POLL: Mayweather Vs. Amir Khan...Thumbs Up Or Thumbs Down?

BY Michael Woods ON September 27, 2013

MayweatherAlvarez Hogan77 03450During the Wednesday Mayweather media luncheon in NYC, I tried to balance my understanding that it is ludicrous to simply perseverate on what comes next for Floyd, and short-change analysis of what he just did, and a reporters' instinct to mine for fresh intel.

So, I think I did that, and mixed judiciously my queries on the near past, the present, and the future. Regarding that future...I do wonder if I did get a hint (inadvertant, maybe?) about who Mayweather will fight next at the tail end of the luncheon, which was attended by Floyd, advisor Leonard Ellerbe, publicist Kelly Swanson and Showtime boxing boss Stephen Espinoza.

Floyd told the assembled that his brand is spreading, and that includes Mayweather branded clothing, and his boxing promotional squad. Espinoza took the baton, and said that there will be a major Mayweather push "in the UK" first, and then they'd be looking to create buzz and open wallets in other nations (like Dubai, Beijing, and Macau, Ellerbe said, interestingly referencing China aka Arum territory).

Hmm, the UK. Amir Khan territory.

And we are getting word that now Khan isn't as keen to fight Devon Alexander on Dec. 7 in Brooklyn as he seemed to be a month ago, and this leads us to wonder if there are parts of a puzzle coming together. You sensing maybe a Mayweather-Khan fight, at Wembley Stadium, perhaps, next May? I put forth my theory to Paul Malignaggi, the ex champ and concurrent Showtime analyst. During a Thursday media workout to hype the Monday Barclays Center theater card, topped by Sadam Ali, Malignaggi said he's heard on the grapevine that Khan is option one for Floyd's next extravaganza, in May 2014.

Is that a viable matchup, I asked. "Khan is popular enough," he said. He agreed with me that Khan's iffy chin would make a "Can Floyd KO him?" subplot a major element of the packaging. "He does get hit with left hooks," Malignaggi allowed, without capitulating to the "chinny" label. "Khan could touch Floyd but not if he's hesitent, and he's looked hesitent at times recently," Malignaggi said. "That's not a hard fight to sell in England." (Nor in Brooklyn, may I add, putting on my lobbyist hat lol.)

One man who doesn't agree is Kevin Cunningham, the trainer-manager for IBF welterweight champion Devon Alexander. An Alexander-Khan faceoff has been slated for Dec. 7 for months now, but terms haven't been reached. Cunningham told me Devon is training to fight on Dec. 7, and still preparing for Khan, but that easily could change in the blink of an eye. "It looks like maybe Khan is having cold feet, and is trying to get Mayweather next," Cunningham said. "I think that fight is a tough sell, though, if Khan doesn't do something to earn the right to fight Floyd. I don't think it's that big in the UK, I don't think Amir has that kind of following. As a fan, I think the winner of an Alexander-Khan fight, that is a worthy and deserving challenge for Floyd."

Cunningham cited Danny Garcia as somebody more worthy than Khan to snag that lotto ticket money versus Mayweather. "Garcia earned the right to a shot," he said. "I mean, they going to match Floyd against L'il Wayne next, because he's so popular? They'll turn boxing into a popularity contest. You have to try and make the best fights. Khan getting Floyd would be a f-----g joke."

The grapevine whispers that fellow lefty Zab Judah could slide into the Khan spot versus Alexander. Cunningham told me that hasn't been presented to him, but sounded amenable. "I don't know if it is the best style matchup," he said. "But it could be a hell of a fight. Zab is always dangerous, with his speed and power. Devon has never ducked anybody. If Khan does duck Devon, Zab is something we'd need to talk about. It could be interesting. I think it would be a hot ticket in Brooklyn."

Readers, help Team Mayweather, Team Showtime and Team Golden Boy with some free market research. Do you love, like or hate a Mayweather-Khan scrap? Do you think Khan rightly needs to fight an "eliminator" to truly earn a Floyd fight? Weigh in, in our Forum.

