Alvarez Beats Trout by Disputed Decision

BY Raymond Markarian ON April 21, 2013

Saul-Canelo-Alvarez-Wins-4202013Canelo Alvarez and Austin Trout came to the Alamodome as undefeated fighters looking to prove their worth. It was the toughest test for both. The fight was close. But the scorecards showed different. Alvarez won a unanimous decision 115-112 116-111 and 118-109. TSS scored the bout 115-112 for Austin Trout.

Trout controlled the action early with the jab while Canelo stayed on the outside looking for an avenue to get inside to throw power shots. Canelo came out with more aggression in Round three and connected with multiple right hands that found their way to the target. He closed the round with a good right cross to Trout's chest.

At the beginning of Round seven, Canelo's overhand right sent Trout to the canvas for the first time in his career. Trout beat the count, gave Canelo a wink of approval for throwing a good shot, and regained his footing. But Canelo wobbled him again towards the end of the round. Trout returned to form in Round 8 backing Canelo to the ropes with straight shots.

It was a difficult fight to score because Trout kept Canelo at bay with the jab but Canelo landed the harder shots. However the WBC granted an open scoring system for the fight. And both corners learned that Canelo was winning on the judges' scorecards by a wide margin. Trout turned stalker and needed a knockout to win but did not have enough mustard on his punches to shock his suddenly defensive foe. Canelo won a unanimous decision. Trout was surprisingly gracious in defeat. TSS thought Trout won. But there was no talk of a rematch from either fighter.

You can follow Ray on Twitter @Raymarkarian

deepwater says:

What a surprise. A disputed outcome. Never would have guessed it.

Most people predicted the red-headed hype in a disputed decision. And that was the way it was. Holla!

DaveB says:

To all fighters: Don't fight Canelo in Texas. Regardless if anyone scored the fight for him that fight was a close fight. Even if I was Mayweather I wouldn't fight that sucker in Texas.

riverside says:

Who is Ray Markarian? just his opinion. Trout turn stalker?WTF firing bullets up in the air during battle doesn't make you the winner.IMO, the fight was close in Canelo's edge, but not disputed.

SouthPaul says:

Exactly (firing shots into the air). Trout has an extensive amateur career and he resorted back to that style last night.

Hey Riverside,... good call,.... no great call, I never saw this coming.

So I'm ready for my plate of crow now.

but because of the circumstances..

whick include an intentionally overly spongy ring, that took away some of Trouts movement.

2 WBC judges. (Suliman lurking around the area)

and the TEXAS(hometown) factor.

I should only have to eat the wing and a neckbone.

But if Trout can say after the fight "He lost to the Better, Stronger, Smarter, Faster Man" ....who am I to bi*tch too much about it.

Trout landed more punches but Canelo landed some hard shots and got the Knockdown.

I would have called it a draw or it could have been a spit decision either way.

After Trouts' extremely effective performance against Cotto,... he clearly reverted back to the overly cautious style he used against Delvin Rodriguez... fanning the air with useless jabs that kept falling short by a mile, (even though he had the height and reach advantage)... and not trusting in his abilities on the inside.

Somewhere along the line Canelo got inside his head, and between his fear of getting hit back and his desire to win, Trouts dreams of dominating Canelo on his own turf failed to materialize.

Canelo proved he can be a wiley player as he repeated sacrificed 2 pawns to get a knight by dropping his hands and falling back into the ropes. After the 2nd or 3rd sucker-punch you would think any boxer would get hip to the pattern.

In the end I really wasn't impressed by either fighter, and will promptly delete this stinker from the list of 27 entertaining fights I currently have on dvr.

Whose next? (Trout has to rebuild first)

Vanes Martyrosian?
Erislandy Lara?
El Pero Angulo?
Willie Nelson?
Jonathon Gonzalez?
Keith Thurman?
Carlos Molina?
Ishe Smith?
Miguel Cotto?
Floyd Mayweather?
Zaurbek Baysangurov?
Sairhei Rabchanka?
Cornelius Bundrage?
GGG?

Canelo's stock has risen.. how far will he go?

