Dr. Goodman Responds To Team Rios Slam on Testing Protocol in Macau

BY Michael Woods ON December 16, 2013

rios drugs slide 4fcd4Word came out last week that Brandon Rios tested positive for a banned substance following his Nov. 23 loss to Manny Pacquiao in Macau. Team Rios responded with protests, and strength and conditioning coach Alex Ariza, who oversaw elements of Rios' diet and supplement intake in the leadup to the bout, said he doubts the veracity of the tests.

In several interviews, Ariza said that the protocol for the post-fight test was substandard, in his view. He said that Rios gave a urine sample into a "regular drinking glass" in a Fighthype piece, and then that liquid was poured into another cup. I followed up with Ariza on Sunday night about the positive test, after asking him about some accusations of misdeeds that were bouncing around Twitter on Sunday. He reiterated that his statement about the "drinking glass" stands, and that he saw this action with his own eyes. "There were about ten of us in the room," he told me. He said that the testing crew didn't have containers with them, and one tester went into the bathroom in the dressing room, and came back with a glass, and asked Rios to pee into that glass.

I reached out to Dr. Margaret Goodman, who runs the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association; VADA was contracted by all involved parties to handle testing for the Pacquiao-Rios fight. I asked her to respond to Ariza's assertions, that the testing protocol wasn't top grade.

Goodman told me that in her view the testing was done in professional fashion. "The urine specimen was collected by a highly reputable collection organization and experienced collection officers who routinely collect samples for the Olympic movement," Goodman said. "The specimen was collected, as per protocol, in a sterile vessel that was in factory-sealed packaging prior to the collection. The athlete chose among several sterile vessels in individually sealed packaging. At no time was the specimen in a drinking glass, as has been reported. The athlete signed the paperwork at the collection site, specifically confirming that the sample had been collected according to protocol. Neither the athlete nor any members of his team reported anything unusual at the collection, after the collection, nor after the test results were reported to the athlete, promoter, commission, and ABC on December 2nd. The athlete was given seven days to request the B sample analysis, but he did not respond."

Ariza told me he had no knowledge of the "B" sample status, for the record.

Goodman said that at the time of the collection, Team Rios didn't pipe up and complain about the manner of collection. "Neither the athlete nor his trainers made any claims of abnormalities of any kind until the recent media reports," she said.

Rios was suspended, until April 24, by the China Professional Boxing Organization.

Ariza told me that he still doesn't know how the banned substance Rios' sample contained, methylhexaneamine, also known as dimethylpentylamine or DMAA, and used by some as a weigh loss aid, would have made its way into Rios' system. He had said when the news of the Rios positive came out that he was under the impression that the substance can be found in energy drinks, but told me he now understands that the FDA banned the chemical DMAA.

He implied, heavily, that the timing of the test was dubious, and intended to be disruptive, as it occured the day before another Ariza-Robert Garcia client, Marcos Maidana, was to fight Adrien Broner.

It is a severe understatement to say Ariza has had an interesting month. He karate kicked Freddie Roach during a fracas days for the Macau faceoff. Nobody involved in that spat came off well, with slurs and nasty mocking coming from several parties. I asked Ariza if he'd do anything differently if the same event occured today. "What I did is not something I'm proud about, but I didn't attack (like Roach did)," he said. If Roach had merely entered the gym and asked Garcia politely to exit, no beef would have occured, he said. He implied that Roach was jealous of the attention and acclaim Garcia has received, and acted up because of envy.

I did convey that I found the mocking of Roach's Parkinson's symptoms distasteful and ironic, as any fighter who has taken punishment might well be susceptible to the same symptoms down the line. "I get it," Ariza replied. "It was the heat of the moment though. I've known Freddie for six years, his tirades I've seen before." He said that he believes Roach to be capable of inflicting damage, and said the trainer isn't so affected by his condition that he couldn't be able to muster a strong attack. "If you catch mitts for Manny Pacquiao, you can't be that bad," he said.