Follow Michael Woods on Twitter.

if khan can beat Garcia in a rematch or takes out Bradley or a top welter then perhaps.

as of today no thanks.

khan has speed but what is the use of a tool if you dont know how to apply it correctly?

floyd will beat the brakes off of him either way.

riverside says:

Money may doesn't have any competition between 140 and 154! besides Manny, he will outclass anybody else...Garcia..mathysee..khan etc, I wish Mikey Garcia was taller and heavier? but then again Mikey's chin has never hit flush?? We want Manny vs Money?

riverside says:

SouthPawFlo says:

When was last fight Khan looked Impressive??? How was Khan get the Nod over Garcia, when Garcia KO'd him and just beat the Boogeyman???

dino da vinci says:

as of today no thanks.

floyd will beat the brakes off of him either way.

Yep.

Sad thing is the sport would have been so much better off if Khan had even an adequate chin. Truth is he truly wants to fight everybody. Reality is that might be a bad idea. And while it would be great for his universal appeal, Mr. Mayweather will never fight in a ballpark, O2, London, MSG, etc. His home field advantage is the MGM Grand Garden and life being what it is, I can't blame him for never wanting to fight anywhere else. I can't even imagine what enticement could be offered to get him to go on the road. Really, think about it, how many extra million would it take to sway him? Those extra millions do not exist.

The Shadow says:

Yep.

He has a deal with the MGM Grand. And they pay him handsomely. Four years ago, Jerry Jones offered a $25m site fee. The Mayweather side didn't even deem that figure worth a personal visit.

I can see New York getting a fight if -- and that's a big if -- they can somehow negotiate a tax deal beforehand, which isn't totally unprecedented in public administration.

The real challenge is recouping the losses from casinos and the dirty money. I'm not sure they have the seedy infrastructure in place to do that in NYC quite yet. Would they have to go through the Italians?

London might have an outside shot. Dubai, too. And yes, it would be tremendous for his universal appeal. Especially since he's starting a clothing line, actively looking for retailers (which rumors say he will get soon; Macy's and the like) and might be exploring strategic alliances with established fashion brands in the MJ-Jordan Brand mold.

Ultimately, I think he stays put in Sin City for now but I wouldn't be surprised to see them go to China if Rob's $5 a pop PPV-model works well over there.

Money May loves to "SHOCK DA wirllllllddddd [sic]!" Sin City does not have him on lockdown or locked up. And "those extra milllions" do exist. Money May is WORLD CHAMPION, not the Sin City tramp -- I mean champ! Hehehe! As a WORLD CHAMPION, planet earth is his HOME! He follows the smell of funky BIG moolah. And after what Sin City creep judge C.J. Ross did to him, he knows that Sin City is not his sultanate. It is a burning helldom disguised as that. They are hollering: "BURN Money May, BURN!"

If the red-headed hype was a step faster and could fight a bit FOR REAL, Money May would have gotten a Pacquiao-Bradley-DOUBLE-MIRAGE delight. Yall know what time it is in a seedy, shady sport in a Sin City on PEDs, roids and super bulljive, and a lot of _____ _____ ______ ______!

Muthasuckas are so jealous and hateful of Money May's dominant, that they are just waiting for a bad-night slip-up close bout, then KaBOOM -- SIN CITY HIGHWAY ROBBERY! Don't be FOOLED! There are dark powers roaming around Sin City expecting to involve Money May in the BIGGEST ROBBERY in pugilism HISTORY. He, Fam May, The Money Team and company must now move like thieves in the night. Because they sure cannot HIDE in PLAIN SIGHT. That a Radam G THANG [sic]! Hahahaha! Holla!

Hop says:

In my humble opinion, every single comment in this thread so far is very good -- even though some are brief. I'll try not to kill the streak.

I'll vote 'thumbs down' as well. Not that I absolutely wouldn't want to watch it, but ...

1) As expressed by previous posters, he would first need to beat worthier candidates for this coveted slot.
2) It would mean that Mayweather wasn't fighting an opponent (like Pacquiao) that I would far rather see.
3) I don't give him much of a shot at all (less that Pac, GGG, Sergio, even Broner).
4) I don't want to spend extra $ to see it.
5) Khan is always 'Amir' punch away from crumbling to the canvas (and bringing the proceedings to a rapid closure).

You know me! I'm down with O-P-P! And I'm always willing to be an island. Money May will JUMP to fight Amir not-so-GREAT Khan as the drop of a hat for the right money. For "MONEY talks," peeps in diz hurt bitnezz say. "Bulls**t walks!"

