Victorious Rigondeaux Likes His Style Just Fine

BY Bernard Fernandez ON December 08, 2013

Rigondeaux vs AgbekoATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – When you stop and think about it, boxing fans are no different than moviegoers that have to decide which flick they want to see on a given night out. Whether you’re heading to the arena or your local cinema, the choice sometimes has to be made between The Fast and the Furious and Driving Miss Daisy.

No one can dispute that Guillermo Rigondeaux (13-0, 8KOs), who successfully defended his WBA and WBO super bantamweight championships here Saturday night with a typically efficient unanimous decision over Joseph Agbeko (29-5, 22 KOs), is a defensive genius. Most opponents can barely touch the two-time Olympic gold medalist from Cuba when he is in peak form, and the 33-year-old southpaw certainly appeared to be at or near the top of his game against Agbeko, a former two-time world bantamweight titlist from Ghana who would have preferred to turn the fight into a pugilistic demolition derby instead of another mostly uneventful drive down safe streets by the man known as “El Chacal.” Judges Ron McNair, Eugene Grant and Robin Taylor all had Rigondeaux pitching a 120-108 shutout.

Really, how we get our entertainment is a matter of personal preference, and there are those who will always prefer a screeching, high-speed ride on the wild side to someone expertly demonstrating the proper way to parallel-park.

Count Top Rank founder and CEO Bob Arum, who promotes the Miami-based Rigondeaux, among those who would like to see the master technician add a bit more pizzazz to his exquisite displays of ring generalship. Like a lot of people, Arum has a fondness for guys who go down in the trenches, to spill a little blood, even if some of it is their own, and score dramatic knockouts.

After Rigondeaux’s nearly flawless unanimous decision on April 13 over Nonito Donaire, the Boxing Writers Association of America’s 2012 Fighter of the Year, Arum – who also promotes Donaire – reacted to the outcome as if he’d just found a roach floating in the punch bowl at the party he was throwing.  He complained that Rigondeaux was not a TV-friendly kind of fighter, and that “every time I mention him (to HBO Sports executives), they throw up.”

The suits at HBO, which televised three of Saturday night’s bouts in the Adrian Phillips Ballroom of Boardwalk Hall – super welterweight slugger James Kirkland (32-1, 28 KOs) weathered an early assault from Glen Tapia (20-1, 12 KOs) to score a brutal, sixth-round technical knockout and two-time former world title challenger Matthew Macklin (30-5, 20 KOs) scored a 10-round, unanimous decision over Lamar Russ (14-1, 7 KOs) in the others – apparently suppressed their gag reflexes long enough to give Rigondeaux another high-visibility shot at winning over viewers who worshipped at the altar of the late Arturo Gatti. Suffice to say the jury is still out as far as future projections regarding Rigondeaux’s ability to ever produce the kind of thrills and high Nielsen ratings Gatti so routinely delivered.

“I wouldn’t blame HBO for never putting Rigondeaux back on,” longtime HBO analyst Larry Merchant said after  the Cuban, who defected to the United States in February 2009, had clinically dissected Donaire. “I think Rigondeaux is a talented, beautiful boxer, but prizefighting is about entertainment. You want a fighter that can excite.”

For his part, Rigondeaux – who believes he is a better all-around fighter, pound-for-pound, than Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Andre Ward – isn’t disposed to do much tinkering. What’s that saying? If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

“I fight my own way, my own style,” Rigondeaux said a couple of days before he schooled Agbeko. “I do what I need to do to win.”

And what of Arum’s occasionally unflattering critiques of Rigondeaux’s obviously successful but comparatively bland style?

“Bob Arum is not the one doing the fighting,” Rigondeaux said. “If he’s not pleased with me or how I fight, maybe he should consider letting me out of my contract. I’m sure there are other promoters who would love to have Guillermo Rigondeaux fighting for them.”

