MORE MERCHANT Larry Likes Pacquiao-Rios

BY Michael Woods ON May 07, 2013

larry-merchant-face-530x332It looks like a fair number of you were hoping to see Mike Alvarado get the nod against Manny Pacquiao for Pacman's November date in Macau. Many fans think Alvarado's boxing skills give him a better chance to better the 34-year-old Pacquiao and suspect Rios, a straight ahead rumbler who often neglects defense, is tailor made to help Pacman stop his losing streak.

I checked in with former HBO analyst Larry Merchant, who has kept busy doing work for Top Rank following his exit after 35 years at HBO, to discuss what is forthcoming for Pacquiao, Juan Manuel Marquez, and the other fighters clustered at 147 pounds.

"Instead of a fifth fight between Pacquiao and Marquez, there are two pretty good ones instead," he said. "In regards to Rios versus Alvarado for Pacquiao, it is a question of style, they want someone to come straight forward, give him chance to have a spectacular showing."

Does Merchant think fans are disappointed, that Alvarado--who by the way was medically disqualified from a November fight, as a hurt tendon in his hand might not be healed-- would be a better style matchup for Manny? "I think Alvarado poses a more complex problem to solve," he said. "He would try to box but that doesn't mean he'd really be tougher to deal with than Rios, Rios is young and impossible to discourage, a guy who just keeps coming. That's the style that either gets knocked out or surprises everybody by beating the old guy.

Merchant is happy with the Pacquiao-Rios pairing, as well as the Marquez-Tim Bradley fracas, slated for Sept. 14 in Las Vegas. "I look forward to both fights, two fights is not a bad thing. I would bet one would turn out to be terrific, the other could be explosive. There is mixing and matching possible in that division and that promoter and those four guys promises over the next year or two years that we see some damn good fights. It will sort itself out is my philosophy. Yeah, I'm interested in the narrative of Pacquiao and Marquez because it was more than just a one punch fight."

Merchant is also interested, as we all should be, to see how the Pacquiao-Bradley fight does in Macau. What if Top Rank can build a base there, and starts moving more and more bouts there? I'm guessing that because Manny is Filipino Macau emerged as the best location, but what if that venue makes overwhelming bids for more and more Top Rank fights, not just Manny fights? That's fine if you're taking in the bout on TV, but what if you're a person who likes to attend big fights in Vegas or Cali or NY? What about the press? How many media do you think will be able to convince their overlords to pony up for transport and lodging in Macau? And is tax avoidance a palatable reason for booking a fight in a certain location over another? Sure, for the person(s) avoiding the bite from the taxman, but is it "fair" to the system, to the masses? The answer might depend on your politics, on how you see the world. If you think it's OK for corporations to park their cash in tax havens, declare that profits are being made out of the US, so they aren't subject to taxation, then you're probably fine with this practice. But if you think there is something stinky, sneaky and greedy about, for example, Apple parking two thirds of its cash stash, approximately $102 billion, overseas, out of reach of Uncle Sam, while they enjoy the business-friendly infrastructure our system of laissez faire governance allows them, then maybe you aren't so psyched to see tax avoidance become a deal-shaper in the boxing realm.

Thoughts, TSS Universe?

Matthew says:

I'm fine with more fights being staged overseas, especially for the purpose of avoiding taxes. Taxation is legalized theft at the barrel of a gun being held by the U.S. government. It's no different than a highwayman holding up your covered wagon. These highwaymen just happen to be wearing suits. I just find it strange that all of a sudden Arum, a committed, lifelong Democrat, has a problem with U.S. taxation policies. "Yesterday I was lying, today I'm telling the truth."

A person has a right to change his mind. Da BobFather is committed to telling the truth. And truths are not always the same forever and a life time. It is all about timing and evolution of change. That is just the way life rolls. Holla!

Matthew says:

While Arum is a great promoter, he is also a snake. I wouldn't believe most of what he says, and I don't trust him any further than I can throw him.

