Lotierzo: I Wasn't Fooled By The 'Maidana or Khan' Poll

BY Frank Lotierzo ON February 11, 2014

maidana-wins-over-broner 21a79 b4e2b
"Marcos Maidana was a clear winner on most independent polls, but Amir Khan came from way behind to win the one poll that mattered, Floyd Mayweather’s own fan poll of who he should fight next. Maidana had a sizable lead on Floyd’s poll as well, until Khan appealed to his 1.4 million Twitter followers to help him out. Khan then swept past Maidana in the last days of the poll that will allegedly decide Floyd’s next opponent."

The above was posted on Fightnews.com Monday February 10th. Shocking, isn't it? Marcos Maidana seemed to be the odds on favorite to win from the time poll was started, was suddenly passed by Amir Khan after he sent out a plea to his Twitter followers. The second I read the above I immediately said to myself, "There's no way in the world I believe this poll was legit. Floyd Mayweather was in control from the very beginning." Then I said, comprehending that response was purely from my gut, with no evidence beyond instinct to back it up, 'Let's see what the fans say, and the first response read:

"This poll is as legit as OJ's honest efforts in searching for the real killers."

After reading that there was no need to read on. That post summed it up about as well as it can be said. It's been obvious that Mayweather has wanted his next fight to be against Amir Khan since his last fight when he defeated unbeaten Saul Alvarez. No, I don't think Floyd fears or has much trepidation about fighting Maidana, but I do think that the way Marcos performed against Floyd Mayweather "Lite," known to boxing fans as Adrien Broner, has Floyd sensing that Maidana's confidence has probably never been higher and that he feels invincible right now. And though I don't feel that Maidana punches hard enough to make Floyd do anything he doesn't want to do, he won't be punching at me.

Mayweather knows that Maidana will be swinging for the fence and could be dangerous until he's either falling down or the fight is over - so in his eyes Maidana has a puncher's chance against him, something that no one in the world believes Khan has against him. Floyd is certain that once he and Khan are in front of each other, Amir will be a little intimidated by his presence alone. And once they touch hands and Khan feels how much stronger Mayweather is than him physically, Amir's one weapon, his hand speed, will be blunted because he'll have reservations about asserting himself and exchanging with Floyd. Once that happens Mayweather will embarrass and humiliate Khan. In turn Khan will then go about his business and try to make it through the fight without bothering Floyd to the point to where he turns it up and forces the fight, looking to win by stoppage.

Mayweather knows Khan is the easier and less risky fight, but that he'll have cover being that Khan was the choice of the fans. Yeah, right. Can't you just hear Floyd with Jim Gray saying at center ring after the fight: "You know Jim, I'm a fighting champion. I always give the fans what they want, Khan is the fighter they picked to fight me, so that's what I did, I fought the man boxing fans chose for me to fight. It's not my fault that I'm the greatest pound-for-pound fighter ever. I'm unbeaten for a reason, there's nobody who can beat me!"

No way do I believe the Maidana or Khan fan poll was legitimate. Every poll I saw and everyone I spoke to or corresponded with favored Maidana, with one exception. And the man who said Khan, this from someone I have the utmost respect for regarding his boxing acumen, felt so because Floyd could make the most money fighting Khan across the pond, and he's correct about that. And even he said it was too close to call because Floyd is in another world as a fighter compared to both Marcos and Amir, which of course he's right again.

If anyone believes the poll was legit, you probably also believe that a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight is a legitimate Superfight and the result isn't a forgone conclusion. Floyd Mayweather not only picked the only horses who could enter the race, he knew who the winner would be before they were out of the gate, in my opinion. Oh, and he also counted on Khan doing his best imitation of Secretariat down the homestretch at the 1973 Belmont to win by 31 lengths, if needed.

There are three fights out there that can be made worth paying for to see Mayweather partake in, and Marcos Maidana and Amir Khan are not on the list. Unless of course you're not tired of seeing the house cat torture the church mouse, and paying a lot to see it.

It's amazing that Mayweather has now gotten to the stage in his career when he's able to do the same cat and mouse torture routine to his fans that he does to his opponents. He continues to get away with it too.

Frank Lotierzo can be contacted at GlovedFist@Gmail.com

Nice DITTO piece! Money May is definitely doing jive -- I mean tricks -- of the trade grand and wide. He is getting on his slip and side. He is enjoying every bit of this playing-with-his-fans ride. His using them like a Frankenstein bride. Himself he will make you desire, but will you give a most small fire. Holla!

