SCARY POWER Matthysse Stops Peterson in Round 3

BY Michael Woods ON May 18, 2013

Matthysse win 5-19-2013Lucas Matthysse proved the point that he has dangerous hands, for those who needed it, as he stopped Lamont Peterson in the third round in the main event at Boardwalk Hall in AC on Saturday night, and on Showtime. Peterson tried to box slick early, but a left hook put him down in the second. With his legs compromised, as he tried to regain his full faculties, Peterson had to fight in the third, and it didn't work; a left hook sent him down, he got up, and ref Steve Smoger looked hard at him. Smoger let him continue, but another left hook ended it. The end came at 2:14 of the third, via TKO.

Jim Gray spoke to Peterson after. He said he felt OK physically. He said he got lazy with the jab, and got caught. He noted that he was hit behind the head. Did he recover from the first knockdown? Yes, he said. He felt he could have fought through it, but said Smoger did the right thing. "He's a good fighter," Peterson said.

To Gray, Matthysse said he saw what Peterson had in the first and started connecting in the second. He said he prepped for 2 1/2 months for the fight and that was the difference. Now, he said, he knows he is the best at 140. Danny Garcia next? Yes, he's ready for it, and thinks Al Haymon and Golden Boy will make it happen.

Peterson (31-1-1; DC resident) was 141 pounds, while Matthysse (33-2 1 ND; from Argentina) was 140 on Friday. The fight was billed as a "welterweight special attraction" though both men hold belts.

In the first, Peterson maintained the distance he desired. He jabbed and moved and Lucas wasn't able to shrink the ring on him.

In the second, Pete went down, and Smoger called it a knockdown. A left hook did it, I saw on replay.

In the third, a left hook counter put Pete down. He was wobbly, and went down again right after. Smoger gave him a chance but wouldn't chance yet another.

Carmine Cas says:

Peterson got careless, Matthhysse has power, the "new Manny Pacquiao" lmao

Wow! Roids and PEDs ain't syet! Poetic justice is on the scene. Lucas M beat muthasucka like a jelly bean. Don't cry for me Argentina! Holla!

SouthPawFlo says:

This Matthyse guy is impressive..

Carmine Cas says:

I hope Lucas and Garcia fight!

DaveB says:

This guy has power but I'm still not impressed by him. A good fighter will beat him. I hear if he beats Garcia Mayweather will fight him at 154. If he accepts Mayweather wants him to be drug tested every day and will offer him $10 for the fight.

Very impressive win by Mattysse. I think he KOs Garcia. Those two close points losses seem to have sparked Lucas. Very exciting fighter. The fight could be over at any moment. I was standing up the whole time. Bring on anyone and everyone!

LM is the real deal.

Garcia will be knocked out.

LM has gotten his groove and is in his prime.

Dude can fight. He kept steady and proper pressure and wa able to be

in the pocket to land shots when it counted.

Matthyse is a stud.

Did anyone notice the last time they showed the camera on the Garcia's how his brother or whoever that was, close his mouth to cover his grill?

Ya that was hilarious.

Dude is a tool the way he was acting

Peterson got careless, Matthhysse has power, the "new Manny Pacquiao" lmao

He didn't get careless he was buzzed.

He was still hurt and couldn't box properly at a distance his balance and timing was off.

He tried to adjust and fight closer.

And got destroyed by a great fighter.

Peterson is a piece of ______! He didn't have his homeboy Joe Cooper refereeing for him. And he may need to triple up on the roids. Double dosing is not helping his Low-T arse. Holla!

I was kind of surprised Smoger didn't let Peterson get up after that third knockdown. He must have seen something in Lamont's eyes. I think I'm gonna keep watching this fight over and over all night. Tonight is the 11th year anniversary of the first Gatti-Ward fight. Lucas would fit right in with those two.

He saw the TRUTH -- the d@mn roids and PEDs were a bad batch. And Peterson was absolutely no MATCH! Holla!

maromero says:

What would afight with Marquez be like?

Matthysse is on that sh!t and he still ain't sh!t

Grimm says:

Like with dutch soccer players and their powerful shots - it's something about argentinians and power punching. In relation to the number of top class-fighters, an extraordinary number has heavy hands. I would say it's in the way they train, their school of fighting. Certainly some fighters have a knack for it, but the spice comes with the training & technique. I love it.

