed Collazo of Brooklyn. “People want to see a fight between Mayweather and me. Styles make fights. I beat him (Collazo) convincingly.”

All three judges scored it for Khan at 119-104 twice and 117-106

Adrien “The Problem” Broner (28-1, 22 Kos) defeated Carlos Molina (17-2, 7 Kos) by unanimous decision after 10 rounds. It was his first time fighting at junior welterweight.

“It was just a sparring match on TV,” said Broner, who is often compared to Mayweather.

Molina was very on point with his response.

“I thought I stayed in there too much,” said Molina, who had not fought in 18 months since losing to Amir Khan in 2012. “He was tricky to time the jab.”

Speedy J’Leon Love (18-0, 10 Kos) survived a brutal fifth round which saw him floored with several big blows from Mexico’s Marco Antonio Periban (20-2-1, 13 Kos). Referee Jay Nady made a signal to stop and then shoved the Mexican fighter across the ring. “I thought he called off the fight,” said Periban. Love survived by holding and then returned to jabbing and moving for the remainder of the fight. All three judges scored the super middleweight fight for Love 95-93, 97-92, 96-93.

Ashley Theophane (35-6-1, 11 Kos) battled the much taller Angino Perez (15-5, 13 Kos) and won the contest that featured numerous overhand rights. In the fourth round, Theophane was able to take advantage of the wider blows and land his own first. Numerous blows forced a stoppage of the fight at 2:44 of round four to give Theophane the technical knockout win in the welterweight contest.

Ladarius Miller (2-0) used a single left cross to knock out Richard Colas (11-3) at 58 seconds of round three in a junior welterweight match between Las Vegas-based prizefighters.

Lanell Bellows (7-1-1, 6 Kos) dropped Arkansas’ Thomas Gifford (2-2-1) with the first two punches he fired. Then in the second round, two booming right hands forced referee Jay Nady to stop the fight at 1:17 of round two in the super middleweight bout.

Andrew Tabiti (6-0, 6 Kos) stopped John Shipman (3-2) at 2:11 of round four in a cruiserweight fight.

Ron Gavril (9-0, 7 Kos) knocked out Tyrell Hendrix (10-4-2) at 1:58 of round four in a super middleweight fight.

oubobcat says:

Mayweather definitely came on the 2nd half of the fight. He kept the fight more at a distance and in the middle of the ring. From there, he was able to land the jab and pot shot effectively from range. He scored the more telling blows in the 2nd half of the fight. That said, it wasn't that he entirely figured out Maidana and totally dominated the 2nd half of the bout.

Maidana's style clearly made Mayweather uncomfortable for 12 rounds. The pressure obviously bothered Mayweather. As did the awkward angles of the punches thrown by Maidana. Mayweather covered up a lot when pressured and though he picked off and made Maidana miss many punches some did get through and pretty cleanly. In particular, the body shots were landing clean from Maidana. I wonder if the judges were scoring those blows.

I scored the fight a draw. It really could have gone either way. Maidana I thought got the better of the first half of the fight as Mayweather did not expect to be pressured and mauled like he was so consistently. Maidana did slow some in the 2nd half which I think partially allowed Mayweather to keep the more of the fight in the center of the ring and at a distance. And Mayweather landed some really telling blows in the 2nd half of the fight. It was not an easy fight to score but I do feel a couple of the judges scored more what they perceived Mayweather was doing to what he actually was doing. And not giving Maidana enough credit for the body shots.

The Commish says:

While the arguments are there by fans of Marcos Maidana that their guy should have been awarded the victory, there is no question he slowed down considerably in the last half of the fight and even more in the bout's last four rounds. While Mayweather said afterwards that both Miguel Cotto andCanelo Alvarez were harder punchers than Maidana, this truly looked to be the toughest fight of $$$May's career. Maidana did not let $$$May rest, especially in the last half of the fight.

I was disappointed we didn't hear more verbal fire from cornerman/trainer Robert Garcia, imploring Maidana to pick up the pace later in the fight. He should have known the fight was close and that his guy would have to step on the gas, which he didn't. Or couldn't. But $$$May did. He did what Adrien Broner couldn't do against Maidana. Broner wilted under the pressure. $$$May rose to the occasion under the pressure.

