Why I Can't Write Off Pacquiao Just Yet

BY Frank Lotierzo ON July 02, 2013

Pacquiao Marquez weighin 121207 002aSlightly over a year ago Philippine sensation Manny Pacquiao 54-5-2 (38) was in a dog fight with Floyd Mayweather 44-0 (26) as to who was boxing's biggest star and most relevant fighter. There was a good case for both fighters as to who stood at the top of the mountain and the fact that they couldn't agree to a purse split in order to make what was once a dream-fight a reality was sad but plausible concerning the egomaniacs involved.

Then in June of 2012 Pacquiao lost his WBO welterweight title via a dubious decision to Timothy Bradley 30-0 (12). And even though most boxing observers saw Manny as deserving of the decision that went against him, it was very apparent that Pacquiao's former ring tenacity was waning. Despite the loss on paper Pacquiao wasn't, at least at that time, seen as a fighter who should be an overwhelming underdog to Mayweather had the fight been put together after the Bradley debacle. So Pacquiao, being sure that he got the better of Bradley and having nothing to prove, accepted a fourth fight with his career nemesis Juan Manuel Marquez 55-6-1 (40), the only fighter he's ever met who he hasn't defeated conclusively. After getting the slight advantage of Marquez in the first two rounds, Pacquiao was dropped by a single right hand in the third. Manny came back and had two of the best rounds he ever fought against Marquez in rounds four and five. In the fifth, he dropped Marquez. In round six Pacquiao was dominating again and looked to have the fight under control when he was nailed with a counter-right hand with one second remaining in the round that must have been heard around the world. Manny went down face first and wouldn't have beat a count of 60. Fight over and some believe perhaps so is Pacquiao's career as the most exciting fighter in boxing.

As of this writing Pacquiao's star quotient as the supernova of professional boxing is greatly diminished based on the outcome of his last two fights versus Bradley and Marquez ( pictured above, in Chris Farina-Top Rank photo at weigh-in before last bout). It wasn't too long ago that the odds and consensus was split on who'd win between Pacquiao and Mayweather. However, at the end of the day the fight was never made when it was a legitimate Superfight circa 2009/2010. And despite what most think I still wouldn't bet against it happening even though beating Pacquiao now wouldn't carry nearly the significance for Mayweather as he would have if they came to terms back in 2009/2010. In addition to that, I believe that Mayweather warrants most of the blame as to why the fight between he and Manny was never realized. This is sad, because I don't think there's been a single day since they've been pros that Mayweather wouldn't have defeated Pacquiao by an overwhelming decision and controlled the action most of the way.

So here we are five months out from Pacquiao's upcoming fight with Brandon Rios 31-1-1 (23) and most fans and observers see Manny as being on a severe decline and vulnerable to being handily defeated. And maybe he is, but here's what I believe is being overlooked and is the main reason I won't write Manny off yet. No, I don't think he would win more than three rounds against Mayweather if they ever meet, then again I've always felt that way even when Manny was perceived to be at his best. But the the question of the moment is regarding how far gone Pacquiao is as a fighter.

Sure, he's 0-2 in his last two fights but a closer observation makes thing a little less clear. For starters, Pacquiao beat Bradley and should've had his hand raised when the fighter was over. I don't care if you're Bradley's mother, Timothy adjusted during the fight and enhanced his stature as a result but when all is said and done he didn't do quite enough to garner the decision or leave the ring with Manny's title. As stated earlier, Pacquiao didn't look that terrific but he also was not defeated in the ring physically. As for the Marquez defeat, remember, after getting knocked down, Pacquiao was up quickly and was knocking Marquez all over the ring in the subsequent rounds before he pulled the trigger on the best punch he ever launched in a long distinguished career. In fact had time stopped 10 seconds before Marquez drilled Pacquiao and knocked him out, you would've bet a lot on the belief that Pacquiao was on his way to stopping Marquez instead of the opposite.

