Maidana TKOs Lopez & Lara TKOs Angulo at Home Depot

BY David A. Avila ON June 09, 2013

MaidanaKarass Hogan6-9-2013jpgCARSON, CALIF.-Argentina’s Marcos Maidana and Cuba’s Erislandy Lara were behind on scores but rallied to somehow win on Saturday at the Home Depot.

Come-from-behind wins were the name of the game at the Golden Boy Promotions fight card.

Josesito Lopez (30-6, 18 Kos) was seeking to win a spot against a welterweight world champion at the Home Depot and Angulo (22-3, 18 KOs) was guaranteed a world title shot in the junior middleweight division. Both lost despite great efforts.

Lopez used his reach and jabs to open up the first round. After getting comfortable, Maidana connected with a solid left hook that woke up the Riverside fighter. He returned fire with blows to the body and head that woke up the crowd.

After winning the second round it looked like the Maidana freight train was at full speed. After clipping Lopez with a few blows, the Riverside fighter urged Maidana for more. Then Lopez fired his own volleys and hurt Maidana with a four punch combo that forced the Argentine to grab tight Lopez’s waist.

“He hit me on the hip and it paralyzed me for two rounds,” said Maidana.

Lopez seemed to figure out the proper distance to fight Maidana and took advantage in round four with long range bombs that could not miss. Maidana tried to counter and ran into some right hands one after another and fell to the floor. It was ruled a slip by the referee.

Maidana needed to change tact and began looking to counterpunch the taller Lopez. After some feints and a few right hands, Maidana opened up with a nine-punch volley that put Lopez in retreat. Lopez ended the round with a long right that connected flush, but lost the round.

The Argentine found a formula and stuck with it. In round six he fired a right to the body and then an overhand right to the head that forced Lopez to take a knee. He got up before the count of 10 but was met with a nine-punch combination that forced referee Lou Moret to stop the onslaught at 1:18 of the round. Maidana was declared the winner by technical knockout.

Lopez was ahead on the score cards.

“I definitely knew that was the way the fight was going to go.  It was a good punch that I gave him,” said Maidana. “It was a great job by the ref because he still wanted to fight some more…nobody knew what was going to happen.”

The Riverside fighter was disappointed about the stoppage.

“I felt the stoppage was a little premature. Yeah, he stunned me, but we’re professionals, we can fight out of those situations,” said Lopez. “I got stunned. I got buzzed. If I’m not down for the count I felt he should have let me fight my way through.”

In the previous bout, Angulo stayed as close as possible against the fast moving Lara (18-1-2, 12 Kos). From the first round it was obvious that the Mexican fighter was going to attack the body and that Lara was countering with left hands.

Lara rarely opened up with combinations as Angulo put on the pressure while attacking the body with short punches. That seemed to be the plan for the Mexican to keep the punches short and it seemed to work as Lara couldn’t get off with punches.

Angulo floored Lara with a left hook during an exchange in round four and a huge roar went up from the mostly pro-Mexican crowd. The Mexican attacked in a lower crab-like crouch and didn’t allow Lara to counter with his left uppercut.

The Cuban fighter stepped up his game in round five after getting knocked down the round before. A pretty three-punch combination from Lara stung the fast attacking Angulo, but not enough to hurt him. It was a good round for Lara.

Angulo returned to his low crouch and pinpointed the body of Lara every time the Cuban stopped moving around the ring. Nine-punch combinations to the body stung the Cuban’s left side in round seven.

The body attack paid dividends in round eight for Angulo, who was firing eight and six-punch combos at Lara, who returned fire with one-twos, then moved.

Angulo kept pressuring and firing to the body then suddenly erupted with a left hook and down went Lara again. The Mexican fighter kept the pressure and hurt Lara again with a right hand. But Lara showed he was still in the fight with a crisp one-two that stalled Angulo’s attack a few seconds in the ninth round.