If Dubai or Qatar come up with a Money May guarantee of $100mil, he will journey to the Middle East double fudge up the not-so-GREAT Khan. The bout would be market as "al kafir harb al Mumin" -- "The Infidel' [fight/war] 'The Believer." Holla!

@Hop, no way that Sin City would rob Money May against Amir. The gift of a robbery of Money May will be a North American. The haters and U.S. mainland dark forces would not even rob Money May against a fighter from across the pond. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

No Radam, Mayweather is not going to go to Dubai or Qatar for $100,000,000. Now for a $150,000,000... Problem is, there are no entities in existence that care to throw away $50,000,000. Companies, individuals who have achieved great net worth didn't do so by being frivolous. We are just heading towards make believe now. He never fights outside of Las Vegas again...unless he becomes Roy Jones, Jr.

The Shadow says:

And you already know they can. Emirates Airlines got reservoir of cash just waiting to be spent on something for the amusement of those sheiks. They throw billions of dollars at Western sporting events every year to draw more attention to their Arab money paradise.

They can EASILY front $150 million just to host the event.

Here's the real story, though:

These guys are ESPECIALLY looking for rich investors from over here to further boost their insane real estate economy. Don't be surprised to hear the name "Richard Price" come up out of nowhere soon....

Another little-known fact: the largest Las Vegas casino -- valued at almost $10 billion -- is OWNED by the Dubai government. Since launching a few years ago, the casino has struggled to generate enough cash flow to justify the investments.

Here's the kicker: that very same casino is a joint venture PARTNER of MGM Resorts. They're looking to bring attention to it so they can unload it.

(BTW, this was the same way Bob Arum got access to the Chinese casino market through his buddy buddy Steve Wynn who has a resort in Macau.)

Remember what the Rumble in the Jungle did for Zaire? The international attention a Mayweather-Khan fight would generate from Great Britain to the US to the Far East would be unparalleled.

These discussions are taking place as we speak.

The Shadow says:

No Radam, Mayweather is not going to go to Dubai or Qatar for $100,000,000. Now, for a $150,000,000... Problem is, there are no entities in existence that care to throw away $50,000,000. Companies, individuals who have achieved great net worth didn't do so by being frivolous. We are just heading towards make believe now. He never fights outside of Las Vegas again...unless he becomes Roy Jones, Jr.

Trust me, Dino. There are MANY entities like that in existence. That kind of money is being thrown on the regular. Why do you think Swizz Bankz was down there so long on the hush-hush?

You're right -- people don't get/stay rich by being frivolous. Unless you're a Russian oil magnate or Arabian sheik. You'd be amazed.

Interesting stuff Shadow..
What kind of sources do you get this info from... Are there any references.. I'm not doubting...just curious.

SouthPaul says:

I get the economic part for a Khan bout but in terms of a challenge .... Doubt a fighter who could barely handle a shopworn Julio Diaz presents much of a challenge to the great of this era.

I can respect Dino's doubts. He is old money from old school. So naturally he is stingy. New money and New-Jack Arab billionaires are naturally hot doggish with their black-gold stashes.

Word to the wise. Dino, you need to holla at the shadow Al Heyman [misspelled on purpose] and Joe Jackson, an ex boxer and father of the famous Jackson crooners. Poppa Joe's daughter Janet Jackson -- "Ms. Jackson if you're nasty" -- is married to a super billionaire prince, who is in talks with The Money Team Promotions and GBP to set off some Queenberry rules pugilism featuring Money May and some other Yank and Brit top guns in the sand-filled Emirates of the Middle East.

Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves are welfare cases compare to these nowadays black-gold sheikhs, emirs and kings and their spoiled sons -- the mad spending princes.

I'm cyberspace blowing wind. NYET! Don't forget that I told the TSS Universe what was going to go down in Macau a couple of years ago. Money May will jump off in Dubai and/or Qatar and fudge up another super hype of two for a couple of a $100mil. Don't sleep on the power and majestic reality of The New-Jack Moolah being thrown around by generation X-Y. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

I bumped into Joe Jackson at Mayweather's a couple of months back.

I stand by what I said.

The Prince with the CitiCorp holdings is on the ropes attempting to keep his empire intact.

