Robert Garcia Shares On How Maidana Will Aim To Beat Floyd

BY Michael Woods ON April 15, 2014

RobertGarcia 2253d

Lot of people out there thinking he's got to land that lucky punch, that hail mary bomb delivered with bad intentions and a prayer.

Lot of people thinking Marcos Maidana (35-3 with 31 KOs; age 3; on a four-fight winning streak) will be throwing nothing but bombs from second one against Floyd Mayweather on May 3 at the MGM, and on Showtime pay-per-view...but his trainer, Robert Garcia, tells me that isn't so.

Yes, Garcia said during a Tuesday night phoner, Maidana has been training thus far with the intention of throwing about 120 punches a round. But, the Cali based tutor said he isn't encouraging the Argentine to simply go for broke, and be in a feast or famine mode. No, Garcia said, the game plan isn't so simplistic.

"Physically, he's ready. Floyd is a top notch guy, but it's not impossible to beat him. Chino has trained like never before, and he has the perfect style to "climb that mountain." Plus, he's got tremendous heart."

I asked Garcia, in his estimation, how much better Mayweather is than the man so many love to hate, Adrien Broner, whom Maidana upset, giving so many Broner-haters an early X-mas present last Dec. 14, in San Antonio.

30%? 50%?

He didn't bite...But he did say that Maidana will be x percent better on this Golden Boy Promotions card than he was against Broner, if for no other reason than he will have a full camp. For the Broner upset thriller, Garcia and conditioning coach Alex Ariza were working with Brandon Rios, and in Macau with Rios for a spell, meaning Maidana had to work with subs as the Pacquiao-Rios Nov. 24 tangle took precedence. Not so this time. "Chino will be in better shape, better conditioned, to surprise the world," Garcia said.

Maidana has improved in the last couple years, the trainer said, and said that his skills have been upped a notch, but just as important, or maybe more so, his mental game has been upgraded. "I've seen a big difference," the trainer said. "He came to the gym looking to learn. He's still learning. What has he picked up? He's mentally positive for this type of fight. The odds are against him and it helps to be very positive."

And what if Garcia sees Chino getting frustrated, start to back off, get eaten up by the Floyd counters? What can he do to shift the gears? "If he gets frustrate like Canelo? You have to prepare him to get hit...they give up, some of them, when they see they can't do it. They don't follow up. Mentally, they give up. Chino is not going to do that. He will fight to the last minute. He will be ready for those counters, he will be ready to miss a lot and land just one. But we're not training to just land one punch, not training to just to get lucky, not at all." Garcia said that, yes, it's a tall order, but he wants Maidana to seek to win rounds.

Readers, talk to me. If you're Maidana's trainer, what gameplan do you go to war with? I like Garcia's POV on this task. You weigh in; give us the blueprint for Maidana to score the upset of the last few decades.

Skibbz says:

Well Garcia didn't give much away. I don't see Maidana throwing anything close to 120 a round, but let's hope he close to that kinda shape by fight night.

If I were in Robert's shoes, I'd tell Chino to make it every bit that ugly spectacle Floyd hates to be a part of. That'll ruffle some of his feathers and hopefully make him more aggressive. When he's being more aggressive my guy just may have more of a shot than when Floyd is sitting and countering. Last thing Maidana should attempt to do is sit with Floyd, he should just be himself in great shape and go for it. Give him looks, don't get complacent and aim for his joints start trying to break some bones if you can't hit his head.

Skibbz says:

The Shadow says:

That's all he can really do. Hit some joints and hope Fragile Floyd gets injured.

You ever thought about being a trainer?

Skibbz says:

That's all he can really do. 120 punches a round? PRE-POSTEROUS! He tries that, he'll be knock out by the sixth round a la Jesus Chavez, Mayweather's biggest fan.

Hit some joints and hope Fragile Floyd gets injured.

You ever thought about being a trainer, Skibbz?

Never to be honest, although one day I hope to build a boxing gym in the area I grew up in. Might start teaching some youngs pugs a few things but that wouldn't happen any time soon!

deepwater2 says:

Have a meeting with the ref and the commission and warn them about Floyd's forearm shiver . Have one guy in chinos team bother the ref every round complaining about Floyd's forearm . If the ref calls points against Floyd the whole game might change. Floyd took the Philly shell and modified it with that forearm push off . Chino has a small chance, hope he can pull it off. Re watch hatton vs Floyd and count the number of illegal forearms . It might surprise you.

deepwater2 says:

Floyd "Elbow" Mayweather Jr. - YouTube
► 1:19► 1:19
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV_Zal_uEV4

. that's a forearm ...

[QUOTE=deepwater2;49423]Floyd "Elbow" Mayweather Jr. - YouTube
► 1:19► 1:19
[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV_Zal_uEV4

. that's a forearm ...[/QUOTE]

Meh. Who cares. Malignaggi beats them both. #TNKOB

Floyd uses the forearm as a spacing tool. He doesn't use it to throw the elbow.. and he rests it on the collar bone with out applying pressure to the esophagus.
It may be illegal but Floyd's use inui moiof the elbow is so utilitarian and clinical looking that it looks like an official tactic from the Marcus & Queensbury rulebook.

