Golovkin Trainer Sanchez Says Golovkin-Chavez Jr Is His "Dream Fight"

BY Michael Woods ON March 22, 2014

abelSanchez 24df2

This year in boxing has gotten off to a pretty underwhelming start, hasn't it? The top ten pound for pound types either haven't fought yet, or weren't overly thrilling when they gloved up. There are probably a half dozen reasons why this first quarter has underperformed, and if I had to choose one main reason, I'd blame Floyd Mayweather. (Ha, you #BoxingHeads thought I was going to #BlameBob? LOL.) No, I think that "Money" has siphoned much of the oxygen, and a lot of the attention and man-hours of many folks who we entrust to put together the fights that thrill and entrance us.

Hopefully, now that Floyd has his "next" sorted out, the matchmaking will pick up, and we'll doing less autopsying and more rhapsodizing in the coming months.

Here's a bout that will entice and likely will be among the top five most watched scraps of the year, if it gets made: Gennady Golovkin, the 160 pound champ, the Bieber-faced "Good Boy" who is seeking to transition from cult fave to that sort of guy who is recognized outside the circles us degenerates traffic in, against the son of the legend, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., the one-man reality show who is a news maker before during and after his bouts, whether it be for toking, or scoffing at the arcane tradition of making weight, or looking to land jaw-breaker hooks to every guy he steps in with.

I checked in with Golovkin's trainer, Abel Sanchez, for a report on how the kid is doing emotionally--his dad died last month, and he postponed an April 26 HBO date to help his mom during a difficult time--and if indeed Golovkin will tangle with Junior this summer.

"Is that fight next? I hope so," Sanchez told me. "Gennady's promoter Tom Loeffler and Chavez' promoter Bob Arum are trying to put the finishing touches on it. I believe it will be pay per view."

I told Sanchez a theory, that the stakes of this one, it being a PPV, against Chavez, who is one of the five biggest names in the biz, and a legit ratings-puller, could well push Golovkin more than ever before. "We haven't seen close to what he's capable of if motivated by a challenge."

The bout would indeed be at 168 pounds, a step up for GGG, but Sanchez said he'd take care of business versus Junior, and then hop back down, and likely aim to unify at 160 pounds. "The Chavez fight is my dream fight," Sanchez said, "and I think the styles will make for a memorable fight."

Chavez has a stern chin, maybe the best of any Golovkin foe to this point, no?

"Absolutely, if he has anything like his fathers' chin, GGG will have to work for his 17th straight KO. We will be witnesses to a great fight."

So, are you saying that Junior will be a super tough test for Golovkin? Could this bout be a tougher challenge than the die-hard 'Golovkin is God' squad are saying it will be? "Only because Chavez Junior will take more beating," the trainer said. "I hope he has a smart corner, because Golovkin could cause some severe permanent damage."

Sanchez repeated his belief that his kid will down down as "one of the greatest fighters" of all-time, but he acknowledged that Chavez does possess a couple attributes. "He poses some threats, but in order for Golovkin to make his mark he has to fight those that are considered a threat. His size at fight time will be hard to deal with."

Sanchez said Gennady is improving emotionally following the death of his dad. He and his twin bro Max have been there for their mom, who had to deal with the heart-break of two older brothers passing away years back, as well. "We hope to take Gennady to the Pacquiao-Bradley fight," Sanchez said.

I've never hid, or hope I didn't, that I like what Golovkin represents to the sport. Talented person, and by all accounts, a more than decent human being. I see him as a credit to boxing, and root for him to weather this storm, and get back to where he's able to get into a flow, and be master of his domain. I'm not of the camp who sees him doing a quickie demo job on Junior, and am right there with Sanchez, noting that Junior will be a comparative hulk on fight night. Talk to me...let's assume this deal gets hammered out shortly...Will Junior be Golovkin's toughest out? Is the vaunted Golovkin power going to be present at 168? Weigh in, in our Forum!

The Shadow says:

With a track record of tacos, Tecates and trees, there is one thing we can conclude for sure:

JCC a straight chiller.

And that will be the difference.

The Shadow says:

Too much weed, not enough speed.

Too much cannabis flower, not enough Chavez power.

Too much Cheech, not enough to teach (since he has no trainer and likes to get in shape in his living room, probably after "meditating.")

Too much weight, GGG in 8.

Y'all see where I'm going with this, right....?

Hehehe! Nice rhyming. I like your timing. Holla!

Great matchup, GGG beats him one way or another but Jr is a big dude, can take a shot, can take punishment without a hitch.

I can see it going the distance with GGG taking a wide decision. As tough as Jr is he is just a level below GGG in every category.

Grimm says:

Jr won't be hard to find. Great chin or not, GGG should batter his midsection to a midrounds stoppage.

deepwater2 says:

Ggg might make jr a " good boy " . One thing about jr is he fills a lot of seats

riverside says:

I doubt the fight will be made, jr will get ko in brutal fashion, GGG is like 10 levels above Vera. Chavez jr camp will come up with some ceiling fan fell on top of my head story, or saying that i can fight at 175 lbs, so can be around 210 on fight night.

The Shadow says:

It's gonna happen.

flackoguapo says:

I just want to see how long a motivated, in shape Chavez Jr, lasts with GGG. It's not GGGs fault he can't be considered elite yet. This Chavez fight can get him most big fights where he is worth the risk if he wins IMO.

I sparred a past his prime, former champion 3 summers ago. And he lost to Chavez in Mexico back in 2008 or 09. Anyway, he told me he was getting the best of him until the he felt his eyes stinging and burning during the 5th round! Fight got stopped and he took the L. He isn't my buddy or anything so I can't say if he was keeping it real or not. Just a sparring tale I'd like to throw out there to the infinite pile of "true" ones!