The oil money you guys are referring to, the partnerships with MGM on City Center ended poorly when the economy tanked. MGM owns MGM. They entered into a partnership with Dubai World while construction was under way. They sued, countersued each other. There is a building they are fighting over at City Center on who is going to tear it down because it was constructed with the wrong gauge of rebar. Hundreds of millions lost. I don't care how many billion dollar princes you've read about, Mayweather isn't getting $150,000,000 (and because it's two years too late he won't get that) unless he fights the Manny and he'll insist it's Las Vegas.

The Shadow says:

Interesting stuff Shadow..

Dude, don't forget I'm a global (ex-)reporter with sources! I've covered sports from Australia to Hawaii, UK to Scandinavia, Miami to Vegas to the Bay Area.

As for sources, I don't have as many as the regular writers but I do have Bankz's direct line (well, his assistant, anyway), Sin Clair's direct, Sauerland's direct, Lee Samuels' direct, (I used to have DKP contacts but the PR guy quit), HBO spies and sports agents that seed on the lowest of the down low. (OK, not that low, but they share info and want money.)

Plus in my other life I've worked with guys with DEEEEEEEEEEEP pockets from the USSR empire with ties to the old president's corrupt inner circle.

Google Roman Abramovich and you'll see what kind of guys we're talking.

Add that to research and diligence and that is usually the basis of my posts. And don't forget that lots of stuff is "off the record," which means that it's info you get to know but you're not supposed to show.

And oh yeah, guys you wouldn't expect to read forums read them RELIGIOUSLY.

(In the rare cases I actually do pen stories, they're basic, simple "he-said-she-said" stories about the most important figures or when there are big events I want to attend. All the leftover info I get, I just drop it here, although I could probably sell them as features.)

However I retired from full-time reporting since it's a 24/7 job -- you always gotta be in research mode.

I don't think you don't believe me (and quite frankly, no offense, I wouldn't care -- we're cyber buddies, at best ). In fact I'm kinda happy you asked the question for veracity.

As for the facts I presented, they can all be substantiated with reports. Most of what I posted is public record you can easily find yourself. Sources ain't sh*t anyway because people can lie. Facts don't.

I actually posted quite a lengthy post in another thread, detailing lots of the Arabian cash flow and the intent behind it and why Amir Khan will be the next cash cow of boxing from a commercial standpoint.

Boxing writers are quite lazy, actually, although they've gotten better at economical aspect of sports. I respect Kevin Iole because he seems to have a basic understanding of economics. Editor Mike is good, too. In fact, I truly believe if he wasn't such a nice guy he'd be ballin'....oh boy, let's not go there, HA!

I can link to a bunch of different reports but I don't want to clutter/clog/spam the forum. Just post each individual query and I will link the information or I can send it to you.

I can post a few links for info that might make you go "hmmmm...":

[url]http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mgm-mirage-signs-joint-venture-agreement-with-mubadala-development-company-58279142.html

[url]http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-01/dubai-developers-luring-individuals-with-hotel-boom-real-estate.html

[B]FREE/QUESTIONABLE SPENDING[/B]
As many people know, airlines have pathetic margins. [url]http://www.businessinsider.com/airlines-have-a-small-profit-margin-2012-6

YET, this Dubau airline has excess cash flow as if they were Apple, literally throws -- THROWS -- billions every year on Western sports.

[url]http://brief.promaxbda.org/content/emirates-airline-using-sports-sponsorships-to-fly-us-global-growth-strategy

[url]http://espnfc.com/news/story?id=738881&sec=europe&cc=5901

[url]http://www.scaryfootball.com/2013/06/real-madrid-new-sponsor-fly-emirates/

Look here for even more sponsorships this insanely liquid airline just disposes of annually.
[url]http://www.emirates.com/english/about/emirates-sponsorships/sponsorships.aspx

Some of these guys just do this for fun. FC Barcelona never had sponsorships before and were proud of it. Some sheiks threw nine figures at them and made them break this traditional principle.

I even know -- firsthand -- of a Qatar sheik that did business with a Danish soccer coach (who happened to be the head coach in my club and later damn near sabotaged my nephew's career) that PAID him to showcase these players in Europe even though they SUCKED! They were about on my level, which meant they were decent amateurs -- no more.

On top of that, these Qatar boys would NET about twice than the highest paid player on the team. Paid directly by the sheik. Who also paid everyone else down there. These guys got money, bro.

In the upcoming months, be on the look out for the names Richard Price, Sheik Mansour, and, as Radam says, Wissam Al Mana.