The elbow creates space so Floyd can generate offense against crowding fighters and it has the extra added bonus of keeping heads from clashing.... How often is Floyd the recipient of a head butt?

Even if the ref didn't allow it ... The move isn't critical to his offence.

*sniff sniff*

I smell the stench of hate.

Ali was just as dirty with them bows and grabbing necks like they were chicken legs.

Larry Holmes grabs necks, too, as taught by Smashius Clay.

Mike Tyson, as champion, threw blatant elbows whenever he could. His objective was KILL! "I fear him not even a little bit."

Bernard Hopkins? We already know.

Marvin Hagler would kick you if he could.

Sugar Ray was more like Pepper Ray. He was vicious and would cheat too.

Andre Ward proudly boasts doing elbows, noting that you're doing "what you're supposed to do."

It's within the confines of the sweet science and the science, indeed, is sweet!

As a fighter, you know this and you know this better than I!

*sniff*

*sniff sniff*

I smell the stench of hate.

Larry Holmes grabs necks, too, as taught by Smashius Clay.

Bernard Hopkins? We already know.

Marvin Hagler would kick you if he could.

Sugar Ray was more like Pepper Ray. He was vicious and would cheat too.

As a fighter, you know this and you know this better than I!

*sniff*

[QUOTE=The Shadow;49436]It is the referee's job to enforce the rules. Subtle filth is an accepted and admired form of pugilism. So it has been said by master pugilists themselves.

*sniff sniff*

I smell the stench of hate.

Larry Holmes grabs necks, too, as taught by Smashius Clay.

Bernard Hopkins? We already know.

Marvin Hagler would kick you if he could.

Sugar Ray was more like Pepper Ray. He was vicious and would cheat too.

As a fighter, you know this and you know this better than I!

*sniff*[/QUOTE]

That was so nice that it came twice and I read it thrice. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

I like breaking the bones lol

I also like the jab-hook that Maidana used against Broner

He's got to pump that jab and move to his right.

The Good Doctor says:

If I am Maidana's trainer here is what I do:

1. I will have my fighters jab on turbo. It will be out early and often. The jab is the greatest weapon for someone at a speed disadvantage at which Maidana will be.

2. Up the punch count. 120 a round is stupid but 80 might be a reasonable number and if you are in great shape it is doable. Which brings number three..........

3. Conditioning. Floyd is not going to tire. The only time in the last 10 years I can even remember his mouth being open was against Cotto. I would have my fighter be ready to fight 12 rounds at a break neck pace. I would emphasize that there will be very few times that we are throwing one punch at a time and I would lean more towards 4 and 5 punch combos alternating body and head shots.

4. A lot of mental preparation. I would make my fighter understand that winning this fight is not likely going to be from one great shot or that winning this fight will even be remotely easy. I will make my fighter understand that you may have to win rounds without landing a clean shot, with taking a clean shot, without feeling like you did any damage, or with it being arduous and frustrating to do so. Also remember that although he is great he can be hit. Chop Chop, Castillo, Shane, Cotto, De La Hoya and Zab have proven that. To quote the movie Rocky, [I]He's not a machine[/I]

5. Make it ugly. You guys have explained that well in posts before so I need not beat a dead horse.

6. Get off first. Trying to stand there and find and angle or whole with Floyd is near impossible. Also trying to counter Floyd is a losing proposition. Therefore come out with your guns blazing.

7. After you fire, tie him up and do it properly. Alot of people have tried to tie Floyd up but they fail to do it properly. Shane did this against Margarito and Hop has made a living at it. If you are going to tie someone up you have to get your arms out side of theirs and then try to cross your forearms in an X while holding theirs. Then tuck your chin and roll your shoulders slightly forward. That completely neutralizes any chance of a punch.

8. Lastly, I will take a lesson from the great philosopher of my youth...........................................Rowdy Roddy Piper..LOL!! [I] Roddy once said "Once you think you have all the[/I] [I]answers, I change the questions!!!"[/I] My fighter will have two maybe three distinct gameplans for the fight and here's why. I think the most under reported and under appreciated part of Floyd's skill is his mental acuity to figure a guy out within a few rounds. The only way to challenge that is to change your gameplan once he appears to know how you work. It may be changing stances, it may be starting out all body then moving upstairs or whatever, but the style of my fighter would be extremely fluid. If any of you remember the Colts-Saints Super Bowl, that is how the Saints held Manning in check. They completely changed their defense at halftime and by the time Peyton figured it out again, the game was over.

Is this enough, I don't know but I do believe it is a good foundation.

stormcentre says:

[QUOTE=The Good Doctor;49446]If I am Maidana's trainer here is what I do:

Is this enough, I don't know but I do believe it is a good foundation.[/QUOTE]

That's not bad.

