Arum Steals Show At Final Presser, Aims Barbs At MGM, More

BY Michael Woods ON April 09, 2014

Arum 33783

We are a scant three days out from the most anticipated rematch between Manny "Does He Still Have the Killer Instinct?" Pacquiao and Timothy "I Will Get My Due Respect" Bradley at the MGM in Las Vegas, on Saturday night.

A press conference to get in one more round of hype unfolded at the MGM, and was presided over by promoter Bob Arum, who admitted that promoters often BS, and declare that matches are even-Steven scraps. This time it's different, he said, with Pacman being merely a 2-to-1 favorite. For that matter, the June 7 Sergio Martinez-Miguel Cotto scrap, in NYC, will be a 2-to-1 sort of match, as will the upcoming Juan Manuel Marquez-Mike Alvarado tussle. Arum was on his best behavior, but went into sniper mode at the end, after contemplating holding off. He started a rant, paused, and then said what the hell...he slammed the host building for mistakenly having Floyd Mayweather promo material on display, and compared them unfavorablely to rival The Venetian. Then, he insinuated corruption in other quarters, declaring that no fighter needed to pay to play, and pay an unnamed person to appear on the Pac-Bradley card. Yes, these were heavyweight launches...He then chalked the tough talk up to his age, and drew hearty laughter, if not from MGM bigs, who had to be crimson-faced.

Pacman was his usual classy, understated self. He demurred a call from Arum to give Hillary Clinton an endoresement and said only God knows what will happen Saturday night. The fight will be, he said, "historic." Both fighters see it as an important bout, and it will be entertaining.

Bradley, who Arum said is a pleasure to work with, thanked his wife first for sticking with him through it all. He called the media the "motor" which feeds the fans fight info. Bradley said his hotel room is sweet and was amazed it has stairs. He called HBO "the premiere network," and Top Rank for standing by him, and being loyal to him. He also thanked Team Pacquiao for giving him another shot. He said nobody will be disappointed with this fight; both went through hell to give all a good show, he stated. He looked sharp, in a slick suit and sunglasses, and was the opposite of tight. Bradley asked Arum after if he said all the right things, and Arum asked him why he didn't ask "the man whose pictures are up all over the building" aka Floyd Mayweather "when he's going to fight someone real." Bradley laughed, and said he'd leave that to Bob.

Arum finished with a memorable slam, a double-shot which will go into his broadside Hall of Fame,  at the MGM for having Mayweather posters up, and said the Venetian wouldn't have made that mistake. And that's why the Venetian makes moolah and the MGM struggles to pay its debt. Not content to fire those missiles, he went nuclear, saying that on this card, nobody had to pay off anyone to appear on the card, which can occur on "other networks," and is what used to go down when Frankie Carbo ran boxing. That doesn't fly at HBO, he said. Of, and if his broadsides were too incendiary, so sorry, he's an old guy, whatcha gonna do?

The promoter, before his shredding fest, threw a bouquet at HBO, the platform provider for the PPV card, and said "every single star" in boxing, from Marvin Hagler to Gennady Golovkin and Sergey Kovalev, was developed on HBO. They are five times bigger, in reach and revenue, than any other premium network, he said. He slapped at the "chirpers" who don't agree that HBO is the best.

The promoter said that both fighters have "splendid teams" which bring out the best in their fighter. He brought Pacman trainer Freddie Roach to the mic; Freddie said that the fight is a "must win" situation and "Manny is a hundred percent ready."

Arum brought up Bradley's head trainer, Joel Diaz. Diaz said that his boxer is ready, and he thanked Bradley for believing in him. Both fighters are in tremendous shape, and the fight will be superb, he said.

Follow Woods on Twitter.

deepwater2 says:

Arum is fired up . He sure can drop some bombs . He has a point about Floyd fighting chino . I love watching chino but his chances are slim . The bookies tell the truth 12-1 is not to competitive . If I was Dino I would drop some on chino but don't expect a win. Hbo has been number 1 and will continue to be number 1 for the time being. Floyd gave us a rigged poll . Chino vs khan . How bout Floyd vs PAC ? Floyd should fight the winner of this bout or ggg at 154 . Hey Dino speaking of long shot bets drop some $ against Hopkins

flackoguapo says:

What do you think about John Molina being 7.5 to 1 against Matthyse. I kinda like that bet. But it's just the gambler in me HA.