SouthPaul says:

Lmfao@ which include an intentionally overly spongy ring, that took away some of Trouts movement. Good read but don't reach too much here or else your arm might fall off. Lol

B-sug Ishe Smith, Keith Thurman or Angulo would be his best options

Raiders says:

Spongey ring? How do you live with yourself?

Canleo defense and boxing skills r so underrated. I watched the fight again this morning and Alvarez are elite.

SouthPaul says:

Good observation, Ali, some of Canelo's effort has been totally drowned out by the sour grapes of those who predicted Trout to win. I've read countless times now..."neither guy impressed me" most of those comments coming from Trout backers . Really? Wow, tough standards, ya know? Gimme' a effin' break... Canelo's stock went up... So did his learning curb.

Spongey ring? How do you live with yourself?

Hey...don't kill the messenger...sounds odd but its been reported on several sites...just saying.
I've eaten plate of crow and Canelo has traversed his greatest hurdle.
I salute all the guys who picked the winner.

It is petty to report a trick of the trade after the fact. Team Trout could have gotten the canvas corrected, but they were overconfident. No need for bytching and crying after the BIG score. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Petty and comical, I giggled out loud when I read that portion of his write up. Overall, good read, appreciate the detailed contribution from Brown Suga'.

By the way, I'm reminded of how Baby Radam G had to hear nonsense about the late GTOAT Angie Dundee loosening the ring ropes when he actually tightened them -- in the famed "Rumble in the Jungle" back in the day.

The best trick of the trade to me was "Hitman" Ricky Hatton's magic shoestring one a few year ago. That was a classic. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Elaborate on the magical shoe string????? Wtf......?????!????!?

Good observation, Ali, some of Canelo's effort has been totally drowned out by the sour grapes of those who predicted Trout to win. I've read countless times now(on a variety of message boards).."neither guy impressed me" most of those comments coming from Trout backers . Really? Wow, tough standards, ya know? Gimme' a effin' break... Canelo's stock went up... So did his learning curb. If the rematch comes off....that'll be telling. I assure you ..you'll see plenty of Trout detractors jumping on the Canelo wagon. Canelo stops Trout in less than 8 rounds next time around. I promise!

Great post fam

I've eaten plate of crow and Canelo has traversed his greatest hurdle.
I salute all the guys who picked the winner.

B-sug Props for being a stand up dude.

Just google it, SP. It will come up. I was in Redcoat Land across the pond at that bout. And every time Ricky got hurtingly pop, his shoestring would come untried. I can't recall the name of the fighter who he was dancing with, but I believe it was the "Hispanic Causing Panic" from around Riverside or L.A. Holla!

bigstinkybug says:

B-sug Ishe Smith, Keith Thurman or Angulo would be his best options

[COLOR="#B22222">Id like to see Thurman vs Trout..wouldn't that be a hell of a fight.

Carmine Cas says:

It was a good, fight I have to watch it again. I think it could have gone either way. I kind of like the idea of open scoring cuz it motivates the fighters to articulate their game plan to the particular situation and more competitive bout

Id like to see Thurman vs Trout..wouldn't that be a hell of a fight.

I agree Big, now that Trout and the world knows his chin can be dented, Thurman would go right at Trout without hesitation. Probably taking a little punishment along the way, while the tension escalates.

RG....I reserve the right to do a little petty bi*tching when my predictions go awry.
and when a spongy, soggy canvas is involved.

Otherwise Canelo performed better than expected.

thanks Ali.... although I probably do a little more sitting than standing...
that makes us even on predictions since I called Rigo last week.
we'll see what unfolds on 4/27 in Action Packed April.

SouthPaul says:

Agreed to the open scoring . If it wasn't Canelo protecting his lead , which to be honest, was a bit of a stretch ..he pretty much fought the round similar to the rest but had Trout drawn the conclusion himself he was winning ..coulda' very well sat on his lead too. In the end it smoked one guy out of his comfort zone hole. You mention Rewatching it? That's another thing to keep in mind when we fans are rewinding , reexamining, frame by frame all week ...with our accountant hats on...calculators to the right of us ...crunching stat numbers ... Rearranging the scores over and over ......remind yourselves the judges only get one opportunity.

