Oscar Shows Up at Canelo Media Day in San Diego

BY David A. Avila ON February 25, 2014

Alvarez 128e0SAN DIEGO-A good thing Saul “Canelo” Alvarez takes everything seriously, including media days. The boss showed up much to the surprise of almost everyone on Tuesday.

Oscar De La Hoya, the president of Golden Boy Promotions, walked into the boxing gym holding the media day for Canelo and sent an electric shock to the reporters and shutterbugs in the House of Boxing gym.

“It’s a dangerous fight,” said De La Hoya about the scheduled junior middleweight bout. He had not been seen since Alvarez last fought in September by this writer.

The boss looked good.

Alvarez switched training camps from the mountain air of Big Bear Lake to the sunny beach shores of San Diego. It’s also a mere 10 minutes from the Mexican border and Tijuana.

More than 100 media members crushed into the boxing haven to see Alvarez (42-1-1, 30 Kos), who fights fellow Mexican Alfredo “Perro” Angulo (22-3, 18 Kos) in a 12-round junior middleweight clash. Their meeting takes place on Saturday March 8, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Showtime will televise, on PPV.

It’s been almost six months since the red-head from Guadalajara, Mexico was virtually stabbed with his first loss by Floyd “Money” Mayweather. I say stabbed because it must have been painful to discover someone has that much superior talent. But Alvarez is very young at 23.

Unwilling to accept an easy fight, the former junior middleweight titleholder now faces perhaps the biggest hitter in the 154-pound weight division in Angulo. Nobody hits harder in the junior middleweight class.

Angulo, 31, lost his last fight but proved that even the cleverest boxer cannot escape unscathed when he dropped Cuban southpaw Erislandy Lara twice this past September. A poke to the eye ended the night for Angulo, but the Mexicali slugger showed he can deal with skillful boxers.

Of course, don’t expect Alvarez to dance around the ring and counterpunch much against a fellow compatriot. Expect a full dose of machismo.

It’s one thing to box and move against Austin Trout, it’s another to enter the ring against a slugger from Mexico who fights Mexican style. It’s all a matter of who’s more Mexican than the other.

Canelo cannot afford to allow Angulo to out-Mexican him when they fight. He would lose fans faster than “El Tri” in soccer.

“I changed my camp down here because of the climate,” said Alvarez. “It’s much warmer here and I didn’t want to be caught in the snow or rain.”

His trainer Jose “Chepo” Reynoso said that fighters from across the border were shipped in by the dozen to help Alvarez with sparring.

“I expect a tough fight. Everyone knows that Angulo is one of the toughest fighters out there,” said Alvarez. “I’m just focused on this fight.”

De La Hoya’s presence divided the media army in half as a large section of reporters surrounded the former world champion from East L.A. He expects a Fight of the Year candidate.

“It’s going to be a really great fight,” said De La Hoya. “It’s going to be an explosive fight, it’s one of the best fights of the year. People love brawls.”

Less than two weeks remain until the Mexican showdown.

“I’m very prepared and excited about this fight,” said Alvarez.

So are the fans.

stormcentre says:

This is a serious fight for Canelo to come back after Mayweather with.

Maybe too tough.

Should be a good stitch up

stormcentre says:

This is a serious fight for Canelo to come back after Mayweather with.

Maybe too tough.

Should be a good stitch up

Carmine Cas says:

Lara is already talking ish, I am interested in seeing this bout.

Can Canelo's thudding power slow down Angulo?

Or will Angulo's pressure wear down cinnamon?

Hope to see Oscar stay sober. he has kids for fucksakes. and a billion dollars. find a way Oscar man the F up.

Carmine Cas says:

Yeah man, he's got to take care of himself he's got a lot of responsibilities. I'll make it easier for him, I'll run Golden Boy while he's working on himself hehehehehehe

Carmine Cas says:

Carmine Cas says:

ditto that.

hell I will answer phones for 300k a year no complaints!!

Hehehehe! @A-Seng, you won the 2013 TSS ROTY, now you are for going 2014 the Roast Comic of the year -- TRCOTY. Answering the phones for $300 grands a year is chicken change for GBP. Hahahaha! Holla!

I am glad to see my sarcasm isn't lost on everyone...ha

Although who am I kidding, I would take that gig. RG use your connections and hook a brotha up?!

Carmine Cas says:

RG, do you know a Roy Englebrecht? I know he's been in the industry for a while. He was one of the higher ups at GB. Have you met him?

Carmine Cas says:

Hmmm, I can't win an award around here but I can get one named after me? I like it.

Hehehehehe! There you go again, the Roast! Making people belly laugh and jive. You are too much, my comedian friend. Holla!

Everybodee in Cali and Asia know that promoting everything cat. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

Is he a good dude?

Good to some. A monster to most. Good guys don't make it in promoting. You have to know when to hold 'em, and when to fold 'em. And when to ice cold 'em. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

Yeah I understand, thank you! Holla!