But beating Floyd with the jab, in my opinion, will not work and is a ploy many think will work because - amongst other reasons - Oscar had some success with Floyd (and not necessarily with the jab).

If you look at Hatton, Alvarez, Gatti, even Baldomir.

I see nothing - and I mean nothing - in Maidana that presents Floyd with more than he has dealt with in those guys.

In fact, Alvarez would murder Maidana and Maidana and Garcia (I believe silently) knows it.

This is why even Garcia is not really talking confidently. “Aiming to beat Floyd”.

The Hatton that beat Kostya Tszyu would take out Maidana in my view.

The Alvarez that beat Angulo would take out Maidana in my view.

The Gatti that beat Rualez would take out and/or give Maidana a good run in my view.

Oscar would destroy Maidana.

Zab may not.

I wish I had more time to write on how to beat Floyd (more than I already have [url]http://www.thesweetscience.com/forums/showthread.php?12265-One-Significant-Technical-Origin-Of-GGG-s-Power/page9 ) but the way Paulie fought Broner is a good starting point.
Maidana is nowhere near what it takes to beat Floyd.

I mean no one without quick hand and a defence will beat Floyd. It takes more than stamina and power, Alvarez showed us that.

This fight will require a lot of marketing to get the real boxing purists and followers to be interested and sell, in my opinion.

Not in the least as Floyd - for all his brilliance and dominance - is almost without a real challenge at welterweight and aside from Floyd being no Broner, Maidana is too limited, slow, predictable, susceptible to shots coming in, short and reliant on power; to pose a serious threat.

Oh, did I say he has no defence?

Yes I did.

The Shadow says:

Floyd is Teflon, immune to left hooks. His eyes are the best in the business, perhaps the best of all time (I only see Ali and Rigo being in that league).

The only time I have seen him mis-gauge an incoming hook is to the body, which will only happen once or twice in a fight at most.

I don't care how much Maidana feints a jab to the body only to turn it into a hook last minute. It will not work vs. Floyd like it did vs. Broner. Broner's eyes are not and will never be a good as Floyd's.

Casual viewers will see the stance and think similarity and thus give Marcos Rene a chance.

The only chance he has is in the early rounds as Floyd is still processing data like a computer. Once Floyd figures you out, it doesn't matter if you attempt another game plan or Plan E.

It won't work.

The way I see it, he has only one shot. Top level fighters rarely make the same mistake twice. He needs to catch him with a titanic right hand in the first or second round and take Floyd to a place he has never been before in training.

Where that place is, I don't know. Whether that's stunning him or injuring him, he has to do it.

But Floyd prepares too well and has seen too much.

But back to the punch activity. I think your best, most cerebral point is Maidana having to go in there with the mindset that he will have to win rounds without having success and not letting it discourage him.

Floyd plays so many mind games so mental resilience will be key.

If there's a blueprint of any kind for him to use, it would be Angulo vs. Lara in terms of just going balls to the wall.

So I guess that takes us back to throwing 80 punches per round. He risks getting brutalized but at the same time it's a numbers game.

If he throws that many punches, he at least has a greater chance of one getting through.

Man! Floyd Mayweather is like a damn Rubik's cube.

gelynch52ph says:

Jerry Lynch

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=gelynch52ph;49462][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]In response to a couple of comments I'll say this. When Mayweather fought Ricky Hatton the ref would break the fighters apart every time Hatton got inside and Mayweather tried to clinch. Had Hatton been able to fight his fight it may very well have ended up with a different result. Anyone who doubts me just might watch that fight again, or for the first time, with an eye towards what I just said. If Maidana draws a better ref and is allowed to fight inside he might just have the right tools and game plan to win the fight. I'm hoping so anyway, but in my quest to see a Mayweather /Pacquiao fight I will wait until after the fight and download it for dissection later.[/SIZE]

Jerry Lynch[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that, what I saw in that fight was Floyd beating Ricky Hatton on the inside at his own game. I tri looking for that the last few times I watched it as I heard some complain about the referee breaking them up too quickly.

But Floyd was beating him on the inside rather easily anyhow.

Two posts in three years?! Man! What brings you out Jerry?

The Good Doctor says:

[QUOTE=The Shadow;49455]I like it, Doc. Only problem is, whether he throws 120 or 80, either output will render him bloody, brain damaged and/or unconscious before round nine.

It won't work.

But Floyd prepares too well and has seen too much.

Floyd plays so many mind games so mental resilience will be key.

Man! Floyd Mayweather is like a damn Rubik's cube.[/QUOTE]

Everything you said is correct. I re-read what I posted and I actually think its a great plan but I think the problem is that it doesn't work for Maidana. Maidana's issue may not be a plan, but the actual mental acuity and ability to carry a good one out. I don't think he can. Evidently most of the world doesn't either because the betting lines have reach as high as +950.

stormcentre says:

Jerry Lynch[/QUOTE]

That’s not an entirely unreasonable view Jerry.

Floyd was assisted by the referee in his Hatton fight.

Actually, Floyd is assisted by the referee in most fights, truth be told.