Lucas brings excitement and attention to the sport, like every true puncher - he couldn't have arrived on the big stage at a better time.

deepwater says:

Wow. Loved this fight. I thought low t would run a few rounds.lucas vs Garcia ASAP

Matthysse is on that sh!t and he still ain't sh!t

It may be time for an intervention for Ali.

Dude no doubt has knack. And he can straight-up CRACK! And his fists talk da SMACK! Sorry, SCLA Ali! Dude is legit. He is not on that syet. Those in da know KNOW! He is not on dat $h¡t on the down low. Deal with it, my botha!

Low-T Peterson still has his low-value alphabet-sanctioning organization world title belt. And maybe Jesus Wept! Steriod pellets shot up Low-T Peterson's @ss were no help. From becoming the top dawg at light welterweight, Matthysse cannot be kept. Holla!

@maromero, a dance with Hulkquez will end in the same way. Matthysse is the roids-and-PEDsBuster. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

He didn't get careless he was buzzed.

He tried to adjust and fight closer.

And got destroyed by a great fighter.

I'm not attempting to diminish Matthysse's performance, looking back at it now, it would have been a matter of time before Peterson was put down but he fought Lucas' fight too soon, he should have tried to box more. I like Matthysse, I want to see him whoop Garcia

I understand daveB

I just think after he landed tat left hook and put him down Lamont

was staggered and not the same mentally.

It may be time for an intervention for Ali.

lmao! I didn't even remember posting that last night I had one to many. You can tell Matthysse is a born puncher but I'm still not impressed he lost to Zab & Alexander I know it was close but he lost period.,I want to see what happens when he fights somebody that can back him up Rios & Ruslan are two guys that come to mind.

Carmine Cas says:

I'm happy that Lucas got a win of this magnitude, he deserves and I hope he fights Garcia next

But I must give Matthysse his just due he did just destroy a top guy @140 now it's time to see if he can do that to the #1 guy @140 in Danny Garcia.

DaveB says:

I can't wait to see Garcia vs Matthysse too. Matthysse is going to get runaway praise right now. Puncher/offensive fighters always do. The winner of Garcia Matthysse will get off the chart praise. Somebody is going to get knocked out but the winner's day of reckoning is coming too. These guys are elite but they are not the elite of the elite. I don't even want to hear talk of either of them challenging Mayweather. Garcia will do well concentrate on his defense when he fights Matthysse, if fact if he doesn't the fight is over. He can not afford to get lazy even for one second and he must hit Matthysse with hard shots to stop him from swinging wildly at will. He must mix in some good body shots. Body shots will hurt anyone. Punchers come in over confident with one plan of attack. He will be open for some good body shots.

Bout time you saw my intervention post. Haha

DaveB who else is there to challenge Floyd who would be somewhat credible?

Canelo can't come down to 147 and Floyd won't fight him at 154 ben tho he has a belt there.

The PAC fight will never happen.

I say the winner of Garcia and Matthysse gets Floyd at 147.

Floyd weighed ok a t 146 this past fight.

Who else is there for a ppv worthy Floyd fight?

DaveB says:

Amayseng, that is a good question. That is why I think it will be interesting to see who Showtime can come up with to fulfill the next five fights. There really aren't any legitimate challenges for Mayweather especially when they will all be ppv fights. If they were regular showcase fights on regular Showtime that would be different. Do people just want to see Mayweather fight mismatches? You and I know, although others disagree, Mayweather always stacks the deck heavily in his favor so that the actual fights are non-events. That is why I jokingly wrote he will only fight Matthysse at 154 (because Matthysse is only 140) implying fighting the smaller guys at the higher weights and the bigger guys at the lower weights. There are some fights I so wished he had taken in the last few years but he didn't and now I don't want to see him fight stiffs and set ups. These two guys won't be good challenges for him. 147 isn't a stacked division any more.

The 154 Lucas comment was funny.
I totally got it.

Floyd will be remembered as coulda shoulda woulda.

You are right these ppv fights aren't events.

The ghost was like a sparring session with Floyd running and buying time.

Sure he won in convincing fashion. But it was quite disappointing and there was a lot

of negative feedback.

The ppv also didn't sell well.