Once again Lara came out more enthusiastically following the second knockdown and Angulo went back into stalking mode. A sudden three-punch combination from Lara landed and suddenly Angulo turned his back and walked away. Referee Raul Caiz immediately signaled the fight over at 1:50 of the 10th round. Two judges had Lara slightly ahead 85-84 and one judge saw Angulo ahead 86-83. But the huge hematoma on Angulo’s eye was evident.

Lara was ecstatic.

“It was a great opportunity, Angulo is a great fighter, he put me down twice but he couldn’t continue in the fight,” said Lara, who suffered knockdowns for the first time in his pro career. “I feel I was still winning the rounds. The only rounds I lost were when I hit the floor.”

Angulo’s trainer Virgil Hunter claimed that the injury was caused by an illegal thumb to the eye by Lara. The gloves were confiscated by the California State Athletic Commission for inspection. Angulo was taken to the hospital for a possible orbital bone fracture.

Other bouts

Fans didn’t appreciate the tactical win by Jermell Charlo (21-0, 10 Kos) over Philadelphia’s Demetrius Hopkins (33-3-1, 13 Kos) after 12 rounds in a junior middleweight bout. Houston’s Charlo was the more aggressive and was rewarded by all three judges who had him winning 115-113. Fans booed throughout the fight for the lack of action.

Orange County’s Ronny Rios (21-0, 10 Kos) started slowly against southpaw Mexican Leonilo Miranda (32-6, 30 Kos) but after two rounds he found a rhythm and systematically beat down the taller fighter. From rounds three through six Rios hit Miranda with pounding shots while the lefty was unable to connect with anything significant. Finally, after a savage beating, Miranda’s corner stopped the fight at 1:37 of round six.

“I believe in my fighters,” said Frank Espinoza, who manages Rios. “I think he’s ready to win a world championship.”

Ireland’s Jamie Kavanagh (14-0-1, 6 Kos) looked extremely sharp in stopping Mexico’s Alfonso Landeros (21-32-2) at the end of round three in a lightweight match. Now training in Indio with Joel Diaz, the Irish fighter attacked the body relentlessly and was accurate throughout the fight.

“We made some slight changes,” said Kavanagh, who formerly trained at Wild Car Boxing. “I worked a lot on staying down after my punches. It made a difference.”

Former U.S. Olympian Joseph Diaz Jr. (5-0, 3 Kos) was deadly accurate in stopping Rigo Casillas (8-11-1) at the end of round three of a featherweight fight.

Showtime beats HBO again. Two great fights. Lara and Angulo go back and forth until Angulo folds and then Maidana and Lopez let it all hang out. I have no problem with this stoppage. Lopez had taken several clean shots and was not defending himself. Four warriors gave all they could.

Lara's glove was apparently jived with by his corner between rounds. Because that thumb area of the glove magically came loose, the bout should be called a no contest. It is some darn devils up to no good in the City of the Crooks -- I mean Angels. Holla!

Great fights except the D hop fight.

God awful. Awful. Awful.

Very good fight showtime is the #1 network for boxing now without a doubt

DaveB says:

Lara's stock drops in my book. Fighters are incredible. In the post fight interview they all say the same thing. I knew I was going to win the fight and his punches were losing power. Yet during the fight they are fighting for their lives and it is in question if they will even finish. If Angulo's punches were losing power why was he getting knocked the hell down by them? Lara is a jive turkey. Another thing that amazes me is that at an elite level most don't have a good strategy or a back up plan. I couldn't understand for the life of me why Lopez didn't hit Maidana with another body shot. Maidana can not take it to the body. In the Khan fight if Khan had of hit Maidana with another body shot the fight would have been over in the second round or whatever round it was. If Lopez had of hit him again with another body shot or a few more it would have been interesting to see if he could have continued. I don't think he would have. Gamboa is becoming boring too. I hope he gets to fight a top opponent soon so we can see what he is made of.