During the rounds before he was stopped, Pacquiao manhandled Marquez more than he had in three previous fights. He looked so purposeful and sure of himself and appeared to perhaps finally solve Marquez's counter-punching / wait and react style. Actually, in the prior two rounds before he stopped Pacquiao, Marquez looked desperate and as if he thought defeat was inevitable. Then lightning struck and Pacquiao's world was turned upside down. But what mustn't be forgotten in all the hysteria is that Manny just got caught. Lennox Lewis was caught twice and knocked out by one punch, yet came back to score the biggest victories of his stellar career. Fighters get hit and sometimes they get nailed with one they don't see and the last thing they see is the white flash and then they're out. That is what happened to Pacquiao the last time out against Juan Manuel Marquez. No fighter is bullet proof.

Before he was knocked out by Antonio Tarver in the second round of their rematch, Roy Jones looked better in the first round than he did in the previous 12 of their first fight. Roy was glove-shy for the rest of his career and never recovered from being stopped by Tarver. On the other hand, Tommy Morrison and John Ruiz suffered two of the most devastating knockouts in boxing history to Ray Mercer and David Tua, and both came back and fought without trepidation for the remainder of their career.

I'm confident that Manny is more likely to emulate Morrison and Ruiz than Jones. I believe Manny will go right at Rios as if the last Marquez fight never happened. He may be damaged goods but he looked so good against Marquez before he got caught that I'm not yet willing to write him off and declare that he's finished. If it turns out Pacquiao has lost anything it'll most likely show up against Rios, who will be bringing it every round. If Manny is sharp, Rios will be walking into punches all night. The thing that will make Manny look great if he's still got it is exactly the same thing that will show whether he's slipped. Because Rios will be presenting him with openings and opportunities as long as the fight last.

Frank Lotierzo can be contacted at GlovedFist@Gmail.com

Nice work, Superscribe F-Lo. But I'm going to bob and weave, slip and slide, ride and hide, roll and stroll and not comment yet. To disrupt this Universe a couple of haters, posers and phonies are all set. I'm going to let 'em give it their best. They don't understand that fantasy cannot win a single boxing contest. In dat squared jungle, you can't be faking it. You have to be baking it. Cyberspace thugs actually believing that they are making it.

I'm going to let 'em keep getting on their clown. And show 'em dat boksing reality -- not crackpots' fantasies -- wear the crown. Holla!

Manny beats rios like a red headed step child

and rios will never be the same again.

It won't even be enjoyable it'll be concerning.

Carmine Cas says:

I think Manny can recover and put a whoopin on bam bam

kidcanvas says:

manny destroys rios, made to order for him

Real Talk says:

I agree with amayseng and kidcanvas. Couldn't have said it better myself. Me I'm laid back in my style. Happy 4th of July people. Till the earth blow like symtex, I'ma be here chilling, middle finger, index.

Dueces ;-)

gibola says:

Manny should win, he's the better fighter, but at his age and what we've seen in his last two fights I give Rios a really good chance. Style-wise Rios seems made to order, but if Manny is deteriorating and Rios gets confident and gets on a roll, his pressure style and KO power could be a nightmare for the 2013 version of Pacquaio. I pick Pacquaio but he could be past the point where he can handle a strong, committed guy like Rios. Manny on points, but he could well get KO'd too.

dino da vinci says:

I agree with everything the great Frank Lotierzo will ever write. (Except if it pertains to B. Hop, which would be my one possible exception. I might agree, but then again, I might not.). If Frank was to write something I disagreed with I'd change my opinion because his is that good. The only thing I'd add to this article is it's actually Manny's last three fights that show the decline, not just the last two.

It is all about the da stage, not da age. Da Manny will not be in a Sin City's no-way-out-bigoted cage. And from the Hulkquez's kayo, Da Manny is turning to a new page. He is now a killa, a thilla, a chilla, and a whuppin'-arse-boksing gorilla that you shouldn't engage. From China on, Rios, and every fighter and dey soul are gonna get a severe beatdown for a monster wage. Holla!

brownbomber says:

If Bobby Arum can pull what you are saying off, about Pacy's fight, I will give you props. It may be genius when all is said and done in what arum is doing with the $5 a pop for the fight....