Upon further review, as NFL officials are wont to say, Rigondeaux softened that stance somewhat. Hey, Arum is still signing his paychecks.

“I understand Bob Arum has a job to do,” he said. “I’m very appreciative that Bob Arum has helped me make some money. I have nothing bad to say about him.”

Of course, Rigondeaux would like for Arum not to have anything bad to say about him, either. Telling it like it is, or how you think it is, is a knife that cuts both ways.

“In the ring, I always feel that I can do whatever I want, that I’m in total control at all times,” said Rigondeaux, who added that his punching power is often underrated by media know-nothings who see only his impenetrable defense. “Anybody can beat anybody else on a given night, right? That’s what they say. So let the others think they have a chance to beat me. Line them up. I’ll fight anybody. But the problem is that nobody wants to fight me.”

Agbeko might have wanted to fight, but he spent 12 rounds pawing at the empty air that Rigondeaux had just vacated. The punch stats were, action-craving spectators, abysmal: Agbeko landed just 48 of 349 (14 percent) to 144 of 859 (17 percent) for Rigondeaux. Both finished below the dreaded Mendoza Line.

“It was just hard to get to him,”Agbeko said. “He’s very fast and he has great foot movement.”

For his part, Rigondeaux was hardly dismayed by the sporadic boos and catcalls that rang out in the last several rounds.

Buoyed by a crowd that was very vocal in its support for him, Tapia, a resident of Passaic, N.J., who sold over 1,000 tickets to family members, friends and supporters, came out winging in the first round against Kirkland. By the time the bell rang to end the stanza, Kirkland had a mouse under his left eye and the understanding he probably was in not in for the easiest of nights.

But electing to stand and trade with Kirkland, one of boxing’s more damage-inflicting hitters, is probably a dubious strategy, as Tapia soon came to realize. Kirkland began to get far the better of the exchanges and by the end of the fifth Tapia looked ready to go – more than ready, in fact. Referee Steve Smoger appeared inclined to stop the bout then, but ring physician Blair Bergen looked Tapia over and, with some hesitation, gave the OK for him to continue.

“I did (think about stopping it), but the doctor told me it was all right for (Tapia) to continue,” Smoger said. “I was on the verge of doing it a couple of times, but then the kid returned fire.”

Tapia, however, was only on the receiving end, all but defenseless, when Smoger wrapped his protective arms around him 38 seconds into Round 6.

Kirkland, who landed 305 of 644 punches – 287 of the connects were power shots – lauded the bloodied Tapia, who was quickly taken to AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center, for the courage he had displayed.

“It was a real war,” Kirkland said. “I told everyone it would be this way. We traded some good shots. I came in with a game plan and I stuck to it. I had to be a warrior, and I was.”

Macklin, who was able to impose his superior strength on Russ and wear him down a bit more with each succeeding round, immediately called for a rematch with Germany’s Felix Sturm (39-3-2, 18 KOs), who dethroned IBF champion Darren Barker (26-2, 16 KOs) on an emphatic second-round stoppage Saturday in Stuttgart, Germany. When they met on June 25, 2011, Sturm retained the WBA 160-pound crown on a split decision.

“I feel good,” Macklin said after he had handed Russ his first professional defeat. “I was a little impatient in the beginning, trying for the knockout. I relaxed later and felt more comfortable.”

In non-televised bouts of note, super featherweight Toka Kahn Clary (9-0-1, 6 KOs) scored a six-round unanimous decision over Ramsey Luna (11-1, 5 KOs) in a battle of unbeatens; super middleweight prospect Jesse Hart (11-0, 10 KOs) continued to impress with a first-round stoppage of Tyrell Hendrix (10-3-1, 3 KOs), and Russian middleweight Matt Korobov (22-0, 13 KOs), who was wobbled in Round 1, seized control thereafter, dropping a game Derek Edwards (26-3-1, 13 KOs) three times in all before Smoger stepped in 28 seconds into the ninth round.

