HOW HE DOES IT: Mayweathers' Mastery Explained

BY Lee Wylie ON April 24, 2014

Floyd-Mayweather-pic d4925

He's a master craftsman, all agree, even if there is debate when he refers to himself as "TBE," or The Best Ever.

Floyd Mayweather will do his thing, execute his mastery of the sweet science, in all of its intricacies on May 3, against Marcos Maidana.

Here's a video primer which will aid you as you watch the exhibition put on by "Money," which will allow you to better comprehend the methods he's used to get to 45-0.

deepwater2 says:

title="HOW HE DOES IT: Mayweathers' Mastery Explained"

Great work. I am so glad that about 35% of this breakdown was on the two things Floyd uses to get the advantage every time . Jab to the body. The illegal forearm / elbow that he uses on the inside. He is crafty enough to get away with it. Most boxers would get points for pulling it. Notice the refs are yelling break and stepping in while he is doing it, but then let the action continue . Hmmm? I actually saw Al Haymon on video in the stands at the Hatton fight. Stay in the shadows ,al Haymon . It's ok. Good sound track. Sounds like I'm at the coca cola club while watching this. Great video ! Bravo sir , Bravo.

SouthPawFlo says:

Great Video.....

They should've added a part about his Right Hand Lead....

Wonderful job! Pugilistic Forensic Analyst, L-WY. YOU da MAN!

Nonetheless, don't believe the hype. Money May will stay in da game much longer he says at this time.

I don't believe Money May for a bit. Holla!

SouthPawFlo says:

Yeah I don't believe for 1 bit he's gonna retire next year, if he can navigate his way to 49-0, he's definitely gonna "renegotiate" his Showtime Deal..

I can see him asking for a $50Million Guarantee for his 50th fight....

oldschool says:

With all due respect but, Floyd Mayweather has not fought a decent fighter since Marquez (it was also the first time that Marquez fought as a welterweight). In addition, Mayweather's fights can be very dull and not just because of Floyd's superior skills. The young Floyd Mayweather was unafraid to take chances but now Mayweather is first and foremost a counter-puncher. I was amazed at how cautious Mayweather was against Guerro. I have always liked fighters who are aggressive willing to lead for example, Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Oscar de la Hoya. In my younger days it was Archie Moore, Sugar Ray Robinson, Carmen Basilio, Sandy Saddler Luis Rodriquez to name just a few. The Floyd Mayweather who put away Diego Corrales was that kind of fighter and I miss him.

Truly one of the best ever.. His mastery of long range boxing insures that he scores consistently from the outside .....and his close proximity defense insures that he doesn't get butted or mauled. ......uses the elbow the way a carpenter uses a tool belt without fouling his opponent by providing necessary spacing to continue working on the inside without getting smothered by less skillful boxers. Sadly he only pulls enough out of his tool bag to get the job done in a quality manner even though he can perform at an extraordinary level that he rarely dieplays .

The Good Doctor says:

I can see him asking for a $50Million Guarantee for his 50th fight....

Your are 100% right. He is holding all the cards here. He can leave the deal anytime he pleases with no repercussions. Plus he can say to Showtime, my 50th fight will be huge, you need it. His only issue is, who is he going to fight should it come up?

The Good Doctor says:

Truly one of the best ever.. His mastery of long range boxing insures that he scores consistently from the outside .....and his close proximity defense insures that he doesn't get butted or mauled. ......uses the elbow the way a carpenter uses a tool belt without fouling his opponent by providing necessary spacing to continue working on the inside without getting smothered by less skillful boxers. Sadly he only pulls enough out of his tool bag to get the job done in a quality manner even though he can perform at an extraordinary level that he rarely displays .

Very well put. I would add that something I have noticed about Floyd is that he does the simple things well. I know that is kind of cliche but some of the simple things are lost by a lot of fighters today. Simple things like:

-Keeping your chin tucked in close

-Never fighting square

-Never stay still for more than 3 seconds

-Slightly crouching to protect the body

-Fluid footwork

I can name ten fighters now who if they did the above, it would change their careers immensely. It's funny, the more and more I watch the greats, I realize that their greatest talents were often just doing the little things well over and over again.

-Keeping your chin tucked in close

-Never fighting square

-Never stay still for more than 3 seconds

-Slightly crouching to protect the body

-Fluid footwork

Ageed Good Doctor...Floyd is always "poised and in character" until the final bell.

I dont know how they do it, with opponents who are not intriguing....

