Fans Should Vote With Their Inaction, Then Maybe They'll Get Floyd vs. Manny

BY Frank Lotierzo ON January 15, 2014

Floyd-Mayweather-Manny-Pacquiao1-15-2014 091c0

When I sit with friends and or relatives watching a football game, I'm asked about how much money does so 'n so make. Say for example, the Denver Broncos are playing and they inquire about Peyton Manning and I say he makes somewhere around 20 million dollars a year or slightly more. When they hear that they freak out and say "nobody's worth that much money"! To which I go on to lecture them on how Manning is worth that much money because the entity that's paying him isn't losing a dime. In fact they are making money because he's on their payroll.

I then proceed to tell them that they are a lot of the reason why athletes such as Manning, Tiger Woods, LeBron James and Floyd Mayweather are compensated so handsomely. And the reason for that is, when Manning is playing, just like when Tiger, LeBron and Floyd are working, you tune in to watch like clock work. And if you don't, there are enough others who do without fail. When the athletes mentioned are performing, the ratings and fan interest explode every time. The reason for that is there's a huge percentage of the world's population who love being entertained by watching the best quarterbacks, power forwards, golfers and fighters perform at an elite level. It just so happens that advertisers know that too.

It seems that a lot of fans and consumers forget that they control, to a varying degree, how much athletes/entertainers are compensated when they work. If you think Manning makes too much, don't watch him. The same thing applies to Woods, James and Mayweather. The problem is, that'll never happen and the promoters, advertisers and owners know it. And I'm sure the athletes and entertainers also are cognizant of it as well.

That said, boxing is a little different. The point is, so far this new year everyone in most boxing circles are focused on who Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao will next fight because they know it won't be each other. And regardless of who Mayweather fights, he's virtually guaranteed to gross at least 30 million dollars. It doesn't matter if he fights Amir Khan or Devon Alexander, Mayweather is grossing at least 30 million. And the same thing applies to Pacquiao. It doesn't matter whether he fights Khan or Alexander, Manny is gonna gross 20 million dollars, at the very least. And that's because somewhere close to two million consumers/fans will pay somewhere between 60 and 80 dollars the night of the fight to watch Floyd and Manny work.

If boxing fans are so outraged about Mayweather making foolish demands for the fight and Pacquiao not willing to ditch promoter Bob Arum for one fight, then don't watch them the next time they fight if it's not against each other. Again, that only applies to you if you really think seeing Mayweather and Pacquiao fighting each other is a big deal. That is a faction I'm not a part of. I've gone on record saying that a) I couldn't care less if they ever fight; b) I don't think a meeting between Floyd and Manny is anything close to what I consider a SuperFight and; c) I still believe they're gonna fight eventually because it doesn't matter when it happens, they both know it'll be a financial success in 2015, 2016 or even 2017. The date is irrelevant because if it wasn't, the fight wouldn't be talked about so much now being that it's already four years overdue. Just matching the names Mayweather and Pacquiao assures there will be monumental interest in the bout.

If boxing fans are dying to see Mayweather-Pacquiao, stop watching their fights. It would take each of them fighting once with only about half a million buys to adjust their thinking. Let them fight once each and the promoters take a bath. If that happened Mayweather would forgo the drug testing subterfuge and Pacquiao would convince Arum to take a walk for one fight. Because if nobody cares about them, they can't get paid. If they can't get paid, they'll do everything in their power to make sure they get paid again...which translates into giving the fans and public what they want.

Sadly, there will be a ton of interest when Floyd and Manny announce their next fight. They both have a huge following even if they're not fighting each other. And as long as that's the case, the urgency to fight each other, especially where Mayweather is concerned, just isn't there. HBO and Showtime have now gotten so adept at marketing dud fights (through things like 24/7) that, instead of really thinking about what they're buying, fight fans have become almost robotic in being taught to believe that whatever's being shown is a "must have" purchase. It's become a lot like the WWE in that respect.

Frank Lotierzo can be contacted at GlovedFist@Gmail.com

The fans, fanfaronades, groupies and fan boys are helpless and brain controlled by da hurt bitnezz's Illuminati.

They cannot control dipping outta their pocketbooks, purses and wallets to support the phat salaries of Da Manny and Money May. Holla!

Floyd was stung by the libel suit even though he's been low-key on expressing his personal feelings. He seems bent on destroying Paq's legacy outside the ring with a relentless PR assault.
I say do what all prize fighters do and use the animosity for fuel to build up the fight of the century... Why bother using fightin words if there's not going to be a fight? Floyd once accused Paq of getting free publicity of Mayweathers name... Now a days...Floyd does nothing but abuse Paqs name and there's still no fight in site... Sorry Floyd .... Public humiliation does not serve as a satisfactory surrogate for the real thing. I want to see Floyd give Manny a real beat down in the squared circle.

floyd is annoying. We get it, you dont want the fight. just shut up about it already.

I had someone in hs try to run their mouth about me like this. He did it for weeks, I told him politely to shut up and lay off me.

he didnt, so i beat him up as long as i could until 3 people pulled me off him. After I broke his facial bones

he never spoke of me again. in fact he never even looked at me again. we had an english class together

where you could sit anywhere, no assigned seats. so after i beat him to a pulp, and he returned to school

a week later, i moved my seat behind him where ever he sat every day in class and just told him about the

beating i gave him until he finally dropped the class.