SouthPaul says:

The Lopez stoppage was an insy bitsy too soon considering his style. Also, if you look close you can see Lopez using his ring smarts ..kneeling down taking the count for some recovery time. I ain't tripping, though, better safe than sorry. The kid is an inspiration to watch. Take a break, get some rest, when he comes back... Would like to see him and Guerrero g at it.

Great night of boxing .... On both networks .

The BIG problem is that none of these dudes -- except for the Cuban -- knew how to feint and tie up. Lopez should've feinted and bytch held Maidana. Angulo should feinted more and clinched Lara to halt the body-hurt, head-buzzed dude from bambi-bytch moving.

Danggit! Clinching and feinting are lost sciences of the game, or Angulo and Lopez would have been successful. Holla!

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

Lara's stock went up in my opinion and I can see why Canelo's handlers were weary of making a fight with him last year. Lara has exceptional skill, athleticism, and heart. The average fighter would have folded after being hit flush by Angulo, but Lara bounced back and controlled most of the fight. Angulo needed a KO to win the fight in my opinion; this fight reminded of Wladamir Kiltschko vs. Sam Peter, a fight in which Wlad was knocked down twice, but got up and dominated the rest of the fight.
Angulo is never going to be the same, i.e Margarito. No skills, but a lot of heart will get you killed or ruined in the sport of boxing. Good trainers are hard to come by these days and I'm glad that my son has trainer that emphasizes "hitting and not getting hit," which is what the sweet science is all about. Fighters like Margarito (comeback ?), Angulo, and Rios are on borrowed time.

bigstinkybug says:

[COLOR="#B22222">I like Lopez, but he was leading with his head..BIGTIME. He really thrust his head into Maidana's face..lucky no cuts... Maidana looked good, but he should move back down to 140 where he's at his best. Maidana would kill Mathese...

What about DuperBad Chad Dawson? Is his on borrowed time? Lara will not be the same either. I agree that his stocks went up as far as getting fights now. Everybodee dey joking sparringmate can see that his speed and slippery movements were exposed as more hype than reality. Dude can be hit with shift punches all night and a day. He will not be avoided now. Matter of fact, he is a quick kayo waiting to happen. Holla!

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

Yes, Dawson is a little past his prime and his career will always be remembered by the coined phrase, "what if." Chad had all the potential in the world, but didn't have the intangibles that make up a GREAT champion.

On another note, name me one fighter at 154 that you see knocking out Lara. He is better than Trout and would give Canelo fits because unlike Trout he sits down on his left cross, which is why Angulo got busted up last night. I predict that he lands a fight with Cotto or goes up to 160. Holla!

Alvarez beats Lara

Cotto bears Lara.

Angula is a tough out but he lacks skills in every department.

I will get back with you on that. One that comes to mind is the Cowboy Mandingo Warrior. His name slips my mind because da sucka hasn't fought since last year in the Windy City. Maybe his name is Kirkland or something close to that. The Mermaid Ann "Almost whup my arse" Wolfe was his trainer.

He left her claiming that she poisoned his water in that Chicago bout against Molina. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

Great card by showtime, I wanted to see the ref give Lopez more of a chance. Lopez is a warrior, I do agree that Lopez should have gone to the body when Maidana was hurt. For a slick Cuban Lara took too many shots, but I still think he's a formidable opponent at 154. Thinking about it now though; Canelo would handle Lara, if a straight forward Angulo can get to Lara I think Canelo has a good chance of putting him down for good but feinting and jabbing is way in. And I agree Radam, Lopez should have feinted and clinched to recover, that def would have saved his arse. But James Kirkland beating Lara? Maybe, he's shown vulnerabilities

[SRD, here goes my list of those light middleweights who will likely KAYO Lara: James Kirkland, Damian Jonak, Sergey Rabchenko and Miguel Cotto. These are the boxers who will likely decision him: Austin Trout, Vanes Martirosyan and Delvin Rodriguez. Holla!

ultimoshogun says:

Not much to add here...great night of fights on Showtime. Lots of drama. I hope Angulo's injury isn't of the career ending type.

jzzy says:

Lara looks like a young version of Austin Trout. You'd think with his build he'd
generate more power. Lopez got sucked into a brawl when he needed to box and
maintain distance. Angula was so close to the upset, its a shame he couldn't
continue. He's one tough dude.

