Boxing Lawyer Keith Sullivan Weighs In On Floyd/TMZ "Story"

BY Michael Woods ON March 14, 2014

MayweatherMaidanaLVPrePC Hogan1 f2b82Keith Sullivan is a lawyer, but he's also one of the most standup guys I know. The Queens-based barrister is a boxing guy, who donates ample time to the Boxing Writers Association, and Ring 8, the NY-based veteran's boxers association, and the Theodore Atlas Foundation, and also can be seen quite often on the Fox News Channel.

I checked in with Sullivan and asked his take on the Floyd Mayweather "jewelry assault story," which broke on TMZ, the gossip website, on early Wednesday morning.

The sourcing, the specifics, or lack thereof, are rail thin, in my view. Still, one has to consider matter, as it pertains to the topmost driving influencer in the sport, and the most richly compensated athlete in any sport.

So, Attorney Sullivan, give your assessment of the story, such as it, and weigh in with your take on some of the reading between the line elements.

"If this is true, it reminds us of the incident that put OJ Simpson away," said Sullivan, referencing the 2007 arrest of the notorious ex footballer Simpson for armed robbery and kidnapping, for which he was found guilty, in 2008, and sentenced to 33 years in the pokey, with a 9 year minimum.

"As a defense lawyer, though, I have my doubts," continued the counselor, who also serves on the New York State Athletic Commission. "They hired lawyers to pursue civil claims and pitched it to the media before an arrest has even been made. That alone makes me wonder what the real motive here is. They can't seem to prove that they filed a police report or that any law enforcement agency is actually investigating this."

Indeed. One would think if such a violent act occurred, Mayweather wouldn't be a free man as you read this, right?

"The truth will come out in the end, but if Floyd in fact did this, he sealed his fate in history as one of the greatest boxers and the dumbest human being alive. I hope for all involved this did not occur. It would have tragic consequences for Floyd and this is not how someone in a civilized society handles people they suspect stole from them, especially people who may very well be completely innocent."

So there you go. This lawyer is looking at the "story" with the same skeptical set of eyes I am.

Follow Woods on Twitter.

Send story ideas or feedback to MJWoods99@aol.com

dino da vinci says:

Mr. $ may be the most interesting, troubled person in Las Vegas. I'd like you to think about that for a moment. Like Michael Moorer who wanted to be a police officer while holding the most prestigious title in sport, sometimes these fighters lose sight of what's real and, well, what is not. Who wants to be a wannabe gangster, who wants to be a clone instead of an original, and those who surround themselves with hanger-ons who will tell them how great they are until the first time the checks are no longer clearing and they vanish like the magician in the box while the pretty girl distracts you.

I believe no matter what happens in the next two or three years for Mr Mayweather, he is going to be hating himself when he reflects back on what could have been arguably the greatest career of all-time. Really, look at the resumes of the monsters: Leonard (Both Benny & Sugar Ray), Ali, Ray Robinson, Greb, etc. Money could have gotten there, but chose an alternate route. It's not just about who you fight, but when you fight them. It will be scary if this story holds more than a grain of truth. I believe this story has a better shot of being fabricated for public consumption by not the most clever lot of individuals, much like that Denver Bronco story to make him look like a money earning machine.

dino da vinci says:

deepwater2 says:

Floyd is an idiot . I rich idiot but still an idiot. This story may be true or false but sometimes where there is smoke there is fire. He better pay these clowns off if he had any connection to it. My lawyer says it might be true because some lawyers like to leak info to the public to put pressure on Floyd, to get a payout before criminal investigations start. This is a job for al Haymon to sweep under the rug.
In 2002, Floyd Mayweather Jr pleaded guilty to 2 charges of misdemeanor domestic violence.
In 2004, Mayweather received a 1 year suspended jail sentence, was ordered to seek counseling for “impulse control”, and fined a $1000 after being convicted for misdemeanor battery of 2 women in a Las Vegas nightclub.
In 2004, a warrant for his arrest was issued in Grand Rapids, Michigan for failure to appear at a trial. He was accused of kicking a bouncer in the head at a bar. Mayweather pleaded no contest to misdemeanor assault and battery. He was fined and ordered to perform community service.
In 2005, Floyd was found innocent in a trial for assaulting his girlfriend outside a Las Vegas club in 2003. The girlfriend, also the mother of his children, changed her story on the stand.
In 2009, Police executed a search warrant on Floyd’s house because witnesses identified Mayweather’s car leaving the scene of a shooting at a Las Vegas skating rink. Witnesses also identified one of Mayweather’s associates as the shooter.
Mayweather has had several incidents of beating women, anger control problems, and other violent actions.

dino da vinci says:

So are you making the argument that he may very well be the dumbest man alive?

