De La Hoya Says No 147 For Canelo Against Mayweather

BY Michael Woods ON May 17, 2013

Oscar-De-La-hoya-canelo-alvarez-floyd-mayweather5-17-2013Oscar De La Hoya told TSS that he's with the rest of the boxing world, that he'd like to see Floyd Mayweather glove up against Canelo Alvarez in his next fight, in September.

I asked Oscar (seen on right, with Canelo before Austin Trout fight, in Gene Blevins-Showtime photo above) this afternoon what the latest is on negotiations to make a scrap between the pound for pound ace and the Mexican phenom Canelo. Will it happen?

"I hope so, it's a fight the whole world wants to watch," he said in a phoner, after we talked about his trip to the TV upfronts in NYC. "If anyone can do it, it's Golden Boy."

And what of the talk of a catchweight, we heard Floyd Sr is saying that fight would have to take place at 147, and Richard Schaefer indicated that's BS....

"Floyd Junior is a competitor, he wants the best," he said. "I don't see an issue of not making it at 154."

But, if Team Mayweather said it's 147, or no deal, would and could Canelo make 147? "No, no, his legs are so thick, his neck is so thick," Oscar said.

Even making 152 would be a stretch, he said.

He does expect Canelo to stick around junior middleweight for awhile, though, and said that he doesn't see him jumping to 160 in the near future.

Readers, I want your take. Should Floyd ask Canelo, who is a light heavyweight on fight night, to make 147? Will he? Or will Money take the bout at 154? That'd make sense, considering some of the guff he's given Manny Pacquiao for doing catchweights, right? Weigh in, in our Forum.

That is his way of getting out of the fight. Bottomline! Dude and Big Money O want no parts of Money May until -- maybe -- 2015. As of now, the red-headed hype couldn't wear either Money May's money belt or jock strap. Holla!

deepwater says:

an all time great would accept the challenge and seal his legacy. a cherry picker would use weight as an excuse and ditch the fight. floyd can retire 50 -0 but wont get recognition ,ever. a guy at work just reminded me of all the fight parties we used to have ,for chavez,trinidad,dlh,roy jones. i asked him if he evr has any fight parties around floyd, response was no, no excitment. also just watched max baer fights. no way klitcho beats that crazy man

deepwater says:

here is an example of an all time great taking risk and coming out like the champion that he is. I will also say here right now that in 5o years people will be admiring and talking about hopkins legacy with pride. floyds legacy will be tainted and always with a mention of cherry picking clown. tye fields and paul spadafora had/have better records then floyd.

Antonio Tarver vs. Bernard Hopkins
CompuBox Punchstats
Total Punches Hopkins Tarver
Landed 133 78
Thrown 417 437
Pct. 32% 18%
Power Punches Hopkins Tarver
Landed 126 48
Thrown 343 211
Pct. 37% 23%
Jabs Hopkins Tarver
Landed 7 30
Thrown 74 226
Pct. 9% 13%
2006-06-10 : Antonio Tarver 174 lbs lost to Bernard Hopkins 174 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
Location: Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
Referee: Benjy Esteves Jr.
Judge: John Coyle 109-118
Judge: Clark Sammartino 109-118
Judge: Al Bennett 109-118
International Boxing Organization Light Heavyweight Title (Tarver defending)
National Boxing Association Light Heavyweight Title (Tarver defending)
Promoters: Golden Boy Promotions, Star Boxing
Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
Aired On: HBO Pay-Per-View (Main Event)

Notes

Tarver was a 3 to 1 favorite.
Hopkins was guaranteed $5 million and Tarver was guaranteed $3.5 million.
Tarver had to lose more than 40 pounds to get down to 175 after playing the fictional heavyweight champion in the film Rocky Balboa.
There was a crowd of 10,200 at Boardwalk Hall.
Tarver was ruled down in round five when his left glove supposedly touched the canvas after a Hopkins right. However, a video replay proved inconclusive as to whether or not the glove actually touched.
Tarver lost a $250,000 bet with Hopkins after he failed to stop him within five rounds. The money went to Hopkins' Make A Way Foundation.
Tarver's right eye was nearly swollen shut.
Hopkins won The Ring Magazine World Light Heavyweight Title.
The fight generated 330,000 pay-per-view buys and $16.5 million in pay-per-view revenue.
Tarver later said he thought he might have been drugged before the fight.
Unofficial ESPN Scorecard: 118-109 Hopkins.