DaveB says:

I'd love to see Thurman vs. Alvarez. I'm still not impressed by either guy last night because it was a stinker of a fight. Neither guy really pressed the action. It's not bad that Alvarez won because there is more up side to his fights because he is potentially a superstar in the making. I respect him for taking what seemed to be a tough fight but it turned out to be lackluster. He got more credit simply because he hits harder. What is going to happen when someone can return fire?

Hehehe! Go on with yo' bad self! Let it out --NO DOUBT! Holla!

maromero says:

Canelo should get Rigondeaux's trainer, I think he can train all kinds of fighters

jzzy says:

I commend both fighters on their efforts, it was a competitive and entertaining fight. Trout has a difficult style to solve but I expected more
aggresion from Canelo. The Mexican is clearly a work in progress, he's improved his defense alot and passed this test. Certainly, the fight was
alot closer than the official cards. Trout was a winner too with the way he conducted himself after the knockdown and post fight, his future is
also bright.

Carmine Cas says:

Yes, I had a little too much too drink that's why I want to rewatch it lol

ultimoshogun says:

I agree with the consensus that this was a tough one to score. Honestly, I can see how some had it a draw or a win for Trout. I wasn't so sure myself, Canelo had it won until they announced the scores..and Trout's demeaner after the final bell was very telling that he felt he had lost too... Major props to him for making no excuses. Canelo's defense was looking pretty good, but offensively he looked a little off his game..I'm sure Trout's D had a lot to do with it, but I was expecting way more of a body assault from Canelo. And it bugged me how he took the final round off (De La Hoya style) instead of closing strong. I'd like to see him in there with a tough banger like Angulo next...someone who will make it a real dog fight and force him to work for three minutes of every round.

JUST so that you guys KNOW! Trout's demeanor was like that because he knew that by the judges he lost because according to the scores, he would have needed a KAYO to WIN! His at-the-end demeanor was clearly from the affects of the way the judges was scoring -- a near shout.

I double fudge SUPER HATE that JIVE annnouncing syet after every fourth rounds or any round. Back in the day -- I don't remember which one -- an Alphabet bytch-sanctioning organization tried that nonsense. It causes fighters to quit on the stools, because according to the scores they were not going to win -- had no chance -- so they would quit in the seventh, eighth or ninth round. That announcing scores between rounds immediately STOP so many stool quit and fans bytching about because they paid GOOD MONEY to see a combat contest!

C'mon great pugilist investigating TSS Journalist S-To, help a P-playa' out. I know that you can dig up haps on that. Holla!

deepwater says:

that is correct. With open scoring a fighter can go into prevent defense and run out the clock.not good at all. would Chavez sr dance around and stop throwing punches if he knew he was up big on the cards? Chavez Sr would keep going full steam ahead. Chavez Sr is organic. canelo is a corporate hype job.

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

The judge's scorecards were horrible, I had it a draw or a one point victory for Canelo because of the knockdown. As the punch stats illustrate, Trout landed more punches over all and the fight was very close. Canelo needs to pick up his work rate or it will come back to haunt him. He exhibited improved defense, but Mayweather would pick him a part!

DaveB says:

Yeah Radam, I remember the back in the day open scoring too. What a disaster. They would actually let everyone in the stadium know what the scorecards were. It was a complete failure. That has to kill a fighter's will if he was behind and make the other fighter play it safe. And it is distasteful and kills the suspense for the fans. It doesn't serve any purpose at all. Getting back to the fight. I agree with everyone that says the fight was close. I can understand how people could have it any of three ways. I never argue with anyone's decision in a close fight like this. It all depends on what people like. In no way was this a robbery. I agree that this was a test for Alvarez. He passed the test but he will have to pick up the pace to be the best he can be. Too many lulls in this fight. I know the dude is only 22 and there must have been a lot of pressure on him. He will grow and become better. Trout will have to be the fighter he was one fight ago. He cannot shrink back to his former self. He has set the bar high for himself now. People expect more from him and he should from himself also.

DaveB says:

Canelo really needs to work on his Stamina

Even against Shane he took a lot of time off in numerous rounds.

The 40 year old was busier it seemed.

Canelo did look good defensively but he does need

maybe not be more offensive but maybe control the pace

and distance more while not throwing punches

so it looks like he isn't just being inactive and

running away.