Freddie Roach On Manny's Mindsight For Bradley Rematch: "NO MERCY"

BY Michael Woods ON March 18, 2014

Freddie-Roach-Manny-Bradley 60bcb

A jam-packed work schedule is how he likes it these days, so the only nod Freddie Roach made to St. Patrick's Day was wearing a green t-shirt.

Coach Roach has Manny Pacquiao at the Wild Card, and Monday was not a party day, no time was set aside for indulgence, he told me on a Tuesday phoner.

He splurged, he said, with some pizza, and I joked that perhaps he ordered it a la vodka sauce, to give a nod to the libationary mode some folks enjoy around that holiday.

Roach chuckled, still on somewhat of a high from last week's visit from another Hall of Famer from another realm, folk/rock icon Bob Dylan. "I asked him how his gym in Santa Monica is doing," Roach informed me. "And I told him I am friends with Bruce "The Mouse" Strauss, an old bodyguard of his."

Roach said Dylan wasn't excessively chatty, and he later learned why. "He called me later, and apologized," the trainer said. "There was a camera guy following me, and Dylan is kind of camera shy."

Roach and I thundered at the kids of today, for not knowing who Dylan is, sounding like two old cranks. But the Pacman, they all know. And, Freddie says, this 2014 version is looking sharp, and his motivation is sky-high heading to the April 12 battle with Tim Bradley, which screens on HBO PPV. He's not tangled up in any blue period, getting nostalgic for days gone by, when maybe it was a tiny bit easier to get up for those 5 AM runs. Nossir...

Pacquiao (55-5-2 with 38 KOs) has been handling his five sparring partners well, and opening up, and laying a bit of a smackdown on them at times, Roach reported. Stevie Forbes has been giving the Congressman good looks, approximating Tim Bradley's style well, he said. This time, unlike in 2012, "Manny will fight three minutes of every round," he said. "Last time he fought the last minute. If he uses quick combos for three minutes, I don't think Bradley can hold up. He's taken a lot of punishment. He will stop him. He fought against Ruslan with a concussion, fer chrissakes. That can't be good for you. I think when Manny pushes him, he will knock him out.

"Manny knows he has to be more aggressive this time than last," he continued. "He does have it in him."

I challenged Freddie, noting that we've heard contentions that the KO will come before, and I wondered how and why it will be different this time. "I thought he should have knocked Bradley out last time, but through six rounds, it was so easy, Manny started coasting. That's not gonna happen this time."

Yes indeed, Freddie is sounding like Pacman will notch the first stoppage since 2009 (TKO12 of Miguel Cotto in November of that year). "We thank Bradley for that killer instinct comment," Dedham Freddie said. "Manny said to me, 'Can you believe he said that to me?' Manny is really motivated to knock this guy out. We're not going in looking for the KO, but if it comes, and we have the opportunity to hurt him, we will finish him off. No mercy."

gibola says:

Freddie Roach says the same thing before every Pacman fight, THIS time it'll be a KO, we've got the old Manny back, etc. Nobody listens anymore Freddie. You'd be better off keeping your mouth shut and showing Bradley respect. Any win against Bradley is a good win, a KO would be an unlikely and unexpected bonus.

Skibbz says:

I agree it's unlikely that the steel jawed lion hearted Bradley will stay down for a 10 count, but if there's anyone who can do it it's Pacman. Let's remember that this isn't the same Bradley who faced Pacquiao last time they met. He has fought and beat two very tough customers in Provodnikov and Marquez, but how much have those two fights taken out of him? Pacquiao had a smoother night versus Rios and will be determined to prove he is still the king of the jungle.. Bradley in my opinion still has a chip on his shoulder no matter what he tell's himself or everyone else... He has more to prove in my opinion but the problem this time is that his foe will be more aggressive then the last time they met, and he won't want to leave it to the honesty of the judges...

Skibbz says:

Roach in the LA times on Bradley;

"For Bradley to say ‘Manny doesn’t have the hunger anymore and it’s never coming back,’ and ‘Manny no longer has his killer instinct,’ that tells me that Bradley is still suffering from the concussion Provodnikov laid on him.”

Made me chuckle!

Big FOOT is going down and OUT! And not just because of what TNT Freddie and Team Pac shout. Knockout is in the air. We won't have to worry about the judges being fair. Holla!

Skibbz says:

The rhymes are contagious so i can't stop, on April 12th I'll be waiting for Bradley to drop. On his face down and out, doing a chicken dance like Austin trout!

God damnit RG..

Nice! That has swollened me up so much that I need lot of ice. Holla!

deepwater2 says:

I like Bradley but I see him getting stopped or shutout in this one . If PAC stops him he needs to go to the camera and say" Floyd stop running and make the fight, I will knock you out just like this " call out Floyd and stop being polite .

Skibbz says:

I don't think that'll get him closer to making the fight happen, we've seen again and again floyd acts upon his own motives and judgement and is very good at blocking outside pressure. What it could do is further draw the spotlight to the fight, and wet the appetite of Floyd's pocket. A Bradley stoppage would be a sight I'd love to see, just to see if it's bloody possible...

Grimm says:

Indeed - though its more likely we'll see him make a patented & awkward TB-maneuver to get out of harms way, twist his knee - or hip, ankle or whatever - and strut around on one leg for some rounds before finally giving in. Seems to be one stubborn man. That's what I like about him. That's also about all I like with him.

I have a hunch this can turn into an epic battle; both men have possibly lost just enough percentages of their edges to treat us with a true festival of pride and aggression.

gibola says:

I might be wrong but Manny couldn't KO a Bradley who had a twisted ankle for the second half of their fight so I don't see him doing it to a fully fit Bradley. I see a close, controversial win for Manny in a high-paced but relatively dull, tactical fight.

dino da vinci says:

Great post.

Carmine Cas says:

I think is a smart move, it kind of puts Floyd in a corner because fans will be screaming for the fight and Manny finally will open his mouth and be serious

Carmine Cas says:

It's a toss up to me in this fight, both Bradley & Pacquiao have changed. I don't think Manny will knock him out and unless he catches him like Marquez caught Manny, and Tim is one tough SOB.

Roach has always talked a lot of caca, but for some reason I believe a little bit that we'll see a more aggressive Pacquiao.

In regards to Bradley, he didn't take a lot of damage against the slower Marquez and looked smooth, it appears as though he has fully recovered from the Ruslan fight.

Bradley can't foolish and stand in front of Pacquiao he's got to box not brawl like he did with the Russian Rocky. Joel Diaz is talking a lot of junk too, he said not to be surprised if they knock out Pacquiao, that's a bold statement.