Collectively, these guys control or have assets of -- check this -- $394 BILLION! And they ALL have ties, or, at the very least, interest in some of the developments that you see at this very moment.

The link between these guys could very well be Amir Khan -- a proven liaison between the UK, US and the muslim world.

Best believe pitches are being made. Stay very, very tuned.

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=dino da vinci;37564]I bumped into Joe Jackson at Mayweather's a couple of months back.

I stand by what I said.

Read Bloomberg, read Forbes. Not a whole lot of Billionaires out there. Even less who want to give away a nice size percentage of their fortune, not to mention the fact that few are sitting on large cash reserves.[/QUOTE]

I guess we'll have to see

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;37571]Dino, but did you holla at Poppa Joe about what his son-in-law is up to in dam hurt bitnezz? How many in da know have holla at you about Money being loaned a billion-dollar royal super-cruiser ship? I've seen you chatting in Sin City. I will keep standing by you in plain sight. And I will put MONEY on Money May and SOG Ward eventually scrapping in the deserts where the Biblical prophet roamed. Of course not against one another. Holla![/QUOTE]

BTW, Dino, the prince with the Citicorp holding is from the as-Saud rulers of Saudi Arabia. He is a humbug and exaggerator. And is anti-sports because of his Salafi-style of Islam. Don't give him the time of day. He's a broke-arse Boomer billionaire, not from the New Jacks of the Generation of X-Y. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

It is all about following the money, SP. And picking it up and offering it back to the droppers. They'd just tell you, "Get it! It is dirty, and I don't want it messing up my clean stash. Hehehe! Holla!

Hop says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;37575]It is all about following the money ...[/QUOTE]

Who is the dude in that photo, Hop? Holla!

Hop says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;37584]Who is the dude in that photo, Hop? Holla![/QUOTE]

Just for fun, before I tell you (I will), let's see if any other forum mates know.

SouthPaul says:

Hop says:

[QUOTE=SouthPaul;37587]Deep Throat from All The Presidents Men (actors name is Hal Holbrook). Follow the money was his suggestion to both reporters (Dustin Hoffman, Robert Redford). Excellent flick.[/QUOTE]

SouthPaul [B]for the win!![/B] Congrats! (very good film still, IMO - from 1976)

SouthPaul says:

My first thought was Gorden Gekko. Greed is good! Lmfao. But I actually saw All The Presidents Men not too long while up late one night. I've seen it several times, though.

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=SouthPaul;37574]Good input from the TSS forum members. Y'all are making it tough on the front page. I envision the editor reading while biting his nails.[/QUOTE]

Better believe he's not only reading, he's also making some phone calls hahaha. Right Editor Mike? And you better believe the corporate shot callers, goons and minions are reading, too.

kidcanvas says:

another joke

stormcentre says:

In my opinion, whether they're deserving opponents or not, there really is only; Pacquiao, Bradley, Trout, Berto, Malinaggi Alexander, Khan, Cotto, Thurman, Broner and Maidana, Smith, Lara, Martirosyan, and Gennady Golovkin; that Floyd has as reasonably sellable and/or viable options for his next fight-opponent.

Most of them have the experience and skills to live with Floyd for 12 rounds without completely drowning from embarrassment or unseen punches, or both.

*Only Pacquiao, Bradley, Kahn, Cotto, and maybe Golovkin have the required popularity and fan base for the fight to make commercial PPV sense to Mayweather and TMT.

Out of that set of viable opponents the most dangerous (Golovkin) is probably one of the least capable of generating the kind of PPV numbers that TMT require to pass the commercial entry level threshold criteria. He is also the; most murderous puncher, least intimidated and most likely to come up with a game plan that diffuses Floyd’s advantages, of them all.

Count him out then.

Interestingly, but not surprisingly, the weakest of *them all comes in as a reasonable second, to Manny Pacquiao, as being capable of generating the kind of huge PPV numbers that TMT require to pass the commercial entry level threshold criteria. And that’s Khan.

Kahn’s (suspicious) defense (with holes all through it), his interesting late-round stamina issues (see the Maidana fight where he literally danced/ran for several rounds), his questionable punch resistance (do you need an example?), his nervous style (held together loosely by blinding speed and punches without purpose that befuddles most opponents, which Kahn usually capitalizes on, but only so long as the opponent is scared and/or dazzled) and his obvious lack of devastating punching power (should Floyd actually make a mistake that Kahn could capitalize on); means Floyd would probably have a field day with him. It would be similar to when Floyd fought Judah but without the disadvantages of facing a southpaw. Not in the least as both fight as good as they can around an obvious liability that is basically a flashing neon target in boxing; brittle china chins.

