Garcia Downs Burgos in Workmanlike Effort in NYC

BY Michael Woods ON January 25, 2014

GarciavsBurgos 5f710Calm, cool, collected, measured and intelligent. Mikey Garcia is all those things, for sure. But his showing against Juan Carlos Burgos left me wanting more as I watched 12 rounds of the main event at the MSG Theater on Saturday night. Garcia was patient, at times perhaps too patient, against a foe who looked to survive and neglected to press the issue and win rounds, for the vast majority of the night. The fight went the distance and the crowd, it must be said, sat on their hands for most of it. It was no thriller, and it will be up for debate as to why. The judges gave Mikey the nod, by scores of 118-110, 118-110, 119-109, for Garcia.

In the first, Burgos' stiff jab and reach advantage stood out against the slow starter Garcia, who came in at 33-0. Burgos, the WBO super feather champ, entered at 30-1-2. In the second, a left hook caught Mikey backing up, and he almost went down, but he caught himself. In the third, a right cross clipped Burgos and he had to hold on. In the fourth, Mikey's one-twos landed and scored, while Burgos wasn't busy enough.

In the fifth, Burgos was backing up more rapidly. His jabs weren't as snappy, and Mikey looked to close the distance. In the sixth, Mikey winged lead left hooks, and Burgos was busier than before, having heard it from his corner. The two men both showed caution, and didn't open it up, and leave themselves open to be countered. In the seventh, again, neither man looked to separate themself. The crowd wasn't jazzed at all.

In the eighth, Burgos wasn't opening up, looking to win the round, so Mikey wasn't inclined to open up either. In the ninth, a right hand over the top landed sharply, and it looked like Mikey was dialing it up a notch, perhaps. In the tenth, we too often saw single shots from Garcia, once again. He looked to land a power shot near the end but Burgos slid, and then grabbed.

In the 11th, Mikey was again his patient self, and Burgos his less than fiery self. In the 12th, the crowd booed some. We went to the cards, after a main event that will not be recalled for its excellence, by any means.

Follow Woods on Twitter.

kidcanvas says:

i know he could of stepped it up but i enjoy watching him work,u can see him thinking it out.love mikey!!

DaveB says:

Mikey is a very good professional. What I don't like is that I've seen him get clipped twice now and if he is fighting someone like Matthysee or gets clipped really, really hard he is not going to get up. That worries me and that day is bound to happen.

#1 PacFan says:

I agree DaveB. I don't think he was too happy with the interview with Kellerman.

MisterLee says:

I have to see this fight. If Garcia has been staggered and down once at 130 lbs (by Rocky Martinez) then I don't think he's ready for lightweight, jr. welter, nor welterweight. it doesn't mean he's got a weak chin; it means he needs time to grow into 130lbs and is most likely a natural featherweight. too many prospects, broner included, are pushed to move up in weight too quickly for the instant glory without developing properly in their given weight classes, and growing into weight classes naturally. I think Garcia is good, but hasn't been in deep waters yet. There is no way he is ready in experience nor in size/weight class/ability to take a punch ... to fight pacquiao or anyone above 135lbs imo. i'd like to see him fight donaire, lomechenko, or gary russell though...

ultimoshogun says:

Damn! MisterLee too? Good to see you guys back!

MisterLee says:

Sup sup ultimo! Isn't rua back in the mix? Love the site. Just wish the commenting interface was faster/more user friendly. The users would multiply!

ultimoshogun says:

Good to see Fe'Roz back as well...weird how you three showed up around the same time. You still competing MisterLee..or have you retired?

MisterLee says:

Yo bro, decided to focus more on Tai Chi and Xing Yi since earlier last year. I had a fight set for February, but my opponent cancelled and the promoter wanted me to fight his son at 147lbs (take it, I weigh 132lbs walking around, fighting, and in soaked jeans...) and his son weighed 150lbs, and I weighed 136 or 37 lbs with all my clothes on so the WKA federation didn't allow the fight. Then I decided I'd rather spend more time NOT focusing on pounding in a person's skull. Well, I was planning on fighting again April, but it fell on my bro's wedding, so I had to cancel that too. Yep yep. Do you do martial arts?

ultimoshogun says:

No, but I've always been fascinated with martial arts thanks to Bruce Lee. I remember the last video you shared you were up against some dude much bigger than you then too.