Im also surprised that Shumenov isn't a heavier underdog

I think Shumenov is a live dog. He is kind of robotic and economical with his punches so I think he will be hard for Hopkins to counter. He also has the punching power to hurt B-Hop if he should catch him. Hopkins if also fighting Father Time. Everyone's number comes up sooner or later.

The Shadow says:

They're over 20 pounds apart. GGG has a title eliminator at 168 on PPV coming up.

I would LOVE to see him vs. both. But PAC is locked. So is Bradley.

We know this.

Who else was available?

More importantly, who else won't be a 10-1 dog?

Arum really need to stop burning bridges like this.

Skibbz says:

The remarks by Arum were understandable and he did what he felt was necessary... It's his show and they got someone else's banner on display... Unfortunately though it really showed how much he dislikes the other network, and with them conducting themselves in the manner in which they have any notions of a cold war thawing up any time soon could be put to bed just as fast.. I'll believe it when I see it.

That's true but I have faith in the older dog to teach Shumenov a few things. Hopkins is fast regardless of his age, and he knows where to hit you with his punches. He's in great trim already and he's been working on Shumenov's head since the bout was signed. Too much of a rough road veteran to count him out before he's in the ring for me.

flackoguapo says:

I would LOVE to see him vs. both. But PAC is locked. So is Bradley.

We know this.

Who else was available?

More importantly, who else won't be a 10-1 dog?

Arum really need to stop burning bridges like this.

Only real option would be Cotto! And that's IF he beats Martinez...

You are right, and I'm not counting Hopkins out. He may do his thing where he poses, feints, moves, clinches, then throws a few punches and con his way to another UD. He picked this guy to fight for a reason. I'm sure he knows what he is doing.

Skibbz says:

Only real option would be Cotto! And that's IF he beats Martinez...

Cotto had little chance the first bout, and would have a lesser chance in the rematch in my opinion. I think Martinez is gonna put him to sleep too.

I say Thurman for Floyd, he's ready to dance and the fight would make him a PPV star afterwards for sure.. They can do away with Broner. If not Thurman, there's always Khan because he'll be punching, he's lightning quick and he's hungry.

flackoguapo says:

I like Thurman vs Floyd, but I don't think he would be anything less than a 10-1 underdog after his last fight being against JSK. I just want to know why they are matching Thurman up so soft? I want to see Thurman fight someone with some footwork and good foot speed.
Canelo, who is way more of a money-maker than Thurman, has had stiffer competition. Not taking anything away from JSK, but he isn't the dude that gets you ready for Mayweather IMO. Maybe his team knows his weaknesses or he's a beast and it's just Haymon getting him that sexy 'easy money'

Skibbz says:

Who knows what Haymon has planned for the world of boxing, all we can be sure of is that with him at the helm the best won't be fighting each other. A's will fight B/C's. B's will fight C's. The occasional A/A - B/B match up will be made only once both fighters have done their round of duck walks.

flackoguapo says:

EDIT: how's it going with the all those fights, are you still going through the list? I watched Kostya Tszyu vs Sharmba Mitchell I & II last night. Hadn't seen them in a while.. Two great fighters and an interesting match up makes for a very nice watch, although one of the guys doesn't stop moaning about his knee....... (in fact he never did).

I really like Thurman but I buy what they're selling once I see them in with a top level guy. I'm a tough customer I guess, maybe even a "bandwagoner" to some. He does look good fighting, but I don't have enough knowledge to grade fighters with what seems to be sub-par and B- competition.

I have been stuck on Aaron Pryor vs Alexis Arguello. I have easily watched that fight 15-20 times now. I still don't believe that fight is real lol.