It will be pulled off! Easy! BREEZY! Not a bit of Sin City SLEAZY!!! Holla!

brownbomber says:

It will be pulled off! Easy! BREEZY! Not a bit of Sin City SLEAZY!!! Holla!

Props if you are right

brownbomber says:

It will be pulled off! Easy! BREEZY! Not a bit of Sin City SLEAZY!!! Holla!

Hey homes have you ever heard of "Alkaline water" ? Did you use that to train for fights? I got my guys on that and coconut juice plus pedialyte...

brownbomber says:

It will be pulled off! Easy! BREEZY! Not a bit of Sin City SLEAZY!!! Holla!

I'm down with o-p-p me and treach

dino da vinci says:

Brown Bomber, what gym are you training your fighters out of?

Alkaline vs acidic very important.

Research the body's ph balance.

Many cancer patients live and survive a lot longer with an increase to alkaline away from acidic.

Alkaline water all day! That acidic syet will bloat you and stress your brain chemicals, instead of loading 'em up with the happy-and-ready-to-go chemicals that are suppose to trigger whup @ss. Holla!

BTW, Brownbomber coconut water is used at all the super elite gyms. Old skool uses coconut water, juice, oil and meat for everything. Holla!

Alkaline vs acidic very important.

Research the body's ph balance.

Cancer cannot live in an alkaline environment . This can be obtained by puchasing a water ionizer or drinking baking soda(preferably non aluminum baking soda with molasses and fresh cinnamon). Decrease the meat intake and increase alkalizing foods like kale and celery...patients have been documented curing cancers using inexpensive. Simple remedies. If the body is fed correctly and in the proper alkaline state .....it can cure cancer on its own...

Coconut oil and water is considered a super food. Its the only oil you should cook with...very nutritious.. and one of the best sources of omega 3 fatty acids.

Yep ditto that.

I've been working with cancer Pts almost 8 years now and have seen it first hand.

It's not always 100% cure, depending on the stage and metastasis.

But every pt has survived better and longer with an alkaline ph balance.

Interesting stuff for sure...Amayseng...I wish I knew this when my elder family members where dropping like flies... Now there is a revolution in medical knowledge thats about to turn everything we thought about medicine on its head. And its coming from the natural foods movement.

Cancer prevention and forming can and will also be halted by consumming mangosteen, langka and, especially, lanzones. Holla!

Matthew says:

In my opinion, Pacquiao first started to show signs of decline in the Margarito fight. His punch output is not the same as it was when he first moved up to welterweight; I suppose that's just a sign of age. I don't think he's done, but I don't believe he can ever again be the fighter that he was in 2008 or 2009. While I have always said that I thought Mayweather would beat Pacquiao by decision, I think it would have been very competitive had they fought three or four years ago. He should be able to not just beat Rios, but look very good in the process. I don't think you'll see him gun-shy at all.

JSYWK, Matthew! What you didn't know about Da Manny was that you saw the one with psychological chump outness. That decline that you saw was from meddling, agitating Born-Again Christains, who put into Da Manny's thinking that violent was wrong and ungodly. So Da Manny fought Tony Margarito passively and punkish. He did the same with Clottey, Mosley, Marquez, Bradley and the going-through-puberty-for-the-second-time infamous Hulkquez.

But now we have the Jewish-type of Christains that marched outta Egypt stealing syet and kicking arse, and the Catholic crusaders who marched around pillaging, raping and killing everybodee and dey momma around Da Manny. And you know me. I'm down with O-P-P!

Mindset is mucho important in boxing. Da Manny had been fighting with a decline in mindset because of super-passive-and-weak Christain influence around him. Now he has dominant killa-instinct ones around him again. You will see a difference in Macau.

Kill TIME, BABEE! And let Jesus sort it out. He Was One Mean Son Of Mother Mary. He marched into Helldom and kayoed Satan. He Cussed out a fig tree. He Whupped gamblers In His Father's House. He Called Out Peter for not having faith. He verbally busted up posers who wanted to stone a his main ho. And he slapped horny "Doubting" Thomas for calling her a lie.

