Floyd Mayweather To Fight Canelo Alvarez Sept. 14

BY Michael Woods ON May 29, 2013

005 Floyd Mayweather5-30-2013You wanted it, you're going to get it.

Shortly after 10 PM ET on Thursday evening, Floyd Mayweather Tweeted the news about his next fight, and foe.

"I chose my opponent for September 14th and it's Canelo Alvarez. I'm giving the fans what they want. It will be at the MGM Grand."

Showtime boxing boss Stephen Espinoza confirmed to TSS that the Tweet is the truth, that Floyd will test the kid in Vegas.

The pound for pound ace, who looked as good as he has in God knows how long in having his way with Robert Guerrero on May 5, will be in with another younger, fresher foe.

The Mexican Alvarez is 22, and turns 23 on July 18. He has a 42-0-1 mark, with 30 KOs, and last gloved up on April 20, when he scored a UD12 over Austin Trout. That fight was closer than some of the cards had it, many said, however, so I'm doubting that any and all Floyd haters will be silenced with the pick.

Alvarez is a certified 154 pounder, while the 36-year-old Floyd (44-0) fought Guerrero at 147 pounds. He fought Miguel Cotto, in his previous scrap, at junior middleweight, however. Richard Schaefer on RingTV said the Mayweather-Canelo clash will be a "catch-weight" clash, set for 152 pounds or less. Floyd will draw some scorn for that move, seeing as how he's taken aim at Manny Pacquiao plenty for seeking catchweights. His backers and mega-rooters will note that despite the catchweight clause, the beefy Canelo will likely have a good 15 plus pounds on Floyd on fight night.

I don't see anyone from 147-160 being able to really test the Floyd who moved so masterfully against Guerrero and hold smaller-than-miniscule hopes for a catch-weight dream fight with Mayweather against Andre Ward. That's a long way of saying I don't think Alvarez does more than two rounds better than Guerrero did; but I could be wrong, Lord knows I prove that every day. Readers, what say you about Mayweather-Canelo on Sept. 14?

Follow Woods on Twitter here.

Like I said in my thread he really had no other option if he wanted a mega fight and he it is can't wait.

I like it. We wanted it, we get it. The fight should be at 154. Floyd was fought at the weight before so no excuses. I think Floyd wins by wide UD. Too many flaws in the young fighter. This is probably why Floyd will fight him now, if he waits, Floyd gets older and Alvarez might get better.

I heard its at 152.

Radam u can't respect Floyd for this he is once again

a hypocrite.

He puts PAC down for catch weights then does the same ****

Problem is even at 153 he would dominate Canelo who already

suffers from poor stamina.

Money May is going to beat da holy syet outta da "starved down (what Manny Pacquiao supposely did to opponents) Red-headed supper -- I mean super -- hype.

Pac-haters oughta get two-labor money-making jobs and STFU! Catchweight fighting is half of boxing. Besides, in the annals of the traditional game of boxing, 154lbs are a catchweight anyway. Canelo shoulda manned up and fought at 147lbs. He is the he-bytch. And will run the last four rounds if the corrupted WBC announces that he is ahead on points in that open-scoring bulljive.

The true none-catchweights of boxing are 112, 118, 126, 135, 147, 160, 175 and above 175 -- heavyweight. So -- as I said -- the game is about making that moola at catchweights and jiving the fanfaronades, the groupies and the dyckriders.

Boxing business is fine. And people with issues can kiss it where the sun doesn't shine. Like Larry Holmes said when he was upset by Michael Spinks: "...big, ole behind."

I'm riding with Deepwater! Let Canelo come in over the catchweight limit and pay a fine. He got an @$$ due, no matter the cost. Holla!

The Good Doctor says:

I have been critical of Floyd for his cherry picking but I give him credit for this one. I am by no means sold on Canelo as an elite fighter, however I think he is alright. In addition he is the best option financially and athletically for Floyd which he has had a history of only engaging in at best one of the two. With that being said, Floyd is going to hammer Canelo.

Why does the best fighter in the world who considers himself the best fighter ever

in the history of life who has a title at 154 needs to drain a guy down to

152 to make a fight?

Why does this man refuse to fight a guy at 154 who hasn't fought under 154 in 3 years ?

It's hypocritical bullshit.

I for one see Floyd boxing canelos ears off at 154.

But I do not agree with this catch weight.

As I did not agree with PAC dlh

Boxing is as the old U.S. days of the WILD, WILD WEST. Any and everything is cool. And there is no time for a wannabe fair-fighting fool. That is for the drama and mythology movie making of television and fiction reading of books.

Now I know most people don't believe the syet of fair gunfights in the Old West history. Dudes would shot you in your back in a New York minute, and shoot your momma too, and four of your ugly cousins, your horse and pet dog for good measures.