Last night may have been the finest night of $$$May's career. While the fight was a two-sided battle all the way, $$$May proved he is a great champion.

He deserved to have his hand raised.

-Randy G.

mortcola says:

I have even more respect for Floyd than I did before after overcoming my revulsion at his persona and his PED lies. Like a great chess player, he has an outline of how he would like things to go, then an infinite number of ways of analyzing the manner in which his opponent attempts to force a different on the fight - and once he has done that, he executes his own without error or, outwardly anyway, fear.

Only, last night he at best partly worked out the conundrum of the crude brawler Maidana who also improvises strange angles of approach to deliver unrecognizable missiles with a strange array of curve balls, knuckles, brush-backs, and fastball bullets. I have a simple argument: Mayweather landed only 8 punches more than Maidana, Maidana’s were all popper punches landed while manhandling Mayweather into the ropes and giving him essentially a three foot ring to fight in, so well did he cut off the ring in the majority of rounds. His ring generalship, his punches landed, and the inconsequential nature of all but two neat Mayweather counters - a right to the head that buzzed Maidana late, and an early body shot - negate any sense of superiority to that statistically meaningless extra 8 punches. I had Maidana up by two, because in part I cannot give a round to a fighter who lands his blows while being trapped and pummeled by his opponent. Maidana beat Mayweather, and the fight went EXACTLY the way I envisioned it. Bring it on, friends.

El Dude says:

Boxing is a sport of Gentlemen and the outcome of the Floyd Mayweather fight vs Marcos Maidana was not civil for it was a barbarian act to pull. You could say that I am as mad as Maidana for I feel that I was also robbed from my PPV $ and I am disgusted with the self interest that spits in our face. I follow the sport of boxing like no other and I am fair and unbiased when it comes to my comments and I am telling it as it is. I reject the continuous support to the obvious thievery that has become the norm in the sport that I love. This is not a color thing nor political, this is the same case of the little man being screwed by the big corporations, greed 101. BTW, isn't the champ the one who should be producing all the KOs instead of running around and clinching like a chicken...
by El Dude.

Boxing is a sport of Gentlemen and the outcome of the Floyd Mayweather fight vs Marcos Maidana was not civil for it was a barbarian act to pull. You could say that I am as mad as Maidana for I feel that I was also robbed from my PPV $ and I am disgusted with the self interest that spits in our face. I follow the sport of boxing like no other and I am fair and unbiased when it comes to my comments and I am telling it as it is. I reject the continuous support to the obvious thievery that has become the norm in the sport that I love. This is not a color thing nor political, this is the same case of the little man being screwed by the big corporations, greed 101. I feel sorry for those who don't seem to know the rules of and how the scoring is done in boxing. Maidana didn't need to KO Floyd to win, that's a fallacy. Boxing is scored round by round and the more significant punches out score the jabs. Clinching is a foul that is not permitted in boxing yet Floyd kept clinching for dear life. I saw Floyd land constant low blows as well as throwing his typical elbow and not once did he get warned but then again it has always been Floyd's home turf. BTW, isn't the champ the one who should be producing all the KOs instead of running around and clinching like a chicken...
by El Dude.

Clinching is a beautiful part of boxing. It always has been. It is not fouling. But something that you do for offense and defense reasons. In this New Jack boxing nowadays, clinching is becoming a lost art. So I can see why you believe that it is fouling. And it is not a "chicken" thing. It is a champion thing.

One can clinch in boxing until the referee says, "BREAK!" You have three seconds to let go. If you don't the referee will say "stop" and attempt to pull you apart. Is you don't let go, it is then a foul of "holding" in the pros and "delaying" in the amateurs.

Check the rules. Holla!

Skibbz says:

Check the rules. Holla!

Clinching is one of my favourite aspects of the sport. Which gym was it back in the day that deducted points for clinching..? on the basis that if you're clinching you're opponent you can't be punching him properly. Made for great fights in that era.

Maidana is a savagely ruthless competitor.. But sloppy muffled punches to the torso and a multitude of missed punches doesn't beat getting hit with the same number of stiff punches to the face... I can see why some will argue a win by Maidana. But he clearly didn't win a title with that performance in my opinion. If there is a rematch... I want to see it.
Khan looked amazing. Whether he fights either Khan or Maidana, Porter or Thurman... Any road the 37 year old fighter takes from here will be a hard one.