The Commish says:

If GGG really wants the fight, I think it will happen. But at what weight? 165? I can see JCC coming in at 168 and saying he could not get down any lower, then pay a $100,000 fee to GGG. The next day, he'll refuse to get on the scale, but you just know he's somewhere in the ballpark of 190lbs., while GGG is no more than 170.

Won't matter. JCC will get cut up three different ways by GGG: Wide, deep & often.

Good fight for GGG. Fun fight for us to watch.

-Randy G.

The Shadow says:

Good fight for GGG. Fun fight for us to watch.

-Randy G.

Arum says 168 and Chavez agrees!

It won't matter anyway, GGG is known to overpower cruiserweights in sparring with relative ease. That's with big gloves on, pushing them back and hurting them.

Don't think size will matter much. Even though we can pretty much expect Julio weighing 185 or more.

Speaking of weight, I will "weigh in" on your weight thread topic, too!

Skibbz says:

I agree with Riveside, I don't think Chavez has a chance. GGG will rip vicious shots to the body and slam home stiff ones up top. Don't see it going the distance, unless GGG isn't on top form..

Carmine Cas says:

I like GGG in this one, he looked sparring against Julio as well.

Jr. probably thinks he can overpower Golovkin here but GGG is privy to Chavez' tactics and beat him up on the inside

The Commish says:

I think JCC will get beat, but he'll make it interesting on his way to defeat. In this one, I gotta' feel that GGG's chin is gonna' get tested early. But so is JCC's chin.

Impressive win for GGG here which'll have us all talking about the fight moments after it ends right here.

-Randy G.

That giant head of Jr's will get knocked around worse than a pinata at a birthday party. If the ref doesn't stop this fight too early Chavez will end up looking like the Elephant man. He has no chance.

I guess I got onto this thread a little too late, there's nearly nothing else left to say that hasn't already been said. and virtually no one to argue with...as the verdict is nearly unanimous,.............. GGG's got this.

The Commish says:

Do you think this "sparring partner" was inferring or making a claim that the JCC Jr. corner put/rubbed anything on JCC's gloves in order to impair the vision of the "sparring partner," who claimed he was getting the best of the unbeaten and fast-rising star?

Nothing, by the way, would surprise me. Not in Mexico, not in the USA and not in any jurisdiction. I just am curious where the "sparring partner" was going with that story.

-Randy G.

The Good Doctor says:

You hit it on the head deep. Jr has drawing power even if he is an average fighter. I am sure that GGG is motivated to make this fight because he will get great exposure and feels like its one where he could dominate and become a household name.

The Commish says:

I feel that with proper preparation, JCC Jr. is more than an average fighter. He is not his father, but I believe he's more than average. He has a solid chin, and that chin will indeed be tested against GGG. But I can see GGG getting hit as well, especially in the early going of the fight.

And you are so right, Good Doc...this one can indeed make Gennady Golovkin a household name. And for those who have trouble pronouncing Gennady Golovkin correctly, they will indeed all remember Triple G.

-Randy G.

GGG is a straight killer and nothing Jr can do will stop him. Jr can come in at 195 and he is still getting beat to a pulp.

Watch GGG's fights, most guys are on the run after a round and are fleeing from the punishment. Jr won't have the gas or footwork to keep GGG from shooting torpedos and rockets into his body and head.

Get Smoger to ref this fight.

The Good Doctor says:

-Randy G.

Interesting take on Jr, Commish. Outside of his chin, which is above average, I don't see anything real redeeming about him. You could maybe give him the attributes of his strength and size but even then I am just lukewarm on him. I am forever the fair boxing connoisseur, so I do not stick to my opinions just because they are mine. What are you seeing in Jr that makes him more than average in your eyes?

flackoguapo says:

That's exactly what he was trying to tell me, Commish. Said JRs gloves had something on em' that made his eyes burn and sting BAD! He also said he knew it was going to be one of 'those' because of his purse size.I don't have enough inside knowledge to back him up or not... But that's the story.

TingsSproledo says:

This is a GREAT fight.

GGG is the real deal, but he's feasted mostly on 154-pound fighters. Chavez is bigger than everyone GGG has faced and bigger than GGG himself. Moreover, he's got a granite chin and does well when fighters stand in front of him like GGG will.

Chavez Jr. is a solid A minus fighter when his head is on straight. He's gigantic, fights in a good style and will really test GGG.

This is totally PPV-worthy and could turn out to be the fight of the year!

jzzy says:

It's easy to take cheap shots at Junior, some of them no doubt well deserved considering his past behavior. Maybe my instincts have been dulled from decades of imbibing a certain frothy beverage, but I believe a motivated Chavez Jr. can give GGG all he can handle and possibly derail that
train. GGG has feasted on easy targets who wilted when things got uncomfortable and barely mounted an attack. Chavez Jr. has a great chin and is
not afraid to return fire in the trenches. The maturation process may finally kick in when Junior realizes this is a career defining fight and rise up to
the challenge.

Skibbz says:

If that proves to be the case Jzzy then I think anyone who tunes in will be in for a real treat. He inherited his father's chin, but that's about it. I wonder what Sr would think of him if he wasn't his son. Now I don't mean that in a nasty way but his father would have ran laps around him all day in the gym in his youth... He's seemingly finally making some progress with respect to his discipline and overall fitness, but GGG puts in the work day in day out no matter who he's scheduled to be facing, and that'll be a major factor on the night of the fight in my opinion.

No doubt C Jr will be game, but there are some shots that will render you unable, atleast till the count's over..

@Tings, good shout on FOTY.. if it's a 12 rounder I think it could be a real contender!

deepwater2 says:

Chavez has decent skills but even his father gets mad at him for not training right. I give Chavez credit . He fights. Makes no excuses.he will make it a good fight and give ggg some good work