That happens when (effectively) you're the referee’s paymaster and the promoter, main draw card and everything else that matters in not only the fight and promotion - but also boxing.

The real issue is whether what the referee did would have changed the outcome.

I think it would have changed a few rounds at most, as Hatton - for a few rounds - was really having his way a bit there with Floyd.

But, Hatton has no plan “B”. This was proven by how he was unable to change styles afterwards, regardless of trainers.

Look at Collazo and a few other fights he had, particularly those at welterweight where Hatton was simply too short and not powerful and/or adaptable enough.

Mostly though, and exactly as Mayweather said before the fight, Hatton has absolutely no defence.

These 2 (proven) considerations alone meant that Hatton was always going to bowl straight in, get frustrated with any deviation from his expectations, and be open to Floyd’s superior thinking and skills.

As soon as Hatton fought and struggled with Louis Mayweather knew this.

Hatton beat Kostya Tszyu in an excellent display of fighting, but Kostya Tszyu was almost always there in front of him.

As soon as Mayweather had Hatton frustrated and adjusted to his attacking distance requirements, all Ricky could do was lunge and/or come in with no defence. And that was exactly what he did.

Once that happened, the game was - embarrassingly - over.

Hatton beat Kostya Tszyu on raw aggression and stamina (and Tszyu’s wear and tear and inactivity).

Floyd was careful enough to ensure that he didn’t make the same mistake, and he knew that in order for Hatton, particularly his style, to be successful he needed a dance partner.

Problem solved right there.

Don’t give him what he wants and if you can still operate like that, do it.

This is why Floyd often uses defensive techniques as a priority (the opposite of most fighters), pot shots, and takes home the “W”.

Hatton was never going to win.

He may have looked better losing if the referee hadn’t helped Floyd and looked the other way with the elbows and so forth.

But, Hatton too is a dirty fighter. Like Floyd, he often holds, then hits, and he has a few little tricks.

The main problem for Hatton with that loss in my view, was the fact that he talked it up so much beforehand, had half of GB there, and then got beautifully walked into a check-hook that had him kissing the ring-post, canvass and sky, in that order.

That’s why big event and marquee level fighting is the big time.

The public embarrassment of the loss can change fighter’s lives and become a far greater issue than the loss itself.

stormcentre says:

Jerry Lynch[/QUOTE]

Oh, I almost forgot - and I don't want to let you off too lightly . . . . . .

If you have a look at Kostya Tszyu V Hatton you will see a plethora of dirty tactics.

Let’s just for a minute assume I am Kostya Tszyu.

If I were Kostya Tszyu I would know that every time we’re separated I am lighting up Ricky as he comes in with that freckled face. But, his smothering and wrestling tactics I am not used to.

I know Ricky is keeping things on the inside and my inside game slipped a little since JCC, but every time Ricky is in there he’s wrestling, holding and smothering and Parris is doing zip about it.

After the difficulties associated with making weight, all Hatton’s low blows and all the other above-mentioned and questionable tactics are considered; I'm probably getting pretty frustrated with Parris and Ricky.

I know I am dominating Ricky every time we’re separated but those times - thanks to Parris - are becoming less frequent than when I am being wrestled.

At the end of the day I am a pure boxer, not a wrester and I can't fight the referee (Parris) and Ricky.

Still, at the end of the day, the best man won on his own turf that night and I have no regrets.

Watch the Kostya Tszyu V Ricky Hatton fight-video and then tell me that Ricky is not dirty and has the right to call out Mayweather for being so.

deepwater2 says:

[QUOTE=Carmine Cas;49443]I like breaking the bones lol

I also like the jab-hook that Maidana used against Broner

He's got to pump that jab and move to his right.

And Deep made a great point about consulting with the ref prior to the bout regarding the forearm.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Chinos camp should bring an iPad into the rules meeting and the dressing room before the fight. Show video of Floyd's illegal forearm and bring it to light.sound like a broken record. Garcia should also have chino hook the elbow/forearm and pull it forward while shooting low blows on the other side of the ref. it really is the art of war in there. If Garcia can get any advantage he must take it. Floyd is gonna jab that body all night so chino better have counter measures

deepwater2 says:

Jerry Lynch[/QUOTE]

Mayweather highlights or watch that elbow - YouTube
► 5:58► 5:58
[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0qclW1dag8
Feb 25, 2009 - Uploaded by Axtox
Mayweather highlights or watch that elbow.

[QUOTE=deepwater2;49483]Mayweather highlights or watch that elbow - YouTube
► 5:58► 5:58
[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0qclW1dag8
Feb 25, 2009 - Uploaded by Axtox
Mayweather highlights or watch that elbow.
You are right. Watch this clip. You are proven correct without a shadow of a doubt. If anyone can counter this clip with a logical explanation I will be surprised and astounded[/QUOTE]

I'll counter it with a *sniff*

[QUOTE=deepwater2;49483]Mayweather highlights or watch that elbow - YouTube
► 5:58► 5:58
[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0qclW1dag8
Feb 25, 2009 - Uploaded by Axtox
Mayweather highlights or watch that elbow.