Arum is going to hunt us down. We are talking about 'you know who' on a Arum thread.

deepwater2 says:

Arum will be fine. Schaefer takes just as many shots against arum. Arum has close ties with Sheldon Adelson who runs Vegas and Macau and USA politics. Sugar ray Leonard fought Donny Lalonde , Hopkins fought Tarver , Spinks moved up, Mickey walker fought heavyweights as a middle, Ect ,ect,ect . As an all time great Floyd should have no problem meeting ggg at 160 . Floyd should also fight PAC for the most money ever but......Ward would go down to 160 for Floyd . If Floyd is the greatest I want to see the greatest take a big risk .

deepwater2 says:

I think Thurman's got the goods to give Mayweather the best fight other than Pac. When he got into his rhythm against JSK he was landing some very classy shots, particularly the upper cuts that caught him. A few guys with great knowledge of the sport reckon Thurman is an elite level fighter, he just has to prove it in the ring when opportunities arise.. I'm expecting him to do what Porter couldn't and that's stop Diaz within 4.

Good post

flackoguapo says:

If Floyd were to fight those fights (Pac,Ward,GGG) his body of work would beat Pacs IMO. Doubt that any of those fights happen though. I would die a happy fan if they did

deepwater2 says:

I agree Floyd gets mythical status if he fights ward or ggg . I don't even think he'll fight Lara to be honest . Saying he will never do business with arum as an excuse to not fight PAC is lame.

Carmine Cas says:

Floyd's body of work is the same as Pacquiao's if not better, but I do concur on fighting GGG, Pac, Ward.

Just like Leonard, Hearns, Duran, and Hagler, they all fought each other, now they were much closer in weight but if Floyd fights a GGG and Pac that will do his legend wonders. Ward is a long shot IMHO

The Good Doctor says:

Gotta take a little bit of the other side on this one. I think Pac's body of work is much better than Floyd's. Now if you mean recently like in the last three years, I would give the nod to Floyd. However, I don't think Floyd has enough to measure up to 4 fights against a good to great Marquez, 3 fights against a good Morales, 2 against Barerra, Clottey, and an often forgotten Ledwaba. Ledwaba was a bantamweight champ who was 33-1 before Manny and was KO'ing everyone before he met Pac. Pac beat the brakes off of him and he then lost 4 of his next 7 fights.

Outside of Chico, a much liver than we thought Cotto, a young Canelo and late 30's Shane who was good but not what he was, I don't see much on Floyd's resume. I still think Floyd mashes Pac if they fight though.

flackoguapo says:

Barrera, Morales and especially Marquez all have better skills than the very missed and loved warrior, Chico Corrales. I give Floyd a lot of credit for taking that fight because Chico was so much bigger than him.

The Shadow says:

I think Turman gets SMOKED by Floyd Mayweather. I don't even see him enduring Trout, Lara or Canelo. He's still developing, considering the end destination they have in mind for him.

The Shadow says:

I think it's easier to dismiss a guy's perceived level of competition when he hasn't really been tested.

Marquez was a marvelous fighter when he fought Floyd. He's actually one of my favorite fighters, and was my favorite until recently. Just not on Floyd's level.

I think you accumulate more equity when you take a few bruises along the way. Seems to give the impression that you overcame more challenges to get it.

But like the saying goes, the more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle.

Big Floyd ran his son like a machine and he has somehow kept that work ethic to this day.

Arum is always entertaining, sometimes his rants come out of left field, sometimes they are on point. He's lived his life in the limelight and is most comfortable in front of large audiences where he holds court like the Grand Duke of Boxing... if he infact does have the life expectancy of a normal human he will be missed when he's gone. I remember Arum best for replacing the viper-like Don King as the most successful promoter in the business... If he wants to rant in his old age... let him. Seems justified in this case.

it's amazing how this fight (Bradley/Paq) has exceeded expectations as far as interest is concerned. Bradley's denial regarding their first encounter and his hubris in calling Manny a "Shot" fighter with no killer instinct, coupled with Manny's lower profile hands-on-the-grindstone ("I let Roach Do the Talking") approach has made this a must see event,... I predict a minimum of 1.5 buys. And Oddly enough I think it will be entertaining while it lasts. Don't miss it.

