Tony Thompson KOs David Price! Again!

BY Kelsey McCarson ON July 06, 2013

Tony Thompson

American heavyweight contender Tony Thompson (38-3, 26 KOs) defeated UK prospect David Price (15-2, 13 KOs) in Liverpool by TKO in Round 5. The 41-year-old Thompson scored a TKO 2 over Price last February to hand the former Olympic medalist his first loss as a professional. He did it again on Saturday.

“David scares the hell out of me,” Thompson said afterwards. “Big, strong [and] athletic guy…Olympic pedigree….but it brought the [freaking] best out of me.”

Both fighters came out cautiously in the first. Price kept his hands high and pawed with his jab. He threw a few long right hands to try and let Thompson know things would be different this go-around, but none landed. Thompson worked behind his jab, up on his toes. He was smiling.

Price landed a big right hand to start the second but was sent back on the retreat when Thompson got the better of things inside. Emboldened by his opponents’ shakiness, Thompson tried to drag his larger opponent into a slugfest. Each man got his shots in, but Price hurt Thompson to the chin and sent him to the ropes. The two got tangled a bit later and Thompson fell to the floor after tripping. He rose to his feet but was soon sent back to the canvas at the end of the second by a thunderous overhand right from Price. Thompson made it to his feet and to the bell.

“It was a good knockdown but I was going back with the punch,” Thompson said. “I was clear-headed the whole time.”

Price opened the third hyper aggressive, landing another big right hand to open the set before gassing himself with punches while Thompson laid upon the ropes. Thompson used quick uppercuts and sharp hooks to even things up in the round then landed a hard shot at the end of it to let Price know he was still in the fight.

“Everybody wants to be technical until they get hit,” said Thompson.

Thompson used fluid punching and a walking-down approach to dominate the fourth. With the busy American always moving forward, Price had no answer for the constant barrage of punches Thompson sent up and down the larger man’s head and body. Instead of using his height and reach advantage, Price was content to stand in front of his smarter punching opponent way too often. Thompson hurt Price downstairs at the end of the round.

The fifth started out the same way the fourth had ended, and that spelled doom for David Price.

Price tried to establish his jab in the opening seconds, but Thompson paid it no mind at all. Again, Thompson was right in Price’s chest, throwing punches in bunches. Soon, Price was staggered again and corralled to the corner. Trapped there, Thompson let loose a furious barrage that Price could not answer. He covered up until Referee Marcus McDonnell had seen enough. He gave Price a standing count but halted things at 1:55 of Round 5 when he became aware Price was unable to continue.

Thompson said afterwards he wanted another title shot. If not, he said he’d love to take on Tyson Fury.

Good for USA . A real fighter doesn't need Lewis to tell him to be mean . A real fighter is a gentleman with a huge chip on his shoulder who will eat 2 punches to land one punch. You either got it or you don't . Price doesn't have it . Retire now . Fury is a pikey. That means he has it whether or not he has skills

Couldn't have said it better....got me feeling like waving the flag ....and I can swear I can feel hair growing on my chest.

You know what's worse than today heavyweight division?

The British heavyweight division.

Bernie Campbell says:

Yo Friscoes, I wouldn't take your potraits of Audie Murphy out yet. Paul Revere, Abe Lincoln, and John Glenn too! Thompson still hasn't beat a contendor in his old *** career! Besides Wlad he hasn't fought a top ten Heavyweight period! Have they been ducking him? He didn't look to good going down on a couple of Price's rights! How bout Wilder?

Bernie Campbell says:

dino da vinci says:

Fury is a pikey.

MICKEY
I'll tell ya what. I'll do it for a caravan.

TURKISH
For what?

PIKEYS
For a caravan.

TOMMY
It was us who wanted a caravan.

TOMMY
Anyway, what's wrong with this one?

MICKEY
It's not for me. It's for me ma.

Iwantacaravanformemum.

TURKISH
Your what?

PIKEYS
His ma.

Hewantsacaravanforhismum.

MICKEY
I'll bet you for it.

TOMMY
You'll what?

PIKEYS
HE'LL BET YOU FOR IT!

You know what's worse than todays heavyweight division?

The British heavyweight division.

In the voice of amayseng........ "Ha!"

Everyone is aware of Thompsons limited potential Bernie... this is just a little recognition for Thompson representing well and not fulfilling the expectation of being merely an opponent.

Funny b-sug!

@Bernie , Good for Thompson he made the trip, hit the mat in round two, got up adjusted and ripped some good hooks and got Price out of there.

And 41 years old good for him.

Good for America.

Anyone catch his post fight interview where he was talking about slaying his wife?
Hilarious.