So are you making the argument that he may very well be the dumbest man alive?

ha, well DDV, he does not seem to be making better decisions but instead worse.

A young Amayseng was at times in trouble for fighting and suspended numerous times. I would not be bullied. However, as Amayseng aged, he matured and by 21 knew how to just let some things go, move on and stay out of trouble.

Floyd is now 37, 2 years older than myself, but he acts no where near what a mid 30 year old man should act.

Hey I am all for style, but I stopped wearing that hat sideways bullshit a long time ago. Grow up a bit.

So are you making the argument that he may very well be the dumbest man alive?

ha, well DDV, he does not seem to be making better decisions but instead worse.

DaveB says:

One would think that if this is true (and I really hope it is not) Floyd will be advised by Al Haymon and the other powers that be to pay them off and most importantly get help. With the people he surrounds himself with anything is possible. The idiotic things that people do still are astounding even though they are common place. Some of these events sound contrived and then turn out to be true.

Well if this is legit criminal charges would be given. However, maybe they are under investigation and many were involved. If there is record of Floyd just making a phone call or being on the phone enticing the victims to meet somewhere then he would surely be in deep ****.

Lil' Floyd's are clean. It is just some of his groupies, hanger on, nuthuggers and guypals are mean. The cat cannot be guilty by association or grouping.

TMZ is Trashing Mayweather Zone. And it is all about the money. Something stinking in Denmark. And my dog can't stand the smell, and is getting on his bark. Hehe! Holla!

Lil' Floyd's hands are clean. It is just some of his groupies, hanger on, nuthuggers and guypals are mean. The cat cannot be guilty by association or grouping.

Skibbz says:

Very well said, his boxing career has been one of the greatest but his personal life hasn't been the greatest. He has many young and aspiring individuals looking up to him but he makes many mistakes.. I wouldn't want to speculate on causes but changes need to be made... Could start with losing all the side dishes and yes men..

The Shadow says:

ha, well DDV, he does not seem to be making better decisions but instead worse.

Lovely post. I like it. Regarding the hat, do you think he actually likes that look? Or do you he's doing it to market his stuff to the younger crowd who likes it that way?

Because I've seen him wear nice clothes also. But I've heard him say that he doesn't do endorsements because he's the main endorser of TMT clothing.

Speaking of that, I saw a dude at the store the other day clad in TMT from head to toe. Hat said "money. Power. Respect." t shirt was one of those white ones Floyd always wears. Definitely seeing that more and more.

The Shadow says:

I think he's been acting well after he came out. He's been doing well, investing in businesses for people, helping lots of people out.

Putting his TMT fighters on shows may very well be the single greatest altruistic/philanthropic act of all time, considering how bad they suck. Talk about giving to charity.

Let's hold off judgment until there is something concrete. Celebs get tabbed with frivolous lawsuits all the time.

Some don't make the news because they're so ridiculous. Even if it is true, I truly doubt Floyd would sit there like some Don while they pummel the thieves.

He knows what's at stake. There's no arrest report, no nothing. No sources. Seriously, either one of us could create a story like this.

If it did indeed happen, I think Floyd was either chillin' in his master bedroom with four chicks at the Big Boy mansion or playing pitty pat with Unca Raja -- who still trains him, by the way! -- at the Dog House.

Skibbz says:

indeed you are right shadow!!! giving to charity made me chuckle.. he's done a lot of work for theophane which i appreciate especially, used to box with him back in london!

The Shadow says:

Here's an update from the Las Vegas police: http://www.boxingscene.com/vegas-police-mayweather-beating-simply-rumor--75661

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=amayseng;45763]Good point. You are probably right. Appeal to the younger crowd and sell your line.[/QUOTE]

Lol speaking of which, I just saw Big Floyd with a TBE hat, I almost choked on my water

It's easy to blow Floyd's arrest record out of proportion... Floyd's biggest flaw is poor character judgement...outside of the ring..especially with the women.

NV police say no charges have been filed... No photos of faces beaten out of proportion. No hospital records......Besides a blackmailer... Disgruntled spouse or any con man can simply fake injuries. I put little value on these accusations without proof.