CSAC Discusses Transgender Athletes, Pension Plans and Judge Evaluations

BY David A. Avila ON April 23, 2013

david avila, tss, fallon foxLOS ANGELES-It looks like the state of California is tackling the transgender issue in the fight game.

California State Athletic Commission has decided to look into whether transgender athletes should be allowed to compete with other prizefighters. A subcommittee was formed to look into the complicated issue.

Fallon Fox (seen above), a transgender female, seeks to compete against female prizefighters in California and took the first official step at the CSAC meeting at Ronald Reagan Building. She was represented by a team consisting of three women including Amy Whelan and Helen Carroll from the National Center for Lesbian Rights.

Dr. Paul Wallace who works with CSAC said that, “its been an interesting process. I’ve already been contacted by 12 other commissions.”

Fox was not present.

Two subcommittees were formed to look into the transgender competition issue.

Executive Officer Andy Foster emphasized that the rest of the country is looking to see what process CSAC takes on the issue.

“I think that it’s important to do it right,” said Foster.

Advisors estimate the process should take at least a year.

“It still has to go through the regulatory process,” said Michael Santiago, senior staff counsel for CSAC.

Pension Plan, Grading Officials and other stuff

With a build-up of more than $5 million accumulated through the boxing pension plan since the early 1980s CSAC decided on early requests from former junior lightweight world champion Gabriel Ruelas and fighter George Parra.

Both Ruelas and Parra asked to be given their pension monies though neither is at the minimum 50-year-old age requirement. But both satisfy the amount of rounds and years needed to qualify in California.

“I need it. I’m homeless,” said Parra, 45. “How low can I go.”

CSAC 6-0 voted to give Ruelas and Parra their pension monies.

“We’ve been having a hard time finding the boxers,” said Commissioner VanBuren Lemon about the inability to dole out pension money because of the unknown whereabouts of many of the retired boxers that qualify.

Judging the judges and referees

The Commission also voted to use a grading list devised by the late Larry Rozadilla and used by prior commissions to assess the judges and referees after prizefights.

Commissioner Martha Shen-Urquidez asked to reinstate the evaluation process that proved successful in her opinion. Others agree that a change is necessary to have the best officials especially on the major fight cards.

“We’re not always using our best officials,” said Executive Officer Foster, who is a former mixed martial arts fighter. “If you have a (referee) John McCarthy sitting on the sideline, that’s a tragedy.”

The Commission also wants a better system of assigning the best referees and judges to fight cards instead of basing assignments on geographic locale.

Next Meeting

CSAC voted to have the next meeting on June 10 in Los Angeles. Chairman John Frierson asked that meetings be held more frequently, perhaps once a month or every six weeks.

deepwater says:

Transgendered woman = man that cuts his cook off. That's it. That's the reality . Born a man then you are a man no matter what surgeries ,wigs makeup you wear. Listen if these people want to marry a shoe it is fine with me,live and let live but fighting sports is something different. People get hurt. A man in makeup can kill a female . Can I be a lion? I feel like a lion. I want my rights to be a lion! Seriously the nuts should just legalize men vs woman in every sport. Men vs woman in football basketball hockey.

Ditto deepwater.

How is this not crazy unsafe?

This is a dude smashing women wtf.

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe! Hahahahahaha! There goes Deepwater taking 'em deep, drowning 'em with reality and actuality and calling a spade a SPADE. OMFG! I wish that I could do this without cyberspace knuckleheads bulling me. WOW! Go on, DEEPWATER! You da MAN!

CSAC is corrupted and dumb as a straw-made log cabin. The wolf would huff and buff and blow dat muthasucka down. Those in da game with a brain, the CSAC cannot clown.

Let the transgender dude fight other man without a penis, or just let the corrupted-arse alphabet-sanctioning organization come up with another catagory for transgender boxers. And those penis-less bytches could have an alternate fighting options if they are good enough and can fight. [Skills pay the bills and talent will get you over any hill.] The freaks -- and that is what they are -- could became double champions -- champions in the male divisions with penises, and champions in the transgender divisions without penises. Bottomline, BABBBEEEEE! A spade is a spade and cannot be phonied up and remade. Holla!

This ain't right.... No way, No how. If you clone a transgender female..all you get is another male.
If he lacks the cajones to beat another male. Don't give him a license to beat up women.

ultimoshogun says:

I think Cyborg would wreck that chick/dude.[ATTACH=CONFIG]72[/ATTACH]

deepwater says:

transgender boxing league ! ann wolfe would wup that dude!

Hehehehe! I, of course, second Deepwater. Ann Wolfe would whup dat dude's transforming @SS! Let da penisless dude call that woman, since he wants to fight a dame, damsell or doll. Holla!

Grimm says:

Be gentle, boys.

As it happens, I've studied this. Don't laugh. During my university days, I ran across one of the best articles I've ever read - and this was the topic. A person changing their sex does more than cut ther dicks off - a lot more. For years, they nibble oestrogen at such levels they develope female forms - and, vice versa, lose muscle. The consequences of having the organs removed & replaced adds to this internal process, where the bodys actually change.