The mean Jesus-like Da Manny cometh to Macau to Jesus-like whup Bam Bam. Reports and sighting of the decline was a played-on-you optical illusion. Holla!

Coconut oil and coconut water is great. I use the oil for all my cooking and I use The oil and baking soda as my toothpaste. not to be gross but I had bleeding gums last year and now I don't. Coconut oil is anti viral and anti bacterial. Fluoride is poison . Hitler was the one of the first to put it in the water supply. The commies in charge of USA gov put it in the water at an even bigger % then hitler did. jeopardy question of the day.... whats the main ingredient in Prozac ? Fluoride. It keeps you slow and stupid so you cant think for yourself. ever wonder why the majority of people put up with kardashians and biebers andf mileys? hmmm. sugar is good for you. Fat is good for you. corn syrup and chemical sweeteners cause cancer. any born again Christian that supports zionism is not a christian at all. Zionism is a plague. the Egyptian people threw out the Muslim dictator because the Muslim dictator is backing al quida in the killing of Christians in Syria. Our gov supports Morsi in Egypt and al quida in Syria. research it and debate please.

Wow..I thought I was a nutrition expert...you guys (Deep..Amaseng...RG) are pretty formidable with the healthy advise... you guys will be posting long after the rest of us have turned to dust.

B-sugar what's the new revolution coming that you posted about?

You have done good knowledge as well.

More and more people are learning about less expensive natural health care and preventative measures instead falling into the frequently vicious cycle of toxic medication ...hospitalization and exorbitant billing.....I guess you are apart of the revolution.. visit "juicing vegetables" for an introduction.. its one of the many alternative health sites

@radam
You are 100% right and Asia especially Japan has been on alkaline for a long time. I was told that everyone of their hospitals has it. I bought a machine from enagic in Torrance which is shipped right from Japan and I have 3 fighters on it daily as well as myself. I can't live without it. You are spot on about coconut juice, oil, etc. every place in So Cal pretty much sells it, including at gas stations as well.

@amayseng

Thank you for your insight. I had my aunt who had breast cancer on it and I believe it helped her during chemo.

Asia has many foods that I believe have really helped people and athletes respectively. I think that it is barely becoming known by the mainstream U.S. but I am sure people have known about it too.

brownbomber says:

Thanks I am going to check that out! Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it!

BTW, Brownbomber, blood red oranges nail breast and ovarian cancer. Of course, you want to pick the oranges from the tree yourself. Eat the whole organic orange -- peelings and seeds too. I feel sorry for so many suffering people. The flock and the people die because of a lack of knowledge. And kiwi -- peeling and all -- punches out stiffness and athiritis.

I don't know many times that you been to rain forrests of Asia, but we are healthy as heck -- real people. My 113-year old uncle and 106-auntie still climb and race up 50-meter coconut and guava trees. And they can still water dive about 80 to a 100 meters deep. Nutrition -- properly used -- has a great taste and will not make your body waste. Or your grill and gums on the wrong toothpaste. So getting knowledge, you should make haste.

BTW, I run into the USA general public who has never seen red-meated oranges. Then again, I run into who has never seen or heard of purple-colored yams. That color yam is powerful preventing and curing a lot of ailments. Holla!

brownbomber says:

My Granpa used to give us blood red oranges as kids but I am not sure where he got them from. Do they grow in South America too?

Thank you for the knowledge sir! Have you heard of noni juice? My Granpa gr

I take Noni juice along with prob 10 other supplements to heal my
Discs in my back. It's a fantastic nutrient.

I take Noni juice along with prob 10 other supplements to heal my
Discs in my back. It's a fantastic nutrient.