I agree. NO way this was a legit poll, and because of it I did not even attempt to vote.

Who would fans want- Chino, who is coming off one of the most exciting fights in years, or Khan who is wobbled by journeymen and has not been active or looked good in two years?

come on now.

deepwater2 says:

That poll was a fix of course. The truth of the matter is that the public demands Floyd vs PAC ,Floyd vs maidana,Floyd vs lara , even Bradley ,Garcia and Thurman fight are held in higher demand then glass jaw khan . Khan is 2-2 in his last four, got clipped hard,looked awful in all 4 fights, never even fought at 147 before. Khan is also acting hysterical on social media and lying about sparring ward. Hunter's camp will suffer from this . The mayweather era can't come to an end soon enough for me.

jzzy says:

Frank, your cat and mouse analogy is spot on. Mayweather's shenanigans only diminish his legacy in the eyes of the hard
core fight fans. But, I guess at this point, Floyd's only concerned with fulfilling his Showtime contract with warm bodies. You'd
think those numbskulls who negotiated for Showtime would've had a clause that empowered them with the selection of his opponents,
considering Floyd's history ducking tough fights. The Khan fight will not do good PPV numbers, it should be regular Showtime fare in
these tough economic times.

michigan400 says:

Agreed. If he fought who the boxing fans picked it would be Pac.

He's getting away with it because his fans are so smitten by his money and image they cannot see the real man. Floyd has actually become the image and the real person is lost to even him at this point. He doesn't know how to be real anymore. In short, his head is so far up his own a$$ he can't see s%#t!

SouthPawFlo says:

We all know that Floyd wants $30-$50 million a fight, and he has to do something to convince Showtime that this fight can generate interest enough to warrant that type of fee....

I personally think Khan was the choice all along, but the People at Showtime put Maidana on the Table...

Khan hasn't looked good in a fight since Zab Judah, and the general public doesn't even remember that fight...

I just don't see americans pennying up for Khan.

The ghost at least was a bit compelling, multiple division champion who was tough as nails and comes at you nonstop. Plus all he and his wife went through with cancer. Everyone can relate to knowing someone, a friend or family member who has had to deal with that God awful disease.

However, Khan? Has not looked good in years.

I would rather see Thurman vs Floyd, or Garcia vs Floyd than Khan

john Burns says:

Frank, Your comments and analogy on Mayweather were well put. There is a reason Mayweather remains unbeaten and that reason is that he is very wise in choosing his opponents (or should I say victims). He chose Robert Guerrero because he knew that Guerrero was never an elite fighter, was far to slow to catch him and didn't have a GHOST of a chance to beat him (pun intended). He chose Saul Alvarez after he saw Alvarez fight Austin Trout, a journeyman fighter, give Alvarez all he could handle. This is not meant to diminish Alvarez but he is very young and has much to learn. He chose Mosley and Cotto because he knew that Mosley and Cotto had seen better days and were on the downslope of their respective careers. Now he chooses Kahn because he understands that Kahn is not sufficiently durable to pose a serious threat to him. In short, Mayweather keeps his charade going by avoiding the elite fighters who might have a chance to beat him. I am talking about fighters like like Pacquiao, Thurman and Landy.

What I don't get is why the fans continue to buy tickets to these charades and continue to be played like the New York Philharmonic orchestra. If the fans boycotted just one of these farsts, the promoters would quickly get the word that they must put on a legitimate fight with an elite opponent. Until the fight fans wise up, Mayweather will continue with his games and claim that he is the pound for pound king.

Skibbz says:

Floyd knew from as early as Dec 16th that he was going to be fighting Khan. There are no sweepstakes and the 'good guy' never wins. The poll stinks, Mayweather stinks and the only losers on that night in May will be the fans who pay to see a well rehearsed script.

DaveB says:

Everybody is spot on. Mayweather wants Khan because he, Al, and Showtime figure he has a following in Great Britain. Kahn sucks. Every time I hear one of the boxers or commentators saying that he will trouble Mayweather I know they are trying to con and hood wink the public into buying this. I hope people vote with their pocketbooks. The outcome is already known any way. Khan may not get stopped but he will be doing the wobble by the end of the fight. He didn't even earn this.