Kirkland was incredible... Unbelievable comeback.. Anne Wolfe is a beast. They better pick his opponents carefully.

But I consider his fight more like halftime intermission entertainment than boxing..
I know the audience was greatful.

What happened to Agbeko never saw him fight in survival mode before
Maybe he had a date and didn't want to get his hair mussed.
Next time get Rigo an opponent who will fight back.

DaveB says:

Donaire needs to stay as far away from Rigondeaux as possible. Like Shavers used to say he needs to get amnesia when he hears his name. I liked the drive in a screeching car to the parallel parking analogy because Rigondeaux's style is about as exciting as that. Just like 3rd Bass had RAPE rappers against phony entertainers I would like to have FABB fans against boring boxers. I like great skills but I like some entertainment value too otherwise I could just read a good book and it would be time better utilized. But happy to see Rigo is off punishment for beating Donaire.

As far as Kirkland it was an entertaining fight. He needs defense. Rigondeaux takes things to the extreme and so does Kirkland. They are polar opposites. I wish Kirkland had of cupped his last punch a bit more to the right and hit Smoger right in his head. Smoger gave him a free shot at Garcia. Smoger should have stopped Kirkland from throwing not hugged the defenseless Garcia giving Kirkland a free one.

That was too much boxing for one day. Now we have to go into the drought after next week until the end of January.

DaveB says:

Excuse me, Tapia not Garcia. It gets confusing sometime.

You mofus are just lefty hating the Cuban Willie. Hehehe! He shutdown King Kong. Now where is Godzilla? Willie is lookin' for him. Hahaha! Holla!

The Shadow says:

It's just the perception of him that's bad and everything he does will get viewed through that filter. If it was Mayweather, Ward or B-Hop, they would be saying "masterpiece!"

One of the tricks they teach you in psychology and theory of persuasion is that you can point perception of a phenomenon in a certain direction by creating a filter through which it is viewed.

Or optical illusions, if you will, as you so poignantly often point out, RG.

Here's a fun game. Who do you like better, Theresa or Adolf?

Theresa is a happy, opportunistic, driven, talented, determined person.

Adolf is a cynical, opportunistic, driven, determined, talented person.

In the above examples, only the first word is different. But 9/10 people -- especially if the examples were spaced further apart -- would find Theresa a nicer person, simply because the initial filter you see the person through will shape your overall perception of the totality of the individual.

To me, I feel like Rigo suffers from the same crap. And all these reports keep reinforcing that filter and perpetuating that stereotype.

Dude never clinches, never grabs, he's never scared, and he's flashy with his defense.

If the content providers made a better effort to educate its viewers about the sweet science, like the NBA and NFL do with its analysts pointing out certain subtleties -- Showtime actually used to do this with that Mensa boy Bobb Czyz -- perhaps people would appreciate the art and science more.

Defense wins championships. High-scoring games are fun. Yeah, the Phoenix Suns were fun to watch. Yeah, the early 2000s Rams were incredible to watch. But they rarely make it to the finish line.

Spurs do. Pistons do. Ravens. Mayweather. Ward. Rigondeaux.

Guys like Kirkland are boxing's equivalent of those high-octane, shootout sports teams. But by no means should that be a reflection of the entire sport!

For me, I get too uncomfortable when guys take too many flush shots because 1) I know it doesn't feel good and 2) brain damage is real and I know through experience.

Bottom line, he should get credit. And not every lazy headline about him should be about style.

Talk about his character instead. Or his impressive poise, his unbelievable balance, his remarkable patience, his astute understanding of the ring, his unmatched ring generalship etc.

My headline would read something like this: "The Jackal Rigondeaux tames King Kong in another masterful display of the sweet science" or "Rigondeaux reduces King Kong to harmless chimp."

That's my daily rant, LOL!