Pacquiao, if he blows Rios away, represents - as we know - the biggest PPV numbers and those that really interest the TMT. But they're probably not enough for TMT to risk Floyd wearing a “L” for the rest of his life; particularly if Pacquiao can still fight as he used to be able to. So Mayweather fighting Pacquiao next, in my opinion, all depends on how vulnerable Pacman looks after he beats Rios, if he does. If Manny doesn’t blow away Rios then his days at the very top are definately over, and therefore a fight with Mayweather is very possible provided the “Arum connection” can be safely negotiated around (doesn’t Pacquaio come out of his Top Rank contract soon?). In any regard, given how utterly beatable Rios is as a top level welterweight fighter (I think there are some entry level guys that would hurt him); Pacquiao should be able to overpower and KO Rios – especially if the KO loss Pacquiao last suffered to Marquez really means as little as Roach would have us believe.

Therefore, Pacquiao probably wont be the next Mayweather opponent, or any Mayweather opponent until it is beyond a doubt that he doesn’t present the same risk that greatly assisted Floyd become the PED testing boxing-avenger he now rightly and perfectly is.

Bradley presents as someone that is not past their prime, not a big puncher and someone that understands Floyd’s style and would not necessarily make Floyd look good. Actually, Bradley could probably punch with Floyd a little – he certainly wouldn’t be too deterred by pressure – not unless he has become gun shy from the Provodkinov experience – as opposed to learning from it. Also, Bradley - that is with significant promotion and marketing, and only because he beat (has a win over?) Pacquiao - could possibly become the financially viable “B” side to the next Mayweather fight and TMT spectacle. Unfortunately though, Bradley is also with Arum.

Mayweather blowing away the “other guy” that beat Pacquiao is also a good storyline that TMT and Shotime could easily buy into. It would add some credibility to a possible Mayweather V Pacquiao fight. But, does the possible value and the upside to all of this Bradley talk outweigh the downside of the “Arum connection” and the other above-mentioned negative intangibles; that present as risk to TMT?

The answer is probably not.

One reason is because Timothy Bradley is a hard sell financially for a promotion that is addicted to Mayweather opponents being able to meaningfully contribute to the huge multimillion-dollar entry-level criteria that TMT are familiar with. Another few are that anyone with a style similar to that which Mayweather originally subscribed to (before taking it to another level), that has decent punch resistance, speed and stamina that have all successfully been implemented on the big stage; is usually too risky for Floyd whether they have already demonstrated that they're not easily deterred by the kind of welterweight pressure a guy like Provodkinov brings, or not.

That said, Bradley did show us that Mayweather has an excellent chance of beating Pacquiao; unless you believe Bradley can do things in the ring that Mayweather cant. I guess we’ll find the answer to that when Bradley fights next.

Anyway, this leaves Cotto and Kahn as possible viable Mayweather opponents for his next Shotime promotion. Both Cotto and Kahn probably can generate a similar level of PPV numbers that meet and probably surpass the huge multimillion-dollar entry level criteria that TMT are familiar with Mayweather opponents having.

Cotto’s popularity is huge, but he is not the kind of guy that would fight Mayweather another time without improving and adjusting, and TMT know this. Cotto knows now what works on Mayweather, even though he may not be able to implement it properly at this stage of his career. For these reasons, plus the facts that Cotto possesses KO power, good timing, big fight experience and is not easily intimidated; means Mayweather V2 Cotto is a risk for TMT/Mayweather – who, by the way, is actually (albeit slowly) slipping in terms of keeping all the intricate parts of his entire boxing repertoire together for 12 whole rounds. Not in the least as he both (a) comes out of those side/back doors he exits his right hand (and other single punch pot-shot) leads from, with a lot less confidence about missing the counter, and (b) waits until his opponent is gassed before stepping it up; these days.

Then there is also the “Arum Connection” with Cotto. He left Top Rank to get a Mayweather fight, but he is back there again now, so that’s another reason Floyd won’t fight him again right now.

You know where this is going?

