Ronda Rousey, the Jennifer Lawrence of MMA, in L.A.

BY David A. Avila ON January 09, 2014

Ronda DC Sara McMann 0be93LOS ANGELES----Quirky, intelligent and as open as the pages of a newspaper, Ronda Rousey steals the show wherever she appears.

Even at the press conference that included two others.

Rousey, 26, arrived with her next challenger Sara McMann, 33, to hype UFC 170, which takes place at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas on Feb. 22. Light heavyweight contender D.C. Cormier showed up too at Flemings steakhouse in L.A. Live.

When Rousey talks, people do listen as she speaks about eye colors, Cuban judo, her prettier sisters and her tomboy life. She’s the Jennifer Lawrence of mixed martial arts. Whatever comes to her quick-snap mind is what she says. It’s lured her into troubled waters but nothing too serious that could endanger her career as a streaking MMA star.

Now the blonde judo warrior meets another Olympic medal winner in McMann, who stood out as a wrestler in the 2004 Olympic Games. It’s the battle of Mount Olympus.

“You don’t pit one sport against another sport,” said McMann, when asked if it would be a test of judo versus wrestling. “There are so many different factors.”

When asked if she would be confrontational with McMann, Rousey answered, “It’s difficult when you fight against someone you respect.”

McMann seemed to relish the media attention that comes with her first title fight against the leader of the female fighter’s movement. She also admires the way that Rousey handles the constant barrage of questions and interaction.

Cormier, who will fight Rashad Evans, said he knows both former Olympians and is quite excited about seeing them perform against each other.

“These are women that have done things that most women only dreamed about,” said Cormier, who was an Olympic teammate of Rousey’s for two Olympics and with McMann for one. “These girls are unbelievable athletes.”

Rousey surveyed her thoughts when asked if it’s just another fight or does it compare to her previous fight with Miesha Tate.

“I have to approach her differently,” admitted Rousey in a rare deliberate response, “than Miesha.”

It was not too much of a Jennifer Lawrence moment. Well, maybe Jennifer Lawrence is the Ronda Rousey of the movie world?

Ronda tidbits: Her two favorite boxers are Victor Ortiz and Gennady Golovkin. “He’s a good boy.”

Rousey’s sister is a journalist.

Her birthday is Feb. 1, the day Golovkin defends the IBO middleweight title against Osumanu Adama in Monte Carlos, Monaco.

I think she's more like the Julia Stiles of MMA.

Carmine Cas says:

I'll take Jennifer Lawrence over her. She def looks more like Julia Stiles. I didn't know Rousey was only 26, I thought she was in her early 30's

Bernie Campbell says:

Mr, Avilla! Real estate promoting again? You gotta report on something pertanant or get a job as a parts salesman! Who the fch is Jennifer Lawemce? Carol Lawrence Ive heard of, Lawrence Welk! Carol used to advertise spaghetti sauce frequently, better known on her affiliation with a famous entertainer and not to shabby herself in her own endeavours! Why does the sponsor continuously force feed this sh.. down our throats! Buyer beware! Come back when you have some meat! Please don't delete this emtry!

I didnt even read the article, I just saw Bcamp was in the house and am compelled to read and try to interpret his brilliance...

Looking at the Roasts pics, you have to be partially tortured being around those fantastic looking female players.

I love tennis, if it werent for baseball I would have tried to go pro. at 4 years old i could play my dad .

there was a track around the courts and my parents told me people would stop and watch me play as they

were mesmerized that a child so young could play..

my son and i play all the time when we have time.

big question can you get them to stop grunting? it ruins the game, cant even watch it.

were mesmerized that a child so young could play..

my son and i play all the time when we have time.

Theres always time for tennis A-Seng. I play alot, once or twice a week, at a pretty high level if I do say so myself. I am 46 years old. I know alot of men and women who are still playing at a high level in their 50s and 60s. Hand eye coordination. I too used to play alot of baseball as a kid in the late 70's and early 80's. I hit left handed so when I switched to tennis the two hand backhand swing was very simular to the baseball swing. It was the first thing I was good at and it took off from there. About the grunting, it doesn't bother me. It does bother alot of fans. The next generation of pros will not be allowed to grunt as loud as todays players. They are trying to squash it at the junior level nowadays. At my level. the club level, I haven't seen alot of beautiful women. There is a woman where I play who wears all the Sharapova gear. Problem is she is about 5 ft and 50 years old. The first time I saw her from far away I thought she was OK but as I got closer I wished I had stayed far away.