I'll counter it with a *sniff*

Its interesting to me that there has been little to no promotion for this fight.. So Im guessing this strategy posted by Garcia is probably designed to encourage support for the premise that Maidana will actually have a winning strategy.

Maidana will follow Floyd like a videogame sprite,.. taking the shortest route possible.
Upon closing the distance he will rain punches down like a meteor shower.

While Maidana usually relies on a seek and destroy strategy...., he does incorporate boxing fundamentals into his attack . But his ultimate purpose is to create chaos and disrupt his opponents rythym with his own special. "Welcome to my World" brand of pugilistic terror.

I like the Good Doctors plan. Its as good a plan hypothetically as anybody is likely come up with... And there have been thousands.

My question is .........."who is going to carry out that plan?"

Make no mistake ... From the opening bell Maidana seeks to do one thing, close the distance, his second objective is to make contact, ....just wanting to touch his opponent.
Thirdly on the list ..... Connect. ......He wants to hit you with a punch thrown from Argentina.

No further complexity needed or taken by the South American Whirlwind.

If that doesn't work he will take a deep breath between rounds .... Bite down hard on his mouthpiece and and just try harder the next round.

Maidana was, is, and ever will be an engine of destruction, cutting a swathe of disruption and chaos to his opponent.

[QUOTE=deepwater2;49483]Mayweather highlights or watch that elbow - YouTube
► 5:58► 5:58
[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0qclW1dag8
Feb 25, 2009 - Uploaded by Axtox
Mayweather highlights or watch that elbow.

Hatton wasn't boxing... He was mauling and brawling.... Utilizing the same king of strategy wounded animals do at the humane society.

The ref had lost control of a very pumped up Rickey Hatton. Floyd was lucky he knew what to do in what was virtually a street fight.

At least thats my humble opinion.... Thanks for the video.

jzzy says:

At some point Maidana needs to attack like he did with Broner, concentrating on a body attack. Hopefully, he watched Bradley's dubious strategy against
Pacman and won't repeat that. But he does need to get Floyd to respect his punch or he's in for a long night.

deepwater2 says:

[QUOTE=The Shadow;49485]I'll counter it with a *sniff*[/QUOTE]

What does that mean?

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=brownsugar;49489]And while Maidana has proven himself to be as worthy a challenger as anyone not named Paquiaou.. He's not going to be following a laundry list of instructions and checkpoint maneuvers if plans A, B, and C aren't working.

Upon closing the distance he will rain punches down like a meteor shower.
I have never seen a fighter point his elbow toward the ceiling and punch straight down on an opponents head the way Maidana does.. he usually follows this up with a left to the body or sometimes to the head to change things up...[/QUOTE]

B, that is a hilarious description of Maidana's overhand right. Because it is so unconventional and unorthodox, it sort of gave the impression -- qua it's effectiveness vs. Broner's defense -- that this is one of the ways you can break that particular defense.

Again, because Broner, at times, will fight from behind the shoulder and primrily defend flurries behind the shoulder/shell, it will give the casual viewer, and maybe even the seasoned viewer, the impression that the elbow-up, punch-down move works.

It doesn't. Here's why.

Like I pointed out in a different post, and also just now, due to the similar stances, it creates the illusion that Maidana can be effective.

Similarities aside, here are three vital differences between the Broner and Mayweather defense that will ultimately make the difference:

1) Eyes. Floyd's eyes are superior. He will see everything coming as he has more hours of repition doing that style than Broner can ever accumulate for the rest of his adult life.

Research shows that you need 10,000 hours of practice before you master any given discipline. Even if he should work out five hours every day on just that one drill for the rest of his career -- highly unlikely.

I honestly believe, in fact I am quite sure, that Mayweather at 12 was better defensively from that stance than Broner is now. Mayweather at 37 with his athleticism intact? No comparison. He will see everything coming and then some.

The eyes are the foundation, which then leads to the next two key differences in the way sequences unfold in practice:

2) Left hook.

Maidana was able to feint and catch Broner with weird left hooks.

Here's how he set up the first knockdown that changed the complexity of the fight:

Jab to the body. Jab to the body. Move around. Jab to the body. (Condition Broner to expect the jab, parry and deflect he jab, leaving him susceptible to feints and new attacks. One rookie mistake defenders make is over committing your parry, allowing the attacker to turn that jab into a hook. It's as intermediate-elementary as it gets.) Jab. Feint. Throw the jab to the body and AT THE LAST SECOND -- as Broner's right hand is down by belly -- turns it into a hook upstairs.

A wonderful setup, yes. But also an exploitation of defensive deficiency -- one Floyd at 16 would never, ever have shown, let alone the Floyd of today.

He doesn't get caught by incoming left hooks by mistake except for the occasional left hook to the body. To the head is a statistical anomaly. (Maidana still must try, though.)

3) The elbow pointer overhand right.