Skibbz says:

-Keeping your chin tucked in close

-Never fighting square

-Never stay still for more than 3 seconds

-Slightly crouching to protect the body

-Fluid footwork

In my opinion a lot of what you mentioned comes naturally to some, and to others has to be taught. Floyd is one of those guys with the intuitive ability to just know what to do. He doesn't think, it just happens. Just by looking at a guys stance he can tell what he's going to throw. He's got an ability to understand where his opponents weight is and hence he knows what's about to come.

When the eyes of the fighter are so well trained it's really hard to do what you want because he's got something waiting for whatever you've got coming.

I personally just want to see him fight the other top ranked guys. Then we can see even more of his brilliance. When he stops the people that are willing to pay a lot of money to watch him win or lose to get the best fights... It just seems like a bit of a downer. Hard to give him the full props whilst he's still active and picking his way to his final bout to be honest.

Carmine Cas says:

Beautiful video, very well made great work as always Mr. Wylie.

I think what a lot of fighters lack now a days are solid fundamentals. As titled, Mayweather is the master of these, and more.

What I did notice was that many of his opponents approached Floyd squared up inviting his offense.

And a little tid bit, Floyd's reach is above average for his height (I think) so it gives him an advantage utilizing the philly shell and rolling with punches; he's completely protected at the waist to head.

But Floyd is also the master at getting away with murder or at least manslaughter; he's slick these refs nearly always fail to miss the elbows, pulling down, forearms etc. Once again DW you made a great point about Maidana's camping consulting with the referee first, they should show him that specific portion of the video. And also use the whole video as preparation. Maybe it's the reason the video was published with only 9 days before the bout ;-p.

Great video none the less, makes you really appreciate Floyd but also boxing from a strategic and cerebral perspective.

The Shadow says:

I don't know, Mosley was a decent fighter, no? He was the welterweight champ and rated #3 P4P. Cotto was pretty good, too, the top guy at 154, according to rankings.

I agree with what you said about the Guerrero bout, I wish he would've led more but he hurt his hand. I think that has a lot to do with it also.

The Shadow says:

-Keeping your chin tucked in close

-Never fighting square

-Never stay still for more than 3 seconds

-Slightly crouching to protect the body

-Fluid footwork

Bingo, doc.

Great video and yes Floyd is a master. Just wish he would challenge himself.

brownbomber says:

Stop hating

The Shadow says:

I'd say Mayweather uses forearms more so than elbows.

Be as it may, it's all part of boxing. Muhammad Ali used some vicious elbows when he knocked out Foreman. And they are super hard to detect. And have to hurt like hell.

Larry Holmes busted Evan Fields wide open in round 7 with what they call a "two-piece" - right hand followed through with the elbow. "Mastery," Andre Ward says.

Of course, announcers will say it was accidental. Ain't nothing accidental about hurting your opponent. It's your job description.

It's freakin' combat. And part of the sweet, sweet science. Paulie Malignaggi says part of what makes Miguel Cotto such a great fighter is his ability to be dirty and get away with it.

Let's not forget Mayweather gets fouled -- blatantly -- pretty much every fight by much bigger dudes and never complains about it:

- Canelo tried to injure Mayweather's legs. He also put him in guillotine choke and squeezed HARD, which will render you unconscious in five seconds when applied correctly.

- Cotto for a split second, in addition to his usual filth on the inside, thought it was the Royal Rumble when he tried to hoist Floyd over the top rope. (Floyd landed a few two-pieces of his own with some nice right uppercut/bows.)

- Ortiz butted Floyd several times before the final ram, leaving Mayweather with bumps behind the ear and a badly cut bottom lip through which he could stick his tongue.

- Guerrero held and hit, his bread and butter.

- If we go back a few years, Jose Luis Castillo fouled the entire fight; just about half of the shots CompuBox credited were (borderline) illegal blows in the clinch.

To Floyd's credit, he doesn't bitch about fouls like an Andre Derail or Arthur Abraham does every two seconds. He just goes on about his job.

If the referee doesn't deem the tactics illegal, it's up to the opponent to neutralize the veteran moves. I've seen guys try Floyd's tricks on him and he just neutralizes it or gives his man a different look.

His opponents or their trainers need to come up with answers in the gym or continue getting schooling, cavities and diabetes from a master practitioner of the sweetest of the sweet science.

The Shadow says:

Speaking of Mayweather's mastery, I just heard an interview with Virgil Hunter where he breaks down Floyd's style including the significance of the shoulder.

"It's like a gun," he says. "The biggest mistake you can make is attacking the shoulder. That is what he wants you to do and that is when he becomes dangerous and lethal."

Some really, really insightful stuff. Going to try to find it and post it here.