DaveB says:

I totally disagree with you guys. It has nothing to do with lefties. I have a left hand too and I'm very fond of it. The boring boxers with great skills get their due as the are on top of the p4p lists. I understand the brilliance of them applying their craft. The problem is that they just aren't exciting. I don't like watching guys with bar fighting skills either. I like guys with skills, defense and that will go out and step up the offense too. Duran was a guy that was highly offensive but was also extremely good defensively. He just never got credit for it. You are going to get hit sometimes in boxing. Guys that go out there and never think they are going to get hit are delusional. I understand trying to minimize contact but some fighters take the safety first fighting and defensive fighting to a level where they stink out the place. That will always be part of their headlines. They can be hard to watch. The great basketball teams of the 80's the Bulls, Lakers and Celtics could not have won without great defense and all other facets of the game but they were so fun to watch. It was show time. That's what I'm talking about. The hesitant to punch, hugging, holding boxers are not entertaining. If they are defensive wizards that do punch now you have my attention.

The Shadow says:

Bold sounds like Wlad to me. Underlined sounds like Rigo to me.

What did you mean about it has nothing to do with lefties?

DaveB says:

Radam always says it is lefty time. He always thinks we hate southpaws.

It is all in the eye of the beholder as to what people like. Mortcola likes Wlad's style.

This fight was alot like the win over Donaire. Rigo landed a few hard shots early and Nonito/Agbeko became very wary of getting too close. Rigo will need a true talent to challenge him. I watched the Showtime card first then the HBO on DVR. The Rigo fight was the seventh fight of the night and I was dozing off here and there. With the 4 fights on ShoBox from Friday that made 11 for the weekend. That may be a record!

Carmine Cas says:

Great point Shadow, it is how you present the subject to the audience which influences their opinion. Everyone has their preferences Rigo is very defensive but none the less one of the best in the game.

Carmine Cas says:

Exactly, someone needs to push him to bring out his offense. For example, Angulo-Lara

Hehehe! Hey DaveG -- I mean DaveB -- it's always been lefty time. Who is the leader of the free world? A lefty! Who is now the richest man in the world? A lefty! Who is now the number one Hip Hop artist? A lefty! Who was the first American in space? A lefty? Who was the first man on the moon? A lefty! Who is the movie star, who has been in the most movie? A lefty!

Who is the boxer to win the most divisional titles. Who was the first boxer to win three straight O-Games boxing gold medals? A lefty! What was "Old Blue Eyes?" A lefty? What was the "Hardest Working Man in Show business?" A lefty! Who has the fastest punches ever clocked? A lefty. The greatest dancer ever -- Bing Cosby -- what was he? A lefty!

The most important discoveries in the world have been by lefties. Albert E, Galileo, Issac Newton and George Washington Carver come to mind. I could name a ton more. But what will the world be without the right-brained humans. Hehehe! Holla!

My BAD! That greatest dancer on the Big Screen would be Fred Astaire not Bing Cosby. Holla!

RG has surely done his lefty research.... So that means everything else belongs to us Righties... How long is that list?..lol..just kidding? carry on RG.

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

Rigo: "If I was mexican, my style wouldn't be a problem. Their style is get hit twice, to hit twice." I appreciate fighters like Kirkland and Gatti, but the true essence of the sweet science is to hit and not get hit. Rigo isn't going to change his style, and why should he? Holla!

I appreciate a pure boxing hit and not get hit style. However if you are landing 10 punches per round

then you may not find yourself headlining HBO telecasts anymore. Along with that comes lower paydays.

I think Rigo has a lot more to offer, he has speed, combination punching and good power.

However, I wont be changing up my night to see him live..

Good comments Amayseng.....The better the competition the better Rigo performs. Who would a' thought King Kong was going to pull an old Bhop move....by shamelessly stinking out the fight. I thought it was an achievement for Rigo to totally demoralize a naturally fiesty guy like Agbeko. Agbeko was more aggressive at the weigh in.