My Granpa pushes that stuff a lot. But me n gramps are down with O-P-P so he tells women that it will heal them

brownbomber says:

Never thought I would be talking about this on here but I grow cosmic purple carrots ,red atomic carrots and cherokee purple tomatoes . They all got lycopene in it . Lycopene is anti oxidant that fights cancer . Go to rare seeds.com . You can get a pack of 25 seeds for 2.50 . Even if you live in an apartment you can grow the carrots in containers and the tomatoes in a topsy turvey thing in the window. Knowledge is power. Grow your own stuff and you will be richer in mind ,body and soul. I grow a hell of a lot of heirloom things, romaine,arrugala ,red leaf,grean leaf, Thai lemon basil,Genovese basil, red atomic,cosmic purple,parisan carrots, red zebra,green zebra ,Cherokee purple, copia,brandy wine tomatoes , onions ,garlic ,Boston pickling cucumbers, Stevia ,echinacea ,thyme,rosemary ,oregano . All year long ,indoors and outdoors ,in very small spots. I eat all of it and got some to spar. I give some away to friends and family. I also bring a few things to shopkeepers in west village NYC . I hook Mario b up with carrots and when I go to babbo I get a free bottle of wine and the attention of the whole place when the chef greets me. I bring some herbs to the cheese monger and low and behold I get a lesson and a hunk of the freshest Hudson flower cheese on the arm. Same thing with Florence butcher , when I pick up some Newport steaks , he throws some extra cuts because I bring him a brown bag of onions and garlic. The world is an interesting place and when you share something you love and are passionate abOut the love comes back like in a circle. Whether its boxing or food there is a lot to learn on here. Whoever mention the revolution before ,you are correct . The revolution is happening already.

I got to try that

Blood red orange grow wildly all over Cali, USA. You can go to someone's yard and pick 'em. And YUP, Deepwater, that purple-color food is POWERFUL, POWERFUL -- the BIG P! And Noni juice is also d BOMB! It prevents and cures ton things. Holla!

Acai with a pinse of coconut sugar is also a powerful super-kick food for you. It will keep your eyesight sharp, and even sharpen it. Holla!

brownbomber says:

Radam do you eat taro root too? I know some of my Samoan homies have given me that out here.
Rack.

Heck yea, I eat taro root. And other roots too, that I cannot think of the names right now. Holla!

This site is a deep well Of knowledge in all aspects of life.
There are some bright folks on here trading knowledge. It's pretty cool.

Wow! Deepwater, you really hit the cure-you-food lotto with the purple-colored fruits and veggie. I hollered at a guy six years ago, who 91-year-old great-grandmother was sent home from the hospital to die in less than two months with diagnosed kidneys shutdown and something else that I cannot remember right. I told the guy to feed his g-granny blended-up smootie-like purple cabbage, purple kale, purple acai power and purple beets in alkaline water. Two day later, his g-granny was urinating again. Though purple pi$$! [I guess sometimes that yellow chemical needs to be able to come purple rain to an arse. Hehehehe! Just joking. You know me! I'm down with O-P-P!]

The G-granny is nowadays on just about purple everything veggie and fruit. And the speed of her peepee is faster than a two-year old's. This 97-year-old granny will likely see a 100-years old and a decade.

The first medicine for everybody should be correct, ungovernment-fudged-up food. Holla!

Wow! I hope that Casmine Cas doesn't come after me for knocking the U.S. government, because that is the government that I'm knocking with the WHOLE TRUTH, SO HELP ME GOD!

All I know is that every Pinoy -- around those former U.S. military bases --who started eating GI-Joke food starting losing their grills, getting big-arse bellies, cancer and skin and hair problems. And I have been proven to be 100-percent RIGHT nowadays, BABEE! The Kanos have gone, and thus the health problems. The USFDA has since banned and removed a lot of those foods from the Kanos' diets in the USA.

Don't think that the U.S. doesn't guinea pig its own people. YUP! Corrupted U.S. politicians are always talkin' dat jive about dictators killing their own people. The U.S. government let foodmakers and drugmakers posion its own Yanky arses. A lot of yall muthasuckas has been guinea pigs, and didn't have a clue. And even after you demise, a lot of you are use for glue.