Skibbz says:

I agree Suges, I had it 116-112 for Floyd. He got caught when Maidana was hot but as soon as he lost his steam Floyd was in there making him pay. Chino had to start trying to steal rounds but Floyd always did too much. It was the most exciting Floyd fight for some time, credit to both fighters.

As for Khan, he was spot on with his performance. His offense has to be taken seriously. He's been out for a while but he's come back fully prepared. I'd like to see the Thurman Khan fight. It'd be Khan pushing Keith on the back foot, maybe even dropping him once since One Time can't fight backwards.. But Thurman would get up, land the Lacy left hook and down would go Khan. I'm ready to see Keith in England!

El Dude says:

El Dude is in it to win it, just like Maidana came and did it. My constitutional right is my corner and the freedom of press is my ring. Hector Macho Camacho vs Julio Cesar Chavez was the reflection of Marcos the " BEE-HIVE " Maidana vs the Lucky P4P Clinch. My thoughts to all of that as well as this, well be riddle me this. Who was clinging for dear life, who was doing all the talking, and who did all the asswhooping...."Clinching is beautiful and legal in Boxing" you May say, oh well my inexperienced friends for all I have to say to that is, "WHAT", now have a nice day.

Pundits said how "sloppy" and "slappy" the punches of Joe Calzaghe and Rocky Marciano were. And how "stiff" that they got punched to the faces. But one suppose to score punches, not the style in the way that they are landed.

The GOAT Ali, the late, greats Jack Johnson and Willie Pep were known for throwing "sloppy muffled punches." And so is Money May. He constantly throws a slap jab and "kangaroo slap hook" and a looping, cuffing right hand. [I'm not making this stuff up.]

You have videos and films everywhere. But inattention blindness, style-of-fighter yearning and origin of fighter biases, make untrained and bias folks go ballistic with unseen and unnotice prejudices. And they go into taking sides and deep anger when one points them out.

Unless a person is trained not to be, people are bias when it come to their own. Holla!

El Dude is in it to win it, just like Maidana came and did it. My constitutional right is my corner and the freedom of press is my ring. Hector Macho Camacho vs Julio Cesar Chavez was the reflection of Marcos the " BEE-HIVE " Maidana vs the Lucky P4P "Clinch". My thoughts to all of that as well as this, well be riddle me this. Who was clinging for dear life, who was doing all the talking, and who did all the asswhooping in the ring...."Clinching is beautiful and legal in Boxing" you "May" say, oh well my inexperienced friends for all I have to say to that is, "WHAT", now have a nice day.

You have Fightfax, Boxrec, Boxing-scoop, the WSB, the rules of all the alphabet-sanctioning commissions, state and country sanctioning commissions, umpteen trainers, boxers and aficionados from all over the world to holla at you. Clinching -- also known as "trying up" is beautiful, legal and fair in boxing as much as a jab, cross or hook is.

Money May didn't cheat to get the close win. He won a close bout in which he was revealed. End of story. Maidana gets a bit of fame and glory. Holla!

I will be honest, I feel like a dummy. Just got back from a bachelor party weekend and just watched the first 6 rounds and I gave them ALL to Madaina.

Honestly, Floyd did not win one of those rounds.

I am off for a nap and the last 6 and will be back.

Madaina did what I said years back, if Floyd chooses to use a Defense in which he turns and offers his side and back then they should be fair game to be hit. You can't turn and bend over using your back to hide with and say you cant hit me in the back, it you choose to turn then you choose to be hit in the back. And that is what Madaina did.

6 rounds and I can HEAR his landing thudding body shots. He zapped Floyds legs in the first 2 rounds.

Well done Garcia and Chino

Floyd may hang them up.

Coming from the biggest Pacfan on the internet I'll take your comments about being "Biased" with a grain of salt RG and respectfully disagree.
but you are not alone, There will be many who will agree with you (like Amayseng), and many who oppose. but I'm very comfortable with the decision. I have to admit I was pacing the floor at one point, that's how intense it was.

Honestly, Floyd did not win one of those rounds.

