Danny Garcia-Lucas Matthysse Is ON, Sept. 14, Floyd-Canelo Undercard

BY Michael Woods ON July 18, 2013

Goldenboy

The best fighting the best is the motto Golden Boy Promotions has been pushing of late, and the fight which was made official on a Thursday afternoon conference call certainly does approximate that desired dictum: Danny Garcia, the 25-year-old 26-0 WBC and WBA 140 pound champion, will put his belts up against 34-2 Argentine Lucas Matthysse, a 30-year-old who in the last six months has conjured heavy-duty buzz as a badass detonator capable of ending a fight at any given time.

They will tangle on Sept. 14, on the undercard of the Floyd Mayweather-Canelo Alvarez event, tabbed "The One," to be staged at the MGM Grand by Golden Boy and Mayweather Promotions.

"The One just got another one," Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer said on the Thursday conference call to herald the scrap. He said he wants non boxing fans, the non hardcore, to tune in, and come away with an appreciation for money and time well spent. "I want people when the night is over, when they leave the TV, to say, 'Wow, that was amazing, I can't wait to see the next boxing match," Scheafer said.

Mayweather Promotions' Leonard Ellerbe said he wants to bring more eyeballs to the sport, bottom line. "You're going to see more of this stuff," he said.

Scheafer said that Garcia isn't scared of anyone and said those that thought Garcia would duck the bout, have egg on face. The promoter thanked advisor Al Haymon, for okaying the fight, and noted that many felt he wouldn't pull the trigger and risk putting two of his clients into the ring together.

Scheafer said there "wasn't much debate" among the fighters in getting the fight made. This is the most expensive sub-marquee fight ever on a pay-per-view, he also noted. "That's what made this fight take so long (to get made)," he said. He said it would have been easier to put the scrap on another date, and it also would have been more lucrative for his company, but he wanted the fans to be rewarded. He hunted for sponsorship money, and foreign rights money, and other streams, to mitigate the cost.

Schaefer said that the gate at the MGM will come in over $19.5 million, a new record, breaking the gate mark, held by the Mayweather-De La Hoya fight in May 2007, at the MGM.

He said that this fight didn't have to be made, as the card was sold out anyway. But he says the fans deserve stacked cards, and that "the Butterbean days are over." That was a jab at Top Rank, and the disinclination of promoters, at times, to put together a card filled with compelling bouts, and instead relying on a single marquee bout to carry a PPV card.

A press tour is being worked out, Scheafer said.

Judging by social media sampling, most folks seem to think Matthysse will steamroll young Garcia, who beat Zab Judah in Brooklyn in his last outing. Matthysse, though, hasn't faced the caliber of foes Garcia has, and in fact, lost to Judah, via SD, when they met in 2010. Most agree, though, that the Argentine has improved and is a better, and more confident boxer, since then.

Follow Woods on Twitter here.

Carmine Cas says:

Good job GB, now put another demanding fight on there and you're all set!

Agreed carmine. I'm still not buying it. Although a huge Matthyse fan I'm not paying 75$ to watch one fight and then Floyd pot shot his way to an easy ud after.

3 good fights and possibly a buy

Btw good job by Shaeffer.

I read the turtle ellerbe made a statement like he got this fight made.

Man I can't stand that guy.

kidcanvas says:

this will be way better than mayweather and an outclassed over hyped canelo...i cant wait

SouthPaul says:

Always a joy to see Danny Garcia in action so definitely a good addition to this overpriced fight card.

DaveB says:

Yeah put Broner/Malignaggi on there and you have a real winner. Mayweather lite should want to have the opportunity to be on his idols card. Or maybe him and Maidana.

Broner Madaina.
No more Paulie. It'll be same ol story.

The fight will cost the same as it does for every Mayweather fight in the "Home of the Buckeyes".
$59.99 + tax. Hoping to have another fight party... funny thing , in Columbus everything shuts down for a Money May PPV...like a Christmas Holiday...even crime takes a break ...
J'leon Love is trying desperately to bait Rosado into a rematch...but Rosado must be wondering if the purse is large enough to compensate for another potential robbery to a boxer who cut weight using diuretics in their last fight.
There's also rumblings of Lara vs Trout swimming into the mix along with a very popular rising star at 118 to 122 pounds that sources won't allow me to reveal at this time ...
I won't have to meditate long to decide if I'm purchasing this ticket. If some unforeseen event prevents me from buying the PPV I'll sneak into the service entrance of one of the closed circuit venues wearing an my emergency ushers uniform.

Emergency ushers uniform... Hmmm... excellent idea!

Matthysse-Garcia + Floyd-Canelo makes this card must see TV for me. I don't buy many PPVs but I'm in for this. I care more about Matthysse-Garcia than Floyd-Canelo. I won't be able to sit down before that slugfest! I see Matthysse flattening Danny in a Hagler-Hearns type of fight. This will be good. I may have to take a road trip to B-Sug's party!

Emergency ushers uniform... Hmmm... excellent idea!

Haha. Classic Bsug!

Comes complete with "Bootleg Cam" hidden beneath the name tag.

A must buy for sure

I usually buy one or two a year.
I may hold off and buy the PAC fight instead. I gotta check out the undercard.
However this for sure is great match making. And it is necessary.
The UFC had been consistent for the most part in great matchups through an event. I don't buy them because u may end up for 4 matches all on the ground. But they always have 3-4 intriguing or exciting matchups. And they sell a freaking ppv every single month.