I offered a hypothetical which made Ariza chuckle. Mano a mano, Ariza vs. Roach, who'd win? He laughed, paused, and said, "I can't answer that."

It's evident that the air between the two hasn't cleared, however. "I've never really lashed out at Freddie the way he's lashed out at me," Ariza said. "Freddie is the past, and Robert (Garcia) is my future."

He said he's still working with Maidana, Rios and Mikey Garcia. So, nobody has dumped you? He chuckled. "No, not yet," Ariza said.

dino da vinci says:

Several things. Freddy could have handled it better, but Ariza was way out of line and his actions were disgraceful.

I'm going to share two Ariza stories with you, Rad.

I managed the finest fighter I've seen in my lifetime. Sterling amateur career, 105-2, Two Time National Champion. Only two sparring partners ever climbed back in the ring with him a second time: Danny Garcia, twice (The late '80's Danny Garcia, who was 12-0 at the time) and Alex Ariza on multiple occasions. My fighter hit Ariza so hard one time he screamed. The only time I've ever witnessed that.

A few years later, I'm with a different fighter and we're getting ready to fight Ariza. My kid comments that he was at Ariza's last fight, fought a tough as nails opponent and was absolutely robbed. My fighter could box a ton, and I felt we would be too much for him. Ariza cuts my kid badly and there is blood everywhere. They alternate winning rounds and it's an easy fight to score (draw). I'm just hoping they don't rob my fighter. Announcement comes, they give the fight to my kid. Great for us, bad for boxing; and more particularly, bad for Alex Ariza. I felt bad (guilty?) that a fighter fought his heart out and the judges (see my 'Judging the Judges', coming soon) put another undeserved nail in his career coffin. I walked over to where a very emotional Ariza was seated, sat down on the bench next to him, and mentioned just two things to him. I told him that I’m the best in the world at scoring fights and the fight was a draw. I also told him to try not to let these bad decisions distract him from any goals or dreams he may have.

I have shared words with many of my fighters’ opponents, but only after the bout…with Johnny Tapia being the lone exception. And I’ve never thought much of this habit until Dean Lohuis of the California Athletic Commission commented to me that he saw me attempting to console Ariza and that it was a very nice thing to do.

Not until you’ve watched another man’s hand being raised, when you know deep in the core of your being that it was supposed to be your hand, can you fully appreciate this.

Freddy Roach. I’m familiar with Freddy’s work more than most, being a fellow New Englander. In my opinion, I believe the great Eddie Futch made one of his few career mistakes when he tried to alter Freddy’s style. I believe, left alone, Freddy, while maybe still not winning a world title, may have defeated some of the bigger names he faced.

Interesting story Dino......never knew Ariza was a former boxer...and apparently a pretty tough one. You guys surprise me all the time.

No Joke TNT Coach Freddie Roach would and could still KAYO Alex Ariza.

BTW, Dino, I have no memory of it. But baby me saw Freddie get a gift decision over my southpaw Fi-Am Texnoy cousin in the United States' 1977 National AAU tournament.

Maybe I will download the footage of that long-ago fight on "Daily Motion" and "Youtube" one of these days. But Classic ESPN/Wide-World of Sports may come after me for copyrights' violatiosn. Da muthasuckas are always on my nine. Holla!

Also I know Alex Ariza by way of San Diego State Universe. I cannot get into what's up, or you will be able to straight-up I-D me. Hehehe! I love being hiding in plain sight. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

Talk about a family involvement in boxing! Paul Roach fought in the '50s. Barbara Roach, his wife, a boxing judge. And of course you may have heard of Joey, Freddie, and Pepper.

I have never given it much thought, but I can't remember anyone other than us tying Ariza's gloves. He may have been self-trained. Radam can't say this with certainty, because as tough as Freddie was and is. (Just look at the names on his resume. Tells you about the league he was in. Off the top of my head Bobby Chacon and Hector Camacho to name just two...)