I'm just calling a spade a spade. Don't hate the playa! Hate the play. Besides, I see the television commericals and adds of lawyers telling the injured to come forward because this blah-say, blah-say drug has caused severe cripping injuries and/or deaths. Holla!

It's true. If we could go all organic it would be best thing to do.
But in America u are punished for it with outrageous prices. What a difference it makes though.
When my son was born I fed him all organic for 3 years. That was expensive.
He's now 14 and 5'7 145lbs and built like a machine.
I still feed him a lot of organic foods but its exp as **** and tough to do as a single parent.

I'm with ya RG I see the difference first hand with these kids.

The gov can care less about the masses.

brownbomber says:

It's true. If we could go all organic it would be best thing to do.
When my son was born I fed him all organic for 3 years. That was expensive.
He's now 14 and 5'7 145lbs and built like a machine.

I'm with ya RG I see the difference first hand with these kids.

The gov can care less about the masses.

100% agree fellas

Real Talk says:

I'm into the natural cures. Go to naturalcures.com and check it out. A lot of what you guys are talking about I'm already hip to and it so much more out there. I got Noni juice in my refrigerator right now and had some not too long ago. It works and has heals my mothe and my aunt along wit hmany other people. I drink alkaline water as well and it feels great when I do. Peace and Blessings folks. It's nothing wrong with born again christians either Radam stop it. They follow the teachings of Christ stay in your lane or get with the righteousness. Catholics go against the teachings of Yaweh and Yeshua on so many levels it's ridiculous. Straight up demonic but all will be revealed and the wheat will be seperated from the tare on that day so I have no worries. Know HIM.

Dueces

C'mon, Real Talk! I'm down with O-P-P! You know me! I don't have Jack and Jill, or Calvary Hill against anybody's beliefs. Even when they knock Catholics. The run-of-the-mill living just talk syet and are full of it anyway. I'm down with reality and actuality of all things. And I don't believe for a minute that God Is So Weak And Sentitive that He Is Going To Waste anybody for not believing the same. Everything is everything.

My end to jiving and conviving, and winning and sinning, and being me and down with O-P-P, let death bring. God Is The Judge! Didn't He Make Us from mud? What da fudge! Something got into my mud! It musta' been O-P-P! Everybodee and dey momma, I'm gonna nudge. Pray for me. Don't try to change me. To think your own way, everybody is free. Buy GOLD! Some jack-legged preacher told me that Heaven's roads are paved with gold. And that the gates are made of pearls. Does not anybody know what type? Cultured or deep sea ones? Hehehe!

If there is a heaven waiting on humans after life, that place will be for all. Religion is a right. To each his own. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

We always called them Sicilian Oranges. Very pleasing taste.

dino da vinci says:

Now this is the deepwater we know and love. I swear there's two of 'em. The one: Bloomberg? Bad. Oscar? Bad. Disney Mighty Ducks? Bad. Mother Theresa? Bad. Pope John Paul ll? Bad. John Glenn? Bad. JFK? Bad. FDR? Bad. J. Edgar? Bad. Editor Mike? Bad. Etc.? Bad.

Then there's the guy who brought you the above post.

Hey Dino that's the mind of a fighter for you.

Sometimes in Fight mode and then other times cerebral and deep.
Pun intended.

dino da vinci says:

Hey Dino that's the mind of a fighter for you.

Sometimes in Fight mode and then other times cerebral and deep.
Pun intended.

I like it!

SouthPaul says:

That indeed was a good/interesting read by Deepwater. I got plenty of acreage ... Will need to start up my own garden soon.

dino da vinci says:

That indeed was a good/interesting read by Deepwater. I got plenty of acreage ... Inspiration to start up my own garden soon.

Showtime's Ray Donovan - solid watch. Bit of boxing also in the script .

I still have a room if I need it, right SP? You won't turn it into a turnip or carrot storage unit, will you? Will you?

Hehehehehehe! Danggit! Holla!

Strong finish by deepwater.

Had me laughing with the editor comment.