Everything that you can get away with in boxing is FAIR PLAY! It is all about the BIG PAY! Money May, GBP and Showtime are competing against Da Manny and Da BobFather. Both size are hoping for over four million PPV payouts. It is will be a struggle for Money May, GBP and Showtime. But it's easy, breezy for Da Manny and Da BobFather's Top Rank Promotions.

Competition, babeee! I told yall muthasuckas this from da JUMP! Now get off Money May's hump! By hook, book or crook dat superhype's rump he's going to easily bump. And increase The Money Team's moola lump. Fam May knows that the red-headed superhype is a chump. Holla!

gibola says:

Great news! Agree it should be at 154, also agree that regardless of all that PBF wins all the way. Points is the obvious bet, but I wouldn't be surprised if PBF sliced Canelo up and stopped him late. I think PBF will find Canelo very, very easy to hit all night long. Glad the fight's been made tho - this was the perfect time before it went cold because someone lost (by someone I mean Canelo!). Even though I expect a big Mayweather win, I can't wait for the fight.

vjoe says:

Canelo is a big step up from the Ghost. PBF should win (boring, safety-first decision), but if Canelo shows up with his head on straight I can see this being a pretty interesting fight. Canelo did alright against Trout and hopefully he's still getting better.

Money May is going to beat the snot outta of the Canelo. Canelo's chances of winning are zero and none. And they are going to slap the superhype upside his noggin. Fanfaronades never seen to learn. They get all excited. And hope and believe that Money May has a good challenge, spend their hard-earned moola on an $80 PPV event, and then end up being remorseful and disappointed. Holla!

I'm with Radam this will be worse than ward vs froch.

Canelo is too heavy footed and 152 makes sure he gasses earlier than usual.

Canelos best chance of a competitive fight is to throw nothing but

left body hooks and nothing else.

Maybe a right to the body from time to time just for show.

But this will be a noncompetitive fight.

It's the best fight out there for Floyd if it was at 154.

vjoe says:

I understand the folks that think this is an easy fight for PBF, Canelo's too slow, etc. So the consensus is that PBF's performance against Cotto was just an off night?

I don't understand how y'all don't think Canleo is a elite fighter. His only problem is his stamina if he can fix that problem by the time this fight rolls around Mayweather is in serious trouble.

For goodness sake! Forget about the Cotto dance. Money May had jail on his mind. And his mind on jail. He was not mentally sharp for Cotto, and paid for it. Boxing is a mental sport. A major distraction like going to jail will fudge you up, unless you have the fortitude of GOAT Ali.

When he was threaten with jail, he took it out on his opponents and double whupped doze @$$es. The man was "The Greatest!" Money May was just the latest. Holla!

kidcanvas says:

come on, canelo is greener than broccoli, he has no chance and floyd knows it . i find it hilarious that people take this seriously as a super fight. trout beat him for christ sake really... over hyped fighter and over hyped fight

Hehehe! A war between Cotto and the gingerbread man would probably end in majority draw with Cotto getting cut up, because the gingerbread man would run as fast as he can. Holla!

Homicide Hank never almost won the middleweight. He fought my late, great Uncle Ceferino Garcia in a 10-round fight for the Corrupted-California version of the title. Unc was the NYSAC middleweight champ and had got Pacquiao-Bradley robbed and jobbed out of the world title at welterweight when he clearly fudged up the homicidal Hank. Holla at the bout on Daily Motion or Youtube.

As Uncle Roger May screams: "Most people don't know syet 'bout boksin!' They just ride with a myth in an ant's @ss sec. Holla!

Too bad Big-Foot Bradley will be remembered as getting his arse torched by Da Manny in 70 years still. And I just may still be alive to ensure that people see an eye-witness, not a bullsyeter talking dat bullsyetology. Where are B-Sug and D.C. R T? I wanna know how they will excuse away this two-pound catchweight by Money May. What you say? Down dat jive oughta lay. It is prizefighting, OKAY! You want the big money, you play. You don't! Go da double fudge away. Holla!

i think cotto is head and shoulders above canelo.

U talking crazy Deepwater after Canleo shocks,the world Canleo will show u who's the better fighter

He has no chance alot of y'all gave Guerrero a chance and Canleo is a much much better fighter then him. Come on kidcanvas u should know better fam.

U talking crazy Deepwater after Canleo shocks,the world he will show u who's the better fighter between him and Cotto.

Ali canelo doesn't have the conditioning to make 8 rounds with Floyd.

Add into the fact he is cutting muscle.

Are u expecting him to hurt and stop Floyd?

Because he can't out box him or out point him.

Dang, SCLA Ali! Money May is going to chew your boy Canelo up and spit him out. Be smart and put your money on Money May. He kayoed red-headed Redcoat Ricky Hatton. He is going to slice and dice red-headed hyped-up Canelo. Money May has never lost to a red-headed fighter. Reggie Sanders caused a few problems, but that was at the beginning of Lil' Floyd 's career. Holla!