Now showtime is stuck with a spoiled brat who has locked

himself in his room and won't come out to play as Canelo is waiting.

kidcanvas says:

I expected nothing less from mathysse.. thank you steve smoger for being the great referee you are.. when i knew there was going to be a good match up i always hoped its you as a ref or frank cappucino,u both let the fighters fight without petty bullshit ...

dino da vinci says:

Canvas, you can add Russell and Bayless to that list. Unfortunately, not many great refs out there. The job doesn't look that difficult.

Schteeeve says:

I see Matthysse destroying Garcia.

The Argentinian can crack.

deepwater says:

Smoger is the man! he lets the fight go. Ron Lipton is good too but he is blacklisted due to being honest.

When u see Smoger being introduced it brings a peace within

knowing that you are gonna get a referee who allows fighters

to do what they are there to do, fight until one should not be fighting anymore.

Ill take Matthysse by 5th round knockout.

Garcia even with boxing and safety first still comes forward.

The Good Doctor says:

When u see Smoger being introduced it brings a peace within

knowing that you are gonna get a referee who allows fighters

Ill take Matthysse by 5th round knockout.

Garcia even with boxing and safety first still comes forward.

Agreed. Once Zab figured Garcia out he was able to thud him quite a few times. Unfortunately Zab figured it out about 2 rounds too late. Garcia has proven to be relatively easy to hit and with Lucas that is not a chance you can take. In the back of my mind, I think Matthysse may wait for the Bradley-Marquez winner, which I believe is Marquez, and see if he can get him. I think it could be the type of payday he is looking for.

Real Talk says:

RADAM G IS THE BIGGEST HYPOCRITE UP IN HERE!!!!!! YOU WASN'T SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT PLANKQUIAO USING PED'S BUT NOW YOU WANT TO GO ON LAMONT PETERSON. COLD COWARD. SHUT YOUR B!t(h @$$ UP AND WORRY ABOUT SLUMPQUIAO OR WACKQUIAO PUNK. DUECES

Wow! If and when "Pacquiao" use some PEDs, he will get the treatment. That syet is for losers. I have yet to hear about one Pinoy on dat syet. We're not hypocrites. If you cannot handle the truth that is on you. Da Manny won a lawsuit against Fam May and GBP for claiming that he was on that syet. They even apologize for saying and paid nicely for the jive.

Everybodee and dey momma know dat Lamont Peterson admitted to being on dat syet, given to him by a D.C. quack. Call me what you will. The truth, it doesn't kill STILL! Da Manny is not on dat syet. All dat are on it ought to QUIT. IT doesn't work anyway. The best fighter wins on any DAY!

Cool off, dude! Low-T Peterson got fudged up. Don't be a weakling because your homie was exposed. C'mon, man! Develop some cojones! Losing happens -- PEDs and roids shot all up the @ss or not. One life, we got. So get off the crying bytch pot. I'm 100 percent LEGIT! I don't post fake syet and agitate and use different pseudonyms and bytch run after having breakdowns like those couple of phony boys of yours. Now those bytches are going to start posing again now that you are in sadly and immaturely in their pockets.

Life is a bytch, and in the end you lose that life. So use it without being a fool. Angry sits in the bosom of a fool, and uses his head like syet in a toilet strool. Holla!

Nobody will find that syet in Pinoys. We KNOW HOW to get it right and STRAIGHT-UP FIGHT or go out on our shields. And when we are getting down, the whole world take notice and YIELDS. Don't HATE! It is not on us that so many busters, faders, frauds cannot relate. Come November, it will be a time to REMEMBER! Da Manny and "The Fiilpino Flash" will be back up in the house. And every hater will be acting like a scary-@ss mouse. Being clean, the Pinoys will be TRUE! And they will whup their opponents black and blue.

World-wide, Da Manny will have the largest amount of PPV payouts ever sold. It is Pinoy Time! It's Asian Time! And nobody -- and I mean nobody -- can put that on hold! Holla!

I don't understand this post.
PAC has never tested positive for anything illegal.

Lamont did test positive and admitted to using, for quite some time now.

What's not to understand Ameyseng? Real Talk just went off on Radam G, he used all caps and everything. I would have to watch again to be sure but in the pre fight feature on Peterson he was saying he didnt take anything. His trainer didn't understand why he wasn't mad and why he didn't want to fight the charges but Lamont just said something like "this is part of God's plan." I think I saw that but I did have a few beverages by then. Besides, JMM has never failed a test and that doesn't stop you and Radam from calling him Hulkquez and whatnot.