You'd be making a California-size mistake if you don't think for a moment that Ariza is tough. Trust me, you have no idea. But that's the thing, you walk into a gym in LV today, you have Eddy Mustapha Muhammad training someone, you have Boza-Edwards running on the treadmill (hope that marathon went well for you) and Floyd sparring whomever, Roger talking smack, Floyd Sr, talking smack, and on and on, and you realize at some point that you're in a building with a historic amount of talent...and dangerous people if they choose to be. Certainly not all gyms are filled with tough guys, but that would be the way to bet. And while that was a squirrel-like thing that Ariza did, that reflects on his character, not necessarily his toughness. Yes, I haven't seen him in over 20 years, but I'd bet you he still wouldn't be a walk in the park for anybody.

The Shadow says:

Dino is a G. Just based on what I'm reading, I know I'd be honored to have a training session with a guy like you.

Ditto I'm impressed

DITTO, Dino! Tough guys don't last in our sport. They do stupid jive like bytch kicking. Brains are what ride long in the sweet science. While Alex Ariza was going to SDSU, he came to a local gym or two. That tough-guy tude got him fudged up and ____ _____! Dude has a lot of secrets, and he's riding dirty.

He gave syet to a fighter -- Maidana -- that didn't need that stuff. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

@The Shadow. Let's work on making that happen.

@BSug. Thx Brown.

@Radam. You do realize if that's how he rolls, people are going to assume that that fighting piece of machinery from the Philippines may have had some help along the way, don't you, hmmm? Rad? Rad??? :-)

YUP! You are 100-percent right, Dino. Everybodee and dey momma, who are haters and vaporers, are and were on the hate train that Alex Ariza fed Da Manny dat syet.

We got news for you, though, Dino. We had the watch on AA from day one when he was in Da Manny's employment.

We knew and know that bytch AA rides dirty. Ninety-percent of these so-labeled strength-and-condition coaches do. And they openly offer you risky dirty service or da clean one.

AA has been straight-up busted feeding Bam Bam dat syet. That is all that it is to it. Our sport is openly seedy and shady. And jive goes on. Bam Bam didn't have the hook up in Macau to get away with been on dat syet like Hulkquez and Money May have been in Sin City.

Don't forget that NSAC changed da roids' ratio from 4-to-1 to 6-to-1 to protect a dirty-arse Money May. Holla!

As I said, Dino. Alex Ariza and I have a heated history all the way back to his SDSU days. Dude will live foul at the drop of a hat. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

Hey Rad, you know where I stand on the topic. Any S&C coach caught needs to experience a lifetime banishment. God forbid an opposing fighter fights one of these guys on an unlevel playing fields and suffers career ending damage, damage that will last a lifetime, or worse still...

Criminal charges will need to be brought, pursued, and hopefully the sentence fits the crime. I assure you that that will be a deterrent.

I agree and have said this in the past.

stormcentre says:

I'm going to share two Ariza stories with you, Rad.

Dino - good post. Who was this?

dino da vinci says:

Hello Storm.

The Dominican Republic's Jose Arias, a scary, scary fighter. Between his last amateur bout and his eventual pro debut, he suffered a motorcycle crash followed by a drunk driver crashing into his vehicle while he was waiting for the signal to change. It is my believe he would have been the world's first billion dollar athlete had he remained injury-free.

The Shadow says:

Dino, I'd love to! Where's your gym? I'll let you know when I get a chance to travel through!

The Shadow says:

Damn, billion dollar? He must have been a charismatic personality too, then? What weight class was Jose?

dino da vinci says:

Tons! Joe walked around at 42, and made 40 easy.

We have a gym in CR, but in the states best would be LV.

I'll be stateside in February.

stormcentre says:

Hello Storm.

Thanks for that DDV. Didn't Marco Antonio Barrera fight someone with that name?

dino da vinci says:

Thanks for that DDV. Didn't Marco Antonio Barrera fight someone with that name?

Same guy. Not the same fighter.

stormcentre says:

OK so that was Arias after the accident and all that?