Collazo Drops And Stops Ortiz in Hometown Throwdown

BY Michael Woods ON January 30, 2014

Collazo-KO-Victor-Ortiz ab343Luis Collazo pulled off a semi stunner of a win, knocking out comebacking Victor Ortiz at the Barclays Center on Thursday evening. Ortiz was coming back since getting his jaw broken in a June 2012 bout with Josesito Lopez. He got caught with a right hook in round two, after getting tagged with Collazo lefts. He hit the deck, and was on his knees, a blank look on his face as the ref counted. His eyes and brain didn't reset, and he was counted out.

Collazo, who held a welter crown in 2004-2005, registered a pretty darned impressive second act. He's 32, and now in line for a solid money scrap.

A deeply spiritual man, he thanked God again and again, giving credit to the man upstairs for his effort. He said he had no doubt he'd win, and he knew that Ortiz would throw wide, and he could use it against him. He referenced past hard times, and said now, he's ready to perform at peak level, and stay focused.

"I'm not a big puncher, but I'm a hooker," he said. "A lot of people say I'm not a big puncher, but I guess they're wrong."

And next? "I want Floyd Mayweather, in New York City, I want what the fans want!" he said.

Ortiz after said, "I'm good, I got caught, it's no big deal. I'm just one of the fighters, I put my heart out there."

Here is a Golden Boy release on the rest of the night's action:

In the co-main event undefeated prospect Eddie "E-Boy" Gomez (16-0, 10 KO's) defeated previously unbeaten Daquan "King" Arnett (11-1, 7 KO's) of Orlando, FL in a hard-fought 10-round super welterweight bout.  Gomez, who with this win puts himself in a position for a world title shot, was elated when he heard his name called as the fighter with his undefeated record intact.

"I just took my time in there and did what I had to do," said Gomez. "Now I'm just happy."

Gomez continued, "I should have gone to the body earlier and I think I could have gotten him in four or five rounds.  I'm just thankful for the opportunity to get this fight. I took full advantage and worked hard."

Arnett, was gracious in defeat and enthusiastic about the road ahead despite his first loss.

"This is the beginning for me not the end," said Arnett.  "I am going to come back stronger and will take this and learn from it."

Undefeated Gary Russell Jr. (24-0, 11 KO's) of Capitol Heights, MD kicked off the FOX Sports 1/FOX Deportes telecast with a bang in the form of a fourth-round knockout of Obregon, Mexico's Miguel Tamayo (14-8-2, 12 KO's).  Despite a slow start in the opening round, Russell Jr. turned up the energy and showcased his skills, sending Tamayo to the canvas in the fourth round, rendering him unable to get up from the canvas.

"I felt good in the ring tonight," said Russell Jr.  "I paced myself and worked towards what I wanted.  I felt prepared.  I went through six weeks of training and I rose to the occasion.

Russell Jr. continued, "I am looking toward the future and getting a shot at a world title."

In non-televised undercard action, some of New York's most exciting young prospects showcased their skills with impressive wins.

Barclays Center regular "Sir" Marcus Browne (9-0, 7 KO's) of Staten Island made the most of his seventh appearance at the arena as he went the distance against Shreveport, LA's Kentrell Claiborne (4-9, 3 KO's) in a six-round cruiserweight bout. The 2012 U.S. Olympian was happy that his opponent had a "head made of stone" so that he could get more experience in the ring.

"I got some good rounds in," said Browne.  "I'm learning how to be a distance fighter and to prove I could keep my composure."

Local Bronx up and comer Emmanuel "Manny" Gonzalez (14-0, 7 KO's) went the distance against Victor Sanchez of Houston, TX (5-8-2, 2 KO's) in an eight-round featherweight matchup that saw Gonzalez winning nearly ever round on all three judges' scorecards despite a point deduction for holding in the seventh round.  Gonzalez also looked at his eight-round bout as a learning experience.

"This is the first eight-rounder that I've fought [that has gone the distance] in about a year and a half," said Gonzalez. "I definitely got a little winded, but I will work even harder next time and continue to be undefeated."

Newly-signed Golden Boy Promotions prospect Zachary "Zungry" Ochoa (6-0, 3 KO's) of Brooklyn put on a strong performance in a four-round super lightweight fight against Jose Valderrama (3-7, 3 KO's) of Manati, Puerto Rico in Ochoa's inaugural performance as a member of the Golden Boy Promotions stable.