Quite simply, this won't work. Here, the main -- and most glaring -- difference between Mayweather and Broner (or most who try that defense for that matter eg Berto) is that when an overhand right comes, they're suckers for it because you don't really roll an overhand. You roll a straight one.

Lots of people mistakenly think all Floyd does is roll. Couldn't be farther from the truth. Sane Mosley and Sugar Ray Leonard pointed this out in a recent interview as well.

Watch Floyd vs. Baldomir who tried this overhand nonsense repeatedly and then compare Broner. Broner would try to roll from those overhand rights which just gave Maidana a better target. When that didn't work, he would lean, providing an even better target. LOL.

Floyd does one simple thing here: he dips. If he doesn't dip, he ducks. From there, he can counterpunch, pivot out, tie you up or tie you up-punch you in the gut and thereby discouraging this attack.

There are few things more discouraging than being punched in the gut when you least expect it.

In short, Broner would limit his options because he didn't have the necessary experience and know-how to create them. Floyd will not only defend, but he will give himself at least 2-3 options out of every defensive sequence.

Overall, this leads me to the conclusion that what whatever worked vs. Broner won't work vs. Mayweather.

What's really sad is the way in which Maidana will likely lose will minimize everyone's accomplishments:

- Maidana sucks...

- Broner wasn't that good anyway...

- Floyd is a cherry picker, Maidana lost to Devon Alexander... (It's his second unification fight in a row but he's cherry picking the guy fans voted for in the first place. OK, whatever...)

Every man deserves credit here. Maidana is terrorized. Broner is a three-weight titlist. And Mayweather is just that damn good.

The end.

Carmine Cas says:

Maidana is simply outgunned and outwitted here, he's going to need every advantage possible. And the general public is catching on so Floyd is going to need to step up his competition.

I think Max Kellerman hit the nail on the head the other day via ESPN, the pressure is on Floyd now.

deepwater2 says:

[QUOTE=The Shadow;49485]I'll counter it with a *sniff*[/QUOTE]

I will be visiting my old coach and friend at the end of June down in Miami, I say lets do a few rounds of sparring and we can even put the video on here for everyone to see. I think it would be a first for the site. Anyway you can stop by the gym with your coach and check it out. Milton says we can use this gym
1901 NW Miami Ct, Miami, FL 33136
(305) 381-0325
or Miami PAL

Skibbz says:

[QUOTE=brownsugar;49489]Maidana knows he will probably miss the first punch...but once he traps his opponent, Maidana is likely to land the 3rd, 5th, or 6th punch. If his opponent tries to fire back... Maidana answers back with maniacal glee......ecstatic to trade in a gamble that he will get their first.

No further complexity needed or taken by the South American Whirlwind.

I think this will be an interesting fight where Mayweather will go into extermination mode. Maidana is not the kind of fighter you want to let hang around for 12 rounds if you have a better option.[/QUOTE]

I like that post Suges. It's very simple, and to try over-complicate the fight for maidana will have him lose by a wider margin than what most people already presume he will.

He needs to keep his hands high, expect to get hit with fast punches from angles he may not be used to and most importantly make it ugly. Floyd doesn't like ugly. Take note from Bradley's last performance and not go looking for the KO, but instead hope to inflict damage with every punch. Get knocked down? So what. Isn't that what has made Maidana a bigger name, his ability to come back stronger from touching the canvas?

And by going for his joints you won't be scoring, but you will be hurting. We already know Floyd has hurt his elbow in the last fight, so keep banging at the joints at every oppurtunity. The whole body above the waist is a target at the end of the day..

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=deepwater2;49504]Hey thanks for the explanation. I would of thought you would have given 5 links to back up whatever sniff means by now. I never really payed attention to your posts until you said you were going for a national championship. So I though you were dude that was boxing. Either way you have never given an update on your training or your fight schedule so I wonder whats up with that.
1901 NW Miami Ct, Miami, FL 33136
(305) 381-0325
or Miami PAL[/QUOTE]

Ooooohhhhh you want to beat me up now for everyone to see, huh? Nice. Don't get banned again, bro. We'll be calling you DW3.

*sniff*

I'm still training, thanks for asking. Mostly cardio since I'm on the road for reasons I can't disclose here. Been improving my miles, though I don't like running. Working on footwork and coordination as much as I can. Shadowboxing and body workouts daily. I'm down to 145 and my body looks better.

And I appreciate your input and advice. Haven't had a chance to try the tire drill yet but look forward to doing so.

And by the way, aren't you that criminal that almost killed somebody? I wonder what's up with that.

And by the way, isn't it boxing etiquette not to take advantage of those with less experience?

You just sound like the biggest douchebag in the world. Other than that, I'm not going to address or even dignify pseudo-threats from an attempted murderer.

To the rest, sorry guys for the momentary lack of sophistication.

Skibbz says:

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=Skibbz;49518]Calm it lads no good ever came from exchanging heated words on a boxing forum. Jab for laughs but let's not be stepping in behind it eh?[/QUOTE]

Lol I'm not, Skibbz. I'm trying to be civil. Cyber threats are super corny.