I am off for a nap and the last 6 and will be back.

Well done Garcia and Chino

Floyd may hang them up.

I didn't see that Fight Amayseng, Not the one you saw.... Floyd was still moving like a flyweight in the late rounds when he wanted to. It was Maidana slowing down. Also I don't count hitting arms and groin areas as scoring blows, however Marcos was the most motivated challenger I have seen in quite a while. 37 is old for a fighter in a lower weight class and it was amazing to see Floyd dig down and claim the victory. I had said repeatedly that Maidana would push Floyd, but Floyd can't fight like he is 23 anymore... still he had enough left to do the job. IMHO

I completely understand your view. I am in the 10th right now and yes Floyd is looking more like himself and Madaina a bit fatigued. I gave Floyd a great round 7 and 9.

HOWever, Madaina won 8. So 1-6 +8 = 7 rounds. 7 beats 5 all day.

Unless Floyd gets himself a 10-8 round I have this one for Chino.

also, I am watching a Hispanic version, so I am not being lured one way or another.

Bsug, you are a near boxing analytic prodigy, but I beg of thee to re watch the first 6 rounds and find one Floyd won.

I was pulling for Floyd and I just found myself frustrated and shocked each round as Chino was winning them convincingly.

HOWever, Madaina won 8. So 1-6 +8 = 7 rounds. 7 beats 5 all day.

Unless Floyd gets himself a 10-8 round I have this one for Chino.

I gave Floyd at least 2 of the first 6 and one even.
Even all the major internet sights agree that Floyd won, (even the sights I don't own personally...lol)
I will respectfully disagree, but I'll give it another look and give some specifics later.

I gave Floyd at least 2 of the first 6 and one even.

Perhaps my vision is skewed from 40 hours of drinking and golfing and drinking......ha

Let me know which rounds in the first 6 you saw FM win...

mortcola says:

Honestly, Floyd did not win one of those rounds.

I am off for a nap and the last 6 and will be back.

Well done Garcia and Chino

Floyd may hang them up.

Same thing, except I watched the whole thing. Maidana’s shots to the rings wren’t “Muffled”, they were direct and hurtful, and the right looped around the Floyd’s temple were perfectly placed. He was NAILING Floyd in zones Floyd doesn’t usually have to defend. Yes, Floyd as an aging fighter is exposed, and again we see that brawling and intelligent fighting are not antithetical.

But I don't falsify or invent anything in boxing. As the GOAT Ali always said: "The films don't lie."

Look at them. I'm totally unbiased for Da Manny, Money May or any other fighter. I call a spade a spade. And never hide in the shade.

Anyone in any field worth his salt does right. His allegiance is to the profession. Not the professional or anyone else.

For Money May's whuppin' of Maidana's arse and Maidana's missing, he hit Money May with 35 percent -- the typical amount of punches landed for so-called "B-side fighter" -- of his shots for a total of 221 contacts, according the punch stats of Showtime.

For all Money May's speed, he just hit Maidana with nine more punches at 230. And a lot of those punches were touch/bytch jabs. Just with all this along, Maidana could've been given the verdict, because power/heavy punches carry more weight in the pros than slap jab and stiff-arm ones.

Matter of fact stiff arming is against the rules. So in all reality, Money May landed even less legally counted punches. (And I've never favored Da Manny in any bias way. Umpteen pundit$ and aficionado$ were riding shotgun with me, including the punch count stats.

I scored the fight for Money May by a point. But the bout could have gone either way. And Money May was exposed as fading and not the fighter he use to be of years past, as Pac-haters love saying about Da Manny. Holla!

As always, Doc M-Cola, you are spot on. And nailed it. I'm just amazed how people's brains and biases can cause inattention blindness to hardcore-seeing reality and actuality.

The replays were in triple slow motion. So how in da double fudge heck did one see "Muffled" shots? And even "sloppy" misses? The still slick, aging Money May made Chino missed by a narrow margin.

If Money May would've been out of the pocket and bunny hopping around, he would have been caught badly, as Broner was against Chino. Holla!

deepwater2 says:

The clock is ticking for Floyd . He might hang em up sooner then I expected. Imagine if PAC was in that ring against Floyd . Boxing will be just fine when Floyd retires again.