In the first fight of the evening, Rafael Vasquez of Brooklyn, NY (10-1, 8 KO's) scored a first-round technical knockout over Bradley Patraw (10-7, 5 KO's) of St. Paul, Minn. in featherweight action that was scheduled for eight rounds.

Ortiz vs. Collazo was presented by Golden Boy Promotions and sponsored by Corona and Casamigos Tequila.

Maybe I'm over thinking it but Ortiz saying "It's no big deal" says alot about him. It is a big deal. This is his career, this is his future, this is his life. I think Victor will be looking for another line of work very soon.

Carmine Cas says:

Good for Collazo, finally getting a break through win after getting the short stick against Hatton and Berto. Slick, excellent transition from defense to offense. This kid is good, Ortiz was way too anxious and aggressive.

@the Roast, Vicious-less has another line of work: "Acting!"

BTW, do you notice every fighter that leaves the Garcia Family and go to trainer Danny Smith gets KTFO?

Fernando Vargas and now Victor. BTW, Vargas is now actor himself. Maybe you have caught his reality show from Sin City. Holla!

This fight separated the boys from the men.. His comments after the Maidana fight became a self fulfilling prophesy..." I don't need this "

I think Ortiz tries to keep it light to keep himself from feeling embarrassed.

He was definitely out of control at times and throwing caution to the wind.

You gotta keep that glove on the chin when throwing a hook so you dont eat one, obviously..

If at best Ortiz is just an action, exciting fighter, then so be it. At least fans get their moneys worth.

deepwater2 says:

I was going to lay some money done on collazo no matter what because I knew him from the golden gloves when he had a big Afro and couldn't grow a mustache . That said it sure seemed like easy money to pick collazo. First Ortiz quits. Once a quitter always a quiter. A front runner who goes all out but quickly folds when the other guy is still in front of him. It seems like Ortiz could of got up but just didn't want to but we will never know that. Collazo has always represented himself well and is always in there until the end no matter the circumstances. Another tell was Ortiz at the weigh in. He tried to look very hard and tried to intimidate collazo. That right there is a tell. Any boxer that ever tried that to me at the weigh in usually quit or took a knee during the fight. Dogs that bark don't bite. Add to the equation that Ortiz is rubbing shoulders in movies and he probably thinks he doesn't have to box anymore. Wonder if sly will invite him back to the big screen after this fight? Anyway I never liked Ortiz after the facts came out that he made up lies about his upbringing and his daddy. Remember when Brandon rios brought victors dad to a press conference and victors own dad said he was making things up. Family is family and you should never turn against your dad for profit motive. I would like to see rios vs Ortiz if Ortiz doesn't quit and retire. He should retire but that grudge match would be great to watch. Either way it's cool to win some money during Super Bowl weekend. Hope my numbers come up on Sunday. I got 7+ 6 and 8 +1

VO is a snake! A fake. And not much more his trifling arse will many be able to take. He needs to get it together for goodness sake. The truth he cannot shake. Coming real with it, he needs to awake. Holla!

jzzy says:

We've always suspected that Victor just didn't have the goods to be a big time fighter, now its confirmed.
Ortiz is a likeable dude, but you can't survive in this sport without committing heart and soul 100%. It's
definitely time for him to pursue other modes of making a living. We wish him all the best.

King Beef says:

Ortiz has been done mentally since that Maidana fight.

stormcentre says:

I was wondering if Victor read too much into Collazo's losses and at the same time disregarded the problems a slick southpaw might present him with.

Collazo was and is about as world-champion ready as any guy who is/was not a world champion can be.

Ortiz seemed very non-confident of his stamina and late round performance, as he rushed himself and was defensively wreckless.

Pauli, commentating the fight, did a good job I thought. Said it like it was.

Bug ups for Luis he deserves this.

stormcentre says:

Pauli, commentating the fight, did a good job I thought. Said it like it was.

Bug ups for Luis he deserves this.

The problem is you have Ortiz who is truly right handed fighting out of the southpaw stance. So naturally

his footwork is off along with his natural reactions. DLH could make the change as can Cotto, but Ortiz and

his footwork has always been off.

Add into the fact Ortiz just rushed in and was reckless resulted in his demise.

It is what it is, Ortiz for all his faults is at least exciting, let him continue to fight and be exciting.

A note: Left-handed cats can do right-handed things because that is the world that exists for us. But pure right handers have a problem adjusting to being quasi lefty, where as we can be quasi eighty at the drop of a hat.

But the biggest problem with Victor Ortiz is courage when the going gets rough. The first sign of rough seas, and that dude jumps off the ship instead of riding out the storm. Holla!