It is all part of the game. There good snakes. He is one of the goodies. There bad snakes -- Muhammad Murad Muhammad. And the late "White" Don King. You have to know when to trust and when to rush. That is how you get that money lush. Holla!

Raiders says:

You should go to Somalia and maybe you would appreciate your goverment, the USA was very good to Manny and he spit in it's face.

deepwater says:

taxation is theft. . Man works to satisfy his desires, not to support the state. When the results of his labors are taken from him, whether by brigands or organized society, his inclination is to limit his production to the amount he can keep and enjoy. The indirect tax is a backhanded recognition of the right of the individual to his earnings; the direct tax, however, boldly and unashamedly proclaims the prior right of the state to all property. Private ownership becomes a temporary and revocable stewardship.( the question is does the state own you?) arum lies,they all lie. boxing is truth but its surrounded by lies and dirt. I am happy for this fight also. high taxes ruin economies. expect more fights in other countries.

jzzy says:

Didn't realize Alvarado was injured and unable to fight the rest of the year. Rios is a good fight for Manny,
really the only game in town now that Marquez vs Bradley is a go. Rios will put up an action fight and has
name recognition to sell PPV.

deepwater says:

are you a drunk? what kind of thing is that to say. united states of america founding fathers were anti-tax. maybe you should research it a bit before telling people to go to Somalia if they don't agree with the government.so the usa was very good to manny,ok. the state got lots of tax money from manny. did manny provide aservice to earn that money? or did the state bless him with the money for nothing. Thomas Jefferson:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Raiders says:

I'm going to sound like Angel Garcia but you had a guy like Danny who fought for the USA and gets no love but a guy like Manny comes here gets rich and than disrespects the country and gets a pass. If Mayweather had said I hate pays taxes the response would be different.

Raiders says:

It's no taxation without representation, if Manny had went to countries with no goverment or corrupt goverment he wouldn't make 25 million and fight, if tomorrow there was no goverment Manny would have no where to make his massive paydays, don't act like China is a free country it's communist, people are really controlled there.

Nobody here is from here except the American Indians.

The government has NO right to overtax

the people who pay their ridiculously high salaries

Over tax is theft it is stealing.

The economy has dropped and my house is worth less

this year than two years ago but my property taxes went up.

F this government.

I say throw them all out and start all over.

I'm glad PAC went to china.

I hope Floyd goes there next.

deepwater says:

"Apple parking two thirds of its cash stash, approximately $102 billion, overseas, out of reach of Uncle Sam, while they enjoy the business-friendly infrastructure our system of laissez faire governance allows them" I just spit my coffee out at work. ha ha ha. this is not Laissez-faire in action! this is fascism in action. all of obama/bush/clinton boyz at ge,apple ect. get away with it because the politicians are hand in hand with these corporations. ("Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini. "Some corporate embarrassment today for President Obama.

The chairman of the President's Council on Jobs and Competitiveness -- also the CEO of a billion-dollar company -- paid no corporate taxes in 2010.

General Electric, led by Obama appointee Jeffrey R. Immelt, reported worldwide profits of $14.2 billion last year -- with $5.1 billion coming from U.S. operations -- but had no American tax bill, and claimed a tax benefit of $3.2 billion, The New York Times said.

deepwater says:

Nobody here is from here except the American Indians.

The government has NO right to overtax

the people who pay their ridiculously high salaries

Over tax is theft it is stealing.

The economy has dropped and my house is worth less

this year than two years ago but my property taxes went up.

F this government.

I say throw them all out and start all over.

I'm glad PAC went to china.

I hope Floyd goes there next.

bravo sir.

deepwater says:

what country has no government? is this government corrupt? if there was no government what would we do ? what the hell did the usa do from 1776 until 1913? there was no federal income tax!

Raiders says:

Africa is full of failed goverments and Latin America is full of corrupt goverments to those people you sound like Paris Hilton talking about how bad her life is. Europe overtaxes, I think America gets it pretty right. I live in Texas I pay more than most because of property taxes but I've seen the alternative and it's bad. It's funny that if I bashed the USA over something else I'm unAmerican but bashing it over taxes is okay.