DaveB says:

I felt good for Thompson and bad for David Price. He really is a nice guy. Exactly what boxing needs as a good representative. But what is not to be is not to be. Don't blame it on Lennox Lewis. Price had things going his way and gassed. To Thompson's credit he got back up and returned the favor if not the knockdown. I guess Thompson's wife has a broken hip by now. That man was on a rampage today.

dino da vinci says:

Years ago, when I lived in Italy, my cousin was on the way back from Belorussia (now Belarus), when he stopped over for a visit. He had gone out to meet his girls' parents. During this time, we also had friends in from London. We rented Snatch. No easy task, but I managed to insult all my guests with just one movie. If you have a sense of humor, that's a great movie.

The Irish and English have always been amongst my favorite fighters. They have the hearts of lions, and paper tissue for skin: a real tough combination.

My group loves movies. We're forever quoting: Princess Bride, Snatch, Pulp Fiction, Good Fellas, etc.

Deep, what's the name of the Irish Doc?

That was a fantastic post fight interview.
He even asked if anyone had a wheelchair to donate.
It was just funny yet sobering seeing all tat stress and those nerves leave him after the fight and he was able to just let go and relax and have fun.

Perfectly balanced comments Dave B ... at one point Thompson was getting tagged repeatedly ...with nowhere to go Tony answered back...with some heated return fire...at that point of the fight..David Price's assault was compromised....he couldn't regain his confidence... his desire... our his wind. I thought the fight was one of the most entertaining I've seen in the heavy weight division....I'm going to make sure I rewind to catch the interview....

DaveB says:

Right you are B Sug about there being an air of excitement before, during and after the fight. Frank Maloney had me very concerned too. He looked like he was going to expire right on the spot. I know their camp was very disappointed and sad and wanted to and probably did have a good cry but Frank Maloney needs to seriously think about stepping away from the sport if these losses affect him that deeply. Didn't he have a heart attack after the first loss? Like the commentators said it was a throw back fight for sure.

Bernie Campbell says:

England was supposed to have some superior Hvwts! I do think at this time they have a better boxing program overall than America! Price had some major issues when tested! He was completely KTFO by Robert Cammarelle in the Olympic Super HVWT Final! He did have an impressive amateur career prior to that! But I believe Cammarelle exposed him in 2008! This looked more like a confidence thing that went along with a weak jaw! Fury talks too much sh.. and appears not to be able to back it up! He has been floored twice already and has backed out of fights with Pulev, Boytsov, Gavern, and Chagaev! He currently is running his mouth at Thompson and Haye! What do we get? Vinny Maddalone and Kingpen Johnson! Speaking of Mouths brings us to David Haye, he has been subdued lately and had an impressive Kayo of Derrick Chisora! But don't forget this is the same David Haye that got completely embarrassed by Giacobbe Fragomini! Which brings us to Derrick Chisora who gave major problems to Robert Helenius and Vitali Klitschko, gets knocked out by Haye takes a soft fight with an Argintinian opponent who Chisora looked lackluster against! Chisora is taking his last breaths against weakpunching Malik Scott! And finally Olympic Gold Medalist Anthony Joshua, A mammoth in dimensions! Why didn't he turn Pro? What he fch are they doing with their Hvwt program?

Wow! Dang FRISCOES! Hehehehe! Holla!

kidcanvas says:

he just lacks a chin and thats not taught .........retire m8

Maybe it is the chin, but it is mostly the heart. Price just doesn't have the desire to fight when he is hurt or tired. Holla!

Chin. Heart. Skill. Killer instinct.

A combination if u ask me.

mortcola says:

I like what Deepwater says. I was a big Price fan from his performance as a prospect - great, great physical tools. But his fighting instincts are all wrong, he never figured out, with al his speed and range, how to keep a plodding old fighter not known for his offense off him, and fell apart mentally when he got hit. Now, this is kind of similar to what happened to Wladimir Klitschko, except Wlad early on lost to rugged bangers....and then came back with a retooled game, a settled mind, let the humiliation motivate him, and now he is a master of his own game. Price probably can't do the same. Another fine athlete without a concept of how to fight, survive, and win, make a bad situation work for him. The heart to get in the ring - props to any man or woman who can get there - but not to make it through the do or die. s for Thompson, he had to do the things he is not best at, not comfortable doing, because those were the only ways to beat a huge, young, coordinated, hard hitting, but vulnerable and insecure fighter. And that's what he did. That's character and cojones.

Doc M-cola, getting in the ring is overrated. You can easily brainwash a person into that. The reality, actuality and gut check come when he is buzzed with a shot. Same on any battlefield or squared jungle. Price could become a Doc Wladimir. NYET! Doc Wlad had a flailing style, where he shifty moved and pressured punched. The late, great super boksing guru Manny Steward corrected that and stopped seconds from massaging the doc right before the bout and rubbing him down with vaseline grease. Price has a getting-hit problem. Dude goes into massive panic by the smallest touch or the lightest buzz.