If anything, that phone number is going to be bombarded by telemarketers after web scrapers have gotten a hold of it. LOL

deepwater2 says:

[QUOTE=The Shadow;49520]Lol I'm not, Skibbz. I'm trying to be civil. Cyber threats are super corny.

If I have misunderstood and he in fact wants to work with me in my quest, then I'd be honored to jump in the ring with him. In fact, I'd appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. [/QUOTE]

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=deepwater2;49527]You are way out of line. Calling me names and a murderer is low. I asked if you wanted to spar because I will be in Miami. I thought it would be cool if we did and you are acting like a hysterical person. I thought you were training for a national championship why wouldn't you want to spar?.I never said I would beat you up and I never said anything that could be called bullying.. I said we can spar and you and your coach can check it out.Anyway I don't think Mike would ban me for suggesting a spar between two boxers and that you can bring your coach to a public gym near you. Boxers box and spar sorry for the misunderstanding. I take your answer as no. This forum is big enough for both of us so keep your insults and low blows to yourself.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't the one making threats or hurling insults, bro. You know exactly what you said and you know exactly what you meant. Don't backtrack because you calmed down. Just own it, man.

As for the "name calling," I simply responded in kind. No lower blows than what you tried to shoot at me. I have enough material on here to intellectually TKO you from now till the end of time. Please.

You suggested you wanted to beat me up for everyone to see, when you have posted on here that you nearly beat someone to death because you lost your cool.

How else am I going to take it? That you wanted to help me in the quest you just mocked? Come on.

But if you indeed propose a sparring session for the purpose of aiding me in my quest -- and lets face it, how much do you benefit from sparring someone 50 pounds lighter with a fraction of the experience?? -- then I think that was a very nice, considerate gesture.

But based on the context and your antagonistic tone, I HIGHLY DOUBT that was the case.

But if that is indeed what you meant, then I think that was a nice gesture and I would welcome it and appreciate it (so that's a yes, tough guy). I would even take you out and show you Miami. I'm an excellent host.

But just cut the bullsh*t. You know what you said and you know what you meant. You lost your cool. Fair enough. It happens. But don't try to weasel your way out of it. That's so lame.

Anything else you want to say about this, you can message me in private and you and I can deal with it like adults. It's not fair to the rest of the forum. I'm not sure a cyber threat (lol) warrants a phone call but if that is what it takes, I would even do that, too.

The Shadow says:

I also don't want to get hurt

The Shadow says:

What are you guys' prediction for the fight?

Maidana KO? Mayweather TKO? Mayweather UD12?

[QUOTE=The Shadow;49531]That said, if I hurt your feelings, I apologize. Seriously. It's not that serious. And I do want you on my good side because I do appreciate your good boxing-related advice.

I also don't want to get hurt [/QUOTE]

Hehehehe! Chillax, chillax! Where is the chopping axe? Now both of you can team up and do some old skool wood chopping. And get on your fists bopping. Yall know me! I'm down wif O-P-P!

"I also don't want to get hurt" is classic. Holla!

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;49528]Definitely it was a misuderstanding. You need to get more in tune with the boksing moon. He was not trying to be a goon. He was coming down to Florida soon. Boxers are facetious and even sarcastic all in play. So all is okay.

You guys can get on your sparring session and then download it here in the Universe. Nobody is trying to tell anybody that he will be on his last ride -- in a hearse. Hehehe! Holla![/QUOTE]

But realistically, Radam, what does he gain from sparring someone he just dismissed who's 50 pounds lighter with a fraction of the experience?

Based on his tone, did it sound to you like he wanted to do me a favor?

The Commish says:

No way. Ain't gonna' happen.

Maidana may try to throw that many, but, in doing so, is gonna' eat so many counter-shots he'll swearhe is fighting two men.

Can't wait for May 3.

-Randy G.

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=The Commish;49556]Few fighters can consistently throw as many as 80 punches per round. A guy like Leo Santa Cruz tosses close to 100. I see no way Marcos Maidana can come out, against boxing's top PxP fighter, perhaps the greatest defensive fighter in history, and throw 120 punches per round.

No way. Ain't gonna' happen.

Can't wait for May 3.

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

Although I just watched the first two rounds vs Broner. Man, that dude is relentless! And Broner's got some serious heart to be taking that whooping the way he did and still trying to win!

But nope, no 80 punches per round. If he does, it's an early night, by Floyd standards. But then again, if he doesn't he will just get outfoxed.

It is not easy.

[QUOTE=The Shadow;49534]Well if that is the case, then I will buy him a beer, shake his hand, look him in his eyes like a man and tell him I'm sorry for misunderstanding boxing discourse.

Based on his tone, did it sound to you like he wanted to do me a favor?

If that is the case, I would love to!! But if he wants to beat me up, he should at least give me a year to prepare or suggest a setting with more even terms.