This is a no lose situation for Canelo unless he gets the crap kicked out of him and gets knocked out. If he loses a wide UD or a close UD in the post fight interview he says,"Well Floyd fought a great fight I take my hat off to him, no excuses he was the better man tonight. I did feel a little drained from getting down to 152. I'll be back." If he loses a close fight or gets robbed he gets a rematch and gets another big payday. Hes young, he learns from it, and still has a bright future. Best lines from above comments are Gingerbreadman and green as broccoli. I LOLed.

Compare cotto's resume against gingerbreadman's. Cotto is on the way out but he still beats red. I got no dog in this fight but Floyd will take over because of his conditioning . Ali ,you picking gingerbread man?

I'm leaning towards Canleo cuz I think he's going to come into this fight in tip top shape. He just had a fight in April so if he didn't just start piggin out I think he can make 152 comfortably.

I remember everybody saying Canleo has no defense and was saying y'all are crazy and the the Trout fight he prove me right. Now all I'm hearing for the most part is his conditioning and y'all are right but that'snot somethen that very hard to fix.

I remember everybody saying Canleo has no defense and I was saying y'all are crazy and in the Trout fight he prove me right. Now all I'm hearing for the most part is his conditioning aint good enough to beat floyd y'all acting like thats somethen that's very hard to fix. Lol!!!give me a break fellas

Ain't hard to fix?

U think he's been training half *** all these years and can step it up?

Everyone genetically has different percentages of fast twitch and slow twitch muscle

Fibers along with a vo2 max which distinguishes their quickness and endurance.

Guys like Hopkins and mayweather have more slow twitch fibers hence why they can go longer and further like

a distance or marathon runner.

Guys like Shane , Tyson and Canelo have more fast twitch which allows them to

have quick explosive reactions with less overall endurance like a sprinter.

This is why a 7% body fat Canelo suffers with stamina and now cutting

muscle will be detrimental to him.

Hey I'm all for this fight and at 154 I think it's a good matchup with Floyd still boxing him easily

but the catch weight will make it less exciting and Canelo won't be as good or sharp

and lethargic by round 7.

Mark my words.

What happened to Floyd wanting a fair playing field and his opponent at their best?

Even Ellerbe's , who's a piece of ****, said Cotto was a "dead man walking" for the PAC fight.

Man I hate ellerbe.

I'd pay to fight him.

jzzy says:

This is the only credible fight for Floyd right now. He's catching flack but lets give him credit for taking
a dangerous fight. Canelo is a young strong bull who will give Money lots of trouble.

Jzzy, C'MON! Lil Floyd is not taking "a dangerous fight." He is dancing with a superhyped, overweight kid who is going to be starved down by two pounds, and is going to get a 148-pounds-of-muscles arse spanking from Money May. How about calling a spade a spade? Don't hide in the shade.

Be REAL! All of you Money May's dyckriders. Get on da good foot. And the whole truth out, you should toot, or even poot.
Holla!

Exactly Radam. I'm just so tired of everyone being so biased

You are allowed to disagree with your favorite fighters.

It isn't illegal.

Floyd's the one contradicting himself.

During the cotto promotion Ellerbe called cotto "dead man walking" when he went down 2 lbs for the PAC fight

I'm a huge mayweather fan, I want the best out of him and ill call him out on this bs.

Why can't anyone else

jiml says:

"I'm with Radam this will be worse than ward vs froch.

Canelo is too heavy footed and 152 makes sure he gasses earlier than usual.

Canelos best chance of a competitive fight is to throw nothing but

left body hooks and nothing else.

Maybe a right to the body from time to time just for show.

But this will be a noncompetitive fight.

It's the best fight out there for Floyd if it was at 154."

I dont even know what radam is saying

jzzy says:

Gentlemen, I see your frustration with this catch weight business but what other opponents are
going to generate ppv dollars for Money at the moment. Floyd knows his meter is running down,
why wouldn't he negotiate some advantage for himself. This is and has been boxing for the last
decade, Canelo has the fan base and is the only credible threat to Floyd at this point in time and will
generate a huge gate, its just smart business sense. These dudes aren't in this business for fun,
its all ABOUT THE MONEY.

Jzzy this is the best fight for Floyd but at 154.

No one else makes economic sense especially for 70$ ppv.

No one else would sell.
Floyd has a belt at 154 but made Canelo come down anyways to get an advantage.

The best fighter on the planet shouldn't even ask for that.

But Floyd has no humility.

Wow! Jzzy, it has been boxing, period! People always pretend or naively believe yesteryears were better. There has been catchweights, corruption and even alphabet-sanctioning organization from the jump. And straight hype-up arse fighters who couldn't wear the jockstrap of my six-year old son. Holla!