Just maybe he can be corrected if he comes to the realization that love often times hurt. And that it the way it is meant to be. You will get through it. Just keep firing back and tie the double fudge up. Clinching is becoming a lost art. You get away from that price, your arse will become easy-to-crack-and-shatter ice. And in this game, you need to be hot, scalding water. Always ready to splash on an @ss and scald it. Holla!

mortcola says:

Rad, you speak truth, although the cliche that getting in the ring earns respect is one I'm not ready to get rid of yet. It is one way we can still praise and respect guys who have nothing else BUT the willingness. BUt you are right, between the getting-hit problem and the gut-check problem, Price has too much working against him. Now, as a shrink who is good at getting people primed and MOTIVATED to do what must be done, I think I could get Price to go into the ring with greater relaxed focus. But something takes over when you get buzzed. It either freezes you like a bunny in the jaws of an eagle, or it makes you hungry to find any way possible of making the SOB pay for what he took. I don't think Price can get to the latter one. Sorry waste of talent.

First off he needs to establish the jab.
A jab can be offensive or defensive.
It can be a range finder or a seperator.
A guy this big and long should be able to use a jab to score points, set up other shots or used to keep a guy off him as well.

The jab is a lost art.

Amayseng, Doc M-cola is spot on. Without relaxed focus, a jab is like hocus pocus. The minute that you buzz, crack or touch a not-mentally-tough guy who is jabbing, he'd instantly need rehabbing. Good, talented fighters come a dime a dozen, but don't have it mentally, so they couldn't beat a Three Stooges' begging-to-beat-him-masochistic couzen [sic]. Since the amateurs, David Price has had an ain't-got-it-up-in-da-head problem.

Boxing is 85-plus mental. Zero percent dental. You can have a Leon Spinks or a B-Hop grill. And like the K-bros/docs, not a whup-@ss thrill. But if you don't have a mental toughness, in this legal mayhem biz, you won't be able to climb a moehill. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

1. Getting in the ring is far from overrated.
2. Great big guys are always favored over great little guys.
3. Marquez, if he is on steroids, came to them late, and was already an all-time great prior. Also, just 'cause he settled for donut money in the past, doesn't mean he has to now.
4. Clinching is indeed a lost art.

More importantly, are you attending Floyd, Jr vs Canelo?

1. In my lifetime -- off the top of my head -- I can say, worldwide, for everybody that I eye witness getting me in the ring, 40 didn't come back. Live doesn't even start until 40, $ays my Tio Mamoy. So my life haven't really started. I'm close, though. I'll say that l've witness about 200,000 cats and dames who have tried boxing.

2. I agree. But about 70 percent of the time the big guy is WHUPPED!

3. YUP! Marquez became Hulkquez last year at 39-years old. He wanted an eye-candy muscular physique, so he got bold. But roids and PEDs I believe didn't help him beat Da Manny. Let that be TOLD! Against Hulkquez's fighting game, I have no dirt to hold. On his skills, I'm sold.

4. Ditto!

It is a 70 percent shot that I will be hiding in place sight in Sin City. And seeing Money May beat Canelo down without an ounce of pity. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

Great points made by all, I think it comes down to being relaxed. Like Radam said he he can have the best jab but if Price isn't mentally capable of executing the skills that he has developed once he gets hit he will succumb to anxiety and crumble. The game is nearly all mental, I have seen fighters triumph and crumble when psyche fails in the squared jungle. Doc I hope you can fix him, if you can't then he doesn't have the right desire to be in the sport

dino da vinci says:

1. 200,000!?!? Does the name Wilt Chamberlain mean anything to you?

2. Hey, if we're gonna make up numbers, let's just call it 107%

It's on Netflix as well

Ddv, C'MON, Wilt C never gave an exact number, but it was closer to 20,000. One of my auntie and five of my third cousins and eight of my long-ago neighbors were in that number. They said that the late, great basketballer had a mean dunk, but "a small" D word that rhymes with LICK. Hehehe! Now they said his latter was like a 1,000 percent batter. And 107 percent is terrible. See, whenever one gets gunho, he suffers from inattention BLINDNESS! No need to "make up number." It is a BIG, BIG world, and as time goes by, sightings increase. Trust me! In the last five days here in Leyte, Philippines, I'm seen about 40 kids wanting to box. After putting them in the ring to gut check them for getting hit, only three has come back every day. And two because their pops are making them.

"About" 70 percent doesn't mean 70 percent. About that could mean 65 percent or 75 percent or 3 percent. Wow! Too many readers/posters up in this Universe miss the prepositional phrases of what I post and come up with a whole different, meaning/intention, or something straight up wrong.

See, writing and fighting are very similar -- full of tricks of the trade and magic that the average Joe and Judy cannot quickly catch. When they know the batch, they can become attach, and quit being so in da detach, because with that you end up needing a patch. Hehehehehe! Holla!

Latest Articles