Point being, floyd wont shut up until Pac whoops him but floyd will never get in the ring so all this talk is

just annoying and will go on until floyd is done fighting for good. Floyd doesnt have the awareness to see

it just makes him look like a punk running his mouth when he wont put up.

beating i gave him until he finally dropped the class.

it just makes him look like a punk running his mouth when he wont put up.

They woulda ' hit you with felony charges and a lawsuit if you did that today.

Great post

SouthPawFlo says:

This is Simple....

Floyd isn't gonna fight Pacman, because he doesn't NEED TO, Floyd made $80+ Million Dollars in 2013, without Manny, and he'll probably do the same in 2014... It's virtually impossible to negotiate with Floyd because he has all the Leverage, and he calls all the shots to everybody else he fights, so why would he relinquish any control to Bob Arum.... PAC Shouldn't just taken the guaranteed $40 Million when Floyd Offered it...

The fans aren't gonna "boycott" Floyd because he's just way way to popular and he's made his fights into certified events....... Mayweather Weekends in Vegas are the biggest events of the year Regardless of who's on the B side of the fight.....

michigan400 says:

Floyd is given all the leverage by what the boxing fans choose to watch. No fans watching, no money, no leverage. Simple concept that would work like a charm but it will never happen. It's like when folks try to get you to not buy gas for your car on a particular day to hurt the oil companies and lower the price. Hardly anyone actually does it and the people who do just buy twice as much gas before and after that day. They probably make more because of it!! It's a sick feeling but Floyd is calling the shots and he's gonna do whatever HE wants to do. He don't give a furry rats behind what any stupid "fan" thinks. He's a business boxer and entertainer, not a fighter.

The Good Doctor says:

The premise of this article is great but unfortunately in is built in fantasy land. The reasons are very simple. People don't mobilize for anything anymore and we don't have polarizing people willing to risk almost everything to get people to unite for a cause.

I don't want to get on a Bernie Campbell type of social rant here but when it comes to uniting for a purpose people just don't do it anymore or we have a skewed idea of what doing something is. People hardly ever come together for a common purpose and often believe that making a facebook post, a tweet, or putting a hood on in your instagram account is doing something when it is not. With boxing as with several other sports people do not understand the power of a real long standing boycott. The Cleveland Browns, Oakland Raiders, Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Cubs, Toronto Raptors, and Washington Redskins fans among others make it hard for their teams to return to prominence and their is a simple principle behind it. They keep showing up no matter how good or bad the product is. That gives the people making money from the team, no incentive to improve or even change for that matter.

As for a polarizing person to make this fight happen, there are several that could but they do not want to risk their position, title, money or power to do what it takes to make it happen. To make this fight happen, someone from each side would have to step out of rank and file and they would more than likely be crushed for it. This is actually a reflection of society if you think about it. Throughout history, anyone who has dared to mobilize people has paid for it dearly often with their life. Abraham Lincoln, Anwar Sadat, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, JFK and his brother, are some that come to mind off the top of my head.

Enough of the social commentary. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

They woulda ' hit you with felony charges and a lawsuit if you did that today.

They tried. I was a minor so after a 5 day suspension they charged me with something, cant remember but they sent me to anger management. hahaha

funny thing is, i had a broken hand in a cast for four weeks from football. This kid and his friends shoved me
into a yernal when i was taken a leak and had a cast and sling on. Cowards. I went to the principle 3x and asked him to get this kid to leave me alone and that I wont tolerate being picked on. the principle did nothing. this continued. my cast was removed and a brace applied to my right hand. So i beat him up with all lefts. lots of hooks...haha.

long story short, he had to have surgery on his face, so i had to pay the deductible.

My dad wasnt mad in the least.

Enough of the social commentary. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Great post.

My dad wasnt mad in the least.

Sounds like one of those coming of age movies..

The Shadow says:

Wouldn't it be sooooo awesome to see Sergio Martinez fight May 3.......?

jzzy says:

Amir Khan as an opponent doesn't make any sense except for his china chin. This
one will not do good PPV and could force Duckweather to pick a credible opponent
for his Sept gig. Floyd is really doing himself and Boxing a diservice by slamming the
door on a Pacman fiight. You'd think the dude would want to close out his career
with a memorable Superfight that would create alot of buzz. At this juncture, I truly
believe Mayflower is afraid of Manny, there's no other reason for not making the match.

SouthPawFlo says:

If Manny Pacquaio was Promoted by Golden Boy, instead of Top Rank, do you think the fight would have happened, or at least be in discussion?

NO! Money May doesn't want the fight, PERIOD! Holla!

The Shadow says:

Absolutely! I'm sure it would've happened at least twice by now. There's no financial incentive for Arum to make this fight no matter what he tries to say. There really isn't.

Imagine if Manny had lost to Floyd in March 2010. He wouldn't have gotten those massive paydays he got from lining up Margarito, Mosley, Marquez twice, and to a lesser degree Clottey and Bradley.

The reality is, most of Manny's drawing power came from the perception of him being a threat to Mayweather.

Once Manny lost, they both lost customers.

I don't think so, The Shadow. Big Money Oscar has a personal hatred of Da Manny for beating him down and later suing him to get out of a long-term contract that GBP slick Da Manny into signing for chicken change.

This is one of the reasons that Money May doesn't want to dance with Da Manny either. Money May and BMO had teamed up and were intent on destroying Da Bobfather by grabbing Da Manny in "the New World Order of boxing" -- some real Illuminati syet. Holla!