I mean even if the Alexander V Kahn fight goes ahead and Alexander beats Kahn; will Alexander still be able to meaningfully generate the huge multimillion-dollar entry-level criteria that TMT are familiar with and expect from their beatable “B” side? The answer is no. What possibility has Alexander got of generating the kind of interest Floyd requires of his “B” side? That said, Guerrero probably didn’t have much more PPV viability than Devon; so perhaps we’re reading too much into this? Either way, if Mayweather gets to Kahn after the Alexander V Kahn fight, and Kahn loses (a real possibility); there goes some financial potential of the Mayweather V Kahn fight in almost the same way that it (a Kahn loss to Alexander before Floyd capitalizes on the fact that – PPV numbers-wise - Kahn is a poor man’s Ricky Hatton) will invite criticism about how Mayweather fought another ready made risk/opponent, fresh off a loss the same way Judah was when Floyd fought him.

No wonder all indicators point to Kahn at the moment.

Short story; thumbs down on a Mayweather V Kahn fight

Kahn has liabilities that are as perfectly made for promotions that seek to convince the masses that a pending danger exists, and Floyd - as his popularity is financially exploitable.

And there is no Arum Connection – just a Richard Schaeffer one that goes by the trading name of Golden Boy.

By all accounts it should be easy peasy, all round. Plus for the kind of money Kahn will get paid he won’t mind his chin getting seriously checked again. And if he does, there will be an endless stream of back-slappers telling him he can do it and it is worth it.

After all Matthew, you're as fast as Floyd; right?

Personally I’d like to see someone like Golovkin, Gamboa or Rigondeaux (at a reasonable catch/weight) fight Mayweather (if it were possible). Because whilst it is not Floyd’s fault that there is no one good enough in the welterweight (or thereabouts) division to beat him, that’s the kind of opponent (and skill set) that’s really required to beat a fighter with such good all round qualities as Floyd Mayweather.

And Floyd knows it.

That’s why there is hardly any risk for him at the moment with this Shotime deal he has.

You don’t get to be as good and as experienced as Floyd is without knowing who you can beat and what styles give you trouble.

Short story; thumbs down on a Mayweather V Kahn fight

stormcentre says:

Oh I forgot about Garcia. He is a possibility too.

Hop says:

@ Stormcentre

Just wanted to thank you for the time and effort you put into your thorough post above. Appreciate it. I [U]hope[/U] your skepticism about Mayweather's willingness to take on the most serious challenges is a bit overdrawn (he did schedule Alvarez, who was viewed by some as one of the biggest threats out there), but I guess we'll see. What I can't get over is why there isn't almost 100% agreement among fans of the sport that if Pacquiao dispatches Rios in impressive fashion, THERE IS ONLY ONE LOGICAL OPPONENT FOR FLOYD -- and of course that is Manny Pacquiao. Whoever exactly was to blame, this is a fight that should have taken place years ago, of course. If the next time around Mayweather clearly dodges a Pacquiao who is 100% willing to agree to Floyd's financial and drug-testing terms, IT WILL SPEAK VOLUMES and definitively clear up many debates posters like us have been having about FM for years. The worst scenario of all for boxing fans everywhere, of course, would be Manny losing to Rios. That would be a boxing disaster. My dream scenario: Pacquiao KO's Rios (sorry, Brandon) like the Pac-Man of old, and then pressure mounts so heavily on Floyd that he feels like he's living on the ocean floor. Finally, he can take it no longer and (finally) the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight is on.

Grimm says:

[QUOTE=Hop;37627]The worst scenario of all for boxing fans everywhere, of course, would be Manny losing to Rios. That would be a boxing disaster.[/QUOTE]

Boxing will be allright. We've seen many disasters, and sometimes they actually where for the good of the sport - new air will always fill the void. I visited an amateur tournament today; haven't seen so many young fighters for years, as well as an audience that's been long missing. Of lately there's only been boxing people at these tournaments. Today I saw mums, dads, friends and local residents coming for a look. Most importantly; more fighters than not made me nod in appreciation of their fundamental skills.

@storm: good logical breakdown.

Hop the fact Floyd fought Canelo at a 152lb catch weight takes some flair from the victory and continues to add feelings that he avoids risks when possible.

I love Floyd in the ring but fact is fact I ain't gonna lie or be biased he has avoided certain risks.