I agree. After a 35 year old Pac beat a prime Tim Bradley, again, convincingly, although a tough first half, everyone said he was washed up. However, Floyd goes life and death with Chino and I think the most telling aspect is that Pac still has the rapid fire speed and combination punching along with the most important asset besides being a southpaw, which is foot work and agility to where he can change his angle on a whim to score against the shoulder roll D.

Pac beats Floyd up and KO's him mid fight if not earlier. Floyd got buckled very early and zapped to the body as well.

I had chino winning, those body shots and ring generalship won him the fight.

Mortcola as usual, is always spot on.

deepwater2 says:

Mortcola as usual, is always spot on.

Agreed. Mm ate the counters and made the fight. If Floyd could of held him off the entire fight he would have. Floyd will duck the rematch and complain about arum as an excuse not to fight PAC. The boxing world will be fine after Floyd retires again. I encourage Floyd to retire and enjoy his money . Mm did a great job and should be proud.

The Good Doctor says:

I fear that you may be right but I hope you are wrong. Floyd actually could not have had a better night. He entered the night with the possibility of having no one to really fight when the night was over with. Number one is that he won. Number two is that he now has 3 options that not only will the public accept but if in fact father time has struck Floyd with a strong blow, will produce very intriguing matchups. Because he has appeared to lose half a step (although I am not completely sure about that) the Pac fight becomes even more intriguing than before. He could get away with fighting Khan because he smoked Collazo. In addition, he could fight Maidana again. It would not surprise me if Floyd walks, especially considering there is no penalty for doing so, but I hope he continues on.

I know it is sad. I was hoping Floyd won this fight because I had a feeling he would go for the mw title against Sergio who I feel Knocks Floyd out, in ridiculous fashion.

However, I rewatched the first 6 rounds and Madaina won them, along with the 8th and the 12th. possibly the 11th.

Madaina fought his fight those six rounds and Floyd had NO answers besides maybe two punches.

Chino truly won this fight, unless my combined 5 hours of sleep in two days along with 43 vodka tonics still has me seeing things.

The Good Doctor says:

I had chino winning, those body shots and ring generalship won him the fight.

I don't disagree with anyone who had Chino taking it but for the record, I had Floyd 7-5 winning it barely, but I was dealing with an interesting battle in my mind. I subscribe to the theory that Max Kellerman has where he says that you can judge a round by who is the person you did not want to be. I can say in 9 of those rounds, I WOULD NOT have wanted to be Floyd. However, in some of those rounds, Floyd landed the cleaner punches, evaded some of Maidana's shots and moved fluidly. Interestingly enough, in those same rounds Maidana was muscling him around, grinding him in the clenches, and was irritating Floyd to no end but not landing enough to win the round. The thing that made me have the battling thoughts though is that Floyd although winning the round looked extremely uncomfortable to me.

mortcola says:

And once again - When the precision boxer only lands 8 punches more than the power punching brawler, and far more of the precision boxer’s shots were jabs or powerless counters off the ropes and back foot while being manhandled, and far more of the brawler’s were thudding power shots (landed, not deflected), while dictating the pace and space of the fight, the boxer has failed to execute, by definition and by statistics and has been dominated by the brawler’s tactics. Many of us see Maidana having cleanly taken the first six. Floyd had some moments in the second half but not enough. Maidana’s fight. Floyd has now clearly been beaten in the eyes of many of both the knowledgeable and the ignorant hater-filled publics, so the image of Mayweather and his career have changed and fallen dramatically.

The Good Doctor says:

Love the passion but I got challenge you. Let me first say, I do not disagree with a Chino decision but in my best Stephen A Smith voice HOWEVA!!!!!:

Most people of knowledge had it a draw or a win for Mayweather. The broadcasters of the event were the same. In addition, all the big outlets ESPN, SI, LA Times, Yahoo Sports, Bleacher Report, SB all had it for Mayweather. On this site, there appears to be a lean towards Maidana but that is not a refelction of the greater overall picture.

To say it was statistically a domination is only telling one side of the story. Floyd landed 1 of every 2 punches, Chino landed 1 of every 4. Also, if you dictate the space and the pace but I still hit you more often at a higher rate did you really dominate me?