Personally rather than try to transform Rigo in James Kirkland.. I would like to see him be himself .....Just put him in with good fighters like Donaire, Mares, or Cruz. Lomanchenko.

The Shadow says:

From a competitive standpoint, I say put him in with Mayweather. That would be a purist's wet dream. Mine anyway. Sounds like mania but the weight difference won't be that much different than vs. Donaire. We're talking no more than five pounds and two inches.

CAN YOU IMAGINE THE SKILL ON DISPLAY?? OMFG!

If and when he goes to GBP/SHO, realistically, I can see him molest guys like Gonzalez, Santa Cruz, Mares, and maybe some of the guys Broner feasted on at 130. Even with bigger guys, at this point, he would toy with Marquez. Gamboa.

But seriously -- and I can't believe I'm saying this -- I think this guy would frustrate a Mayweather more than anyone. Money May would only win by a late KO because of his physical strength and experience. He ain't outpointing Rigo. Period.

FWIW, I'm also trying to figure out how I can get on a date with Rihanna so yes, I dream pretty big.

You can date Rhianna just don't bring her back with a black eye.

Hehehe! You righties, have a very short list, I just didn't want to show off. Orpah W is a lefty. Juliet Cesar was a lefty. Prezs Abe Lincoln, Harry Truman, Gerald Ford, G. Bush Sr., Bill Clinton and Ronnie Reagan were levies running the "Free World" before Pres O.

Here goes a lot of more lefties, just for me to show my @$$: Ayumu, the chimp, Dan Aykroyd, Don Rickles, Jay Leno, Natalie Cole and her pops Nat, Tupac Shukur, Justin Bieber, "Fiddy" Curtis Jackson, Issac Hayes, Lady Gaga, Spike Lee, Caroline Kennedy, David Bowie, Paul McCartney, Leonardo da Vinci, TSS's Dino da Vinci, Larry Bird, LeBron James, Chris Tucker, Vincent Van Gogh, Morgan Freeman, Michael Bloomberg, Alan Greenspan, Jim Hendrix, Prince William, Richard Pryor, Bruce Willis, Judy Garland, Prince Charles, Julia Roberts, Angelina Jolie, Whooping Goldberg, Pete Fonda, Jerry Seinfield, Rock Hudson, Omar Epps, Mark Wahlberg, Laurence Fishburne and Goldie Hawn. And those are at the top of my head.

Lefties ROCK and rule, BABEEEE! Holla!

True dat, true DAT! Put the Cuban Willie in with better boxers and he fights better. I sparred the slick cat since our amateur days. He wars with me, because I will and like to show out and mow down any @$$ -- slick or a weak d¡¢k. And I know how to nic and pick.

It's all about da pay for another day, so you play to safely stay. Loma and Rigo would be a beautiful display of adroited violence.

Why should Cuban Willie lower his science, poetry and artful skills to satisfy caveman urgings? He's in the sweet science in a squared jungle, not in the savage science in a bird-like cage.

Later for the blood love of the MMA/UFC. A fight will break out with Willie with the right fighter. The match makers need to step up their game. They are cheating and cheaping [$¡¢] the fanfaronades and fanboys. Holla!

The Shadow says:

Preach, Pastor G, PREACH!!! I think I just caught the Holy Ghost! HALLELUJAH! Hahahaha!

The Shadow says:

You can date Rhianna just don't bring her back with a black eye.

Suge, she might give me one! Caribbean women are feisty

The Shadow says:

You can date Rhianna just don't bring her back with a black eye.

Suge, she might give me one! Caribbean women are feisty

Suge, she might give me one! Caribbean women are feisty

Right Shadow..... Too much Mouf....lol...

But both of you guys are right.. You want to see Rigo fight... Give him some competition.
I thought King Kong was better than that... The Commission should dock his pay for insubordination...refusal to fight.

