Ace Ring General Danny Garcia Defuses Matthysse, Wins UD12

BY Michael Woods ON September 14, 2013

GarciaMatthysse crop north f7a47Many smart folks assumed that the Danny Garcia-Lucas Matthysse bout, with Garcia's 140 pound crowns up for grabs, would be the fight of the night, offering more drama and controlled violence than the main event. Garcia (age 25; from Philly), holder of the WBA and WBC strap, entered with a 26-0 with 16 KOs mark. The Argentine Matthysse (age 30; holding interim WBC strap) was 34-2 with 1 ND, 32 KOs.

It turned out there was less violence, controlled or otherwise, because Danny Garcia's ring generalship was superb at the MGM Grand. After two or three rounds, he got his bearings, and knew he could take Lucas' power, the same Lucas who many fans would knock his head into Jack Nicholson's lap. Garcia's combos impressed the judges, and he was helped by the right eye of Lucas, which was closing by round seven. The arbiters saw it 115-111, 114-112, 114-112, for the Philly fighter, who now must get proper respect for winning fights he's not favored to win.

"I'm the champion of the world," said Garcia after, with his dad grinning wickedly.  "The champion of the world isn't scared of anyone.  If you can make it out Philly you can make it out of anywhere.

"The only way to slow him down was to go down to the body and throw combinations upstairs.  I just let my hands go."

"I only had one eye for half of the fight but, it's no excuse," Matthysse said afterwards.  "He fought a great fight.  He's a great champion and we knew he wasn't intimidated by my punching."

To Jim Gray, Garcia said he wasn't scared of nobody. He joked that he'd have smacked his dad after his dad whacked his face after a lame round, if he wasn't his dad. next? He'll leave that to Al Haymon and Golden Boy, he said.

Lucas went 206-566 to 225-624 for Garcia, whose exemplary chin kept him from suffering the fate of so many Matthysse foes.

In the first, Garcia, coming off a win over Zab Judah, who'd beaten Lucas, was cautious. Lucas landed a decent hook and then later two rights. In the second, a right to the body on Garcia looked like it stung. Lucas landed a left hook that buzzed Garcia a tiny bit late. Garcia's lateral movement served him well.

In the third, the right to the body had Garcia's left side red. The Philly kid was a bit busier, after hearing it from his dad. He threw more jabs, and was quicker with power counters. "Are you alright?" Angel asked Danny after the round. "You have to be focused," he said a few times, and warned his son to protect himself smartly. Lucas only thew 34 punches, for the record.

In the fourth, Danny threw more combos, looked more relaxed. He was warned, again, for low blows. But it looked like he had figured out the Argentine, or thought he had.

In the fifth, they clashed heads but it looked like no cut formed. The ref warned Garcia for going low with 30 seconds left. It was a tight round. In the sixth, Lucas backed Garcia to the ropes; that happened a few times to this point, but Garcia is a calm defender. He blocks and clinches if he needs to. In the seventh, the right eye on Lucas was closing. He landed a few clean shots which Danny took quite well. A hook-right combo scored well for Danny late. In the eighth, the left hook scored on the closed eye.

His corner asked him a few times if he could see and Lucas said yes and we went to the ninth. Garcia right hand scored heavy a couple times and he went to the body with the left.

In the tenth, there was some holding, but then Danny landed a right counter after a left hook to his body. Lucas was busier and likely took that one.

In the 11th, Danny put Lucas down, as he got him tangled in the ropes, for the first time ever. This was after Lucas knocked Danny's piece out with a right to start the round. This was the round of the fight. In the 12th, a combo by Garcia made the crowd buzz. Danny's combos were money. A low left made ref Tony Weeks take a point from Danny. They flurried to the end. We went to the cards.

I picked this fight extremely wrong. I had Matthysse by KO3. *BUZZER* WRONG! Garcia did a great job diffusing the bomber Lucas. After Lucas eye swelled shut the fight turned in Garcia's favor for good. I didn't have a good view of this fight. Team Roast dropped the ball in our choice of venue. Never again shall we return to this place. I look forward to the replay next week.

Grimm says:

Makes us two.

Initially, some months ago when this was still a hypothetical fight, I thought Garcias ability to weather a storm could hand him the possibilty to close it in the later rounds. Aften Zab had him somewhat stunned, I figured it would be a matter of time til Matthysse closed him down. Classic mistake One: 1 + 1 = seldom 2 in this sport. Classic mistake Two: don't let your emotions do your predictions. Still got a mini-crush for Lucas, though.

Hop says:

Garcia is the best 'hang around-er' in the game right now. He's never spectacular (though very good at times, don't get me wrong), but HE JUST HANGS AROUND and you can't get rid of him. What's more is that after he weathers the best of what opponents like Khan and Matthysse have to throw at him, he then begins to gain the upper hand in a skillful, workmanlike fashion. He definitely gained respect in my eyes last night. Nice job, Danny.

SouthPawFlo says:

Danny Garcia is a solid fighter, good chin, punches in Combinations has heart, I think that swollen eye really changed the fight....

I wouldn't object to seeing a Rematch....

DaveB says:

I predicted Garcia in this one when it was first announced. Whatever I feel when I first learn of a match is what I go with otherwise I start to over think things and doubt my decision. I thought Matthysse to crude. But I also knew Garcia couldn't get caught up trading or letting his guard down, even late in the fight. I figured with his good skills he would be able to get the victory. I didn't think it would go the distance either way. With or without the swollen eye I think Garcia would have won. The injury just made it easier. The scoring bothered me because Garcia clearly won but without the knock down it would have been scored an even fight. I think people have a lot more respect for Garcia now. That is the way you do it, fight the best and beat the best without stipulations, ducking and waiting.

Carmine Cas says:

I knew the Garcia's had something up their sleeves, that's why I was hesitant to outright pick Lucas. Matthysse was exposed a little as one dimensional. However I think he is more than just a power puncher, he just didn't set up his punches as much. And he also let Garcia get the best of him on the inside; smothering his punches and let off fast combos. I tip my hat to Danny, but versus Floyd I don't see much of a chance, I'd love to see Angel Garcia vs the Mayweathers

puncher says:

Fight was decided when left eye started closing. He had to protect eye not allowing him to get in that powerful right hook. Before the eye closing he was putting on Garcia...but to Garcia's credit that eye did not swell up due to a kiss either. Garcia has my respect and would not mind a rematch or seeing him fight Broner. This would be a good one!

Don Quixote says:

To me, Garcia lacked cojones as he excessively clinched Mathysse, and that shows fear. Too bad that excessive clinching is allowed as otherwise the fans would see a slug fest