The fact is that a draw, or 7-5 either way would be reasonable in almost everyone's eyes. When you have decisions that close, it becomes a lot more about what makes a round to you which produces a myriad of results.

To say that Floyd's shots were not effective is misleading. Maidana throws cinder blocks, you stick and get out with him. If you are able to execute that gameplan, then your punches are effective. Although alot more decisive in its result, it does remind me of Cotto-Margarito II in which Cotto won the fight backing up and running for 90% of the fight.

TGD, it is difficult to always rely on compubox stats, seeing as one fighter may land 35 punches in one round which he only won 10-9.

Compubox or shobox stats are always decent but they do not explain the whole picture.

If I go 8/12 in 3 baseball games in one week that does not mean I hit consistently in every game.

I could have been 4/4 and 4/4 and 0/4 in those games, striking out 4 times in the last game without even a hit.

Scoring should always be mathematical for boxing, obviously.

Round by round who wins the most rounds.

sure Chino fatigued a bit in the fight at the end and Floyd was coming on strong at times down the stretch,

but **** he already lost the first 6 rounds and Chino won at least ONE more, therefore 7 beats 5 rounds

all day, no matter how good Floyd looked in rounds 7 and 9, which he looked fantastic.

Like I said I was back from a bachelor party weekend on very little sleep so I may be off, but I will watch

the fight again tonight.

However, I honestly can not see Floyd winning any of the first 6 rounds. Chino controlled the pace, did the most damage and fought his game more of the rounds than Floyd was able to fight his game.

I do like always respect your opinion and vast knowledge of this sport though.

The American media is in a state of shock. Their battleships are stuck on the dock. No loner can Da Manny, they mock. The myth of the invisibility of Money May has dropped like a giant rock.

Oh, YUP! Some rogue pug scribes will continue this charade of Money May's whatever. But they are jingoistic idiots, not clever.

I'm reminded of the GOAT Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard and "Sweet Pea" Whitaker. The Bluecoat scribes could not accept their boksing demise.

History apparently always repeats -- except for the like of Marciano and Calzaghe.

Money May will be cleanly KTFO before his groupies, fanfaronades, fanboys and fluzzies realize that the ship isn't sailing anymore. Holla!

I had Floyd winning rounds 2, 3, and 4 outright. ( maybe one of those rounds could have been even) At no time during the fight did M&M land a telling blow that hurt staggered or incapacitated Mayweather.
Except for about 4 obvious low blows.
It doesn't take much skill except for the WWE kind to hit and hold and foul. Tackles don't count either.
Meanwhile Floyd was landing punches that knocked the sweat from M&M's hair nearly every time he connected. Compubox stats are misleading... Holdind a guy with one hand...and whacking arm punches to the torso one-handed will never trump a series of head snapping head shots in the middle of the ring.
None of M&M's punches achieved this. Not even the clubbing and sometime muffled punches that were landing along the ropes.
The Pac / Bradley comparison doesn't fit either because Pac was KO'd by a 39 year old lightweight. PAC supporters simply cannot make an analogy regarding what they imagine a Floyd fight would look like based off Tim Bradley.......
Maidana is a 28 year old beast who rehydrated an extra 17 lbs on the day of the fight.
There is none of the controversy talk being speculated upon like when Bradley was awarded a victory over PAC in the first fight.... And I have yet to find any reputable sites or industry pundits proclaiming Maidana was robbed.
While I respect the different opinions ... I can't see anything less than a 7-5 victory for Floyd.
Even Ali congratulated Floyd and asked him to fight Manny.
If anything the closeness of this fight will make his next fight ( if he wasn't serious about retiring ) an automatic blockbuster. Surviving this level of adversity only increased his stock. Although he finally looked more human than divine in eaking out the tough win.

Wow! Desperation for justification is terrible. Da Manny would KAYO Money May's soon-to-be 38-year-old arse. Let Money May knockout Da Manny with the same lotto punch Hulkquez did. Money May's roids didn't work against Maidana. Even Uncle Roger said that Money May's brittle hands were paining.

It will never happen that Money May will remotely beat Da Manny, because Money May would never step in dat squared jungle across from Da Manny, especially now that Money May was exposed as perpetrating a fraud of speed and agility.