DaveB says:

I still think that a lot of these top P4P people are boring stylistically. I didn't say they aren't good. I will admit I would be interested in seeing any of them boxing one another. I have some purist in me too. And by the way I hate to see Kirkland eat all that leather. The fans like it, the networks like it but it will not bode well for his future. He'll be on his own when everyone is finished with him. As a side note good to hear the heavyweight is coming out of the coma. I hope he has a full recovery. That will be my Christmas wish.

Agreed Dave on both accounts Mogamed (good news) and Kirkland. On one hand he miraculously made a return to his old self... But on the other hand, staggering around the ring, getting his chin checked all too frequently is not a good look for James..neither is it healthy. James does have skill, but he disregards the most important part of his anatomy...the brain.

Larry Bird is right handed, or at least he shoots a basketball right handed. I know he can shoot both, as I can shoot both, but I am primarily right handed as does Bird.

Kirkland is going to have a bad future for sure, he EATS shots like he is getting paid by the punch. Any hard hitter with good footwork and D will put him out. GGG would hurt him for life.

EXCELLENT news about the HW coming out of his coma, what terrible lingering news its been the past few weeks with him.

Hope Tapia is ok, he took a beating from Kirkland. His corner should be banned.

Rigo is a pure boxer and I appreciate his craft, but I am with DaveB, his last fight is not a headlining fight.

keep him on the undercard and it will keep expectations low.

LB is definitely a lefty, A-Seng. He shoots "even-handed," as a lot of B-ball players do. Holla!

LB is the opposite of Michael Vick. So you can say that LB is ambidextrous. He eats and writes left handed, but he shoots right handed dominant.

MV eats and writes right handed, but his throw the F-ball left handed. I'm all jived up. I write and eat and hit with both hands. But I left-handed dominant on near early thing. But I kick with my right foot. Holla!

Yea I figured that is what you meant with Bird, I did not know that and he is my and my dad's favorite player of all time.

Yep my son is like you, throws baseball and football right handed, swings a bat and golf club left, kicks left, shoots pool right although can left. You two are both confusing. I had a hell of a time when he was 3-5. of course he always ate lefty so I thought he was lefty everything....haha....now he is near 15 and working out with me.....Damn I am getting old..........especially from telling a sentimental parent story . haha

Oh and he plays ping pong lefty.

and he boxes right hand. when i switch him to southy he complains. so i make him to build coordination..

You two are all over the place.

Hehehe! YUP! I'm a lefty ping pong player too, but a righty dart shooter. I shoot a gun with my left, but a bow and arrow with my right. Holla!

That is crazy RG he shoots the same, you and my son are so similar.

What is your son? Did you pass it down to him as well?

Yup! My son is ambidextrous. But right-handed dominant. He writes, eats and boxes right handed, but bowls and shoot the b-ball left handed. Holla!

The Shadow says:

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGV97KJkNmk

The Shadow says:

...and this: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nj6swKFWP0

And please notice what the announcers are saying.

It is a giant myth that Rigo runs, just as it is a killer giant myth that Da Manny is a slow-of-hand-and-foot slugger that jumps straight in.

A person may not believe what he/she sees. But he/she sees what he/she believes. Both Rigo and Da Manny and Amir Khan are two-or-three times faster than Money May -- hand and feet -- but haters, fanboys, fanfaronades and "Lil Floyd's he-floozies can see it. Holla!

The winners of the April will get down in November. Holla!

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;41140]With using the above for my 6,000th post, let me now holla that the grapevine is yakking and attacking that an April card will bring a double main-event feature of the whining-bytch Marquez/Hulkquez vs Da Manny and the Two-loss, undefeated Cali Cranium Crusher dancing with the Siberian Rocky.

The winners of the April will get down in November. Holla![/QUOTE]

Wait, wait, are you on my roids, PEDs and a-side meth now?? Hahaha

Wow! Hulkquez is holding bytch-out tight. He said that reports are wrong that he will fight Da Manny again. Pride-fighting smart. Prizefighting stupid as heck. Healthy wise, because Marquez is now shot. He will be zombie trembling and shaking all over the squared jungle and get stopped.