Carmine Cas says:

3 good fights and possibly a buy

If it's $75 I am not buying either, I was going to watch it Canz but I'd rather watch a fight in a more peaceful environment; too many distractions in a public venue. The theaters will be playing it most likely, Broner-Madaina would be the the icing on the cake. And I agree the UFC does put together decent cards but it depends on whose fighting. I would love to see Rosado whoop Love's arse

Carmine Cas says:

Btw good job by Shaeffer.

I read the turtle ellerbe made a statement like he got this fight made.

Man I can't stand that guy.

Someone hit him in the head with a rubber mallet so it goes back in shell. Schaeffer is a hard working dude, congrats to him.

DaveB says:

I must say that since HBO threw out GB and his fighters fights on both sides of the aisle have gotten better - TR and GB, Showtime and HBO. I'm not that excited about Trout vs Lara being that both are not exciting to watch. Garcia vs Matthysse is the best fight on the card period. It is almost like a co-main event. I know I should not do this but I'm going out on a limb and picking Garcia. I know that it is possible I could be dead wrong and Garcia could be wiping the floor but I think the things Garcia does good, he doesn't do anything well, will be good enough against a crude punching machine like Matthysse. Garcia's undoing could be that he trades. That also could be what gets him over. This fight is the most intriguing of the bunch. His father is going to talk much trash. Does the train stop here? Hopefully everybody stays healthy and nothing gets canceled.

there is no loser of matthysse vs garcia. two great, prime exciting fighters. im guessing the money is right and after LM knocks garcia out we may get a rematch.
floyd vs canelo will be boring.
no way floyd stays in that pocket.
thanks to his alien arm length he can fight on the outside all night and will trot, jog, dip and dodge finding one exit after another with an easy points victory. i myself enjoy floyd but he can do much more and im not paying 75$ to watch that movie again. canelo has to get on the mid inside, not smother himself but leave enough spacing to use that left hook to the body...

floyd didnt shoulder roll at all against the ghost, he just hit and dipped.

DaveB says:

I'm going out on another limb that maybe I shouldn't. By fight time Amayseng buys this pay per view. Everybody is going to pick Matthysse. There will be a lot of people in shock.

Ha. Daveb u may be right. Or may not.
I'm buying either Floyd's or pacs.
Depending on the best card.
But we know for sure PAC and rios will be a war not a hop skip and jog.
I'll compare cards when applicable.

SouthPawFlo says:

Biggest and Best Golden Boy PPV card ever.

SouthPaul says:

Just rewatched Matthysse/Peterson. Reviewing that one bout alone - all this Argentinean replies on is his punching power. One dimensional he is, albeit, a hard punching one dimension. I also think Peterson is bit of a head case. What I love about Garcia is his perseverance and resolve. Besides that, I think he's every bit of the puncher Lucas is and he's much more refined. So, right now, my early pick is Danny Garcia.

I'm riding shotgun with SouthPaul. Danny G is my pick. Lucas M is so simple, not an iota of slicky slick. Holla!

I wouldn't be surprised if Garcia wins. He does everything very well.
However I think Garcia will be his worst enemy trading that left hook and gets wobbled and stopped.
LM has been ripped and robbed for far too long.
His focus is on another level.
Against Alexander he was wasting punches and energy throwing to throw all the time.
Now his style is more focused more concentrated and more deveststing today.
It's his time and he won't let it slip away

brownbomber says:

I got Danny g in a UD...

brownbomber says:

I got Danny g in a UD...

Don King could stack cards with that type of talent back then because he ripped-off a LARGE, LARGE percentage of the fighters' purses by even having his son Carl to get a manager fee -- even if he wasn't the manager -- for fighters to dance on his daddy Don's stacked cards.

Every thing seems fine until you know the quiet storm that was wrecking while the fighters were poking and a pecking. Hehehehe! The game is full of optical illusions.

You know what! The Shadow is ____ ____ _____ ______ and Don Kinging. You will see. The truth always rises. Just like Don King, five percent of The Shadow's fighters get paid nicely, but 95 are proverty plague cases from his _____. Holla!

SouthPawFlo says:

This fight will not go 12 Rds, somebody is gonna get left hooked to sleep.....

It's a good card,reminds me when old don king used to stack cards. Remember this one: Chavez vs Randall ,Simon Brown vs. Terry Norris (Brown had upset Norris five month prior); Gerald McClellan vs. Julian Jackson (McCellan had knocked Jackson out in 1993) and Azumah Nelson vs. Jesse James Leija (first 1993 fight was a draw). Chávez beat Randall by a technical decision, Norris outpointed Brown, McClellan knocked out Jackson again and Leija decisioned Nelson.

Revenge; the Rematches!

Never hook with a hooker.

That will be said at the end of this one.

brownbomber says:

I see Danny Garcia winning via UD. He stops guys from coming in with nice jabs and like a lead hook to the body and check hooks.

brownbomber says:

@radam

It looks like Danny throws almost like a lead left (r) sweeping hook to the body, how hard is that to land in a pro fight and would u say that stops faster fighters' speed against him?

Carmine Cas says:

If Lucas can get past Garcia's jab and right hand, he should win