Raiders I understand your points.

Just because other countries have it bad doesn't mean

it's ok for our government to have it wrong as well just because it isn't as bad.

There is no excuse for it.

Look how much a senator or member of the House makes!!!!

Plus all their paid expenses.

They are stealing right out of our pockets as we stand there like a bunch of pussies doing nothing.

Raiders says:

I respect your opinion and no one likes taxes,when you see how bad it is elsewhere I'm like it isn't to bad here.

deepwater says:

how did the country get by from 1776 to 1913 with no federal income tax? America is great. Liberty is great. Freedom is great. I live in ny . my property tax is $14,000 a year for a modest 3 bedroom on a 100 by 100 lot.I pay 1200 a month before i have my first bite of food. I pay 35% income tax. And i am effected by the hidden tax. The inflation tax that wipes out 20% of my purchasing power when it comes to food,water, and medicine. if you think its american to shut up and be robbed then you don't know what an american is.

Carmine Cas says:

I live in NY property taxes are disgusting, taxes have evolved into more than what they were initially formulated for. They are a means for widening the socio-economic gap. American corporations are awarded tax loop holes because they are in bed with Washington, while the middle class is burdened with America's debt. If there are to be taxes everyone should pay fair share, no one is excused. Pacquiao fighting in China is fine

Carmine Cas says:

However Bob's only intention is for what's best for his off shore accounts and Top Rank, he does not care about the desires of boxing fans (the same goes for Floyd).

Bravo sir

Deepwater those numbers are insane.

I'm with ya. I feel for ya.

If you lead a revolt ill suit up and be beside ya.

Haha.

deepwater says:

Deepwater those numbers are insane.

I'm with ya. I feel for ya.

If you lead a revolt ill suit up and be beside ya.

Haha.

yeah man. come to think of it maybe Somalia doesn't sound too bad.

Grimm says:

A discussion about taxes in US is beyond my realm, but I would like to add that in my perspective it ain't the taxes that's the problem - it's what comes around after you've paid them.

I pay pretty much the same income tax as deepwater - but I imagine we get different things for our money.

If I get ill, I'll get top-class treatment - and I'll get it for free. I don't even need any kind of insurance. Don't matter if it's an illness that demands intense care for several years, if I have to spend months at a hospital, etc. The same goes, of course, for my children (and I have a bunch): be it asthmatic problems, epilepsy or whatever, all investigations, treatments and medications are for free.

If I loose my job, I'll get 80% of my wages for more than a year, so I won't have to sell my house asap.

My kids go to school from year 6 to 19 for free, and every single day they get good, healthy lunches.

Downsides? Of course. The upper echelon of corporate society are paid way less than in USA, as are the politicians, and perhaps most important, we have nothing of your kind of military-industrial complex or wars abroad that costs more than any man can count.

At the end of the day, I'm happy to pay my taxes - and nothing supports the theory that people work less because they can't take out 100% in salary. Functioning societys don't work that way. When people see a purpose and meaning, they are willing to contribute - and when contributing, they grow as individuals and thus continues to contribute. It's dialectics, in the good old-fashioned marxistic sense of the word.

deepwater says:

Last week, the Heritage Foundation published commentary on the number of Americans who pay income tax, and decried the fact that 49.5 percent of Americans are “not represented on a taxable return.” The Daily Mail then picked up the statistics and announced that “HALF of Americans don’t pay income tax despite crippling government debt.”

To its credit, the body of the Heritage post began with a reference to the “the sharp increase of Americans who rely on the federal government for housing, food, income, student aid or other assistance.” The emphasis of the piece, however, and thus, the emphasis of the other news outlets and pundits who have picked up on the statistic, is that too few people pay taxes.

The increase in reliance on government assistance is the problem here, not a lack of people who pay income tax.

