Paul Malignaggi's Trainer Eric Brown: "Broner Is An Idiot"

BY Michael Woods ON June 17, 2013

MalignaggiBronerPrePC Hogan18Paul Malignaggi's trainer Eric Brown pronounced himself "very confident" that Paulie, an 11-to-1 underdog, even though he holds the WBA welter crown and foe Adrien Broner is coming up from 135, will prevail on Saturday night at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Brown, during a Friday workout at Fight Factory in Gravesend, Brooklyn, said his fighter's attitude and work ethic this camp has been outstanding. I got the sense that the trainer, too, is extra jazzed for this assignment. It seems like he doesn't care for Broner much, and thinks the Cinci boxer has gotten too much of a promotional push, more than his resume indicates he deserves.

I looked deep into Brown's eyes, to see if I could pick up on a flicker of prevarication, when I asked Brown's degree of certainty that his kid would have his hand raised on Saturday, in a fight which will run on Showtime. "Very high," the tutor said. "The only way I see the other guy winning is if the judges rob Paulie."

Brown said Malignaggi is more engaged this camp than his last, when he readied himself for Pablo Cano. "He's on a bigger mission than to beat Cano," he said.

Of Broner, Brown didn't tiptoe. "He's an idiot," he said. "He's ignorant, a wannabe Floyd Mayweather but he can't be Mayweather. I didn't like him to start and I've grown to dislike him even more. I've always felt he was overrated."

Brown scoffed at the people Broner has beaten to get to 26-0. Foe were undersized, or just came to collect a check, he maintains. "Broner has fought a bunch of underpowered midgets," Brown said.

It's not just fighters who get an extra boost from a matchup against a super skilled and occasionally abrasive foe, huh?

Carmine Cas says:

haha looking deep into the trainers eyes. who is the magic man around here? listen to Paulie he keeps telling you guys he has no shot, The shadow Al haymon is making sure of it. I want Paulie to win but it wont happen. Paulie doesn't have the power to take matters into his own hands. Paulie has to stick and move for 12 rounds and even then the judges wont give it to him. talking to all coaches and sparring mates of Paulie they all say the same thing, At least Paulie is making a huge check. Paulie should cut him up with the jab but thats about it. Broner sounds like a dope though.

I want Paulie to shut this clown up, he's got a chance but I don't think it'll happen

My damn iPhone changed paulie to "Pauline"

WTF.

Broner is a clown. And an idiot.

But he can fight and has skills.

Paulie is right tho he hasn't had to dig deep.

We will see what happens.

I think paulies goal is to get an early lead and make broner press and take him out of

his comfort zone.

Intriguing matchup to say the least

DaveB says:

I think Broner wins this but if Paulie is robbed then I personally, for all that means but it means something to me, won't give Broner credit because the judges messed up. This is mostly intriguing because Broner is moving up two divisions and Paulie does have skills and fast hands with a lot of movement. Still I think Broner has enough to get the win. Broner turns a lot of people off and I can see why. Dude should just be himself. He will still sell tickets without all the dopey antics.

Daveb Broner is a disrespectful punk idiot.

No bs.

Dude acts a fool because he is a fool.

He's solid, but can't hang for a min with the elite of ww

Buzz Murdock says:

I've been way wrong about all of the last big fights, and contrary to popular opinion, i really like broner, finding him his own man, with great talent, whose pretty damn sharp...broner by stoppage anytime he wants...

SouthPaul says:

Broner is a babbling idiot but he's going to legitimately beat the brakes off Lil' Italy.

11 to 1 odds u need to put some $ on PM just in case he pulls off the upset cuz I believehe has a chance. I looked back at some of Broner fights and he tends to start offpretty slow and PM usually starts pretty fast so I think PM is going to won the early rounds. If he can some how winsome of the middle rounds then finish strong he has a good shot at winning.

Ali that's what I said as well.

It's not about fighting 3 mins of each round.

Look how Floyd and bhop dictate the pace, spacing and exchanges

Racking rounds up.

The Good Doctor says:

I agree totally. Broner has better than average speed and some power. However, he can be hit and hit cleanly. And to your point, that tends to be the case more early in the fight than late. Rees, who looked a foot shorter than Broner during the fight got in some real good shots and you can argue that Daniel Ponce De Leon beat him with being active and landing some clean shots. Broner is probably the favorite on fight night but nobody should be surprised if it goes Paulie's way 7-5 maybe even 8-4. I feel like this is going to turn out alot like the first Paulie-Juan Diaz fight where Paulie clearly beat him but they handed the W to Juan.

Matthew says:

Broner IS an idiot. Five kids with different women by the age of 23? Talk about perpetuating a stereotype. I wonder if he can name all of them like Antonio Cromartie did on "Hard Knocks" a couple of years ago. That being said, this kid can fight. He is talented, skilled, and seems to have a pretty good ring IQ. What remains to be seen is how he responds to adversity and if he can take a punch. His chin certainly won't be tested by Malignaggi. While Paulie is the best fighter Broner has yet faced, he doesn't have enough to win. As much as I dislike him, I think Broner wins by late stoppage or comfortable decision.

leon30001 says:

There's a zero percent chance this fight won't end up as a one-sided beatdown. It's a good(ish) name for Broner, nothing else.

Carmine Cas says:

Lol I agree he is a jackass but I feel like a lot of it is just an act just gain exposure and follow in the foot steps of big brother Floyd; he's a sellout. But I think this is an interesting matchup, I am going to screaming **** at Broner

stormcentre says:

Man, PM should be able to win this fight easy. Set that jab up and lean in, hard on well timed right crosses. And, counter left hook, Broner's left hook.

But, then Paulie does seem to have a power deficit that may be offset by Broner's weight/size.

Then, when I read DW's post; I forget my thoughts and think that surely must be it.

That is as conclusive as I will go with this one. I do want Paulie to make Broner's mouth swell, from punches, though.