It is time for him to retire. Holla!

I agree RG, he was foot slow as a turtle against Bradley, it may be time to hang them up before he starts taking unnecessary punishment...he has had a hell of a career though.

Marquez was never a speedster...but he's the best pure counter puncher in the business. Manny knows. JMM probably should quit while he's still on top instead of holding out for Bradley. But boxers rarely go when its time..
Funny.. He never ever bothered to rematch Mayweather...... That alone says volumes.

He never bothered to rematch Chris John neither nor Freddie Norwood. Marquez is small and smart with the optical illusions. He is also a good whining, deceptive bullsyeter with his pure counter punching of hand and mind. And he is a good accountant about who to pride fight for a nice prize.

He wants Bradley for the easier lesser of money. Da Manny would unfinished-business kayo him in another go. Marquez in da full-of-dat-syet Hulkquez knows that he will not hit the lotto twice. But he doesn't mind losing twice, just so long that it is not against Da Manny.

Bradley would kick his arse again in easy fashion. Holla!

pocket. Tim was in and out and gone and Pac had to come flying tripping in to get clipped.

Jmm is a phenomenal fighter I just think at the top level he never wins again. At least not officially, he always

wins in his own mind.

Floyd spanked him to an embarrassing level.

The Good Doctor says:

[QUOTE=amayseng;41191]Yes Bsug but now his footing and agility is slow enough to where he is not able to get shots off on a guy in the

wins in his own mind.

Floyd spanked him to an embarrassing level.[/QUOTE]

dino da vinci says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;41194]Lil' Floyd was just immature and being an overweight arsehole. He would have destroyed Marquez at the agreed-upon weight. Holla![/QUOTE]

Yeah, he would have defeated him anyway, but he wasn't taking any chances.

YUP! "Any chances" because of the fright factor. Money May is hampered by fright. He will not handle things that scare him. Holla!

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=The Good Doctor;41193]Love JMM but as the adage goes, in boxing you get old in one night. The Bradley fight was his night. He can still handle most B and C fighters but I think the elite level now eludes him. As for Floyd spanking him, he absolutely did but I am curious to your answer on this:

Is that fight any different if the playing field was more level? Floyd never made weight and was a middleweight vs a first time 144lb'er on fight night who came up from lightweight. I don't think Marquez would have beat him, but I do believe it would have been more interesting. (Marquez never should have agreed to those stipulations in the first place). What say you?[/QUOTE]

He was definitely not a middleweight, doc. That's a silly, silly myth. The man has never weighed more than 153 in his whole life.

In fact, there was probably no more than five pounds between them on fight night. Guys like RA the Rugged Man (an ignoramus if there was one) perpetuate that misconception.

If you notice, he didn't use size at any point to beat him. He used movement and superior boxing skill. He also used different little tricky old-school moves to negate any counter-punching opportunities for Marquez, which is what a master boxer does -- negate your strengths while flashing his.

If it took place at, say, 135, Marquez gets beat even worse. People forget, coming up in weight is not a matter of putting on a few pounds. It's a matter of shedding less weight. Which is actually a luxury.

Although Marquez moved up seven pounds, those two guys walk around at the same weight. Difference is, Floyd's walk-around weight has no flab and is primed and ready to fight with one day's notice, if he had to.

The Shadow says:

Damn right, RG. Would've smoked him bad. IMO, I just think he didn't want to risk the risk of risking being even 5% weaker from cutting five pounds. He's immaculate.

Or maybe he was just playing mind games, showing who's the boss. Maybe Storm or RG can shed some light on those podium pseudo-psycho tricks that take place.

But as he correctly said to Jim Lampley, "anything over 140 is a welterweight fight."