Yet, it has become something of a right-wing talking point to claim that a declining number of taxpayers among some income groups is a nefarious development in American history.

The emphasis on the lack of taxpayers is getting the whole issue backward. The problem is the increase of income from government transfer payments. There is nothing bad whatsoever about fewer people paying income taxes.

The Conservative obsession with getting people to pay more in taxes comes from a preoccupation with class warfare in which it is assumed that if middle-class and wealthy people are paying too much in taxes (which they are), then the solution is to punish low-income people by making them pay more in taxes. It’s allegedly not “fair” if everyone is not being extorted by the state in a similar fashion.

Matthew says:

Well said, Deepwater. The biggest threat to peace, liberty, and prosperity is government.

Money May has already said that he hates paying taxes. That is the reason why he was fighting once a years, he claimed. Holla at his interviews after Mosley's bout and before Ortiz. Money May has a tax deal set up with th U.S. government to ease off, so that he can fight multi times in the next two years. Money makers make deals with corrupted money-grabbing U.S. government all the time.

BTW, Raiders, holla at VICE on HBO. American are investing in Somalia with Pinoy business persons like me, who has multi-citizenship because money talks and rules. Bullsyet walks and going down syet stools. Holla!

deepwater says:

that is correct man! the massive welfare and warfare state are funded by 50% of Americans. the other 50 % pay no taxes. most government employees pay no taxes and do not get in trouble. the government is the government and the People are the People.

Matthew says:

The American colonists revolted against the British for far less than what our government does to us now.

deepwater says:

Money May has already said that he hates paying taxes. That is the reason why he was fighting once a year, he claimed. Holla at his interviews after Mosley's bout and before Ortiz. Money May has a tax deal set up with th U.S. government to ease off, so that he can fight multi times in the next two years. Money makers make deals with corrupted money-grabbing U.S. government all the time.

good job man. I am working on my second passport for a bit now.

Carmine Cas says:

Because the government is not nearly as transparent as it was then. The 4th aka the media has the majority of people hypnotized by corporate bs

Raiders says:

You know it's like the line Obama got into trouble for, when he said you didn't build that, if you ever heard the whole speech he says the roads and the infrastructure, which is true. Mares came here with nothing, he got 375,000 on Saturday, the goverment problably took half so he might be upset, however the structure to make sure he has the ability to make such a large amount is in part due to the goverment, he's in the USA for a reason, he could be a multi-millionaire and in many places that's not possible. I saw someone say Pinoys are investing in Somalia, they might regret that when the latest Somalian goverment collapes and a militia comes and takes their business. I'm close to the immigration experience and people would laugh at you coming from where my family is from. Anyway as far as boxing if I'm Golden Boy I put on a show against it.

#1 CUT government spending its freaking outrageous.

Then cut government workers in half like the house and senate.

Then cut their salaries from $200,000 to $65,000.

There's a damn start.

This government has ruined society and makes it hard to live.

13 trillion in debt and they continue to throw money away.

It's time for a revolt since there is no change.

deepwater says:

If you actually believe that ok. The govnment built the roads. Where Did the gov get the $ for the projects? Taxes from the people. Could a private company not build a road? Do our taxes pay for the upkeep of roads or do the fees and tolls? I would say mares is making decent money despite the gov interference . Since you are ok with the gov taking half of mares property would you object to 75% ?What did the American people do from 1776 to 1913 with no federal income tax? I guess there were no roads pre 1913.pinoys would be wise to invest in Somalia since china is taking over there also. China is investing in all African countries and are getting mineral,rare earth,gold/silver mining rights. But china didn't build it either. Someone else did.

Raiders, I don't know your angle. The governments of the world are global. Whatever local crooks are in the government at the time doesn't matter. A need never goes a way. And your investments are insured anyway.

You need to understand how the world economy works. Apparently, you don't. The USA is in debt to Saudi Arabia, China, Taiwan, Japan, and India. I'm also invested in those places. Holla!