With that said, there could still be a difference - big enough to render second thoughts for a woman to fight a transgender. But, hey, if it's all in the open, why not let said woman make that choice? It's not like these transgender women have been juicing in secrecy. Everobody knows what they've been taking, and it aint testosteron.

Btw, in Thailand there are babes born boys that fight in Muay Thai. They're fighting boys, though.

deepwater says:

Be gentle, boys.

unless a mad scientist can alter a persons deoxyribonucleic acid then all the drugs and hormones do not mean a thing. the pic shows it all, a muscular dude wearing makeup and braids with fake breast implants.bone structure and muscle mass way different between the sexes. alot of things happen in thailand that are not cool. the girl boy triangle. meaning heroin and kids trafficking . like I said I feel like a lion. if I grow my beard out and pin a tail on my *** am I lion? if I go to the vet and take vitamins for lions and I start to roar am I a lion? chers daughter takes hormones and drew a fake mustache and turned her vagina inside out and calls herself a man. is she a man? people can marry anyone, have sex with a shoe or anything else in regular life but this is a blood sport. unless its everything goes a 100% woman vs 100% man in head to head combat. I will say if this is allowed then the whole court legal system should be adjusted. no more domestic battery cases favoring woman. I f a man on hormones can knock woman out for entertainment legally then you better let alot of the dudes in there out of the slammer for hitting their women. dna tells the story.it is what it is.

Grimm, I hear you. In the Philippines, Hong Kong and Taiwan that is the deal too -- "babes boys fight in Muay Thai" against females and most of the times, the he-shes lose. It is a whole different combat discipline. See in Muay Thai, it's mostly a lot of mad leg-and-foot action. And because females have more innate leg and feet strength and power, snap and speed than men, they are primarily equal in that form of martial combat. And it a hard science that this is because nature has prepared females for fifty years that they can get pregnant and have to carry and move, walk and run with up to 30 pregnancies in a lifetime. Women have mean, mad KICK. And with their legs, they can whup any dick.

Boxing and wrestling are ancient combat sports that were made strickly for man because of our superior upper body power and strength. Muay Thai, Ku Fung, Taikuan do and any other Asian martial combat was made for both genders -- especially the women -- to be able to fight foreign invaders from Europe and Africa during ancient times and even now. Our Asian dames, damsels and dolls can whup arses with the strong legs. Holla!

Before some bigot jumps in my syet -- because of Asian hate -- I was talking about strong legs for striking speed, power and strength, not RUNNING or high or long JUMPING. Holla!

Well thats just freakin weird. Dude looks like a lady up there might try some MMA. Ronda Rousey will break his... uh.. her arm. Dude kinda looks like Sammy Sosa.

Bernie Campbell says:

Its all politics, Mr Avila youre just trying to publisize your cause to get attention! This article doesnt warrant attention! Any transexual that enters in combat sports is not doing it for the love of the sport! Its for an axe to grind, for publicity! I dont care if it was Mickey Rooney fighting in a match! Id cheer him on for the honest competition! You make a farce of this website and an arse of your readers! I dont even agree in women boxing!

Grimm says:

@deep: I don't entirely agree with you, but respect - you make a good argument.

@radam: You're right about the differences between the sports. Elite female practicioners of the kicking arts can whack and crack both skulls and legs with their kicks.

Is this a real question if your born a man your a man period.

B-Camp, be easy! No darn friscoes' jive! Hahaha! Holla!

deepwater says:

This girl from my team will knock this guy out!

That girl has some skill deep,

but unfortunately this He/she is a damn HE.

A damn man.

How is a fight like this even sanctioned?

The chick, formerly a dick, is not yet sanctioned. [S]he wants to be. I say NO! NO! NO! Let he[r] fight against the guys, as came-outta-da-closet gay Orlando Cruz does. This chick, former a dick, can make big-time history. [S]he and Orlando can fight for a world title that will surely be created by one of the crooked alphabet-sanction organization.

Just imagine [S]he and Orlando will make BIG PAY in the first world title match between a transgender and gaybender. Hahahaha! OMFG! Orlando has already made serious money endorsement BLING-BLING! Now just imagine how much moola can be made between a gay guy and a former guy, who has no ding-a-ling.

deepwater says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;29505]The chick, formerly a dick, is not yet sanctioned. [S]he wants to be. I say NO! NO! NO! Let he[r] fight against the guys, as came-outta-da-closet gay Orlando Cruz does. This [transgender] chick, former a dick, can make big-time history and get madly PAID! [S]he and Orlando can fight for a world title that will surely be created by one of the crooked alphabet-sanction organization.

Ching,ching! Da game is prizefighting. Get dat prize. It doesn't matter what your poison may be. I think that the transgender oughta grow some cojones and pick a fight with the straight and gay pugilists. Holla![/QUOTE]

Lol lol. Darnell the ding a ling man Wilson . This dude can be known as " no ding a ling man" Cruz is ok and at least fights dudes

Radam that is the first time I've laughed in exactly 14 days.

" (S)he". -----> hilarious.

Welcome back! I'm glad that your mourning period is getting easier and better. Holla!

Thx Radam.

Im trying.

It's a daily battle.

This sh!t is crazy ain't no way in hell this should be allowed.