Hence, no way any die hard boxing fans who aren't biased or easily swayed see Floyd fighting a top gun PAC.

Floyd still looks outstanding and even tho PAC lost to jmm, who is a top 3 lber and has 40+ rounds against PAC, we know styles make fights and PAC has the style and attributes to beat Floyd.

I'm with Radam G,
Floyd will never fight PAC.

Also Floyd will never fight GGG even at 154 where Floyd is the lineal champion.
Ggg healthy at 154 has too much for Floyd and will IMHO whoop him.
Now if Floyd was 32 years old then I may pick differently.
But a 37 year old Floyd loses to ggg who is the total package.
The guy is as complete as u can be.

Khan won't sell here in USA.
Garcia may sell do to crazy arse papa Garcia.
Alexander no way.
Matthyse just lost so no.
Bradley only has 6 fans and he's related to 4 of them.
Cotto rematch may sell due to cottons excellent following and now roach training him. But Floyd won't deal with Bob.

Floyd will have to make a choice because he wants that pay day and there aren't many choices.

It will be Garcia because his dad is a psychopath and will draw attention.

Hop says:

@ Grimm: I didn't mean a "disaster" in the sense of threatening the health of the sport. I meant a disaster in terms of very possibly killing off once and for all any chance for what so many of us have hoped for for so long ... a Mayweather/Pacquiao match up.

@ A-May: Though I agree that the catch weight takes away slightly from the luster from Floyd's victory, the contest was so one-sided that it's negligible, really. [U]More importantly[/U], I do agree with you that the whole CW issue (which I think was total PR fail for Team Mayweather, and rightly so) shows less than full confidence on the part of TMT. Exactly Floyd's part in all of that, who knows? I would think he too is concerned (and not just those around him). Anyway, still hoping for Pac-Man, but wouldn't be surprised if you are proven right about Garcia being next in line.

Sorry! But Garcia will not be NEXT! And don't get caught up in myths.

Money May was fully confident that he will kick da arse of the red-headed hype. He took the so-called catchweight because Team Canelo thought that they was suckering Team Money May into dancing.

WTF! The clock struck 12 o'clock and Canelo's dance plan -- I mean gameplan -- turned into a PUNKIN!' Not to be mixed with a pumpkin. Money May straight-up PUNKED-whupped Canelo. Dude was not in the fight. And started doing some Vicious [dumb@ss] Victor Ortiz's jive with the low blow to da cojones and attempted shoulder launch to da mug. Holla!

@hop, and Radam g,

i agree, floyd whoops canelo at 154 same result.

the problem is the turtle ellerbe aint bright, he isnt a genius like he thinks he is.

a year ago they said floyd wants to fight the best at their best , not weight drained or compromised in any way.

a year passes and they get canelo, a man the world knows fights like he makes weight with stamina issues,

at a catch weight....

only floyd looks bad for this.

then floyd whoops him any way.

but floyd fought him at the catch weight so he has to live with it.

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=amayseng;37643] if i was his management i would have said we will fight canelo at 154 and he can come in at 155, no prob.[/QUOTE]

It's interesting, Mayweather's side actually offered something similar to/better than that but it was refused by the Reynosos. It was something like 154 weigh in/160 fight night limit.

gibola says:

Hop says:

[QUOTE=gibola;37726]Before he lost to Garcia, I was on TSS banging on about how Khan's speed, stamina, jab and pure boxing skills were the biggest threat to PBF. I argued no pressure fighter could get it done and a lightening quick boxer like Khan could concievably win 7 rounds against PBF. Sadly the Garcia fight happened and then Khan has had two underwhelming fights since where I think he showed a distinct lack of confidence. I've seen every pro fight he's had and he appears to be going backwards, I mean come on, life and death with Julio Diaz? I have an image in my head of Khan outboxing and frustrating PBF, of making PBF get too agressive and Khan exploiting his mistakes to sneak by on points. Realistically, that dream appears to be over. This is entirely the wrong time for Khan to fight PBF, he in no way deserves the chance (but when has that ever mattered in boxing?). I hope it doesn't happen. Thumbs down and his people shouldn't take the fight now. Get some decent wins, get your confidence back Amir then it's a thumbs up from me (but only then!).[/QUOTE]

I admire few things more than a person plainly admitting that they were wrong about something, or at least that they have changed their mind.