Danggit, the Roast! You are definitely suffering from 3d distraction and blindness. Nobody and dey sidekick missed the sad-arse excuses that Lamont Peterson used for being dirty last year. Thus, even deepwater calls da dirty dude "Low T." Matter of fact, deepwater and I are in sinc 95 percent of the time, but readers have inattention blindness to his posts and came after me -- exclusively. You know what I believe. Deepwater put fright into these no cojones dudes.

Have you ever heard of the "Westies" of New York? D@mn! Y'all don't mess with deepwater. You will go for a deep dive in a shallow pool. Hehehe! I'm just playing. Holla!

From articles I read Peterson admitted to using testosterone pellets per a dr prescription.

Although still illegal.

And he never reported it until he was caught with illegal T levels.

I'm a huge fan of jmm.

But fact is fact, he was doping.

I may not have been too many pro boxers,

But I was around pro baseball and I played with guys

who began using and the results are there.

I saw it first hand.

Although still illegal.

And he never reported it until he was caught with illegal T levels.

I'm a huge fan of jmm.

But fact is fact, he was doping.

I may not have been too many pro boxers,

But I was around pro baseball and I played with guys

who began using and the results are there.

I saw it first hand.

Fact is fact? What facts do you have? Once again, what test did JMM fail?

What did Money May fail? But J-Lamp claimed confirmation about xylocaine being used by Money May a couple of years ago. Money May did not deny it, and did not use it in his last bout, and ended up hurting those frailed mitts of his.

J-Lamp -- in one of his episode -- clearly said that Marquez morphed into a remarkable muscle machine at such a late age. And many suspect PEDs and steroids. The proof is in the pudding. Hulkquez is the Lance Armstrong of boxing. Just keep your eye on the sparrow. Holla!

Fact is fact? What facts do you have? Once again, what test did JMM fail?

At near 40 it is impossible to make the gains

Naturally in which jmm made.

You prob think the Rock is all natural too.

I understand your point.

But fact is jmm turned into a one punch killer and was physically jacked.

At near 40 it is impossible to make the gains

Naturally in which jmm made.

You prob think the Rock is all natural too.

I understand your point.

But fact is jmm turned into a one punch killer and was physically jacked.

You are mixing apples and oranges my friend. Everybody and dey mama know dat wrestlers are on 'roids, HGH, PED's and all that. They have to be big and strong to throw each other around. Baseball players were/are on that stuff too. Long fly balls turn into homeruns, I know. I watched the McGuire,Sosa, Bonds era too. Boxers are different. Strength alone doesnt get it done. You say JMM suddenly turned into a one punch killer. I say he just threw and landed the perfect punch. Even light punchers have landed one-punch KOs. Benitez-Hope comes to mind. We will have to agree to disagree.

I agree with you, the Roast. But Hulkquez was on dat syet for eye-candy effect. And he did land the near-perfect punch while enhancing it with a perfect trick of the trade of stepping on the foot. He was da man on that night with one-shot success. Da Manny was whuppin' dat arse and got careless. But he has destroyed Hukquez, as well as the Cali Cranium Crusher/Big Foot. You saw it with Bradley in his bout with Russian Rocky. You will see it with Hulkquez against Big Foot.

Mark my words. It will be two shot fighters getting down. And wishing that they would have taken that fight with Da Manny, who will make upward of $60mil in his bout with Bam Bam Rios in Macau. Holla!

I like JMM to KO Ram Bradley RG but I don't know about that fight in Macau. Rios may do better than expected. Its gonna be a tough fight.

Da Manny will stop Bam Bam, but Hulkquez and Big Foot will be in a limit war that will end in a draw or close victory for either fighter. I favor Big Foot because he will bambi hop da night away with those size 13 doggs. Holla!

We'll see my Pinoy pal!

PAC slaughters rios in a disturbing fashion where Radam has to cover lil Radams eyes like a scary movie. .......

And I'll take jmm by KO over Bradley.

All the fake hype that is Bradley will make his mentality

that he is a warrior when in fact he has no power and

Got concussed 17 times last fight by the Russian.

Jmm lands a good shot and buzzes Bradley, then

lands a combination where the ref jumps in for a quick

and controversial , but appropriate stop.