Mayweather PPV Does Over One Million Buys

BY Michael Woods ON May 10, 2013

MayweathervsGuerreroIMG5-15-2013The numbers are in, and Showtime is reporting that the Floyd Mayweather-Robert Guerrero fight did over one million buys.

Stephen Espinoza, head of boxing at Showtime, told TSS that he is quite pleased with the result, and that the buy rate shows that Floyd Mayweather is the top PPV draw in sports.

"Rumors of our financial demise were greatly exagerrated, if not fabricated," said Espinoza, in reference to the Twittersphere speculation earlier in the week that the PPV was in the 800,000 neighborhood.

"We wanted to take our time, not speak without a sufficient basis. We're very comfortable saying the buys are going to be over a million. These numbers re-confirm that Floyd is without a doubt the top pay-per-view draw in the sport. This kind of number without the benefit of a well-known opponent establishes Floyd's drawing power."

Espinoza admitted he would have liked a few more weeks to hype the promotion. "The promotion was a little shorter than usual, by a few weeks," he said. "But I'm very happy how the promotion happened, the visibility in the general market. It was a big win. One big focus was on the non-boxing and casual fans, and we reached them, and in the process further elevated Showtime's brand."

Follow Woods on Twitter here.

Boxing doesn't have an offseason, so I was curious, have talks between Showtime, Team Mayweather, Golden Boy and Team Canelo started?

"I have spoken to reps for both fighters as well as Golden Boy, talks are ongoing, and it appears all sides want that fight as first choice," Espinoza told me.

I heard a rumors that perhaps Canelo might be pricing himself out, wanting too much money. Has Espinoza heard that? "I've heard nothing along those lines," he said. "Of course the deal with the fighters is with Golden Boy, not Showtime, but I am in the loop in those discussions and I haven't heard of any major problems in prelimary talks."

Carmine Cas says:

That fight should happen next, I don't want to see him fight Khan that would be bonus. Financially speaking it's not the mega bout we have craved for the last 3 years but it's up there. From a promotional prespective it's a gimme

dino da vinci says:

MayweathervsGuerreroIMG5-15-2013

Espinoza has nothing to apologize for. I've never been more aware that a fight between two opponents was going to take place. Ever. Yes, I live in Las Vegas, but no matter what I listened to, what I watched, what I picked up to read, driving down the street viewing billboards, fighters images on the side of the MGM Grand, national television, various non-boxing websites, it was so impressive I thought it was an election. No one who cared could have possibly been unaware of this match-up. Great job, Showtime.

Carmine Cas says:

Would be bogus*

SouthPaul says:

Interesting stuff, Dino. I do a lot of driving around Southern California. It ain't out of the norm for me to dip thru 4, sometimes 5 major counties in a days/nights time . I saw nothing out of the normal other than a billboard on the side of the 710 freeway as you're approaching the LBC area. Neither did I hear anyone overly excited about the fight. What really stands out the most is..the increasing PPV amount, specially in HD. Yikes. I also think yesterday's 500 thousand PPV buys is today's million . Either way, someone is getting more rich, other than that it's business as usual...

dino da vinci says:

SP, I'm surprised to hear that considering the heavy concentration of Latinos in the Southern California market. Thanks for the input.

Ddv, that Latino South California Market is CATHOLIC. They dissed the Cali Ghost for being an arrogrant born-again, fist-beating, Christian. No people like somebody who has abandoned his denomination and start telling them that he is now God-Chosen, special and all who is not like him is going to hell. Holla!

I knew they was talking crazy Floyd is a high star.

riverside says:

spot on Radam, I work with a couple of re-born, they try hard to fit in, they claim they" saw the light" the klight made them change their bad habits and actually they been in the gutter and then changed., the only light that strait them was either the red light in the rear view mirror or the the beaming flash light in your eyes, Guerrero doesn't fit with Mexican boxing ideology followers.

Hehehe! Funny as heck! Good one, Riverside. Holla!

deepwater says:

I learned to box in catholic school from k to 8 . Born again is way different . Freedom of speech and association I say.