I love Hopkins.
At 48 he just fought a 31 year old young lion with a belt.

At 36 Floyd is trying to get the 154 champ who has not fought at

147 in 3 years to come down and drain himself.

After degrading PAC for catch weights and doing it himself with jmm,

That's some bullshit.

Floyd just fought at 154 2 fights ago and has a belt at 154.

So what's the problem?

Why is Floyd always looking for a way out?

Why is he always avoiding a challenge?

I think everyone should boycott Floyd with his 32 million dollar payday to not be exciting.

And I'm a huge fan of the sweet science. Hopkins last fight was more exciting than Floyd's.

DaveB says:

Floyd wants all the advantages even when he would otherwise be favored any way. As Frank L. said the guy doesn't have as much faith in himself as everyone else does. But after he beats guys that you would expect him to he still wants the love. When was the last time you felt nervous before one of his fights? Al Haymon and Mayweather are risk adverse. So far that has been rewarded.

Well DaveB at this point it's a bit embarrassing.

Floyd has a belt at 154 and is asking a guy with a belt at 154 to drain himself.

Canelo doesn't have enough stamina for 12 rounds at 154

let alone 147.

kidcanvas says:

always looking for an easy way out of a great fight... he waits till they are old,lighter weights moving up and old or when they are ready to retire and their best is behind them.. i have no respect for floyd, he could of been really great ,to late now,who know how good he could of been by challenging himself

All of y'all talking crazy!! y'all didn't have a problem with ODH calling all the shots when he fought Mayweather. He picked the size of the ring, the gloves, & the weight . I didn't here y'all saying anything about Pac and all of his catch weight demands hypocrits

Ali if u think its fair for Floyd to drain Canelo from

154 to 147 then there is nothing anyone can offer u.

I feel Floyd beats Canelo at 154.

It's not about who I'm picking.

Floyd is a hypocrite. Always has been.

Worse. He's finding a way out if this fight.

Plain and simple.

Sorry u don't see it.

I always said PAC gets no credit for the DlH catch weight fight.

It would be the same thing Floyd is doing to Canelo.

I'm a huge PAC fan but I am fair. No credit against a drained DlH.

If Floyd doesn't fight at 154 for Canelo

then it's on him finding a way out.

Wouldn't be the first time. Sadly.

Just because Oscar the promoter says this doesn't make it true. Don't believe the hype. Just wait and see. Floyd fought Cotto at 154. Why would this be any different. Oscar can't be trusted any more than any other promoter.

DaveB says:

Ali, Oh yes I did have a problem when de la Hoya called all the shots for his fights with Pacquaio and Mayweather. I was so happy when Pac stopped him because of it. I want a fair one. I also criticized Mayweather for his fight with Marquez and his not making weight. And I criticized Pacquaio for the catchweights because he is the one who should have called the shots not his trainer.

Money May is a prizefighter, not a pridefighter. He must control the flow. Just as a long, long trail of super greats are, Money May is the archmaster of his show. He is out in the open, not on the down low. What a lot of people are expecting from him, I don't know. Holla!

Well Radam we are expecting the best fighter in the world to fight Canelo

at his natural and health safe weight of 154 without

draining him or finding a way out of the fight.

That's what we expect.

Floyd is having his dad speak for him so he can say

it didn't come out of his mouth but his dads.

It's bullshit.

I think PAC should fight on the same date in sept

and let the fans choose which fight to buy.

Ill bet pacs sells more.

I know Mayweather is a hypocrite but so are alot of the fans. Floyd fought 2 fights at 154 and he had difficult time in both fights. You know why? cause he's not really a a Jr middleweight. It's pretty obvious that 147 is the best weight for him to be fighting at so why does he have to be the one making the sacrifice in weight when he's the man. Now I would like for him to do it cause it's a fights I want to see but im not going bash him for it cause I think he knows Canleo is better then Cotto and Oscar @154.

Money May is RIGHT! Jive da red-headed hype. He ain't running syet. If he wants to fight Money May, he fights the "hypocrite" by the terms of the hypocrite. And if the hypocrite wants to dance with him, he will agree to those terms. It is prizefighting, not fans' choice or pridefighting. Money May is on lock, and only Team TMT has the key. And when they open that lock, Canelo will get double fudged UP! Holla!

