My Two Cents On What Should Be Next For Danny Garcia

BY Michael Woods ON March 21, 2014

Danny-Garcia 64423

I am today more curious to see what is next for Danny Garcia than I was before he met Mauricio Herrera in Puerto Rico, and bumped up, one could argue, against his limitations.

Right away, let me get this out of the way, I was one of the majority of folks who thought Herrera, the aptly nicknamed "El Maestro," deserved the W against the Philly-based hitter who was looking to grow his fanbase by snagging some of those impassioned fightwatching Boricuas. Herrera simply boxed masterfully, and in my eyes, his superiority as a ring tech overrode the supposed edge in power punches enjoyed by the WBA and WBC 140 pound champ.

Before that scrap, I checked in with Showtime boxing boss Stephen Espinoza, and asked about what could come after Herrera for Garcia, assuming he won. What about it, I asked, if Garcia wins, the rumor mill says he will let the New Yorker Gabriel Bracero have a crack at his crowns. True or false?

"I've heard that name as well," said Espinoza. "And I've heard Danny talk about unifying titles, which is one of his goals. There's a lot of good fights ahead of him. Whether it's Lamont Peterson, or someone else, there's a lot to do with Danny still. Bracero is a great story, and it's also pretty tempting to unify the titles, and Philly-DC is a great rivalry, so Lamont-Danny would be an interesting matchup too."

My take: If I'm Team Garcia, I would strongly consider Bracero next. Why? Because he should be an easier out than Peterson. And that fight does bangup business at Barclays Center, which has been hospitable to Garcia, and will fill with a few thousand Bracero rooters on fightnight, much as it did with Luis Collazo rooters on Jan. 30, when Collazo upended the favored Victor Ortiz. Bracero is a solid boxer, but likely not on par with Herrera, and his power is of the sort that Garcia likely won't be put off trying to land his left hooks. If I'm Team Garcia, and promoter Golden Boy,  for Danny's confidence, I want to get him back on the winning track, and that seems to be a surer bet with a Bracero fight.

Bracero (23-1 with just 4 KOs; age 33; born in Puerto Rico, grew up in Brooklyn, lives in PA; beat Dmitriy Salita in last outing; promoted by Lou DiBella), for those that don't know, is an exemplification of why boxing is a net positive for society. His trainer, Tommy Gallagher, will tell you that Gabriel has a deep well of darkness in him. That darkness ran rampant, and spilled over into polite society, when he was younger, and couldn't rein in his emotions. He lived a street thuglife, carried guns and used them. He was locked up for it. He was released, and for the last few years, boxing has been his reason for living. Faced with limited choices, he has chosen, every day, to go to the gym, work toward a goal, and not wreak havoc on his hood. Boxing has been his reason for being, and from getting to know the kid a bit, I can assure all this: he will train his tail off to beat Danny Garcia (age 26; 28-0 with 16 KOs), and even if his face sprung twenty leaks on fight night, he wouldn't dare consider quitting.

Would he be favored to beat Garcia? In no way, shape or form. But this I promise...he'd put up a helluva fight, and it would be a fan friendly scrap, well worth the money Showtime would out up for it.

That's my two cents.

Follow Woods on Twitter at https://twitter.com/Woodsy1069. Email is MJWoods99@aol.com.

SouthPawFlo says:

Danny G should Face Peterson Next, that fight would Sell out Anywhere from DC to NYC.. That way He'll Unify 140

Then

Move to 147, Face the Paulie vs Shawn Porter Winner in the Winter get that belt, by that time he'll be what 29-0 and in a Prime Position to Fight Mayweather next May...

Nobody has faced more top guys than Danny G, so his resume alone would get him the Mayweather fight. (Assuming he wins the aforementioned fights.)

deepwater2 says:

Skibbz says:

I think Danny would beat Peterson and it would be a big draw for sure. But I think D2's right, he has to give Mauricio a rematch, especially if he ever wishes to fight back in Puerto Rico again.. Kell Brook DSG could be one for the future..

I don't know what Danny's weight situation is but if he moves up, I think it would be a mistake to fight anybody in the top 5 for his first bout. Danny is not A Huge 140 pounder, he'd have to start closer to the bottom or middle of the pack at 147.

Skibbz says:

The public these days think that moving up in weight classes is a piece of cake... Most of that is thanks to the p4p legends still current in boxing like pac or mayweather doing it with such ease, but B level fighters like Garcia will only get shown up when they try their hand at it too soon. Before his fight with Herrera, maybe he could have convinced a few people he was ready to move up and fill those 147 shoes... but I think he'll be in for a nasty surprise especially if he angles for a big name fight. I think a really interesting and relevant fight at 147 would be Garcia Khan II.. I'd go with Khan again on that one. Would be nice to see how he does vs Berto at 147 too.

Agreed... Robert Guerrero also comes to mind.

The Shadow says:

B Suge, he's actually a massive 140 pounder. Right now, he probably weighs more than Bernard Hopkins. http://www.fighthype.com/news/article12857.html

The difference is his opponents would be bigger so he should probably feast on some of those other guys who moved up like Guerrero - a good fight - or Maidana.

As for what El Maestro should do, he should start talking the most epic, outrageous sh*t and proclaim himself the real champion with a straight face while "granting voluntary defenses" to everyone from Deontaye Wilder to Ivan Calderon.

The article says Danny is nearly 170... unfreakin believable... I still don't thank he's ready to fight a champion at that weight.
But he doesn't look anywhere that big on TV... Thanks Shadow. Should done my research ( damn you lol)

DaveB says:

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=deepwater2;46443]How come Hopkins and Garcia can't fight in Philly ? Woods sounds like a crafty promoter . Smart fight low risk for Garcia . I say Garcia should rematch Herrera in Vegas or ac . He will lose fans respect if he doesn't right that wrong .[/QUOTE]

DC was the only thing available for Hopkins on that date. Barclays was taken and Atlantic City wasn't available either. They're supposedly bringing him back to PR next time out.

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=DaveB;46505]There are no venues for boxing in Philly. With the Blue Horizon gone there are no Philly cards. I would love to see boxing there. It is a sports town but not for boxing.[/QUOTE]

The Good Doctor says:

[QUOTE=The Shadow;46507]Right, they mostly stage in Atlantic City, which is like 60 miles down the road from Philly anyway.[/QUOTE]

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=The Good Doctor;46509]Doesn't that seem strange when you say it out loud? When you consider how rich boxing is in Philly, you would think they would at least have a 4 or 5 thousand seater for pugilism.[/QUOTE]

Very strange!

deepwater2 says:

Why not the wells Fargo stadium where the flyers and 76's play ?

Skibbz says:

Cheese steaks and a mean left hook is what I think of when I think of Philly.. In that order too..

The Commish says:

I am another who follows Editor Mike's thoughts on Gabriel Bracero. Nice build-up. Exciting, tough fight. Fan friendly. Competitive. Story lines all over. Garcia wins, but don't count out Bracero.

I'm in. Just hope it's not on a Friday, when I have to be in studio for my show.

-Randy G.