If he did he wouldn't have 3 different allegations in 10 years of domestic violence on women. Come on Amayseng there is no need to bring that up.

When asked about his advantages over opponents, Floyd told Tribune.com.ng, “Like I said before, I’ve never fought a guy at a catchweight. I don’t fight guys at catchweights. I don’t plaster my gloves. These are things I don’t do, because I’m not that type of guy.”
The truth is self evident.

Hypocrite straight up I remember him saying that I have to keep it 100.

vjoe says:

Yes, Cotto has a better resume, but I think his tank has been close to empty for several fights. Personally, I thought Canelo should fight Cotto next and then PBF as I see his steamrolling Cotto which would kick the hype up even higher for PBF.

I agree totally agree

Well Ali I'm tying it all together with his "even playing field"

"I want my opponents at their healthy weight not drained. ".

Meaning his word is bs.

All these Floyd riders are so biased its sick.

jzzy says:

Amaseng, Radam, I can't contest any points you're making. Unfortunately, Boxing like most sports and I daresay, all
human endeavors is peopled with connivers and hypocrites and certainly Floyd can be counted among them.

Agreed jzzy

Ill stop harping on it but like I said Floyd is too good he didn't have to use a catch weight

all it is gonna do is cause him grief after the win.

He's going to.he grief after any fight that he's in Amayseng.

Ppl say he's the best fighter in the world but he only fights guys he can beat do y'all know how stupid that sounds. If your the best u don't think nobody can beat u. Am I right or wrong?

SCLA Ali, you are DEAD WRONG! Prizefighting for the greats is like picking a fruit to eat. You don't pick it until it is ripe for your taste of eating it. Same with prizefighting whup@$$. When the time is right, you pick the fight. C'mon, DUDE! Get on the real-life train. And use your brain. And get outta the acid rain. With pridefighting, a great has little to gain.

It is all about making the maximum amount of moola with the minumun amount of trouble. And trouble comes double. And your arse will be turned into rubble. So Money May ain't gonna be letting nobody burst his bubble. And that is the smart way of life in the hurt bitnezz, my brotha from ur-nother motha. Holla!

He's going to.he grief after any fight that he's in Amayseng.

I disagree.

If he fought Canelo at 154 lbs where they both have belts and where Canelo has fought the last 3 years

then Floyd would not catch any flak for beating the best challenge out there for him

in a legitimate , no compromised fashion.

But he isn't doing that.

Sergio didn't complain or ask for a catch weight and Chavez came in 26 lbs hydrated for their fight.

Radam u make a good point but at that's not the point I was making. At the end of the,day if your the best fighter in the world u don't think nobody can beat you especially if no one has done it. I don't care if he's fighting another elite fighter in his prime Mayweather believes he's going to win.

Amayseng I remember u saying a few times Mayweather looked gas in his fight with Cotto. So how do u know Mayweather won't have stamina problem in his fight withCanleo?

Money May was "gassed" in the Cotto because of the mental pressure of going to jail. On Canelo, Money May's punches will rain like hail.
With the super hype, Money May will not have any stress. All the haters, he will again impress. Canelo is going to be a bloody, pathetic mess. And I will be a ringside house guess. Holla!

For whatever reason during the cotto fight he had trouble with getting his second wind.

He made a comment that he overstrained for cotto.

For whatever change he made, I'm guessing training as a 36 year old fightr not a 26 year old fighter

his conditioning against the ghost was phenomenal.

He'll pot shot, counter, blaze a right hand and spit laterally all night long to a UD.

Amayseng against the ghost he fought at 147. Even when he fought ODH at 154 he punch output was lower then normal and he barley escaped with a SD.I just dont think mayweather is the same fighter at 154.

stormcentre says:

Yes, it's hard to think that Canelo will have the balance and footwork to get the shots off and react to Floyd; the way he will need to.

Canelo just hasn't fought anyone that present as a really polished fighter yet. Sure, there are very few guys that will prepare you for Floyd, but unless Floyd grows old overnight or Canelo lands luckily; Canelo will be schooled and swatting flies.

True dat, Strom. Money May is going to torch the red-headed superhype's arse. The kid is in deep kimche. And it is smelling badly. Hehehe! Holla!

Latest Articles

salkaimpressesontysonqshoboxqcard
heybernardcutshumenovsomeslack
howhediditvideoanalysisofpacquiaoswinoverbradley
undefeatedheavyweightsbryantjenningsamikeperezcollideinawbcheavyweighttitleeliminatoranddanielgealebattlesmatthewmacklinsaturdaymay242014americanbankcenterincorpuschristitexas
thefightgamewithjimlampleykicksoffseasonthreewithanallneweditiondebutingsaturdayapril19
websitepublishergregleonnowceoofpascalpromotions