I'm surprised Mayweather, GBP (whose latest challenge has been all but forgotten in recent events) hasn't begun the prefight hype train. Those butts won't find their way to their seats (and PPV menu's) all by themselves. .....I don't want to be the only customer on PPV.

Speaking of Hop... I am loving the upcoming fight with Shumenov... Shumenov is a strong, robust fighter who seems to get stronger as he finds his rythym and typically goes deep into the well in all his fights. BIG BIG HEART...... This will be a difficult fight for BHop. don't take anything for granted. And if Bernard wins, life only gets more difficult with the likes of Stevenson and Kovalev lurking on the horizon. If BHOP could pull that off, if would be the most amazing run in boxing. Sadly,... I don't think it'll happen.

The Good Doctor says:

I think what you say is true but if you scrutinize Floyd's competition, it has been lack luster until recently despite the fact he is that good. I think Marquez is a bad example. Although Marquez did issue the challenge, he fought a blown up lightweight and didn't make weight for the fight. I love Marquez too, but when I saw him 3 days before the fight, I knew he had no chance.

The Good Doctor says:

100% Agree. Thurman may be ready someday, but it is not today. Jumping from Diaz and Soto Karass level fighters to Floyd is a bit much

jzzy says:

Tell it like it is Bob. The Mayweather gang pulled off a masterstroke by monopolizing the advertising space and paid a pretty
penny, their fight is a tough sell because Maidana isn't viewed as competitive, then pick tougher opponents fellas. At this stage
of his career, Pacman should take his show on the road to the highest bidder, perhaps Dubai or Macau or the Venetian. This is
just another salvo in boxing's Cold War. Who wants to keep fighting in the same tired venue anyway.

The Commish says:

Ya' just gotta' love Marsa Bob. Does it surprise you that he said what he said? It shouldn't. Instead of saying the same 'ol things ("Pacquiao is in great shape," "Bradley is in great shape," "Both guys are coming to fight" and blah, blah, blah, he unleashed his venom. Remember, even old rasttlesnakes still have plenty of venom!

He sunk his venomous fangs into so many, mostly his friends at the MGM. Thankfully, as they constantly work with a poisonous snake, MGM execs have large quantities of anti-venom serum and survived Arum's vicious attack.

Of course, when he was done, Arum blamed it on his being old and crotchety. The thing is, he has always been like this!

-Randy G.

admin says:

Are the planets shifting?? Me n Deep, so in sync! I have been roundly ridiculed in the past for suggesting the Best of His Era Floyd make the leap to fight Ward, mebbe at a catchweight (163?).....Next time I float that, i will call on Deep when reinforcements are called for! ---EM

deepwater2 says:

Actually in a rare cosmic event the earth ,the sun and mars are in alignment this week. In another rare cosmic event on the last day of the Roast is a blood moon. The moon will turn red on April 15th

A blood moon huh? Remind me to talk about the bloodiest fights that night. I'll make a note of it. Hagler-Hamsho 1 comes to mind first for me, and then that gash on Valero's forehead. Its got to be endless!

deepwater2 says:

Any Vito Antuofermo fight will do

Any Vito Antuofermo fight will do

Yeah Vito really could bleed! No more, save it 'till closing night.

Boxing as it relates to the Power Cosmic.....can't touch that one.

Sure you can BrownS, let your mind wander a bit. There was probably a blood moon that night in Tokyo when Buster KOed Iron Mike. A career underachiever puts it all together for one magical night and pulls off the biggest upset of all time. Someting cosmic going on there. Didn't the Silver Surfer weild the Power Cosmic? Now I might be reaching...

Lol....so Roast knows Marvel....that was a Galactic reach of intuition.

Lol....so Roast knows Marvel....that was a Galactic reach of intuition.

Hell yeah I know Marvel. I was a kid in the 70's!