DaveB says:

Uh-oh. I see Radam and Ali have joined forces, kinda like Arum and Schaffer. I see we ain't running syet on here so I guess we'll all just have differing opinions. And yes, I have to concede Mayweather runs the show, for now.

Hehehehe! DaveG -- I mean DaveB -- GOOD ONE! Now that smacked me right to the funny bone. But this is "The threatre of the unexpected." So never be surprised of the bedfellows. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

Pac shouldn't get credit for the Cotto fight either, if I'm not mistaken Cotto DLH Mosley and Margacheato not only had catchweight stipulations but rehydration clauses as well, it's bs

Carmine Cas says:

If Mayweather thinks he's the best then he must beat the best at their best. Floyd really wants Canelo to fight at a lower weight he's putting his foot in his mouth because he accused pacquiao of dehydrating his opponents. He must not have a lot of confidence in himself or he just wants not to break a sweat when he fights

Carmine Cas says:

He's fought at this division before, holds a belt in it. What's the matter Floyd? Is it because Canelo is still young and strong, and not over the hill or war torn?

your a 100% right and just like Mayweather agreed to fight Oscar at a with that he wasn't comfortable with the same thing goes for Canelo. Pac was the man so fighters was agreeing to his catch weights and was catching a fade. I hate when fighters make excuses after they get there *** whoop don't agree to the B.S if u feel it going to make u weak period.

Now u have guys like Chad Dawson who wanted to fight Andre Ward and was willing to go down in weight to make it happen and I applaud him for that I really do. But at the end of the day it probably wasn't a smart move and got his a$$ chopped up for it. Don't forget we as fans ain't the ones getting socked in the fu©king face so it easy for us to just say just fight this guy or that guy at his weight.

If u don't give Pac credit for all his catch weight fights then why do y'all say he's so great? I personally give him credit for those fights cuz there was alot of people who said he was too small to won those fights. Most of his biggest fight were at catch weights Mosley,Cotto, Oscar, margacheato so how is he top 10 or 20 all-time

The bouts with Mosely and Big Money O was at full welterweight, not catchweights. Money May knows -- not thinks -- that he is the best. Double fudge the red-headed hype. He ain't running syet. And would get his arse whupped at any weight with Money May. Money May is the MAN!

Agree to fight the MAN at where he wants, or shut da double fudge UP! And move on. Money May is free. Not a boxing slave to anyone. He paid the cost to be da boss. And would easily give that hype a severe arse thrashing and loss. Holla!

DaveB says:

I give Pac and Mayweather too, for that matter, more credit for their lower weight fights. I do give them credit for the higher weights but the catchweight thing has been way overdone. Every once in awhile there are two fighters that have cleaned out their respective divisions and a catchweight is the only thing that can be done. However if you fight at catchweight I think you should not get full credit for winning the title from the heavier division or as much credit overall. Andre Ward gets credit for his fight against Dawson because Dawson wanted it and agreed to coming in lighter to it to make the fight but Ward doesn't get full light heavyweight credit for fighting a drained Dawson at 168. But that was the only way the fight was going to get made then because Dawson had no intention of moving up. That wasn't a catchweight but you get my point because if that fight had of taken place at 172 the advantage would probably still go to Ward before the fight even took place. Because money is king May and Pac set the rules and won more titles than they deserved. It was impressive to see them move up from 106 but we will see where people place some of these latter fights when their careers are over.

DaveB says:

I meant Ward had no intention of moving up

DaveB says:

There are always going to be concessions that you make that in retrospect are going to be bad decisions - fighting a puncher, using lighter gloves, different make of gloves, catchweights, smaller or larger ring, coming out first into the ring by coin toss if you are the champion. That's boxing, some time you lose and you may lose badly. Even fighters say they want to create excitement for the fans. I've heard almost every fighter say that at one time or another. Whether they mean it or not is another issue.[/QUOTE
I agree DaveB I think,all of the elite guys have taking chances in Mayweather case all his chances have ended up W.

It is all about baiting and switching. A successful top dawg cares about getting your butts in those seats and eyeballs struck to those television PPV screens, picture-show big screens and computer screens. A great fighter says what it takes to get PHAT pay. He is like a used-car salesman.

A fan is seen as a naive customer. Make the customer feel important and in control, and he or she will feel-good spend like a fool. And have buyer's remorse like muthaclown afterward -- too late. Holla!