I just hope that the Cali Commission doesn't sweep syet under the rug. They took Lara's gloves for inspection of why the thumb section came loose. Angulo was thumbed in the eyeball.

The corrupted commission will not come up with an answer is my bet. It didn't come up with plaster of Paris found in Tony Margarito's hand wraps yet. The powers that be don't want that ship of big money rocked. So forever da honey of the truth will be locked. Danggit! That's life. It is so full of strife. Holla!

Lara is with the "Shadow." Hehehe! I guess Angulo will get jobbed and robbed of justice again. That fat-@$$ shadow Haymon has some strong pull. Holla!

I think Lara's stock went up after this fight. I could see him beating Cotto at this late stage of his career. Angulo dropped him twice with two bombs but he got up and kept fighting. I look forward to seeing him again.

The Roast, the Cuban was able to do that because Angulo didn't feint. And Lara clinched -- smartly -- bambi-bytch ran. When you knock down an arse, you feint, hit and wrestle and hit some more. You don't let the arse run, hit, hold and clear his head. Lara is dust against Cotto. Cotto will catch him easier than Cotto caught Yuri Foreman. And Cotto is naturally a lefty. So when he hit Lara with left hooks to the noggin and liver, Lara will panic and sink like the Titanic.

He got a gift with that thumb in the eye. The Cali Commission of corruption took the misteriously loose-thumb glove, but I will be pleasantly shock if they apply justice Faulty equipment is grounds for a no contest. And then Angulo will torch that arse in a rematch. Holla!

Like I said earlier Cotto beats Lara quite convincingly.

Angula is tough but he has zero head movement and skills.

In fact he throws his left body hook standing straight up , all arm.

No legs or rotation.

God bless him it worked a bit but Cotto

is too skilled, tough and good for Lara.

Lara is good but against the top level he will fall short

Cotto's best days were at 140 and maybe 147. Lara and Angulo are natural 154s. Cotto could never catch or hurt the bigger, stronger, faster Trout. You guys see where this is going? Lara UD Cotto. Lara is a pure boxer, with heart, gets up from knockdowns and all that. The kind of fighter Cotto will never fight at this late stage of his career.

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

I couldn't agree with you more. Well said!

Lara moves well but sits down on his punches that's why Angola could get to him, stand

stationary and in front and throw And land punches and combinations.

Trout is constantly moving and does not sit down on his punches, is a bit amateurish in that way.

That's the difference.

The Good Doctor says:

I am the biggest Cotto fan around but when you are right, you are right. I think Cotto is more skilled than Lara, but Cotto is just to small for 154. In addition, you referenced the stage of Cotto's career. At this time, he is looking for something that will be a little more lucrative than Lara. I believe Cotto may be looking at some catchweight fights that can draw some real interest so he can cash out before he's done.

I'm sticking with my 13 shooter. Cotto KAYOS Lara with a shift punch of a left hook to the liver after hurting him with one to the cranium.

WOW! Trust me! Ronny Shields -- Lara's Trainer -- is not on the same hope-jive train with the Cotto doubters.

BTW, the Roast! Cotto is big-boned as heck. He has always had problems making light welterweight. And those problems took away some of his game. Light middleweight is where he belongs at this stage. And he can still rage. He'll kayo Lara's arse, and it will be on the sports' front PAGE! Holla!

stormcentre says:

Gotta admit - that is/was an amazing ending to this fight.

Angulo - for whatever reason (and some may well be justified) - never came across to me as someone that would end a fight that way. That said, he must have been discouraged when Lara kept getting up.