I'm not going to talk tough on the Internet, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=nEYH6y6OVv0[/QUOTE]

One time I came into the gym with a 6-foot tall long-legged, big booty blond mamma-jamma. Bad-@$$ hamma!

Oliver McCall was in the ring warming up and talking how he was getting ready to beat up sparring-joke David Bey.

My blondy sweetie started eyeballing O-Mac -- as I called him - in a flirtatious way. He jumped outta the ring, gave his trainer an eye blink and told him to take off the gloves. When the trainer took off the gloves, McCall started screaming that the blondy wanted him.

My grinning, big-teeth arse told him to settle down, because she is my company and just wanted see some boxers. Then dude went off. Picked up a rubbed down/exercise table and threw it down.

He started kicking chairs, medicine balls, gloves and picked up plastic water bottles and started throwing them near the blond. She kept flirting with him and grinning. I was perplexed. Then dude staring tell me that he was going to whup a Pinoy's arse because "da doll wants me, lil' man."

I said "settle down, clown! Why [sic] you tearing up syet and acting crazy, MAN!"

"She's with me," I continued.

She pointed her finger toward him, and said, "The joke is on you, hahaha, while quickly turning her finger to me.

The dame was in on the joke from the jump. But I was such a gigolo-whoring cat for the XX-chromosome type that any nice, fine damsel near the gym was in like Flynn. And after workout I was really to sin.

Serious, true story, The Shadow! In told this whole Universe a quadrillion times that D2 -- actually than deep water -- was a fightah [sic] and new writah [sic] not meaning harm. Get him time, and he will be a communicating dime.

See, The Shadow, a lot of the readers here don't know our small, tight boksing community -- jive, funny, shady, sleazy and a pure paradox.

Newbies still get upset at me for writing in boksing colloquialism. From the jump, they believe that I'm attacking Afrikan-AmerKano or that I'm a wannabe black Kano, because they don't know the origin of boxing slanguage, diction and jive. And that the black fighters who didn't make it big in pugilism went to the music industry with boxing terms. Terms and slangs from boxing is heavily into pop culture.

And D2 is the atypical pug who was jiving about punching anybody to the mug. He would much rather teach and give you a loving-bear hug.

Don't forget how SCLA Ali and I would go after one another. I would tell him that I will be rolling in his hood to pimp punch, and make him make a sandmich [sic], and go and get a bean pie. Holla at my old archives. And don't forget how B-Sug and I would get jiggy with the smack talk. And it is all part of the boksing culture. Holla!

stormcentre says:

The thing is, when you have a defence . . . . one that is as watertight as Floyd’s . . . . .

YOU (usually) chose when the meaningful exchanges take place.

This renders high volume punchers practically useless and embarrassed.

And Maidana, he doesn’t even have a defence - dude doesn’t even move his head.

I doubt he hits any harder than Alvarez, so talk that his power is going to be the big equalizer is, in my humble opinion, rubbish.

Doesn’t mean I don’t respect anybody else’s (opinion) though.

[QUOTE=Radam G;49582]He was straight up jiving and conniving, The Shadow. It is a boksing thing that we talk syet and double jive. It seems real or serious to the guys not in poop of out loop.

"She's with me," I continued.

Serious, true story, The Shadow! In the past, I told this whole Universe a quadrillion times that D2 -- actually than deep water -- was a fightah [sic] and new writah [sic] not meaning harm. Get him time, and he will be a communicating dime.

Don't forget how SCLA Ali and I would go after one another. I would tell him that I will be rolling in his hood to pimp punch him, and make him make a sandmich [sic], and go and get a bean pie. Holla at my old archives. And don't forget how B-Sug and I would get jiggy with the smack talk. And it is all part of the boksing culture. Holla![/QUOTE]

As much as I enjoy watching Floyd fight and do intend to watch this one on may 3rd... I would appreciate a little promotion from Golden Boy.
At least act like you want my cash.
This has got to be the most laid back promotion ever.

[QUOTE=brownsugar;49596]You are crazy RG... Instigating that man like that.... I don't know what the simian premating ritual response was all about... I would assume that homosapians would just ask for a number instead of destroying property... Funny story.[/QUOTE]

Hehehe! The fun in-da-gym craziness of the game's culture never stop or surprises. Ev'ybodee and dey momma are mad crazy wif ' it. Holla!

MisterLee says:

Well, I'd say besides the things people have mentioned, part of Cotto's success against Floyd was because he planted his head right under Floyd's left elbow while they were infighting and in the pocket. This nullified: Floyd's left hook because his head was too close, and Floyd's right cross because his head was too far away from the center line or line of attack. Therefore the only punch that could work with Floyd was a wrapping right hook from an awkward trajectory point. However, DeMarco tried this tactic against Broner but did not anticipate that Broner uses the right uppercut more often than Floyd and thus DeMarco was eating uppercuts that night whereas Cotto was fairly safe in that part of the pocket. Also, another tactic that worked for Oscar agst Floyd and Maidana agst Broner was bringing the overhand right from way up top down on Floyd/Broner's head so it would come over the left shoulder and land.