Of course one will not find English-speaking pundits not talking about a robbery. But I and others can give you a few Spanish-speaking ones, a couple of Arabic-speaking ones, a few Chinese-speaking one, some Japanese-speaking and even a Turkish and Italian-speaking one that will go there.

OMFG, typical enthnocentic American behavior because of monolingualism. The world doesn't get a cold when U.S. America sneezes.

FACE IT! American scribes are in shock of how Money May perform. And they don't know how to scribble it yet. On that, I bet.

Maybe TSS will get busy surveying how many non-English-speaking/writing outfits thought that Maidana was robbed. I, personally, believed that the bout could go either way. Holla!

No desperation.. Just contributing my opinion like everyone else. That's why we come here.

Get Money May a stronger batch of xylocaine and dat other syet that Sin City waved and increased the ratio of personally for him after finding him dirty. And telling the doctor -- now CEO of VADA -- to take a walk because she caught him riding-and-shoulder-rolling dirty. Holla!

The Good Doctor says:

Scoring should always be mathematical for boxing, obviously.

Round by round who wins the most rounds.

the fight again tonight.

I do like always respect your opinion and vast knowledge of this sport though.

Respect is returned sir in the utmost. You are one of the guys on here that it is fun to disagree with because your evidence is always logical. I understand that compubox doesn't tell the whole story but it does tell a story. I think the source of our disagreement is the early rounds. I didn't see Chino winning the first six. Without rewatching, I am not exactly sure which rounds went where in my mind but I had it 4-4 after 8. I think we are both staunch in our opinions and that's cool.

What I do hope is that this propels boxing to a new level at least temporarily. If you look at any sport, anytime the top team, group, individual or whatever is threatened, the sport is elevated not only competitively but also socially. In addition, controversy always brings in eyes and ears In two days, the list for Floyd has gone from one to three options. This fight has got people outside of the sport talking. Manny is now talked about again as a true threat to Mayweather. Could Mayweather call it quits despite what he said to Schaefer and Jim Gray? Chino made some serious fans and cash. Where does Khan go after thrashing Collazo? Broner is still an idiot. This card looked ok at first but it turned out to be great in terms of news.

Bsug Floyd was hurt in round one when Chino caught him with a right on the temple, in slow motion you can see Floyds front leg coming off the canvas a bit as a result, almost a buckle but either way it was a hurting shot.

I also believe he was hurt a few other rounds as well.

I am gonna have to break it down and find the spots.

Floyd landed a few clean shots but i honestly can't remember more than a few right hand leads.

Another thing, Floyd did not choose to fight like this, Chino zapped that body and legs early, it took till round 7 for Floyd to regain his legs and rhythm.

Amayseng Floyd displayed no signs of being hurt but he did freeze Maidana several times after catching him walking in. I'm sure he felt some pain from some of the punches, particularly the low blows... I know He felt the top of Maidanas head in this face and the time Maidana tried to wrench his elbow out of the socket. It was a rough dirty fight that would have made Ricky Hatton and the low blow king, Golotta proud.

The so called six round sweep by MM is another rapidly expanding urban legend without any solid basis in fact. Unless low blows and rabbit punches should now be considered legal... Those guys split the first 3 easily.... and somehow Mayweather still got stronger after absorbing multiple (and purposeful) low blows, knees, and fouling punches...which is unheard of... Groin shots usually sap the strength...rarely does any one come back from that.

Also considering the fact that Maidana weighed 165 on fight night....12 pounds more than he weighed against Broner. ...and 17 lbs more than Floyd makes Mayweathers accomplishments even more remarkable seeing that Tony Weeks was zero help in controlling the fouling.

But I appreciate your opinion and outlook ...you always give us something to talk about.

The Shadow says:

Suge, did you write this?? http://deadspin.com/how-marcos-maidana-almost-beat-floyd-mayweather-1571800209/+hamilton_nolan

[QUOTE=The Shadow;51660]Suge, did you write this?? [url]http://deadspin.com/how-marcos-maidana-almost-beat-floyd-mayweather-1571800209/+hamilton_nolan[/QUOTE]

Lol there are some frightening similarities....but no sir.. I can't take the honors...but good find